First Division

Waterford v Longford Town
Wexford v Athlone
Cobh v Galway
Kerry v Treaty
Finn Harps v Bray (20:00)

sbgawa
04/07/2023, 9:39 AM
Interesting weekend with several big games.
Wins for the top 4 would establish a 7 point gap to Bohs in 5th (admittedly the top 4 will have 2 extra games played).
On the other hand a win for Bohs and they are 1 point behind Dundalk with 2 games in hand ...the clasic 6 pointer.

Huge game for Rovers and 1 we have to win imop , i expect Bradser to play our best team regardless of Europe next week..
Derry need to beat Sligo and which sligo team shows up will determine that more then Derry.
Pats might be titel favourites after the weekend, they are certainly the in form team.

Cobh v Galway will be interesting, i expect Galway to win but Shane Keegan is doing a good job with Cobh, rebuilding his reputation and youd imagine if he can keep ot up will be in the conversation the next time there is a vacancy at Premier level

Jd2793
04/07/2023, 9:44 AM
Interesting weekend with several big games.
Wins for the top 4 would establish a 7 point gap to Bohs in 5th (admittedly the top 4 will have 2 extra games played).
On the other hand a win for Bohs and they are 1 point behind Dundalk with 2 games in hand ...the clasic 6 pointer.

Huge game for Rovers and 1 we have to win imop , i expect Bradser to play our best team regardless of Europe next week..
Derry need to beat Sligo and which sligo team shows up will determine that more then Derry.
Pats might be titel favourites after the weekend, they are certainly the in form team.

Cobh v Galway will be interesting, i expect Galway to win but Shane Keegan is doing a good job with Cobh, rebuilding his reputation and youd imagine if he can keep ot up will be in the conversation the next time there is a vacancy at Premier level

can see keegan being in the frame for the city job come november provided of course things dont blow up down in cobh.

nigel-harps1954
04/07/2023, 11:02 AM
An altogether different Harps this week I'd expect. Fairly sure 8 or the 9 new signings are available and I'd expect most of them to be straight into the team. Could go any way. First home game of the season I miss too, which is a pain in the ar$e.

JC_GUFC
04/07/2023, 11:21 AM
can see keegan being in the frame for the city job come november provided of course things dont blow up down in cobh.

I'd be amazed if he's in with any chance of that job.

He's done a great job at Cobh as he did at Wexford before but his tenure at Galway, although enjoyable, was a disaster.

Look at some of the players we had in 2017: Colm Horgan, Lee Grace, Stephen Folan, David Cawley, Gavan Hoolahan, Vinny Faherty, Ronan Murray, Kevin Devaney. There's absolutely no way we should have been relegated.

I think he's much better suited to a small club building up younger players, playing nice football. Obviously managers can learn but there was no ruthlessness at all. We kept only one clean sheet in the league all season. We needed to just shut up shop towards the end of the season when battling with Sligo - I think they kept 3 clean sheets in their last 4 to stay up. We had a 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 and 3-4!

2 Year Contract
04/07/2023, 11:55 AM
I'd be amazed if he's in with any chance of that job.

He's done a great job at Cobh as he did at Wexford before but his tenure at Galway, although enjoyable, was a disaster.

Look at some of the players we had in 2017: Colm Horgan, Lee Grace, Stephen Folan, David Cawley, Gavan Hoolahan, Vinny Faherty, Ronan Murray, Kevin Devaney. There's absolutely no way we should have been relegated.

I think he's much better suited to a small club building up younger players, playing nice football. Obviously managers can learn but there was no ruthlessness at all. We kept only one clean sheet in the league all season. We needed to just shut up shop towards the end of the season when battling with Sligo - I think they kept 3 clean sheets in their last 4 to stay up. We had a 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 and 3-4!

In fairness 2017 was exceptional circumstances with 3 automatic relegation places. Galway got 35 points that season in 33 games, which would’ve been enough to avoid the relegation playoff place in 2018, 2019 and 2022 which were all 36 game seasons.

