PDA

View Full Version : Oldies Testimonial

pete
09/04/2002, 1:28 PM
Having attended the Paul Osam testimonial last week & seen the number of golden (various vintages) oldies that came on in the 2nd half made me wonder why city couldn't arrange something similar for its former players.

All it takes is a bit of imagination & organisation as i'd say wouldn't be too difficult to get some of those ex-city players u-50 out for a run about?

Jim Smith
09/04/2002, 2:44 PM
...getting the biblical one to play? Then Skippy could get to 'stamp his authority' on him once and for all.

Seriously though, this might make a good prelude to the start of summer soccer - a final farewell to those in the autumn and winter of their careers.

Sorry lads but I'm suffering from sleep deprivation :)

patsh
09/04/2002, 2:56 PM
It would be an interesting exercise to see a
CCFC Fans XI vs a CCFC Oldies XI...Gunther kicking ten kinds of sh*t out of anybody coming near him....:D
Seriously though, a well planned and very highly publicised testimonial game might get a crowd out to the box. If a few name players, for instance like Denis Irwin, Cascarino or anybody who would be a draw for non-eL fans, could be brought on board, it would be a chance to do some heavy promotion for the upcoming summer season and it just might get a few more people interested in coming to see City play......:)

dalo
09/04/2002, 3:32 PM
i'd cough up for a chance to see JC and Gunther in a duel to the death against james and eanna:D

James
09/04/2002, 3:44 PM
???

dalo
09/04/2002, 3:47 PM
a football duel i should say, just to see if you could score 1-2 off jc again:D

niamh
09/04/2002, 4:25 PM
I was at the Osam testimonial as well and it was a good idea. It was well organised and it did show what Osam means to the club.

The presence of Paul McGrath was great. It would be a good idea and would create some positive publicity for City.

pete
09/04/2002, 4:25 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
If a few name players, for instance like Denis Irwin, Cascarino or anybody who would be a draw for non-eL fans.....

I don't see why would need other big names as Pats got 3k
+ for end of season testimonial last week. A similar event at the cross with a sprinkling of ex-city stars would easily get similar or better crowd.

patsh
10/04/2002, 7:05 AM
Originally posted by pete
I don't see why would need other big names as Pats got 3k
+ for end of season testimonial last week. A similar event at the cross with a sprinkling of ex-city stars would easily get similar or better crowd.
The point about name players, Pete, is that they might attract people who are not eL fans, and then there may be a chance to hold to some of them for the coming season. As Niamh mentioned above, Paul McGrath played in the Osam game and would have attracted none Pat's fans, and especially young boys who may get interested in following Pat's.............;)

Éanna
10/04/2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by dalo
i'd cough up for a chance to see JC and Gunther in a duel to the death against james and eanna:D
not a hope! An unfit two-left footed b@stard like me would get destroyed!:D

ccfcman
11/04/2002, 2:16 PM
serious;y though they desevre a test.