PDA

View Full Version : Ireland Vs Italia (inc scores)

Pages : [1] 2 3

thejollyrodger
17/08/2005, 7:00 PM
Squad is

------------Given---------------
Finnan-Dunne-Cunningham-O'Shea
--S.Reid-Holland-Kilbane-Duff---
------------A.Reid--------------
-----------Morrison------------

and the score is Italia 1 (Pirlo 10minutes) Ireland 0

BobbySands
17/08/2005, 7:02 PM
how are we playing. Talksport makes it sound like we're crap.

thejollyrodger
17/08/2005, 7:10 PM
2-1

Andy Reid pulled one back for us.

macdermesser
17/08/2005, 7:28 PM
how are we playing. Talksport makes it sound like we're crap.

yes .. any sort of a quick report for those who are "watching" the game on livescore.net

from bbc it sounds like Given is having a stormer. Ominous when you think of Henry and Zidane coming to town next month

Poor Student
17/08/2005, 7:34 PM
We haven't been crap. The defence has been worringly cut through a few times but we've had a decent share of possession and carved a few chances. Duff has been playing well. Morrisson has been holding his own well up front alone. I don't think we'll lose. Well taken goal by Reid. Holland is off for Harte. O'Shea moved into Holland's place. Holland came off after clashing heads. 2nd half started now.

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 7:49 PM
come on boys, we can do it!

Forza Morrison :D

The French are 1-0 up against our similar flag bearers ;) ; Ivory Coast
Swiss 2-0 up against Norway
Poland 2-2 Israel, feckers always make a draw, jammy fcukers! :mad:
Hah! Poland just scored :D 3-2 israel are losing, about time someone humped them.
oh and our muckers Faroe Islands are losing 0-2 to cyprus!

macdermesser
17/08/2005, 7:49 PM
We haven't been crap. The defence has been worringly cut through a few times but we've had a decent share of possession and carved a few chances. Duff has been playing well. Morrisson has been holding his own well up front alone. I don't think we'll lose. Well taken goal by Reid. Holland is off for Harte. O'Shea moved into Holland's place. Holland came off after clashing heads. 2nd half started now.

thanks for taking the time to give us an idea of the game ... are you watching the game and online at the same time? cheers

tricky_colour
17/08/2005, 8:05 PM
Listening to a fairly incomprehensibe radio commentary so I have not
idea what is happening most of the time, I only know Italy have scored
when the crowd go quiet.

Still whatever happens at least England got hammered 4:1 :D

Hopefully Sky Sports News will show the goals anyway.

I think Clinton almost scored just now (commentary confusing :confused: )

dancinpants
17/08/2005, 8:07 PM
Oh and Israel were beaten 3-2 by Poland. Poland grabbin' their 3rd in the 89th minute :D

northern Ireland were lucky to escape Malta with a 1-1 draw, Taylor saved an injury time peno.

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 8:11 PM
Listening to a fairly incomprehensibe radio commentary so I have not
idea what is happening most of the time, I only know Italy have scored
when the crowd go quiet.

Still whatever happens at least England got hammered 4:1 :D

Hopefully Sky Sports News will show the goals anyway.

I think Clinton almost scored just now (commentary confusing :confused: )

Hope so!! Yeah, was just on the phone to my brother's girlfriend (she's english) giving her a right slagging :D More important for me though that Ireland at least get a draw from this.

tricky_colour
17/08/2005, 8:12 PM
Oh and I backed Ireland to win 2:0 (small stake ;) )
That didn't last long :(

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 8:13 PM
Oh and Israel were beaten 3-2 by Poland. Poland grabbin' their 3rd in the 89th minute :D

northern Ireland were lucky to escape Malta with a 1-1 draw, Taylor saved an injury time peno.

oh well, at least NI didn't lose for a change, fair play to them! Good on Polska, teach those cheating feckers a lesson, hope they buckled the legs of them! :D

Rebal Boy
17/08/2005, 8:18 PM
Cyprus beat Faroe Islands 3-0. More then we got against them. :( Liechtenstein held Slovakia to a 0-0 draw in Group 3.

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 8:18 PM
Still 1-2 in Dublin :mad:

Scotland have just thrown away a 2-0 lead against austria :rolleyes: now 2-2

dancinpants
17/08/2005, 8:19 PM
Is it over yet? Must be by now :confused:

Dan K
17/08/2005, 8:21 PM
Perhaps a loss now would be a good thing, after all it's often said in football that you learn more from your failures than you do your successes.

