PDA

View Full Version : All the bogeys are disappearing . . .

Fair_play_boy
15/08/2005, 10:10 PM
First we don't bottle it when we play Shels in the Setanta Cup, Behan scoring a scorcher.
Second we win away against Shels.
Ok, Shels win in a dubious SC game at Tolka.
Then what?
We break the bogey of playing to a live TV audience.
In the same season, we win our third game out of four so far against Shels.
What a night tonight. Not since the NEC game, have I seen the quality of the atmosphere.
Dan Murray was letting nothing past him, even balls that were clearly going to Divine.
Kearney deserved a goal for his efforts, pity Delaney made his save of the season. :( He sent Owen Heary home to Dubland with his tail well and truly down.
Danny Murphy is, I think, playing his best football for City since he joined us.
Fenn was not very well protected by McKeon, who had a strange night overall, in spite of a strong starting 20 minutes.
My kids wanted to stay there all night, just to enjoy the afterglow. Just home now. Carlsberg don't do home games, but if they did . . . . .

superfrank
15/08/2005, 10:13 PM
Fair play Cork. Have to say watching the match you never looked like losing. I thought Kearney played class tonight, my MOTM. Well done lads.

pete
16/08/2005, 9:00 AM
The City defense is outstanding. I coudl play in goals myself & keep a clean sheet. Game after game almost no shots allowed on goal.

The confidence in the team is amazing & people have suggested they'd be distracted by Doyle departure, & then europe but the wins keep coming.

Ruairi
16/08/2005, 9:40 AM
Bogeys are all just mental.. Rico is working very hard on the mental side of things with the lads, and improving their concentration...

EnDai
16/08/2005, 9:45 AM
Fair play Cork. Have to say watching the match you never looked like losing. I thought Kearney played class tonight, my MOTM. Well done lads.

Aye they never looked like losing, helped by the fact that we never looked like winning :mad: :(

pete
16/08/2005, 9:55 AM
Bogeys are all just mental.. Rico is working very hard on the mental side of things with the lads, and improving their concentration...

I think Rico is only getting started too.

He seems to focus on area of the team at a time & then when got that sorted moves onto the next. He a started with defense, recently been concentration & Fenn scoring more.

Legend!

dancinpants
16/08/2005, 5:33 PM
Rico is working very hard on the mental side of things with the lads, and improving their concentration...

Yeah, Rico's so fcukin' mental that the players don't have to be... ;)

ccfcgirl
16/08/2005, 5:57 PM
Great game,Brilliant athmosphere.Roll on Derry.

Counting Crow
16/08/2005, 9:34 PM
The City defense is outstanding. I coudl play in goals myself & keep a clean sheet. Game after game almost no shots allowed on goal.

The confidence in the team is amazing & people have suggested they'd be distracted by Doyle departure, & then europe but the wins keep coming.

Agree Pete.

I thought ALL 4 were unbelievable last night.

Murphy - Fcuk me, would like to see him coming at you for a tackle.....and the little digs in Bakers ribs were "payback" time for all those games before when they kicked 7 sades of sh1t out of us.
Murray - Captain fantastic (I suppose it was only a matter of time before someone used this title) massive in everything he did. Unbeatable in the air, strong in the tackle and is anticipating passes now like Bekenbauer
Bennett - Must get on the Eircom League Team of the season. Mighty player and getting better with every game (if that is possible).
Hoggie - Well, what can you say about the man..........what a goal.........what a smashing and unassuming bloke.........what a performance..........what a night.

"Your not Champions anymore"............class :D

EnDai
16/08/2005, 9:55 PM
Murphy - Fcuk me, would like to see him coming at you for a tackle.....and the little digs in Bakers ribs were "payback" time for all those games before when they kicked 7 sades of sh1t out of us.

Rofl. I don't know where to begin. Noone mentions anything about him, so you decide to bring it up, and defend his continuous elbowing of Richie baker in the ribs. If a Shels player was doing it to Murphy you'd be up in arms calling for his head and he should have been sent off and banned, that he was a total cheat and scumbag and clearly the spawn of Satan. There is no "you did this or you did that" comeback for this sort of tripe, doing that was scummy, and supporting it is even scummier.

Sheesh... :rolleyes:

A face
16/08/2005, 10:48 PM

Didn't see that ...... but delighted to hear it .... the amount of two footed tackles by Richie Baker, digs into the back of the head right under the nose of the ref by Jason Byrne, the crap 'roll and swipe, and hopefully he'll lash out' by Hawkins, someone trying to decapitate Gamble, and more hanging off his arm for him to still get away and pass on brilliantly .... unreal .... we got no change off the ref at all for long long periods in the game.