Jd2793
04/07/2023, 1:07 PM
yeah i think he was a bit naive at galway for sure. when you look back at the players they had it was crazy they got relegated. i do think hes improved a bit alright over time. definitely not as idealistic as he was before. fair point on a smaller club suiting him. the fact hes close enough to us down here as it is along with the news that we've seemingly not been able to get 2 or 3 of our managerial targets over the line makes me think he will be someone who will be looked at.
by all accounts we are shopping at cobh for players this summer, jesus wept.

Shearer
04/07/2023, 1:20 PM
Not a hope in hell.

Kiki Balboa
04/07/2023, 1:28 PM

Sounds like the perfect UCD man :)

Jd2793
04/07/2023, 1:35 PM
Not a hope in hell.

what makes you think usher can attract another gaffer? we've just signed one of cobhs subs. the club is turning over a profit , transfer fees from young lads + 3.5k+ gate every home game and yet thats where we are shopping for players in a relegation battle. keegan will mentioned 100%. he'd be a good bit down anyones list but we've already had 4 managers turn us down so his turn cant be far away.

2 Year Contract
04/07/2023, 2:35 PM
he'd be a good bit down anyones list but we've already had 4 managers turn us down so his turn cant be far away.

Who are the 4 that turned the job down?

Jd2793
04/07/2023, 3:00 PM
Who are the 4 that turned the job down?

baraclough (apparently) + 2/3 more , buckley said in a press conference last week they had approached managers but they couldnt come to an agreement with them.

kksaints
04/07/2023, 3:02 PM
Keegan has a good job with Laois GAA, he might not want a full time managerial role.

2 Year Contract
05/07/2023, 8:33 AM
Had to laugh at Fleetwood's first ever dose of LOI refereeing. Ah the innocence in them :)

https://twitter.com/ftfc/status/1676333082364850176?s=46

patsdad
05/07/2023, 12:04 PM

Get away out of that, we're doing our best to stay below the radar.

Move along, nothing to see here.

I heard Paul Corry say on the radio last week that Rovers will win it by at least 10 points.

HarveyHD
05/07/2023, 12:30 PM
what makes you think usher can attract another gaffer? we've just signed one of cobhs subs. the club is turning over a profit , transfer fees from young lads + 3.5k+ gate every home game and yet thats where we are shopping for players in a relegation battle. keegan will mentioned 100%. he'd be a good bit down anyones list but we've already had 4 managers turn us down so his turn cant be far away.

Keegan could become a 5th :)

Shearer
06/07/2023, 7:25 PM
Bit nervy about Treaty's chances tomorrow vs Kerry. No particular reason other than we've not lost our last two and the inconsistency of teams in the division means we're due, surely!

joey B
06/07/2023, 8:18 PM
Bit nervy about Treaty's chances tomorrow vs Kerry. No particular reason other than we've not lost our last two and the inconsistency of teams in the division means we're due, surely!

You'll be grand,its only us who cant beat them!

Nesta99
07/07/2023, 7:39 AM
Get away out of that, we're doing our best to stay below the radar.

Move along, nothing to see here.

I heard Paul Corry say on the radio last week that Rovers will win it by at least 10 points.

You're learning patsdad!

legendz
07/07/2023, 7:54 AM
Treaty were awesome in the Markets Field a few weeks back. Deservedly picking up a few more wins afterwards. Another tough evening ahead. Great performance by Kerry in Galway last week, great save by the Galway keeper to deny Kerry what would have been a fair draw. Kerry's inconsistency suggests a below par performance is next.

Stuttgart88
07/07/2023, 10:17 AM

Which side has won most points since Daly took over?

Rovers are very streaky but I'd disregard Oriel as I thought the pitch made the game a lottery. I have no idea what to expect at Drogheda though, a real bogey team. Probably lots of possession but will concede a stupid goal in transition. Seems to happen very regularly and throughout Bradley's tenure not just this season. For a team with such experienced defenders we make lots of dumb defensive mistakes too.

joey B
07/07/2023, 10:48 AM
Pats have 25 ,Rovers have 22 in 11 games if I’ve counted right…..

