PDA

View Full Version : Town Through To Semi's

Ash
09/04/2002, 11:15 PM
Athlone Town Under 21's booked their place
in the semi finals of the Under 21 League Competition with a 3-2 victory over Connaught outfit Mervue Utd.

The visitors took the lead in the opening minute when Towns defence and keeper fell asleep allowing their striker unleash a powerful shot into the top coroner of the net. As he interval approached disaster struck for Athlone as Des Hope was pushed out of the way allowing for a shot from near the edge of the area to fly past Paul Brennan to put the visitors 2 up at the break.
Earlier, Athlone had 2 blatent enough penalty claims turned down in typical John "I cant give Athlone anything in case people think Im bias" Stacey fashion.

The 2nd half showed more urgency from Town. De Athlone were eventually awarded a spot kick when a Mervue defender made a block that would surely have guarenteed his place on the Garrycastle team!

Centre half Robbie Shine calmly placed the ball straight up the middle as the keeper dived to his right. Town were awarded a 2nd spot kick as Stephen Mullan sped past the defence before being brought down by the keeper. Shine again kept his head and sent the keeper the wrong way to put the sides level. More sustained pressure from Athlone followed and only for some heroic goalkeeping stopped a Showry Harney header and a Gary Byrne piledriver from hitting the back of the net.

Athlones defending took a nervous turn as the game progressed before substitute John McGowans lob/shot rebounded off the crossbar and from the attempted clearence McGowan saw his follow up shot nearly crack the post. Eventually Town got the 3rd goal that their 2nd half performance deserved but it was from an unuasual source ... a header from Stephen Mullan!!!!
Stephen dragged himself out towards the edge of the box and a Gary Byrne (I think) cross swept out his direction and Mullan hit a looping header over the keeper to send Town through to the semis.

Mervue nearly forced an equaliser late on but for a super diving save from Paul Brennan that made up for a performance that previously looked lacking in confidence.

The team on the night...
1. Paul Brennan
2. Gary Byrne
3. Des Hope
4. Robbie Shine
5. Ronan Frawley
6. Damien Rushe
7. Michael Harney
8. Mickey Collins
9. Stephen Mullan
10. Tony Izzi
11. Alan Clarke

Subs
John McGowan for Tony Izzi
Eoin Robins for Michael Harney
Thomas O'Connor for Damien Rushe

Town now face the winners of UCD -v- Cork City
Match to be played Tuesday 16th April, St. Mels Park.

Pablo
10/04/2002, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Ash
9. Stephen Mullan
10. Tony Izzi
11. Alan Clarke

Thats not the same Toni Izzi who played for Ramblers id it? he must be about 40!

I cant see the point of that rule which allows older players play u-21

pete
10/04/2002, 12:17 PM
I cant see the point of that rule which allows older players play u-21

I presume it was allowed as the u-21 league essentially replaced the reserve divisions so need some outlet to keep 1st team players & or give match practice to players returing from injury.