PDA

View Full Version : Do GAA county teams have away jerseys ?

OwlsFan
15/08/2005, 12:24 PM
I meant to comment on this before. Anyone see the Mayo vs Kerry game ? Green and yellow vs Green & red. Ok so it was a slightly different shade of green but to me they were too similar to be on opposite sides.

Risteard
15/08/2005, 12:36 PM
They usually just reverse the two colours for their second strip.
ie Corks second is white with red trim.
I dunno about Carlow but no way is it as good as their regular jersey.
Tipp v Clare is a problem sometimes i think.

joeSoap
15/08/2005, 12:44 PM
Limericks is white with a green trim

Eire06
15/08/2005, 12:55 PM
I meant to comment on this before. Anyone see the Mayo vs Kerry game ? Green and yellow vs Green & red. Ok so it was a slightly different shade of green but to me they were too similar to be on opposite sides.
Yes all counties have an away strip as far as I know..
I watched the Mayo Kerry match on TV and it was hard at times to distinguish between them(Mind you the colour on the screen in teh bar I was watching it wasn't that great)! Did wonder why one of them didn't wear their away jerseys :confused:

shedite
15/08/2005, 1:52 PM
Yeah last week was kinda bad for colours alright. The Cork/Galway was a cloose match too.

In the old days, there weren't so many lcashes with all the usual rivals having distinct colours and when teams did clash, they used to wear the provincial jerseys (ie Munsters Blue). In about 95, when clashes became more common, teams brought out second strips. I think Kerry were the first to do it with their Blue adidas kit.

hamish
15/08/2005, 2:37 PM
Yeah last week was kinda bad for colours alright. The Cork/Galway was a cloose match too.

In the old days, there weren't so many lcashes with all the usual rivals having distinct colours and when teams did clash, they used to wear the provincial jerseys (ie Munsters Blue). In about 95, when clashes became more common, teams brought out second strips. I think Kerry were the first to do it with their Blue adidas kit.

I remember a match between Westmeath and Galway in the late sixties here in Duggan Park.

No kidding, they BOTH wore maroon jersies and those days there were no fancy jersey markings/flashes etc to make distinctions - just 30 blokes in the exact same plain maroon jersies. :D
Needless to say, it was chaotic. Players were passing to the opposition and so on. Even when any fights broke out, lads were punching their own players sometimes. :D

monutdfc
15/08/2005, 3:27 PM

I remember watching Monaghan wear blue v Tyrone in 1985 I think it was.
Mayo sell a white 2nd shirt, why didn't they wear it v Kerry?

Eire06
15/08/2005, 3:31 PM
I remember watching Monaghan wear blue v Tyrone in 1985 I think it was.
Mayo sell a white 2nd shirt, why didn't they wear it v Kerry?

Why didn't Kerry wear their away one (white with a green stripe I think)!!

magic moments
15/08/2005, 3:48 PM
We(MAYO) have 2 away jerseys, one of which is red worn in last years final and the other is a white one

Lionel Ritchie
15/08/2005, 4:03 PM
Watched a bit of Limerick playing Kerry a few weeks back on telly and it was utterly ridiculous. Both wearing green socks and white trunks and kerrys solitary hoop of amber distinguishing between them. :rolleyes:

deecay
16/08/2005, 4:33 PM
Until about 4 years ago Sligo always played in white. Then we played Kildare in the qualifers and had to play in black. Sligo won that game and have played in black ever since. We are the only county that i know of to change county colours. We changed from white and black to black and white :confused: . Doesnt sound different but it is :D

Lionel Ritchie
17/08/2005, 9:30 AM
Question: why do Sligo Rovers play in red and white if the "county colours" :rolleyes: are black and white?

Just curious. Limerick wear blue as opposed to our county colours green (roll eyes again :rolleyes: ) for what I think is a fantastic reason that shows the inherent good nature of football.

When Limerick started off in the 1930's we'd a shortage of or to be precise no kit. Waterford gave us a set of gear and since then we've worn Waterfords colours leading to some memorable chants of "who's shirts have you on?" when the Waterford boys come to town. :D

Limerick GAA have on the other hand been a near consistent thorn in the a rse of real football at all levels in the region and frankly I kind of resent our recent change to wearing a green away shirt just to mop up a few gae boys.

gustavo
17/08/2005, 9:40 AM
didnt longford do the same with their away shirt the same as the longford GAA colours ?

monutdfc
17/08/2005, 10:42 AM
Back in the old days, counties were represented by their county champions. Hence for many counties, their county colours are simply colours of a major team in the county.

Kingdom
17/08/2005, 11:22 AM
The GAA is no different than any other major sport at the moment and they realise the potential for revenue from shirt sales that the young boys and more recently the teenage girls bring in. Thus adding an "away" jersey is a nice little earner for the relevant county boards.

Kerry brought out the white jersey before they played Meath in 2001 and having already bought the home one I decided to buy the away jersey. Went to the Semi where we were demolished by 11 points. I've never worn it to Croker since. Nice jersey though.

bigmac
17/08/2005, 1:38 PM
When Limerick started off in the 1930's we'd a shortage of or to be precise no kit. Waterford gave us a set of gear and since then we've worn Waterfords colours leading to some memorable chants of "who's shirts have you on?" when the Waterford boys come to town. :D

Fair play to Limerick as well - the club has always remembered that gesture.