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 8:21 PM
clinton had a disallowed goal :mad: handball

****!!! Boll-ox :mad:

dancinpants
17/08/2005, 8:22 PM
******XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Indeed.

thejollyrodger
17/08/2005, 8:23 PM
No :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

dancinpants
17/08/2005, 8:25 PM
Who honestly thought Ireland would beat Italy anyway? Even an understrength Italy? Simply aren't good enough - end of.

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 8:28 PM
Who honestly thought Ireland would beat Italy anyway? Even an understrength Italy? Simply aren't good enough - end of.

I really did expect a draw at least, Italy can be lazy feckers and don't always do well as a team, they are humpable :o

thejollyrodger
17/08/2005, 8:31 PM
The defeat tonight isnt really important... its just the manner of the performance. Up front we dont have many good options. Clinton didnt do much, elliott should have been brought on earlier

tricky_colour
17/08/2005, 8:34 PM

End of? You're not Craig from Big Brother by any chance...at the end of the day etc..

dancinpants
17/08/2005, 8:35 PM
End of? You're not Craig from Big Brother by any chance...at the end of the day etc..

Is that not David O'Leary? :confused: " At de end o de day"

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 8:38 PM
france 3-0 up against i coast! :mad:
30' [1 - 0] W. Gallas

62' [2 - 0] Z. Zidane :eek:

66' [3 - 0] T. Henry

and belgium beat greece 2-0 WTF Gerrit? Belgium bribing the ref again??? :eek: :D

Poor Student
17/08/2005, 8:39 PM
thanks for taking the time to give us an idea of the game ... are you watching the game and online at the same time? cheers

No, that was just half time. I was watching on Rai Uno the Italian national channel. I was pleased enough with the game. Players worked hard, went at it right to the end. Defending a bit sloppy at times which I am afraid will be punished. I completely disagree with Jolly and reckon Clinton had a good game (KT's gonna love me :p ). I feel he looks quite fit and held the ball very very well. Ok his ruled out goal had a hand involved but it was very well taken. With Roy Keane in place of Holland and Keane eile back to partner Clinton I am confident we can give the French a game. Given also played quite well with a number of class saves although he could have done a bit better to prevent the 2nd goal. Duff was also quite sharp. As usual I felt left back was a weak link. O'Shea is awful going forward. Far too gangly and clumsy and slow to act. Very imprecise with his passes (I don't care if it's his wrong side). I also though Elliot looked quite good as well as an option to bring on.

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 8:47 PM
reckon Clinton had a good game (KT's gonna love me :p ). I feel he looks quite fit and held the ball very very well..

:D I feel he looks quite fit also :o ;) snigger........
Dirty mind aside, have to say I was chatting to my brother a couple of times during the game as he was watching it on SKY and he said CLinton did well and his goal was class, but hand ball unfort. Said that Ireland were chasing the game a lot and Italy knew they were able to sit back and hold them :( Yeah O' Shea, makes me nervous when the ball goes anywhere near him........

Dziekuje Poor Student! As close as i can get to thank you in Slovenian!

Poor Student
17/08/2005, 8:54 PM
A little tidbit for you KT. Thanks in Slovenian is Hvala. Also Serbian/Croatian/Bosnian. Your filthy mind aside ( ;) ) I really thought he looked sharp and his performance was the most that pleased me. I think he's on top of his game and I hope he leaves Birmingham. Even if he goes to the Championship I don't care. He's been rotting there too long.

Sitting back is inherent to Italian nature. They cannot do anything else. They were too tough to break down but that's the sad fact of catenaccio . Let yourself go a goal of two down and a side like Ireland won't get back. I hope we can cop on with the defending. I watched France a little bit during half time and their passing was fluid and pacey. I'd play Finnan on the left and Carr on the right. I'm going to have a weak heart if either O'Shea or Harte play there in Dublin. As a sidenote may I add that Harte's free kicks were crap and wasteful. He can't even take a set piece that's not a direct shot.

