PDA

View Full Version : Typical - Bite the hand that feeds you

Breifne
16/08/2005, 11:07 PM
Its funny, went along to the Under-21 game this evening between UCD and Tullamore, was standing just inside the pitch perimeter fence in Belfield Park beside the corner flag at the wall end. Was taking photographs for the UCD Website (http://www.ucdsoccer.com/eircom/gallery.php) , when while he was signalling a goal kick, the linesman (or assistant referee) shouted at me, wanting to know if i had a press pass.

It was said as if he said "What the f**k are you doing there, get the hell out".

I asked him if he was serious, he didn't say anything, i asked him again, and he said "no, just trying to amuse myself", the eircom U21 league gets feck all coverage as it is, and the officials in the league are giving hassle to people who give up their time to try and help promote a game within the league.

He might have been having a joke, but I didn't think it was particulary funny, anyone else have a similar experience.

A face
16/08/2005, 11:14 PM
He might have been having a joke, but I didn't think it was particulary funny, anyone else have a similar experience.

Could have just been the guy was having a bad day, i wouldn't really take any notice. Its a bit mad that it happened (considering the crowds they get) but wouldn't take a tack of notice of the guy.

Dyl10
17/08/2005, 1:37 AM
Its funny, went along to the Under-21 game this evening between UCD and Tullamore, was standing just inside the pitch perimeter fence in Belfield Park beside the corner flag at the wall end. Was taking photographs for the UCD Website (http://www.ucdsoccer.com/eircom/gallery.php) , when while he was signalling a goal kick, the linesman (or assistant referee) shouted at me, wanting to know if i had a press pass.

It was said as if he said "What the f**k are you doing there, get the hell out".

I asked him if he was serious, he didn't say anything, i asked him again, and he said "no, just trying to amuse myself", the eircom U21 league gets feck all coverage as it is, and the officials in the league are giving hassle to people who give up their time to try and help promote a game within the league.

Sounds quite funny :D

drinkfeckarse
17/08/2005, 7:50 AM
He maybe thought you were some kind of perv given that one man and his dog normally watch the u/21 games. ;)

Cosmo
17/08/2005, 8:28 AM
'Its funny, went along to the Under-21 game this evening between UCD and Tullamore'

and people say I'm sad :D

Thought it was quite funny myself, give the chap a break will ye :rolleyes:

pete
17/08/2005, 8:59 AM
Sounds like good joke to me. Would have liked to see a picture of your face when he shouted at you ;)

I presume crowd of 20-30 people if even that?

EnDai
17/08/2005, 9:28 AM
It sounds like he was ripping it out of Ollie Byrne to be honest. Sounds funny enough to me :)

Breifne
17/08/2005, 10:25 AM
Sounds like good joke to me. Would have liked to see a picture of your face when he shouted at you ;)

I presume crowd of 20-30 people if even that?

not including both dugouts, there was three girls in the stand, pete mahon acting as a ball boy, two lads at the end of the pitch, and about six or seven people around both dugouts, three more came in near the end of the game to watch the end. so all in all about 12/13 people there.

wws
17/08/2005, 10:38 AM
any idea who the official was????? - definite ollie byrne **** take on cameras at matches!

Breifne
17/08/2005, 10:50 AM
any idea who the official was????? - definite ollie byrne **** take on cameras at matches!

I managed to get a picture, just waiting to see if he reports an unauthorised person on the playing area, which would be really silly, but he said he was joking, not sure if he was serious though.

EnDai
17/08/2005, 11:00 AM
No, I'm 100% certain he was ripping it out of Ollie! :D

James
17/08/2005, 11:00 AM
jeasus brefenie
an obvious joke given the recent events

think its quite funny myself like

Drumcondra Red
17/08/2005, 11:36 AM
Was it during play? That'd be funny!!!

Schumi
17/08/2005, 1:19 PM
Ah come on, it was clearly a (pretty good) joke on the Ollie Byrne incident last week.

