First Division

Cobh v Athlone
Kerry v Bray
Treaty v Galway
Wexford v Longford
Finn Harps v Waterford (20:00)

sbgawa
16/05/2023, 3:49 PM
Couple of big games from a "are we chalenging for Europe or mid table" kind of perspective.

Shels v St PAts 5th and 6th in the table (in that order) so a win and Shels are looking up.
Ditto for Dundalk and Bohs, a win for Dundalk and they are level with Bohs in 3rd place a loss and they are 6 points off 3rd and probably 5th place after other results.

Rovers have had a tough run against Derry , Bohs , the all conquering Apil 28th 2023 Sligo with UCD in there as well and have a theoretically easie r couple of games coming up agianst Drogs and Cork but its exactly these types of games that trip you up when you are on a roll.

Chance for Harps to show they have improvement in them against Waterford but hard to bet against Waterford or Galway.

joey B
16/05/2023, 4:44 PM
11/1 we are on Friday and I wouldn’t put a penny on us!

outspoken
16/05/2023, 5:03 PM
We probably won't get anything on Friday but Wexford are a poor side so who knows. Turning into a depressing season

Martinho II
16/05/2023, 8:05 PM
We probably won't get anything on Friday but Wexford are a poor side so who knows. Turning into a depressing season

I dont understand the logic of shortenin the pitch. Whose idea was this last weekend?

thebronze14
16/05/2023, 8:52 PM
Yep... It could be a massacre if Waterford are in the mood

Knocklyonhoop
16/05/2023, 9:42 PM
It’s mad. Rovers and Shels have the same home record but goals for and against 19-13 vs 7-4 ! Only Dundalk (level on 13) and UCD 14 can match Rovers’ home leaky defence

nigel-harps1954
17/05/2023, 12:22 AM

Cheeky tenner..sure why not.

culloty82
17/05/2023, 12:50 PM
Interesting challenge for Kerry on Friday - certainly, Bray will have play-off aspirations in mind, and Omorehiomwan tore our defence to shreds at the Carlisle Grounds, but we've almost scored as many goals in the last two games as the entire rest of the season, and Ryan Kelliher is in red-hot form.

wonder88
18/05/2023, 6:08 PM
One of the 2 reasonably handy away trips for Galway fans on Friday, so hopefully get a decent support down to the Markets Field. Last time I was there, for the play-off was such a disappointing night, so hoping for better fortune this time. Looks like the Waterford owner will be providing money to bring new players in during the upcoming transfer window, so Galway need to keep the wins coming to maintain the gap.

legendz
19/05/2023, 4:15 PM
VM have four terrestrial channels. If they came on board with the idea of a standalone game on a Saturday evening, allowing for the exception of Sligo, Longford and Derry, they could be the more suitable broadcast partner.
Shels v Pat's on VM this evening. Those of us supporting one of the other 18 clubs will miss out. A Saturday show could feature highlights from the evening before with a review. 7pm highlights with review and reaction. 7:30pm build up to the live game.

Philosophizer
19/05/2023, 6:44 PM
The roof on that main stand at Tolka really doesn’t look great on tv…
Can’t understand why they can’t paint it. Surely it wouldn’t cost much…

Philosophizer
19/05/2023, 6:47 PM
In fairness tho the atmosphere looks great! Looks like a vibrant crowd near capacity. And with the flares it’s nearly tough to see the pitch… it’s like watching an Italian match on channel 4 in the 90s

Battery Rover
19/05/2023, 6:54 PM
Athlone Town line up tonight vs Cobh Ramblers is a true international team with Aaron Connoly the only Irish born player in the starting 11.

Vladi Velekin
Fuentes Rodriguez
Noah Van Geenen
Patrick Hickey
Aaron Connolly
Franz Pierrot
Valerii Dolia
Haji Abdikadir
Jamar Campion-Hinds
Nazar Zubkov
Matthew Leal

E. Williams is a new name on the bench under the USA flag

Battery Rover
19/05/2023, 7:02 PM
Athlone Town line up tonight vs Cobh Ramblers is a true international team with Aaron Connoly the only Irish born player in the starting 11.

