PDA

View Full Version : Israel beat Ukraine on Penalties

Stuttgart88
16/08/2005, 11:19 AM
From The Guardian. I've no idea what this tournament is all about but it looks like the Israelis have got another meritable draw with a good side.

Poland and Israel to meet in final of Ukraine tournament
KIEV, Aug 16 (Reuters) - Poland and Israel have reached the final of the four-team Valery Lobanovsky tournament after Poland beat Serbia 3-2 on Monday and Israel beat hosts Ukraine on penalties after a 0-0 draw.
The two winners will meet in the final on Wednesday evening.
Thomas Frankowski scored twice to help the Poles overcome a determined Serbian side.
Ukraine, its attacks repeatedly thwarted by a solid Israeli defence, lost out on penalties when Andrei Gusin missed the only spotkick in the shootout after the teams battled to a goalless draw.
"We are of course disappointed to lose a match in which we held the advantage," Ukraine coach Oleg Blokhin said afterwards.
Ukraine were without European Footballer of the Year Andrei Shevchenko and Andrei Voronin, but Blokhin kept the result in perspective.
"On the whole though, I'm happy with the performance of my players. Penalties amount to a lottery. The main thing is to prepare as best we can for our qualifiers."
The competition is staged in memory of the Ukrainian coach Valery Lobanovsky who died in 2002 aged 63 and is being used by the four competitors as part of their preparations for next month's World Cup qualifiers.

Donal81
16/08/2005, 11:38 AM
When I watch them beat a team over 90 minutes without any lucky sendings off, last minute goals or brutal refereeing, then I'll respect them. Until then, their last game against us is just too raw a memory. I won't forget that peformance for a long time. :(

Poor Student
16/08/2005, 1:18 PM
I saw the Poland v Serbia game. Thoroughly entertaining. It seems a very unserious competition. Lots of experimenting and not a huge amount of effort being put in. I wouldn't take the result too seriously.

Partizan
16/08/2005, 2:41 PM
that shouldnt detract from 2 very poor performances against Israel. 6 points in the bag and yes, we blew it. :mad: