First Division

Kerry v Athlone
Treaty v Cobh
Waterford v Bray
Wexford v Galway
Longford v Finn Harps

sbgawa
07/06/2023, 1:05 PM
After our slip ups against Drogheda and Cork (both playing with 12 men) wins over Dundalk and Sligo mean with a win against UCD (not taking anything foe granted) will leave us in decent but not great shape heading into the break...still think we need to be at least 8 or 9 ahead by the time Europe starts...as providing we win the first round we face 8 midweek games pretty much in a row.....even if we lose first round its minimum 4 weeks.

Derry and Bohs draw combined with Drogs taking something off PAts would be ideal.
I cant help but feel a loss for Derry which could see them 4th at the break might be a problem for Higgins...we will see i guess, youd have to hope for a reaction from Derry to the surrender in Inchicore if you are a Derry fan.
If Shels beat Sligo which on current form they will they will be right in the mix for Europe, credit to Duffer no one had them there.
Big game for Dundalk in Cork as being in 6th at the break with Shels ahead of them was not in the script and SOD despite hos legendary status in Dundalk is being questioned for the first time,,,no imediate danger there though.

First Division...What can you say...First place Galway have almost double the points of 3rd place Athlone (23 pts ahead) while 9th place Harps are only 8 points behind Athlone....To say the top two are in a different league is an understatement ....
Assuming Galway win the league , Can Waterford **** it up from here ?

JC_GUFC
07/06/2023, 1:39 PM
First Division...What can you say...First place Galway have almost double the points of 3rd place Athlone (23 pts ahead) while 9th place Harps are only 8 points behind Athlone....To say the top two are in a different league is an understatement ....
Assuming Galway win the league , Can Waterford **** it up from here ?

There's nothing for Waterford to **** up though. 2nd to 5th are the playoff spots.

This is the first game of the third series of games in Division 1. Galway United took a full 27 from the opening 9 games and dipped to 22 for the next 9. Surprisingly when I looked at it earlier Waterford actually took 1 more point from the first series compared to the second series (20 v 19).

The Waterford v Galway meeting is actually the last game of the third series and looking on paper the way we've been playing at the moment and probably the way everyone else has been playing too, it's hard to see us dropping too many points before that Waterford game comes around.

sbgawa
07/06/2023, 3:36 PM
There's nothing for Waterford to **** up though. 2nd to 5th are the playoff spots.

This is the first game of the third series of games in Division 1. Galway United took a full 27 from the opening 9 games and dipped to 22 for the next 9. Surprisingly when I looked at it earlier Waterford actually took 1 more point from the first series compared to the second series (20 v 19).

The Waterford v Galway meeting is actually the last game of the third series and looking on paper the way we've been playing at the moment and probably the way everyone else has been playing too, it's hard to see us dropping too many points before that Waterford game comes around.

I meant can they manage to lose to another first division club in the play offs......considering the gap....
They could still lose the play off against whoever finishes second bottom and have to spend anothe year in the first division with a full time squad and budget. Long wont have given up on realing Galway in and given the uncertainties of the otehr route to promotion they may even add to the squad in July.
Beat Galway twice and the gap is only 4 points......

JC_GUFC
07/06/2023, 4:04 PM
I meant can they manage to lose to another first division club in the play offs......considering the gap....
They could still lose the play off against whoever finishes second bottom and have to spend anothe year in the first division with a full time squad and budget. Long wont have given up on realing Galway in and given the uncertainties of the otehr route to promotion they may even add to the squad in July.
Beat Galway twice and the gap is only 4 points......

Yeah - dropping points in Bray wasn't the end of the world by any means for us, though it was the first weekend of the whole season we lost ground on Waterford (when we lost in Longford, they'd lost at home to Wexford earlier that day).

In some ways Friday is a big game, it's a long trip, we won't have many fans and Wexford have had a bit of form of late but we really should be beating them.

If we win that we return after the break with home games against Longford and Kerry where 6 points would be expected, so then Waterford just have to keep matching our results. Both sides have scored 51 goals this season - our top scorer has 10 goals - Ronan Coughlan has scored 23! They drew a blank in Longford when he was suspended a few weeks ago - what if he leaves in the transfer window?

I wouldn't be confident on Waterford winning the playoff at the moment. I think they're not as good as last season yet and whoever the 9th club in the Premier Division will end up being they'll be a better side than UCD were either of the last 2 years.

Martinho II
07/06/2023, 9:39 PM
Yeah - dropping points in Bray wasn't the end of the world by any means for us, though it was the first weekend of the whole season we lost ground on Waterford (when we lost in Longford, they'd lost at home to Wexford earlier that day).

In some ways Friday is a big game, it's a long trip, we won't have many fans and Wexford have had a bit of form of late but we really should be beating them.