Vladi Velekin
Fuentes Rodriguez
Noah Van Geenen
Patrick Hickey
Aaron Connolly
Franz Pierrot
Valerii Dolia
Haji Abdikadir
Jamar Campion-Hinds
Nazar Zubkov
Matthew Leal

E. Williams is a new name on the bench under the USA flag

Looks like Emelio Williams who owns Valeo FC is on the bench as a coach / manager for Athlone Town FC

culloty82
19/05/2023, 7:18 PM
30 minutes with nothing to report at Mounthawk Park, which makes an improvement from the regular early concessions previously in the season.

Shinkicker
19/05/2023, 7:43 PM
3 minutes gone James Talbot flapping for a corner missed it be a mile 1-0 Dundalk. Dundalk pressing him when he's given a ball in play and making him play terrible passes. Let him go training with Ireland and give Dennison a chance.

Philosophizer
19/05/2023, 7:55 PM
The quality of play at Tolka is poor tonight. Some awful passing.

pineapple stu
19/05/2023, 8:02 PM
Here's hoping that injury time this week is as profitable as it was last week...

Shinkicker
19/05/2023, 8:35 PM
All Bohs in the second half. They have come back to level 2-2 in the 87th minute and the Co commentator say Bohs are "probably" the better team in this half.

Shinkicker
19/05/2023, 8:42 PM
Jay Ben and Afolabi made the difference in the second half. Definitely deserved the draw.

culloty82
19/05/2023, 8:43 PM
Finishes 2-0 to Bray - they were clinical with their chances in the second half, while Kerry failed to take advantage of their good spell in the first.

Dermobohs
19/05/2023, 8:50 PM
Jay Ben and Afolabi made the difference in the second half. Definitely deserved the draw.
Would agree, worried that we only play for 45 mins though. Talbot was gash, but don’t be letting coote away either, that’s two in a row stinkers from him . Keepers are easy cause mistake equals goal but midfield is where it’s at, and we’ve not had all 5 play as one all season .Mind you, come away from Oriel with a point after a ****ebag first 45? Take that all day.

joey B
19/05/2023, 9:38 PM
Routine for Waterford,little resistance from a very poor Harps team….

Martinho II
19/05/2023, 9:38 PM
Staying over tonight in Wexford what a performance compared to last week! this Brianan Whitmarsh is some signing he was immense for us. One of our backroom staff was telling me that hes signed with us till the next transfer window. One of the Premiership clubs are heavily linked with him. Same with his younger brother at Cork City!

Shearer
19/05/2023, 10:02 PM
Has Dave Rogers deleted his twitter yet?

nigel-harps1954
19/05/2023, 10:16 PM
Has Dave Rogers deleted his twitter yet?

The honeymoon phase between Harps fans and Dave Rogers may be coming to an end, with the former finally realising that the latter doesn't actually s**t chocolate.

A four year deal for a fella with no senior experience who seems more concerned with taking photos at a funeral mass, buying bottles of wine and deleting his twitter account after every loss.

Dave Rogers deleting his twitter account when they lose and coming back a few days later is hilarious. Even funnier is this weekend when he put out a tweet saying he isn't above to criticism, yet he limited replies to tweets and turned his account private soon after.

Did he p!ss in your cornflakes or something?

ger121
19/05/2023, 10:24 PM
Needed that tonight. 3 losses in a row with no goals scored would really start to get you worried.
For all the talk of getting a slice of the betting tax, you would want to be mad to bet on the LOI as you just have no idea a lot of the time who the hell will come away with the points. It really is a crazy league!

Shearer
19/05/2023, 10:26 PM
Did he p!ss in your cornflakes or something?
Just funny

Knocklyonhoop
19/05/2023, 10:44 PM
While we created a ton of chances tonight…. It did have a sense that Drogs were comfortable enough. Two class goals to be fair too.

Hopefully the kick up the hole needed for us at home…. 15 goals conceded (most of f them the same - on the break) at home vs 2 away in a game less

Philosophizer
19/05/2023, 10:49 PM
While we created a ton of chances tonight…. It did have a sense that Drogs were comfortable enough. Two class goals to be fair too.