If someone broke Bakers leg ... it wouldn't have been enough.

I know that is totally out of order, and the game will never improve as a result of it but i really dont care, i am so fúcked off of Shels and their tactics .... no one can defend them and they should get as much, if not more of what they give. Kunts !! .... They drag down the standard of ball in this country for long enough ..... time for a big crisis to come their way !!

pete
16/08/2005, 10:54 PM
I didn't see what you said Murphy did but i know what hes like. Always a hot head just simmering under the surface.

Schunter Netz
17/08/2005, 12:13 AM
Counting Crow is exaggerating, blowing up Danny's tough reputation. Murphy is an extraordinary warrior who takes no prisoners, but the truth is that he was incredibly disciplined against one of the nastiest players in the league. Danny was an angel in the face of intimidation on Monday. Shels were dignified in defeat, fair dues, but anything but dignified in their attempt to wrestle the game from the better team.
Has there ever been an appearance by a Baker Boy in the Cross where one of the runts didn't first of all have a bad game only to be eventually sent off for losing the rag? Not many. If its not young Desmond, its Richard, taking an angry but lonely walk. It would be interesting to check the statistics - how many Baker Boy sendings off have there been in the Cross? More than they have finished? What is their problem? Possibly...probably, the humiliating fact that they haven't been allowed to get even halfway through their disappointing careers before being eclipsed by the brilliance of the likes of true pros like Liam Kearney who get better rather than angrier as they develop their careers.

Schunter Netz
17/08/2005, 12:20 AM
...and A Face is right...Shels were appalling in their violent attempt to disrupt City. No neutral ref would have allowed it. When the dust clears, they will be remembered as bad champions, a poor team with a mean attitude and a neurotic former manager.

Troy.McClure
17/08/2005, 3:37 PM
We even beat UCD in Belfield too! :eek:

Murphy was charged up on Monday but generally kept his calm. After he got booked Dan Murray went over to him and reminded him that he needs to focus and keep cool. very good captaning IMO.

Fair_play_boy
17/08/2005, 10:59 PM
I did not see the highlights of the game. Did they show the schemozzle that involved Fenn (I think), Gamble and a Shels toe rag wrestling on the ground in front of the fourth official? It was weird, play was going on, and Fenn (I think) was trying to get a filthy Shelbourne knee off his throat, and Gamble waded in to help. The fourth official could have / should have intervened after the incident, cos the ref was watching play to go on as City looked like scoring.

Troy.McClure
18/08/2005, 12:55 PM
Another bogey that we have got rid of is winning on tv too, I forgot about that :)

hoops1
18/08/2005, 1:02 PM
Dont forget Rico's last day curse!Jinx
Still havent got over that one yet!

coislaoi
18/08/2005, 2:19 PM
Still havent got over that one yet!
That's true - but it won't go to the last day so we'll never know. :D

radar
18/08/2005, 9:32 PM
We even beat UCD in Belfield too! :eek:

Murphy was charged up on Monday but generally kept his calm. After he got booked Dan Murray went over to him and reminded him that he needs to focus and keep cool. very good captaning IMO.

But Troy Troy what about Waterford? We still cant beat them. Maybe November? Good point about Murray because Murphy was lucky in the extreme not to be sent off. As he ran back Richarson was saying the same thing to him. Channel the agression in a positive manner not foolarseing (this word is allowed in Cork) around with the likes of Heary and his band of Apes. This for me has been the key difference between Dolan and Damien. Dolan wound up the nobody loves us crap and railed against all comers. Refs, linesmen, opposing managers, opposing players, opposing mascots etc. When City were dealt the injustice away to Shels in the Setanta Richardson spoke only of how best to deal with such inevitable hardships. Something like channel the injustice in a positive manner. Imagine the vitriol Dolan would have come out with? And where would it have got us? Nowhere. The different approach i think has had a huge effect. Focus is the buzz word. All acts and words address merely the end aim. It shows on the pitch. Its United in the sense Murray was saying to Murphy what the manager was saying and has been saying. An interesting thing to watch is the appeal of Roy O' Donovan's ban tonight. The result will be known tomorrow. Who do you think would be more likely to get a positive result here? City ala Pat or City ala Richardson? My money is on Richardson. The FAI would never grant Pat Dolan anything because he has a personal, public and possibly justified gripe with them. Richardsons way is one of calmness, not of upsetting nor even touching one flower. Bet you Roy plays against Derry tomorrow night. Sorry for going on so long.