If we win that we return after the break with home games against Longford and Kerry where 6 points would be expected, so then Waterford just have to keep matching our results. Both sides have scored 51 goals this season - our top scorer has 10 goals - Ronan Coughlan has scored 23! They drew a blank in Longford when he was suspended a few weeks ago - what if he leaves in the transfer window?

I wouldn't be confident on Waterford winning the playoff at the moment. I think they're not as good as last season yet and whoever the 9th club in the Premier Division will end up being they'll be a better side than UCD were either of the last 2 years.

Only thing is though Ronan Coughlan is on fire for Waterford at the moment! Is that his first season at Waterford or not?

2 Year Contract
07/06/2023, 10:58 PM
Only thing is though Ronan Coughlan is on fire for Waterford at the moment! Is that his first season at Waterford or not?
Yes it’s his first season at Waterford. On the topic of Coughlan he’s now just 3 goals away from equalling his entire pre Waterford career leagues goals tally.

He scored 26 league goals in 108 appearances over 5 seasons with Bray, Cork, Sligo and Pats in the premier division before dropping to the first division this year where he’s now on 23 goals in 16 apps

outspoken
07/06/2023, 11:04 PM
We just need the break, unprecedented injury crisis not to mention a few stupid suspensions on top. Avoid defeat against Harps, get bodies back and a few quality signings in and we'll give it a good rattle second half of the season. If either team lose on Friday I sense the negativity will be absolutely crippling and could be hard to come back from.

joey B
07/06/2023, 11:05 PM
Yes it’s his first season at Waterford. On the topic of Coughlan he’s now just 3 goals away from equalling his entire pre Waterford career leagues goals tally.

He scored 26 league goals in 108 appearances over 5 seasons with Bray, Cork, Sligo and Pats in the premier division before dropping to the first division this year where he’s now on 23 goals in 16 apps

No better indicator of how brutal the league is,Coughlan is a bang average striker and he’s been made look like Harry Kane in this league!

thebronze14
08/06/2023, 8:08 AM

The Marco Negri Of LOI Division 1!

sbgawa
08/06/2023, 11:57 AM
I always thought he was a poor finisher hence his bang average hall of goals pre this season. Has his finishing improved ir is he just getting way more chances..?

JC_GUFC
08/06/2023, 2:03 PM
I always thought he was a poor finisher hence his bang average hall of goals pre this season. Has his finishing improved ir is he just getting way more chances..?

Yeah I'd agree - I'd have always thought he was very good at hold up play and a clever player in terms of building attacks but just terrible in front of goal. This season definitely a bit of both. There has been some calamitous defending for his goals but maybe as a consequence of scoring some "bad" goals he's gained confidence. Certainly his finish in Galway in the recent defeat was a nice instinctive finish. I did read an interview with him recently where he'd got some sort of mental coaching on it - maybe it's that - maybe it's confidence but 23 goals in 16 games is off the charts!

I'll be very interested to see if anyone comes in for him - even Fleetwood!

Jack B
08/06/2023, 2:51 PM

Can only really speak for his time at Pats but for me he's a good finisher that just doesn't get into position enough. Can't think of a huge amount of chances he missed for us really and he scored some lovely goals, just not a huge amount of them. He'd probably be more use in the PD as a kind of second striker where he can drop in and link things up as he's a good footballer, but equally not really athletic enough or good at dribbling to play as an attacking midfielder.

total hoofball
08/06/2023, 5:44 PM
No better indicator of how brutal the league is,Coughlan is a bang average striker and he’s been made look like Harry Kane in this league!
I didn't think the standard of the First Division could have got any worse than the 2015-2017 era but it sounds like 2023 is a very special season I might even be able bang in a dozen goals

Nah Nah Nah Nah
08/06/2023, 8:59 PM
Can only really speak for his time at Pats but for me he's a good finisher that just doesn't get into position enough. Can't think of a huge amount of chances he missed for us really and he scored some lovely goals, just not a huge amount of them. He'd probably be more use in the PD as a kind of second striker where he can drop in and link things up as he's a good footballer, but equally not really athletic enough or good at dribbling to play as an attacking midfielder.

Worked very hard for us but was awful at finishing apart from penalties

Philosophizer
09/06/2023, 6:57 PM
RTE really know how to pick the games lately. The live match in Derry has been v poor quality so far - littered with mistakes. Pitch probably doesn’t help mind.

Bohtastic
09/06/2023, 7:36 PM
RTE really know how to pick the games lately. The live match in Derry has been v poor quality so far - littered with mistakes. Pitch probably doesn’t help mind.

Our match v Cork was also a poor show, madness of the last 10 minutes excepted. (not that I enjoyed that obviously).
Not showing anything like the same form as earlier in the season.

Candystripe
09/06/2023, 7:44 PM

I'm here and both teams are playing absolute p1ss.

Philosophizer
09/06/2023, 7:46 PM
I'm here and both teams are playing absolute p1ss.
It’s awful stuff.

Philosophizer
09/06/2023, 7:56 PM
Devine really isnt helping the situation by playing McDonnell as no10. He’s not comfortable there at all.
I get that Devine wants to pack the middle with grafters and stop Derry playing but I think he’d be better off playing Coote or Clarke there.

pineapple stu
09/06/2023, 8:15 PM
Another two for Coughlan. I think that's 25 in his last 14 now

Shinkicker
09/06/2023, 8:26 PM
Devine really isnt helping the situation by playing McDonnell as no10. He’s not comfortable there at all.
I get that Devine wants to pack the middle with grafters and stop Derry playing but I think he’d be better off playing Coote or Clarke there.
When the commentator says "Derrys best distributor of the ball is the keeper" that says it all. Poor game all round. Not an advert for the local game on the national station. It give them more reason not to show games

joey B
09/06/2023, 8:35 PM
Stonewall penalty for Derry there….

SPXcyan
09/06/2023, 8:39 PM
Indeed that's 25 goals for Coughlan now, he should've had a hat-trick too but just couldn't find it in the end, the commentators seem certain sure that he's odd to England once the window opens, hopefully not true.

joey B
09/06/2023, 8:41 PM
Late winner for Drogheda aswell!

Bohtastic
09/06/2023, 8:43 PM
Indeed that's 25 goals for Coughlan now, he should've had a hat-trick too but just couldn't find it in the end, the commentators seem certain sure that he's odd to England once the window opens, hopefully not true.

Off to England?
Do they not know that he's playing against part timers (and hardly set the world alight in the Premier).
I geuss Fleetwood might give it a whirl without too much of a risk, but he's never seemed like a super prospect IMO

Shinkicker
09/06/2023, 8:44 PM
When the two keeper's who didn't have much to do are the potential player of the match and one gets it. There's something seriously wrong. Grow a pair and say nobody deserved it. As for the ref, great game until the blunder at the end. Stonewall pen, but I'm a Bohs fan, so who give a f#€k. We'll take the draw on the road

kksaints
09/06/2023, 8:53 PM
We weren't very good tonight but that's an incredibly frustrating way to lose. thought a free was going to be given against Markey but the ref didn't give it although Murphy needs to be stronger in that scenario. We went far too direct and Drogs centre backs were able to deal with most of it.

TonyD
09/06/2023, 8:56 PM
Late winner for Drogheda aswell!

Sickened. But we didn’t play well and Drogheda possibly just about deserved it. Daragh Markey had a few touches of class through the game, though I did wonder if he pulled Adam Murphy back in the run up to the goal. Feels like a real opportunity missed with Derry and Bohs drawing, especially after we were so good on Monday. Thought the pitch was very poor. Looked bone dry and bumpy. Water shortage in Drogheda ?;)

joey B
09/06/2023, 9:16 PM
Harps might be better off only playing away from home for the rest of the season!

SPXcyan
09/06/2023, 9:20 PM
Off to England?
Do they not know that he's playing against part timers (and hardly set the world alight in the Premier).
I geuss Fleetwood might give it a whirl without too much of a risk, but he's never seemed like a super prospect IMO

Apparently he's "desperate to get back to England", Fleetwood might give him a go as after watching them play a lot last season I'd say he'd challenge Promise for the striker role.

sbgawa
09/06/2023, 9:35 PM
Easy night for Rovers and pretty much perfect set of results elsewhere.
5782 for UCD is a hell of an attendance, club had a promotion for local kids teams and there was a big turnout.

6 clear which is hard to believe after getting 5 points in first 6 games.
Drogs win and looks like a 3 way fight for 9th with Sligo and Cork.

FTA-1895
09/06/2023, 9:53 PM
Shocking stuff in Tolka. Shels did very little after scoring early. Sligo equalised with a cracker but came out and sat back in the second half and did nothing until injury time when they had a corner cleared off the line and then hit the bar. Shels passed the ball about and looked clueless as to how to break Sligo down and didn't even go close in the second half.

placid casual
Rovers clearly deciding enough is enough. We gave you all a big headstart not winning the first 6 games but no one in the league is remotely good enough to challenge Rovers. Nice one.
We can concentrate on Europe, resting our best players in some games and giving the next generation of Hoops a chance to impress on the tallaght stage.
Enjoy the break folks!

nigel-harps1954
Poor game in Longford but sure three points is the main thing. Young Sean O'Donnell had a leaving cert exam this morning, and scored and assisted for Harps tonight. Harps with an average age of 20 out there tonight and barely filled the bench at all with a handful of 16 year olds. Grand enough sort of a night after a couple of rotten results.