Hopefully the kick up the hole needed for us at home…. 15 goals conceded (most of f them the same - on the break) at home vs 2 away in a game less
Just watched the highlight. Seems like Drogs were unlucky in some games recently but that certainly was turned on its head tonight. They could easily have lost about 6-2 tonight.

wonder88
19/05/2023, 11:26 PM
Once Galway got the second goal (great work by Manley in build-up) it was fairly comfortable against a Limerick side who started well and will be rightly unhappy about the penalty given for handball against them. Went over to the grass terrace for the second half and noticed that the stand has a much smaller crowd in it than I thought when sitting there. Also Horgan would be better off cutting out some of his antics. Strange choice for second sub by Caulfield also.

pineapple stu
19/05/2023, 11:46 PM
Huge gap now between the top two and the rest in the Premier. I can't see them both not coming up - which will make for interesting promotion/relegation races next season. And probably fairly clear-cut ones the season after

Jack B
20/05/2023, 12:17 AM
Both of Drogheda's goals tonight were great, the second in particular was brilliant stuff from the move to the finish. Fair play.

Thought Pats did well tonight. Can see why Shels have been so tough to beat this season, they're a bit miserable style-wise (I'd imagine it'd be a lot better had they not had so many out injured) but set up well and make a slog out of it. I like they we actually managed to keep control of the game and were willing to rack up possession/passes and pick our moments because it's something you wouldn't have seen much preciously. Got the goal, Shels came out more and then chances came for both sides but ultimately we had the better of them and it should have been a more comfortable scoreline.

Forrester great again and in news to nobody Sam Curtis is just an unbelievable prospect. Worth a mention is Tom Grivosti, he flew under the radar last season with all the plaudits Redmond received but he's been solid for us and what was a messy defence with both of them out injured this season looks a lot better with him back in it.

Jd2793
20/05/2023, 10:04 AM
Staying over tonight in Wexford what a performance compared to last week! this Brianan Whitmarsh is some signing he was immense for us. One of our backroom staff was telling me that hes signed with us till the next transfer window. One of the Premiership clubs are heavily linked with him. Same with his younger brother at Cork City!

hes no where near premier division level im afraid. decent player if he has space to attack as he is pacey. wasnt very good with city in 2021

LOI101
20/05/2023, 10:56 AM
Both of Drogheda's goals tonight were great, the second in particular was brilliant stuff from the move to the finish. Fair play.

Thought Pats did well tonight. Can see why Shels have been so tough to beat this season, they're a bit miserable style-wise (I'd imagine it'd be a lot better had they not had so many out injured) but set up well and make a slog out of it. I like they we actually managed to keep control of the game and were willing to rack up possession/passes and pick our moments because it's something you wouldn't have seen much preciously. Got the goal, Shels came out more and then chances came for both sides but ultimately we had the better of them and it should have been a more comfortable scoreline.

Forrester great again and in news to nobody Sam Curtis is just an unbelievable prospect. Worth a mention is Tom Grivosti, he flew under the radar last season with all the plaudits Redmond received but he's been solid for us and what was a messy defence with both of them out injured this season looks a lot better with him back in it.

We're tough to beat until it comes to set-pieces. Another goal conceded from a corner. Needs improvement. Probably should have defended the situation that led to the corner better too. Pats good value for the win and could have been more as you mention.

brendy_éire
20/05/2023, 11:13 AM
All fairly routine at the Brandywell. The second and third goals involved some lovely touches.
Maher was raging to concede, but Wells deserved his goal for his quick reactions in the box. Our first goal conceded in the last four games.

Not even that much of a surprise that Drogs picked up in the win in Tallaght, ourselves and Rovers don't have good records against them.

I know it's a new, mostly young team, but Harps are shipping some amount of goals this season. Being a recent Premier team, and with the First table quite compact, do the fans have any expectation of a playoff spot? Surely that must have been the pre-season target?

nigel-harps1954
20/05/2023, 11:36 AM
I know it's a new, mostly young team, but Harps are shipping some amount of goals this season. Being a recent Premier team, and with the First table quite compact, do the fans have any expectation of a playoff spot? Surely that must have been the pre-season target?

I think most fans were realistic that this season was a total rebuild and had low expectations. I think 5th was the target, and it still is the target. A lot will depend on the summer transfer window. Two good young players already signed, and a few will likely depart too, as we don't have the budget to be adding to the squad.

