PDA

View Full Version : Shels Tactics

Krstic
16/08/2005, 8:31 AM
What the hell was Fenlon thinking with his tactics.

Play a former international defender in Midfield, leaving a former international midfielder on the bench.
Take off one of the leagues best strikers and replace him with a.......defender???
And when things get really tight, bring on a 17 year old with little or no experience into the biggest game of the season so far????????????

Aahh, Has someone pressed the self destruct button on the back of Fenlons' head??? :eek:

bigmac
16/08/2005, 9:09 AM

tactics? Fenlon has tactics? :eek:

patsh
16/08/2005, 9:31 AM
Nuttsy is a small little man, surrounded by small little men, all of whom seem to have a big man fetish.

Their one and only tactic is hoof it up to the lanky freak and hope for the best.
It's been that way since he took over, it's just that the players tried to show their own ability and didn't play that way, but now when everything is falling to sh*t at Tolka, they are just doing what they are told and collecting their pay packets....

declan hide
16/08/2005, 9:37 AM
Nuttsy is a small little man, surrounded by small little men, all of whom seem to have a big man fetish.

Their one and only tactic is hoof it up to the lanky freak and hope for the best.
It's been that way since he took over, it's just that the players tried to show their own ability and didn't play that way, but now when everything is falling to sh*t at Tolka, they are just doing what they are told and collecting their pay packets....

i must have been dreaming so when i saw wes hoolahan running rings around the cork midfield...

redgav
16/08/2005, 9:41 AM

Play a former international defender in Midfield, leaving a former international midfielder on the bench.
Take off one of the leagues best strikers and replace him with a.......defender???
And when things get really tight, bring on a 17 year old with little or no experience into the biggest game of the season so far????????????

Aahh, Has someone pressed the self destruct button on the back of Fenlons' head??? :eek:

He was imitating "The Special One"
He diod the same in the European cup semi final .....the high hoofed balls up to the big all striker wasn't working,so he takes off the big striker ,and thriows on a taller defender up front (huth) to not get the hoofs also

terrible .Shels seem to have regressed from 2 years ago .Now they are borderline Longford .Glad to see that City tried to stick to Ricos football principles and passed the ball

pete
16/08/2005, 9:52 AM
i must have been dreaming so when i saw wes hoolahan running rings around the cork midfield...

For 5 minutes. What about the other 85? :rolleyes:

tiktok
16/08/2005, 9:53 AM

For about a ten minute spell. ;)

Weso was the only Shels player to come out with credit last night, but Fenlon's tactics bypassed him completely. Hoofing played into our hands, granted Baker should have been able to beat Murphy in the aair, but what he did win was mopped up by the central defenders.

Thing was, with Ryan, Moore and Ndo on the bench, Fenlon still couldn't come up with a plan B

patsh
16/08/2005, 9:54 AM
Oh that run when he stamped on Roy O'Donovan, was it?

And yes you were quite obviously dreaming, so maybe it's time you woke up....

Ruairi
16/08/2005, 10:03 AM
i could have sworn it was joe gamble running rings around everyone..

erra what do i know....

Krstic
16/08/2005, 10:20 AM
i could have sworn it was joe gamble running rings around everyone..

erra what do i know....

Have to agree, isn't that why he was Man of the Match on RTE????

BohDiddley
16/08/2005, 11:23 AM
Shels seem to have regressed ... now they are borderline Longford
Brilliant! Not sure who should be more offended by that! :D :D :D
(just as well it's not anti-Cork wit -- you'd be out on your ear by now ;) )

Slash/ED
16/08/2005, 11:49 AM
What tactics?

Harris up front, Baker, Crawley and Ollie all continuing to start, no sign of O'Neill, Ryan or Ndo and Moore only getting a brief run and throwing a 17 year old in at the deep end (Who, btw, was quietly quite decent I thought. Found a Shels man with every pass, a bloody rare thing under Fenlon this season) and the coup de grace, Curtis Flemming anchoring the mid field.

Hoof the ball for 90 minutes at two tall centre halfs winning everything in the air and expect results. Cork had it down to a tee, when Crawley had the ball he had ten yards of space every time. Nobody once tried to close him down, as that might force him to pass the ball to Hoolahan or something who was screaming for it. Instead, despite an out and out wideman up against him, they backed off. Ten yards of space at all times as they knew what the result would be without fail. And it was.

The thing about last night was Cork weren't near at their best I thought, they can play a lot better. Yet they still won and had we nicked a draw it would have been an injustice.

Breifne
16/08/2005, 12:12 PM
Harris up front
no sign of O'Neill

i think this is the most sense i have heard anyone on this forum in quite a while. Gary O'Neill proved last season that he is the perfect player for a lone striker role when playing against better sides in pressure situation, even grabbing a few goals against them.

Now someone tell me if im wrong, but Gary has scored a sh1t load of goals for the u21's of shelbourne this year, and has got little to no run out with the first team. (including six in 90 minutes against Belgrove over the weekend).

Gary would have been the perfect option up front against Steaua but he was left on the bench, he was nominated for PFAI player of the year (final 6) when he was playing for a team rooted to the bottom of the league for 99% of the season, even scoring 9 goals. Why did Shels take him if they didn't intend to use him. He would walk into any side in the country, including Cork and Derry. He is just not the big name beside Crowe and Byrne.