Colm
18/08/2005, 9:47 PM
But Troy Troy what about Waterford? We still cant beat them. Maybe November? Good point about Murray because Murphy was lucky in the extreme not to be sent off. As he ran back Richarson was saying the same thing to him. Channel the agression in a positive manner not foolarseing (this word is allowed in Cork) around with the likes of Heary and his band of Apes. This for me has been the key difference between Dolan and Damien. Dolan wound up the nobody loves us crap and railed against all comers. Refs, linesmen, opposing managers, opposing players, opposing mascots etc. When City were dealt the injustice away to Shels in the Setanta Richardson spoke only of how best to deal with such inevitable hardships. Something like channel the injustice in a positive manner. Imagine the vitriol Dolan would have come out with? And where would it have got us? Nowhere. The different approach i think has had a huge effect. Focus is the buzz word. All acts and words address merely the end aim. It shows on the pitch. Its United in the sense Murray was saying to Murphy what the manager was saying and has been saying. An interesting thing to watch is the appeal of Roy O' Donovan's ban tonight. The result will be known tomorrow. Who do you think would be more likely to get a positive result here? City ala Pat or City ala Richardson? My money is on Richardson. The FAI would never grant Pat Dolan anything because he has a personal, public and possibly justified gripe with them. Richardsons way is one of calmness, not of upsetting nor even touching one flower. Bet you Roy plays against Derry tomorrow night. Sorry for going on so long.

To be honest after the Shels Setanta game Rico was spouting all sorts of vitriol about how Shels officials had got to the ref/linesman at half time and intimidated them etc.

He was dead right but was far calm about it. Fair play to him too, these things have to be highlighted.

Éanna
18/08/2005, 10:35 PM
i watched the hole match from home, and in all fairness to cork city were by far the better team, and there defence was amazing, baker deserved to be sent off i agree and there was alot of handbags, but one cork fan compared liam kearney to richie baker and liam is one of my favourite el players, but he would do very well to do what richie baker has done etc... over the years going to america etc... also fair play to richardson for playing gamble so much this season what a player he kept wes houlihan fairly quiet for the gameComparing Kearney to that little squirt baker is an insult. Baker is one of the worst players in any of the top 4 or 5 clubs in the country, whereas kearney should be knocking on the door of the ireland squad, if it wasn't for some fella called duff....

Fair_play_boy
18/08/2005, 11:22 PM
Comparing Kearney to that little squirt baker is an insult. Baker is one of the worst players in any of the top 4 or 5 clubs in the country, whereas kearney should be knocking on the door of the ireland squad, if it wasn't for some fella called duff....Fer feck sake, keep yer voice down!!!!! :eek: He's our best kept secret. No need to get the Serie A fellers snooping around us, now is there?

harry crumb
18/08/2005, 11:27 PM
Kearney is a class act. And a nicer fella you couldn't meet.

Contract for Kearney & Flynny.

I dont think John O'Flynn has such a strong position as the last time he signed. His form has dipped and he has been plaughed by injuries. Hopefully both will sign before the end of the season. :ball:

radar
18/08/2005, 11:35 PM
Comparing Kearney to that little squirt baker is an insult. Baker is one of the worst players in any of the top 4 or 5 clubs in the country, whereas kearney should be knocking on the door of the ireland squad, if it wasn't for some fella called duff....

This might sound negative but Kearney for Ireland seems daft. I just cant see how you can believe that he is up to that level. I have great time for him. But i dont think he is knocking on the door of the Ireland squad. Even anywhere near it. Be interesting if people who read this comment throw their opinion. Like all sites there are many views but few replies. So it would be great if people who read Eannas message and any replies take the step to chance a comment. People who post opinions deserve credit and if their opinions are good enough to read they are good enough to reply to. So is Kearney good enough to play for Ireland? Chance a reply it wont hurt. The more opinions the better.

Fair_play_boy
19/08/2005, 5:10 PM
. . . is Kearney good enough to play for Ireland? Chance a reply it wont hurt. The more opinions the better.Fair point.
Kearney is a really exciting, creative and resourceful player. But is he good enough? Any player's chances of making the national team are down to two factors: the quality of the players who are competing for the same position, and how well the style of the player fits in with the manager's game plan. That is the same in any international set up. If Kearney is the best available at any time, that will define if he is good enough. I think it is relative. And if he is picked, I think he will move up a gear and do the green shirt proud.

Fair_play_boy
19/11/2005, 12:15 PM
Still havent got over that one yet!There goes THAT bogey too!

A face
19/11/2005, 5:50 PM
There goes THAT bogey too!

Snot a bogey in sight !! :p