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 9:09 PM
thanks, thought Polish would be off the mark a bit! Yup, hope Clint goes somewhere that will help him develop. He has scored some important goals for us in the past and I think he will definitely feature on the goal sheet in our upcoming crucial games. We just really need to get behind the boys v France and roar them to victory and we need the boys to do the business and Kerr to be more adventurous. Bring it on! :D

thejollyrodger
17/08/2005, 9:35 PM
Just looking at this game on TV 3 now and the 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 is a bit of an eye opener for Ireland. I dont think were too used to it and I can see why we didnt do so well in the first half

Colbert Report
17/08/2005, 9:40 PM
Elliott should have been on at the half or within ten minutes of the restart.

O'Shea is fecking awful past the half way line

S Reid played well but he really shouldn't be playing for us at this level.

A Reid was deadly, he needs to lose some weight and improve his stamina.

S Carr did not look like he had lost ten pounds, as claimed.

Duff was pure class, three white shirts on him everytime he got the ball.

Harte had a couple of good free kicks, and played well, should have started.

Overall we looked ****e at the back and didn't seem comfortable until we were chasing the game.

Finnan was absolute crap, after playing so well against Middlesboro on Saturday I really expected more from him. He was taken to the cleaners down the right hand side of the pitch.

With both Keanes in this would have been a completely different match, so don't read too much into the loss. We played well and probably deserved a draw.

eirebhoy
17/08/2005, 9:46 PM
I'm happy despite defeat. We were the better team for the last hour and spent long periods with the ball in their half. I'm glad Duff played so well against a really big nation, he's still not that well known as really world class.

Roy Keane and Robbie Keane to return aswell as a start for O'Brien who seemed to settle the defence.

CollegeTillIDie
17/08/2005, 9:59 PM
Midfield hung out the defence to dry in the first half from what I can see on the rebroadcast on TV3.

thejollyrodger
17/08/2005, 10:01 PM
I wouldnt read too much into this defeat either. I think the italians pretended not to be intrested in this game (no training on the pitch before hand and all the out of seaon pre season talk) but really went for it. Obviously they wanted to be the first team to beat Ireland in a long time, IMO.

Ireland are totally one dimensional tatically. When we use 4-5-1 / 4-3-3 we look terrible defending. Im glad kerr was brave and tried something new.

Andy Reid is overweight and unable to keep going for 90 minutes. Either he is eating all the muffins at Spurs or he is gentically un atheltic. He is worse than Clinton when it comes to confidence.

The same goes for Miller, he seems like another confidence player.

I dont think Elliott should have been started from the off. I know the fella has definitely ability but throwing players on too early can sometimes retard their development. Elliott is defintely someone you can bring on after 60minutes against france though ( If things arent working out with Clint and Robbie).

FarBeag
17/08/2005, 10:25 PM
Lad's in all fairness we have to play much better if we are to draw/beat the French and in particular we have to stick with the formation we know 4-4-2 and nothing else.We could have been 3 down in the first half hour and Henry will put them away if he gets the same oportunities the Italians got. We can can achieve our aim but we have to start playing from the start not the last hour.Saying this there were some really positive performances.
Given...Excellent not at fault for any of the goals and too much of a gentleman to blame his defence in an interview with Sky sport...Finnan.. brutal which is very unusual for him.. Cunningham..steady..Dunne..Clearly not match fit...O' Brien...will play with Kenny for the french game... O'Shea..can't get forward so unpredictable at the back(lose him)..Harte(better than O'Shea which would'nt be hard) but his delivery from set pieces was bad...Holland..usual disappearing act until he got injured..Kilbane...Ok..but when he runs does he ever look up when he kicks the ball..A Reid..great first half..very clever player but faded in the second needs to improve his stamina.. Duff..what can you say..he really scares the sihte out of the oposing players..Clint..ran his heart out,unlucky his goal was not allowed..Elliot..great prospect..Miller..crap...

thejollyrodger
17/08/2005, 10:37 PM
you tell em fearbeag ;)

here, use a bit more of the line spaces to make it all a bit easier to read :)

FarBeag
17/08/2005, 10:49 PM
thejollyrodger you tell em fearbeag .

Sorry about that sir.Will try harder the next time especially for you. :rolleyes:

thejollyrodger
17/08/2005, 10:50 PM

Sorry about that sir.Will try harder the next time especially for you. :rolleyes:

its the return key over on the right hand side ;)

FarBeag
17/08/2005, 10:57 PM
Thanks ever so much Jollyrodger.look forward to the IT lessons sometime but i would rather give my opinion on the game for what its worth.You are boring me now ta ta.