Stuttgart88
07/07/2023, 11:33 AM
So Pats really are in this race you'd think...

Jd2793
07/07/2023, 11:48 AM
pats are bang in this race. euro hangovers will decide how far pats/derry can push rovers.

Jack B
07/07/2023, 11:56 AM
Calm down everyone. We'd still be happy with top 3 and making a fist of Europe/the cup.

brendy_éire
07/07/2023, 12:41 PM

Bang about Sligo. They've lost, then won, so they're due a draw? Hard to know really, but Derry should have Patching, Fats, and Duffy, along with our two new signings. It'll at least make the bench look at bit healthier; it's been a lot of younger lads the past few weeks. Do reckon it'll be a draw though.

sbgawa
07/07/2023, 4:16 PM
If the same team plays tonight that playus agaisnt Dundalk , same result , another loss

placid casual
07/07/2023, 5:52 PM
Another weak side put out by braddser tonight. I expect a difficult evening

Nesta99
07/07/2023, 6:24 PM
If the same team plays tonight that playus agaisnt Dundalk , same result , another loss

In Bradley we trust! We miss Ezekial to point out the limiations...

sbgawa
07/07/2023, 6:40 PM
In Bradley we trust! We miss Ezekial to point out the limiations...

I don't miss him but I do ?.
Expect to lose tonight, we have been so poor in what is the worst league in years. No excuses, it's just not good enough. Full time squad away to part timers.

culloty82
07/07/2023, 7:05 PM
Makes a change for us to score in the opening minutes of a match!

legendz
07/07/2023, 7:12 PM
Makes a change for us to score in the opening minutes of a match!
The pixelot camera is being used for the LOITV coverage. The opening goal wasn't caught on camera! 1-1 now.

legendz
07/07/2023, 7:22 PM
1-2 to Treaty. The pixelot camera has missed a second goal.

Calcio Jack
07/07/2023, 7:32 PM
Insipid stuff again from Rovers…. Drogs not up to much but well organised…. Expect usual script that they’ll score one and we’ll huff and puff and lose

Kiki Balboa
07/07/2023, 7:47 PM

Rovers fans are hilarious sometimes. Yours starting eleven still probably has the most experience across the league tonight.

Calcio Jack
07/07/2023, 7:48 PM
Rovers fans are hilarious sometimes. Yours starting eleven still probably has the most experience across the league tonight.

They may have but they are playing crap

placid casual
07/07/2023, 8:20 PM

Andy Boyle has a lot of experience but I wouldn't want him in my teams starting 11.

pineapple stu
07/07/2023, 8:25 PM
In fairness, a team with Gaffney, Watts, Burke, Lopes, Cleary, Hoare plus a couple of players from what's supposed to be the LoI's strongest academy can't be that weak, especially when up against a part-time side. And Finn and Greene on as subs now.

I've never felt Bradley was getting the best out that Rovers squad tbh

pineapple stu
07/07/2023, 8:33 PM
In other news, when you deserve to lose 4-0 at home to Shels, you know things are pretty bad

Nesta99
07/07/2023, 8:45 PM
Andy Boyle has a lot of experience but I wouldn't want him in my teams starting 11.

You may not but Bradly would have him as first name on the team sheet if it was possible - just to spite fans. (for the record I dont think he is a massive loss to Dundalk with his injury).

Calcio Jack
07/07/2023, 8:46 PM
In fairness, a team with Gaffney, Watts, Burke, Lopes, Cleary, Hoare plus a couple of players from what's supposed to be the LoI's strongest academy can't be that weak, especially when up against a part-time side. And Finn and Greene on as subs now.