I feel Nuttsy is not giving him a game because his reputation is on the line for the two Irish Internationals. O'Neill is younger, quicker, more creative, more inventive and always looking to impress. His work rate is phenomenal. He is the only reason Dublin City were within spitting distance of any sides with five / six games to go last year. We would be looking to have him back again next year, if he wanted to come back. He is an absolute City Legend.

EnDai
16/08/2005, 12:17 PM
O'Neill has been our most impressive striker this year in the few appearances his made! Very highly rated by moi!

He was injured yesterday though.

declan hide
16/08/2005, 12:18 PM
Oh that run when he stamped on Roy O'Donovan, was it?

And yes you were quite obviously dreaming, so maybe it's time you woke up....

no it was the presistant fouls cork made on him in the 2nd half i was referring too. ;)

i'm not wearing cork blinkers of course am i? ;)

Slash/ED
16/08/2005, 12:20 PM
I feel Nuttsy is not giving him a game because his reputation is on the line for the two Irish Internationals.

that explains why he doesn't start him but useing a centre half isntead? That's a píss take.

I agree with all of what you said there. You mentioned the boat load of goals he's getting for our U21s, in his last game for them he got a mere double hat trick.

I think he is fantastic and despite barely playing he is very popular with the fans, his lack of time on the pitch has been a disgrace. He may have been injured yesterday (First I've heard of that if so) but he wouldn't have gotten near the team anyway. Harris up front, O'Neill watching from the sidelines has been a regular occurance this season. It's criminal, and I feel sorry for him, Ger McCarthy got more chances than he's getting ffs. What more must he do?

EnDai
16/08/2005, 12:38 PM
He got injured during the warm up apparently, hence Bobby Ryans inclusion. According to RTE anyways.

patsh
16/08/2005, 12:50 PM
no it was the presistant fouls cork made on him in the 2nd half i was referring too. ;)

i'm not wearing cork blinkers of course am i? ;)
No, just plain black blinkers over both eyes!

Slash/ED
16/08/2005, 12:52 PM
He got injured during the warm up apparently, hence Bobby Ryans inclusion. According to RTE anyways.

In all honesty it makes little difference anyway. He would not have featured and we would have resorted to Jamie Harris anyway.

Dyl10
16/08/2005, 1:00 PM
[QUOTE=patsh]
QUOTE]

Theres no need for name calling! Its not his fault fenlon is clueless

geysir
16/08/2005, 3:09 PM
With Shels "tactics" it was a hard game to watch on TV. Even if there were good parts, having to listen to Dolan negates those positives. Would drafting in Michael O Muircheartaigh not help to spice up the commentary?

Shels defender on the ball, " he steadies himself, connects with the ball, suas san aer, with all this hoofing he'll need the attention of a blacksmith soon"
"Curtis Fleming must be seeing ghosts" (as he passes yet another ball to an empty space)

"Shelbourne are now making their substitution, they are taking off Jason Byrne, Jason Byrne is going off ! they are taking off the wrong man! well I have seen plenty of amadains in my life but Pat Fenlon is amadain amhain"

patsh
16/08/2005, 3:20 PM
With Shels "tactics" it was a hard game to watch on TV. Even if there were good parts, having to listen to Dolan negates those positives. Would drafting in Michael O Muircheartaigh not help to spice up the commentary?

Shels defender on the ball, " he steadies himself, connects with the ball, suas san aer, with all this hoofing he'll need the attention of a blacksmith soon"
"Curtis Fleming must be seeing ghosts" (as he passes yet another ball to an empty space)

"Shelbourne are now making their substitution, they are taking off Jason Byrne, Jason Byrne is going off ! they are taking off the wrong man! well I have seen plenty of amadains in my life but Pat Fenlon is amadain amhain"
Class...:D :D

BohDiddley
16/08/2005, 3:39 PM
From the indo write-up:
In the second half Shelbourne rained high balls in on top of the Cork defence for long minutes but without much success thanks to heroic defending from captain Dan Murray and Alan Bennett.

Shels huffed and puffed in a predictable muscular fashion and there were times when the contest threatened to boil over.

A stricter referee would surely have made use of the yellow card option earlier and more often.

This is the sort of play that gives barstoolers the excuse they need to slag off EL football. If we want to raise the standard of the game, refs should listen to Gareth Farrelly's call for more protection for players. But let's not hold our breath -- I'd say Friday at Tolka will bring more of the same.

madjack
16/08/2005, 6:43 PM
Fenlon has lost the plot. And the Premier League. He was like a spoiled little boy at the home game before Cork. A man in such a position has gotta have more self control. Prat.

TonyD
16/08/2005, 9:20 PM
All in all, good times to be a Shelbourne hater :D :D :D

Dr.Nightdub
16/08/2005, 9:48 PM
I think youse are all being terribly unfair to poor wee Nutsy. He actually showed great variety in his tactics - hoof it long to Byrne, hoof it long to Crowe, hoof it long to Harris. And who else other than a managerial genius would come up with the tactic of hoofing it long to Baker? If Hoolahan really wanted the ball, he should've made himself more available - by standing on the 18 yard line and waiting to be hoofed to.

hoopy
17/08/2005, 8:25 PM
refs should listen to Gareth Farrelly's call for more protection for players. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, and maybe Farrelly should stop going to refs to get players booked. Shels fans continually ignore the change in their defence. How many goals did the Harris/Rogers combo lose? Now how many have Shels let in with bignose in the side?