PDA

View Full Version : Souness

NeilMcD
16/08/2005, 2:33 PM
Newcastle manager Graeme Souness has criticised the scheduling of this week's friendly internationals.
He told Newcastle's website: "Part of me is angry about the timing of these games. They are Mickey Mouse games, and I've got six or seven players away.

"You will not find a manager who thinks it is a good idea to play these games a week into the new season.

"The players return to the club on Friday and have a day to prepare for a Premiership game. It is not right."

Newcastle kicked off their Premiership campaign with a 2-0 defeat at Arsenal on Sunday.

They take on West Ham in their first home game of the season this weekend.

And Souness has had to lead training without the likes of Shay Given, Stephen Carr, Jermaine Jenas, James Milner, Emre, Jean-Alain Boumsong and Amdy Faye.

"The players are still finding their feet in the Premiership, then they're taken away from their clubs for a meaningless game," Souness added.

"It's not fair on the paying customer, not just at Newcastle but right up and down the country.

"What can we do in terms of preparation without six or seven players who will be involved at the weekend? No way is it right."

Peadar
16/08/2005, 3:01 PM
From what I saw at Highbury on Sunday, some of his players could do with a bit of coaching from their international set-up because they seem to be getting little coaching on Tyneside.

Poor Student
16/08/2005, 3:23 PM
Isn't this always an international friendly fixture slot? Is it fair on international teams not to have a chance to prepare for the autumn qualifiers? He's had plenty of time to prepare these players all pre-season (barring Emre). Is he preparing excuses in advance a la Roddy Collins?

Kingdom
17/08/2005, 9:26 AM
To be fair these games are maybe a week early but then again the Premiership has kicked off a week early too,

Thunderblaster
23/08/2005, 12:18 PM
Graeme Souness couldn't manage Liverpool. He destroyed the club. Playing for your country is your ultimate honour. I understand that the clubs pays the players wages but international football should not lose its prestige.

OwlsFan
23/08/2005, 12:57 PM
I saw Mick McCarthy being asked the same question on BBC last Saturday. He said the friendlies were far from "meaningless" and it was the last chance for the international managers to get their teams together before the qualifiers. They were vital he said.

I can understand, however, Souness saying what he did but at least every other team was in the same boat as him so his team wasn't at a disadvantage although perhaps Newcastle have more internationals than some others.

drinkfeckarse
23/08/2005, 1:23 PM
Every club manager that hasn't managed at international level would say the same thing.

If some F.A. are ever dumb enough to offer Souness a job then he'll be saying the exact opposite :rolleyes:

Friendlies are a must, how else are you going to have a look at players....throw them in in a vital World Cup qualifier :confused: :rolleyes:

Poor Student
23/08/2005, 6:14 PM
I saw Mick McCarthy being asked the same question on BBC last Saturday. He said the friendlies were far from "meaningless" and it was the last chance for the international managers to get their teams together before the qualifiers. They were vital he said.

I can understand, however, Souness saying what he did but at least every other team was in the same boat as him so his team wasn't at a disadvantage although perhaps Newcastle have more internationals than some others.

It's funny he should bitch off like that, Emre got injured in that week. :D