Not saying it was a weak side albeit it was a weakened side - saying this and last week were very poor performances…. And despite that we’re still 4 points ahead …. So guess we’re doing more right than others … as an aside in 7 matches against Cork/Drogs/Shels this season have won none and taken only 5 points

Shinkicker
07/07/2023, 8:50 PM
Have to say first 20 mins fantastic tempo and quality. Then sat back and got what they deserved. When they turned it on again they fully deserved the 3-2 win and possibly should have more.
I will say Clarke was the game changer. He introduced so much energy

Bunny Kelly
07/07/2023, 8:55 PM

Bradley has always reminded me of a Frank de Boer at Ajax, you can pick up titles from being the manager in a well run club with the best infrastructure but it is more a reflection on the club than on the manager. Obviously some credit is deserved for not messing things up but I'm not sure I'd have faith with Bradley in a tougher gig

Nesta99
07/07/2023, 9:03 PM
Wasted opportunity by St Pats and Dundalk or different reasons. Pressure would really have been on Rovers prior to Europe, still is. 4 points and yer looking over te shoulder 2 and and there is no wriggle room to rotate too much between europe and domestic fixtures. A clubs businessmen will want Europe targeted over a league. Dundalk needed to build that gap back to 5th (+games in hand) and a very small hint of making an impact on a league run in, shouldnt have let the win slip in the last 10 minutes. Some dreadful wasted points from strong positions tbh. Derry still clinging in there!

Calcio Jack
07/07/2023, 9:06 PM
Bradley has always reminded me of a Frank de Boer at Ajax, you can pick up titles from being the manager in a well run club with the best infrastructure but it is more a reflection on the club than on the manager. Obviously some credit is deserved for not messing things up but I'm not sure I'd have faith with Bradley in a tougher gig

Going for a unprecedented 4 in a row ( except of course only by Rovers) and the co architect of the academy that means we have an unprecedented level of sustainability… sure he can annoy at times with his team selections but imo he’s been brilliant and I just hope he continues with us for years to come… sure I’ll get narked here on the odd Friday night but looking at the longer view imo he’s already proved himself to be one of the greatest LOI managers ever

kksaints
07/07/2023, 9:09 PM
Disappointing to concede a late equaliser again. We weren't particularly great and switching to three at the back after sixty minutes didn't work. Mulraney scored a very good goal. Possible foul in the build up to the Corks equaliser but it was a good finish by Keating.

pineapple stu
07/07/2023, 9:14 PM
Going for a unprecedented 4 in a row ( except of course only by Rovers) and the co architect of the academy that means we have an unprecedented level of sustainability… sure he can annoy at times with his team selections but imo he’s been brilliant and I just hope he continues with us for years to come… sure I’ll get narked here on the odd Friday night but looking at the longer view imo he’s already proved himself to be one of the greatest LOI managers ever

But with the resources Rovers have, coupled with implosions at Cork and Dundalk, the dominant two before that, you'd expect them to be well up there each year. Certainly not drawing to Drogheda because of a bit of squad rotation.

The academy is strange too because Rovers seem very reluctant to give players senior time. The squad seems quite old, and then players like Simon Power are signed when surely an academy player could do as good a job and maybe get sold on too.

European record not great either if we're honest; that defeat against Flora was particularly bad

I think Bunny's post is spot on tbh. He's certainly not one of the LoI's greatest managers - Stephen Kenny is streets ahead, and the likes if Jim McLaughlin would be too.

DCWA
07/07/2023, 9:18 PM
Whilst my personal opinion might differ a bit surely if he wins 4 in a row then by default he has to be considered one of the LOI’s greatest managers?

If he doesn’t ot would rereaise significant doubts and him as one of the top managers as it should be all but a formality for him this year.

Nesta99
07/07/2023, 9:18 PM

Bradley is overrated!

Well have to keep up the obsessive appearances...

joey B
07/07/2023, 9:24 PM
Even game in Finn Park,we probably created the better chances and we had a great cameo from BJ Banda in the second half we looked a bit more solid in general aswell….