Breifne
17/08/2005, 1:54 PM
On further reflection, you said "biting the hand that feeds". What exactly are you feeding them ?? Are you doing them a favour, or are you getting paid for working on their website ?? If you are working on their website, are you also working on the Dublin City website ??

If you are engaging in this work, you'd better get photographers' "accreditation" lively, else "Ollie's gonna get ya". :eek:

Cop On, not sure what you're getting at, but seeing as this isn't your first attempt to get into a slanging match with me, i'm gonna answer your questions as carefully as possible.

I do not recieve any payment from UCD AFC for working on their website, unless you call a free season ticket payment in kind. I also work on the Dublin City site amongst others in Senior and Junior Football.

Hope that satisfies your interest, although to be honest its none of your business, although rather than have insinuating remarks passed off about me in a public forum, by someone who obviously knows me, (although i make no attempt to hide my identity), but lacks the integrity to identify themselves to me, despite a number of requests to do so.

If you wish to PM me in order to identify yourself, that would be welcome, and i would appreciate if you would stop making remarks about my "interest" in Soccer in this country, you obviously don't know me as well as you think.

drummerboy
17/08/2005, 2:15 PM
Are you the same Breifne, who done such good work on he lsl.ie websie by any chance?

Breifne
17/08/2005, 2:18 PM
Are you the same Breifne, who done such good work on he lsl.ie websie by any chance?

Yes, that be me.

drummerboy
17/08/2005, 2:30 PM
Yes, that be me.

Good work mate. Pity they had to close the forum part of the Leinster Senior League site down, it was rather tasty. Believe there is an alternative forum going somewhere.

Breifne
17/08/2005, 2:35 PM
Good work mate. Pity they had to close the forum part of the Leinster Senior League site down, it was rather tasty. Believe there is an alternative forum going somewhere.

Yeah, i kinda enjoyed it, but the powers that be in the league, and the threat of legal action, always seems to bring out the biggest fears in people. so it had to go, unfortunately.

Yeah there is a un official forum, which i'm not going to advertise here, but it has nothing to do with me, Beam Systems or the LSL.

Breifne
17/08/2005, 3:53 PM
They hand out free season tickets and they STILL have dire 'crowds'.

(p.s. Breif. I wasn't 'having a go'. I just wondered what you meant by 'biting the hand that feeds'?? Whaddya feed them ??)

They don't hand out free season tickets, i do a bit of voluntary work for the club, so i got a season ticket to avoid hassle getting in on match days.

i don't feed them anything in a zoo keeper feeding the animals kinda way. It was meant as people who are giving up their time to try to raise the profile of the league, or anything to do with helping out with any club in any way, and the officials (who let's face it would also benifit from a higher profile league), try to make hassle where it's not needed.

My first reaction was that it was a joke, until after a couple of seconds, he still hadn't smiled or laughed or anything, until i asked him twice if he was serious, he then replied, "no, i was just trying to keep myself amused".

I don't have a problem with what happened, it actually was quite funny, but just knowing the way some officials are, i just thought that he would make some trouble when he didn't make it clear he was joking straight away.

I can only imagine my face, i'd say if anyone was close enough to hear him, it would have been hilarious. (there was no-one within 30/40 yards).

Bald Student
18/08/2005, 12:30 AM
They don't hand out free season ticketsFor the record, they do. I've not paid in since 1999.

This might be off topic, however.

pineapple stu
18/08/2005, 5:36 PM
In fairness, you've been on the co-ordinating committee in that time and sell fanzines/scarves/etc now.

Poor Student
18/08/2005, 7:28 PM
We only hand out free entry to those who help out with something. I certainly don't get a free ticket.

Copa Mundial
19/08/2005, 5:45 AM
...and who said officials didnt have a sense of humour ;) . Jaysus Breifne lighten up just a little. Surprised that you didnt see it for what it was meant to be(ollie **** take).
As for people giving up their time...you have no idea how much time officials give up on a week to week basis, not many people do.Give them a break from time to time.