BobbySands
17/08/2005, 11:08 PM
Kind of happy we lost. I feel that a sense of smugness tends to creep in after good friendly results and hopefully this will be a wake up call. Can draw with Brazil in friendlies all we like but they're still meaningless. Roll on France. Funny to see Hartes rehabilitation in the squad and on this board. Wasn't so long ago he was the forum whipping boy.

thejollyrodger
17/08/2005, 11:08 PM
Thanks ever so much Jollyrodger.look forward to the IT lessons sometime but i would rather give my opinion on the game for what its worth.You are boring me now ta ta.

Looks like you could have done with a few lessons. maybe next time your in play school you can ask :)

tricky_colour
17/08/2005, 11:12 PM
:D I feel he looks quite fit also :o ;) snigger........
!

Don't know if you saw his press conference when he was talking about a
move to a different club but it was quite funny, he got quite a few
laughs out of the journalist's, don't remember exactly what he said though.

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 11:13 PM
now now children, keep it on topic or adam will come on and beat the sh!te out of you both..... :D ;)

Green Tribe
17/08/2005, 11:16 PM
Don't know if you saw his press conference when he was talking about a
move to a different club but it was quite funny, he got quite a few
laughs out of the journalist's, don't remember exactly what he said though.

Personality too, this is getting better.... :D didn't see it I'm afraid :mad: Should've got my brother to tape it on SKY :eek: fecker wouldn't prob waste a tape though :rolleyes: Anyone hear what the man said, did he mention "Julie"? heh heh :o

tricky_colour
17/08/2005, 11:22 PM
Kind of happy we lost. I feel that a sense of smugness tends to creep in after good friendly results and hopefully this will be a wake up call. Can draw with Brazil in friendlies all we like but they're still meaningless. Roll on France. Funny to see Hartes rehabilitation in the squad and on this board. Wasn't so long ago he was the forum whipping boy.

Didn't see the match, just a rubbish commentary, but I note that whilst
Harte was on the pitch we didn't concede (or score for that matter) a goal.
But as I said I didn't see the match so can't really draw any conclusions.

FarBeag
17/08/2005, 11:23 PM
Look Jollypodger or whatever your are called.I am sorry for giving my opinion on a threat that you started but if its for specially invited guests you should have made that clear ,instead of slagging me off about the way i tried to give my opinion on a game that was played to-night.You are obviously a very insecure sad individual who is craving attention.Won't say anymore in case i regret it,so get back in you box and play with your tractor. :D

eirebhoy
17/08/2005, 11:30 PM
Didn't see the match, just a rubbish commentary, but I note that whilst
Harte was on the pitch we didn't concede (or score for that matter) a goal.
But as I said I didn't see the match so can't really draw any conclusions.
I think its more, we didn't concede when Holland went off as we went from 10 men to 11. :)

OneRedArmy
17/08/2005, 11:32 PM
Agree on the smugness point. Playing the Italians now could turn out to be a masterstroke from the FAI as it exposed our weaknesses, only problem is I don't know if we can do anything about it before France.

Re Harte, I'd play him in front of O'Shea, but thats not saying much. Harte still has the infuriating ability to get himself at least 20 yards out of position a few times every half (I counted at least two). But again, he isn't O Shea and for that we must be thankful.

If we beat the French it will be passion and fight that does it as despite Kerrs best efforts at playing continental type football, with very few exceptions we just don't have the players.

tricky_colour
17/08/2005, 11:42 PM
Personality too, this is getting better.... :D didn't see it I'm afraid :mad: Should've got my brother to tape it on SKY :eek: fecker wouldn't prob waste a tape though Anyone hear what the man said, did he mention "Julie"? heh heh

I am afraid I only caught it halfway through but he seemed very relaxed
and jovial, there was quite lot a laughter from the the journalists, unfortunately I missed exactly why. They went on to ask him if he was
willing to take a pay cut (which he took quite well), can't remember what
he replied to that either :rolleyes:
My memory must be going :eek:

Slash/ED
17/08/2005, 11:43 PM
We need to stop playing these like fecking competitive games! Our opponents aren't, so it's completley pointless. Elliot should have gotten more time, now if there's an injury we'll be told he doesn't have the experience. Very frustrating.