Metrostars
17/08/2005, 2:28 PM

I remember in the past Cork-Galway games, Galway either wore maroon shorts so they were all maroon or Cork work black shorts with their red shirts like Man Utd do sometimes.

The Stars
18/08/2005, 9:57 AM

Dont feel bad for wearing waterfords colours....look at Juventus,they got their famous black and white striped jerseys off Notts County.

RĂ©iteoir
18/08/2005, 12:55 PM
Don't some county goalkeepers wear the away jersey as their goalkeeping jersey?

drummerboy
18/08/2005, 1:00 PM
Dubs keeper Cluxton has worn the white away jersey for Dublin this season, except against Tyrone, who wear white.

strangeirish
18/08/2005, 8:03 PM
I don't think Kildare has an away kit. Of course, we don't have a feckin' team either!!!

hamish
18/08/2005, 8:32 PM
I don't think Kildare has an away kit. Of course, we don't have a feckin' team either!!!

I support Kidare GAA as well - dad was from there. Always thought Kildare are the West Ham (favourite English club) of Gaelic football - y'know, nice to look at but win fcuk all. :D

Kingdom
19/08/2005, 8:45 AM
Always thought Kildare are the West Ham (favourite English club) of Gaelic football - y'know, nice to look at

You must be fcukin jokin - have not seen Johnny Doyle. Jaysus the man looks look his father is his brother.

;)

Ash
19/08/2005, 1:23 PM
Westmeaths away jersey is white with maroon trim, but they also had a
green kit which was fairly cool but I only remember them wearing it during trail
games - Westmeath Maroons v Westmeath Greens!

As far as I can remember, although I could be wrong, Longford brought out
the blue and yellow away kit for the cup final against Bohs
(lost 1-0 Toccy scored) to try and generate support among the GAA followers
as its the county GAA colours.

They used to have a green and white away kit many moons ago, sponsored
by a place in Athlone!!!!!!
(Im assured that the current sponsors arent our branch of Flancare!)

hamish
19/08/2005, 2:02 PM
You must be fcukin jokin - have not seen Johnny Doyle. Jaysus the man looks look his father is his brother.

;)

I meant their fancy dancy football..........what are you doing looking at the men for Kingdom :p :D

Kingdom
19/08/2005, 2:23 PM
I've seen Johnny Doyle up close in Sallins one night. If ever an eyebrow raiser was invented for one man...... any camogie teams take my fancy Hamish, either that or the Russian U/19 soccer team.

hamish
19/08/2005, 2:49 PM
I've seen Johnny Doyle up close in Sallins one night

:eek: :eek:

CollegeTillIDie
20/08/2005, 7:56 AM
Fair play to Limerick as well - the club has always remembered that gesture.

it just illustrates the mutual dependence of EL clubs on one another... ;)

Partizan
20/08/2005, 10:54 AM

any chance UCD might change their strip to a giant condom?

It kind of signifies what students get up to these days. :D

TommyGaynor
20/08/2005, 2:33 PM
Thank God, I thought I was the only person who realised how utterly ridiculous the colour clashing situtation is in GAA. Basically, the reason most counties don't change is because they think it would be seen as a sign of weakness to change from their normal colours, totally overlooking the fact that the only reason teams have colours is so as to distinguish them. In the programme at the Cork/Galway Kerry/Mayo matches, there was a picture of a Cork and Galway league game from 03 where Galway wore white and pictures of last years AI final where Mayo wore red against Kerry, yet nobody seemed to find anything odd in the fact that both games were colour clashes. I have written to the GAA on this subject, and they didn't seem to see any problem, saying that when clashes arise they are dealt with. I just find it amazing that Kerry and Mayo have the same jerseys this year as they did last year yet last year it was considered a clash but this year it wasn't. Another stupid one this summer was Armagh v Derry, where Armagh had their normal reddish orange and white shorts while Derry had all red with a white hoop, yet in Derry's subsequent games they wore white with a red hoop.

CollegeTillIDie
20/08/2005, 3:02 PM
any chance UCD might change their strip to a giant condom?

It kind of signifies what students get up to these days. :D

Well unlike the Blues this season we are not f***** off the field :D

bigmac
20/08/2005, 11:38 PM

yeah, any chance of a few million euros??

sylvo
27/08/2005, 7:11 PM

Getting into the old marketing have the lillywhites, they've got a dark green one, never got many chances to wear it though.

harpskid
28/08/2005, 10:58 AM
Donegal's away jersey is green

monutdfc
29/08/2005, 5:28 PM
Mayo wore white against Kerry in the minor game yesterday

TommyGaynor
04/09/2005, 10:22 AM
Small piece on this subject in the Sideline Cuts column of the Tribune today

oconghc2
04/09/2005, 6:06 PM
the dubs have a white jersey and there's also an inverted one of the home jersey - mostly navy.