PDA

View Full Version : FAI: Match Preview | Ireland v Gibraltar

Foot.ie
19/06/2023, 10:20 AM
https://www.fai.ie/sites/default/files/thumbnails/image/2540419%20%281%29.jpg

Ireland suffered a disappointing 2-1 defeat to Greece in Athens on Friday night so will be looking to bounce back on Monday night against Gibraltar.
Gibraltar come into the game on the back of a 3-0 defeat to France at home as they're also looking for their first points of the campaign.
Match Details
Fixture: Republic of Ireland v Gibraltar
Competition: UEFA EURO 2024 Qualifying
Date: Monday, June 19
Kick-off: 7.45pm
Venue: Aviva Stadium
TV: RTE
Tickets: Available here - Limited Availability (https://www.ticketmaster.ie/event/18005E98D606846B?did=fanrep)
Match Officials
Referee: Mihai Marica (ROU)
Assistant Referee 1: Imre Laszlo Bucsi (ROU)
Assistant Referee 2: Ovidiu Ha?egan (ROU)
Fourth Official: Sebastian Col?escu (ROU)
Video Assistant Referee: C?t?lin Popa (ROU)
Assistant Video Assistant Referee: Sebastian Col?escu (ROU)
Team News
Matt Doherty has been suspended following his red card against Greece so will not feature. Stephen Kenny has no other injury concerns but has confirmed James McClean will be captain of the side for his 100th cap.
Kenny is also set to make a number of changes from the Greece defeat with the tight turnaround in between the two fixtures.
What he said - Ireland manager Stephen Kenny
"My contract is up 'til the end of the campaign, and whether it’s renewed will depend on how people feel the campaign went overall, but certainly I fully expect to be.
"We want a positive result tomorrow and that’s firmly what I’m focused on.
On Qualification: "It would have been a lot easier if we had won on Friday, we made life difficult for ourselves and we are just going to have to get some exceptional results between now and the end of the season.
"France, I think will win the group, that's pretty clear, Greece have to play Holland twice, we have to play Holland twice, play Greece in Dublin, so there's still a lot of football to be played. I said at the time of the draw there are four teams that are capable of qualifying.
"They all got to play each other. We got to take the set-back on the chin and bounce back, get a victory tomorrow and take it from there."
What he said - Defender James McClean
“Representing Ireland is incredible. Being able to do that just once was special. I’ve never hidden the fact of how proud I am to be Irish. To be given the opportunity to step on the pitch and effect games for your country, that’s what I’m proudest of.
"To get 100 caps and join the illustrious names on that list will be pretty special. Not just for everyone but my family and for everyone who has helped me to make that happen. It’s certainly one I’ll enjoy.”
WATCH FULL PRESS CONFERENCE HERE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cCGjpYeykk&t=12s)
Opta Stats - Republic of Ireland v Gibraltar
- Republic of Ireland have won all four of their matches against Gibraltar by an aggregate score of 14-0, with all games coming in European Championship qualifiers.
- This is the third consecutive European Championship qualifying campaign to see the Republic of Ireland and Gibraltar face off – the Boys in Green scored 11 goals against them in Euro 2016 qualifying, but only netted three times against them in Euro 2020 qualifying.
- Republic of Ireland lost their first home European Championship qualifier of this campaign against France but haven’t lost consecutive home Euro qualifiers since May 1971, losing to Italy and Austria.
- Gibraltar have lost all 41 matches they have played in qualifying rounds for a major tournament (World Cup/Euros), conceding 186 goals and scoring just 12 in these games. Only once have they conceded just one goal in a match, with that coming against Republic of Ireland in March 2019.
- Republic of Ireland have only scored 15 goals in their last 18 home qualifying matches, since beating Gibraltar 7-0 in October 2014. They've scored more than once in just two of these 18 games, but haven't netted more than twice in any of them.
- Gibraltar have faced 112 shots in their three qualifying matches for Euro 2024 so far, an average of 37 per game.
Republic of Ireland Squad - Gibraltar
Goalkeepers: Gavin Bazunu (Southampton), Caoimhin Kelleher (Liverpool), Mark Travers (AFC Bournemouth).
Defenders: Mark Sykes (Bristol City), Callum O'Dowda (Cardiff City), James McClean (Wigan Athletic), Nathan Collins (Wolverhampton Wanderers), John Egan (Sheffield United), Dara O'Shea (West Bromwich Albion), Darragh Lenihan (Middlesbrough), Liam Scales (Celtic).
Midfielders: Josh Cullen (Burnley), Jayson Molumby (West Bromwich Albion), Jeff Hendrick (Newcastle United), Alan Browne (Preston North End), Will Smallbone (Southampton), Jason Knight (Derby County), Jamie McGrath (Wigan Athletic), Jack Taylor (Peterborough United).
Forwards: Adam Idah (Norwich City), Michael Obafemi (Burnley), Evan Ferguson (Brighton and Hove Albion), Troy Parrott (Tottenham Hotspur), Mikey Johnston (Vitória de Guimarães, on loan from Celtic).
UEFA EURO 2024 Qualifying - June Fixtures
16/06 - Greece 2-1 Ireland, OPAP Arena, 7.45pm
19/06 - Ireland v Gibraltar, Aviva Stadium, 7.45pm

Ireland Category:
Senior Men (https://foot.ie/ireland/teams/senior-men)

Choose Site:
Ireland

Match Preview / Report:
Match Preview

Match ID:
Republic of Ireland - Gibraltar | 2024 - UEFA European Qualifiers | 2036362

Introduction:
Republic of Ireland go in search of their first points of the UEFA EURO 2024 qualifying campaign when they welcome Gibraltar to the Aviva Stadium tomorrow.

[MORE (https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/match-preview-ireland-v-gibraltar)]