The new referee lad was utterly abysmal.

sbgawa
09/06/2023, 9:59 PM
Poor game in Longford but sure three points is the main thing. Young Sean O'Donnell had a leaving cert exam this morning, and scored and assisted for Harps tonight. Harps with an average age of 20 out there tonight and barely filled the bench at all with a handful of 16 year olds. Grand enough sort of a night after a couple of rotten results.

The new referee lad was utterly abysmal.

Thats fabulous for the LAd, hopefully he has a great future ahead of him

patsdad
09/06/2023, 10:12 PM
Drogs deserving winners even if it took them till the last play of the game. Twice as many shots on target as us plus our penalty was a bit soft. I thought they were very good and can see how they can get really good results on a good night

It was a poor performance by us but after 7 good ones under Daly, one poor one is easier to take. We’ve a tasty four games between the break and Europe, against four teams we’ve beaten under Daly, and we’ll have two or three players back. So I’m not too down over one defeat.

Dermobohs
09/06/2023, 10:13 PM
Indeed it was, but having been raped by refs in at least four games we’ll take it

sbgawa
09/06/2023, 10:25 PM
Next game is away to Bohs, last time we were going there the talk was of them going 13 points clear.....a win for us in Dalymount could see Bohs drop to 5th and us go 11 points clear of them.
On the other hand a win for Bohs and they are 5 behind with a game in hand............big game....

Dermobohs
09/06/2023, 10:42 PM
Yep a huge three points, looking forward to it already. Well ****ing murder you.?

trevy
10/06/2023, 5:55 AM
Hopefully Waterford can keep Coughlan till end of the season.
Bray were one of the better teams to come to the RSC this season but Coughlan's 2 in 2nd half decided it. He hit the bar near the end too after a great piece of skill from Oluwa set him up.

Philosophizer
10/06/2023, 12:51 PM
We weren't very good tonight but that's an incredibly frustrating way to lose. thought a free was going to be given against Markey but the ref didn't give it although Murphy needs to be stronger in that scenario. We went far too direct and Drogs centre backs were able to deal with most of it.
Looked back at the highlights a few times and it’s definitely not a foul by Markey. Lovely goal in the end.

joey B
10/06/2023, 2:16 PM
Looked back at the highlights a few times and it’s definitely not a foul by Markey. Lovely goal in the end.

Agreed,seen a couple of Pats fans on Twitter going mad at it and I don’t think it’s a foul at all,players get these all the time though and I think it’s something we should try and get out of the game,a slight touch and players are throwing themselves to the floor,embarrassing really…..

da bishop
10/06/2023, 2:19 PM
Enjoyed the game at the Markets Field ,end to end stuff ,Cobh on top first half should have scored a couple,Treaty better in the second .Have to hand it to the Rams,strong ,fit,athletic and not afraid to have a go with the winner coming at a good time for them.Winless in five for Treaty ,no goals from play and plenty conceded ,fitness levels of players not good imo.Small crowd 300 maybe and no Blue Army..Now will Tommy do an interview i wonder.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
10/06/2023, 5:09 PM
Shocking stuff in Tolka. Shels did very little after scoring early. Sligo equalised with a cracker but came out and sat back in the second half and did nothing until injury time when they had a corner cleared off the line and then hit the bar. Shels passed the ball about and looked clueless as to how to break Sligo down and didn't even go close in the second half.

Dont know what game Duff was watching where he said it was 2 points dropped. We created Shels only 2 real chances.

joey B
11/06/2023, 11:45 AM
Only catching up on the goals from Friday and what a volley from Adam Foley for Drogheda,superb!

Knocklyonhoop
11/06/2023, 11:22 PM
Two weekends of perfect results for Rovers. Mad we have w points from 4 games v `Drogs and Cork and are 6 clear!

next 3 could effectively decide it for us ?!

Knocklyonhoop
11/06/2023, 11:25 PM
He speaks nonsense

ontheotherhand
12/06/2023, 2:51 AM
We have our weaknesses but they seem to be getting addressed. Not sure it will be enough for Europe but it should be enough for the league given how frail other teams look.

Fair play to Daly at Pats, that's a serious run especially given the injuries. I think we might go through the next series undefeated though.

FTA-1895
12/06/2023, 11:18 AM
Dont know what game Duff was watching where he said it was 2 points dropped. We created Shels only 2 real chances.

It's two points dropped in the sense that Sligo sat back happy with their point in the second half. We had the majority of the ball and Sligo were there for the taking we just hadn't a clue what to do so we lost out on the two extra points. It's also two points dropped for Sligo in my opinion as if they hadn't sat back in the second half they probably would have beaten us.