A couple of wins can change a lot, and a young side low in confidence is shipping a lot of goals lately after a reasonable start to the season.

The target is always going to be next season. There's always going to be noise when you go down to a few heavy defeats. But the job Rogers has on his hands is arguably bigger than anything Ollie Horgan faced. People need to realise that we blew enormous money on utter rubbish last season, and I think Ollie got an easy run of it from Harps supporters, given how successful he was for years at getting us into the Premier and keeping us there, but realistically, we should have booted him last July, had a bit of a clearout, and saved money for this season. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.

joey B
20/05/2023, 11:40 AM

Play off was definitely the expectation,it was the manager’s expectation aswell but he hasn’t put together a squad capable of it unfortunately,we’re shipping goals and incapable of scoring,set pieces have been our main supply of goals.
Very disappointing all in all but he’s on a 4 year contract so he’s not going anywhere anytime soon….

cláirseach
20/05/2023, 12:02 PM
Harps have a collection of players who aren't up to it but they're also really poorly set up and extremely disorganised. Going on about Ollie Horgan again is complete deflection and embarassing to read.

Shearer
20/05/2023, 12:44 PM
Genuine question - how many clubs have a rebuild year in the First Division where they're full time? Harps are six points off the playoff spots with the second worst goal difference.

Harps chairman on about how 4 year deal for the manager and 2 year deal for (some) players has nothing to do with money and is about giving those lads security, but that's all well and good until you realise that some lads are ****e and you need them off your books. I'm not saying you should slash the budget entirely, but seems strange how full on they've gone.

Only reason I've kept beating this drum is because anytime I saw any criticism of the club or manager on social media the chairman was quickly on the case and was backed up by his merry men. I've seen some Harps people giving criticism of late which seems like things are turning some bit.

nigel-harps1954
20/05/2023, 1:55 PM
Harps have a collection of players who aren't up to it but they're also really poorly set up and extremely disorganised. Going on about Ollie Horgan again is complete deflection and embarassing to read.

It's entirely relevant. It's not on about Ollie Horgan as a person, or a manager, it's entirely relevant to the discussion that we haven't a pot to p!ss in because of last seasons overspending.

Genuine question - how many clubs have a rebuild year in the First Division where they're full time? Harps are six points off the playoff spots with the second worst goal difference.

Harps chairman on about how 4 year deal for the manager and 2 year deal for (some) players has nothing to do with money and is about giving those lads security, but that's all well and good until you realise that some lads are ****e and you need them off your books. I'm not saying you should slash the budget entirely, but seems strange how full on they've gone.

Only reason I've kept beating this drum is because anytime I saw any criticism of the club or manager on social media the chairman was quickly on the case and was backed up by his merry men. I've seen
some Harps people giving criticism of late which seems like things are turning some bit.

Nobody is above criticism, not least the current manager or the board. Plenty of mistakes have been made, and plenty are being made.

Harps aren't entirely full time either.

And I'd wager that those contracts have plenty of clauses in them to get rid of players in the event that it's not working out.

cláirseach
20/05/2023, 2:40 PM
It's entirely relevant. It's not on about Ollie Horgan as a person, or a manager, it's entirely relevant to the discussion that we haven't a pot to p!ss in because of last seasons overspending.

Are you stating that Harps made a loss last season as a result of an increased expenditure? To be clear, the current chairman who has laid out this new direction for the club was appointed in February 2022, before last season. If I recall correctly profits were recorded for the previous seasons.

nigel-harps1954
20/05/2023, 3:00 PM
Are you stating that Harps made a loss last season as a result of an increased expenditure? To be clear, the current chairman who has laid out this new direction for the club was appointed in February 2022, before last season. If I recall correctly profits were recorded for the previous seasons.

I can't say how much profit or loss was made until accounts are made public. There's more to a board than the chairman however.

cláirseach
20/05/2023, 6:45 PM
edited

oriel
20/05/2023, 8:01 PM
All Bohs in the second half. They have come back to level 2-2 in the 87th minute and the Co commentator say Bohs are "probably" the better team in this half.

As soon as Bohs got 1, everyone around me agreed it was only a matter of time for them to score again, from 2-0 up and cruising we just about hung on.

Confidence is low at Dundalk and fuelled by some strange decisions in game management in the last 2 matches.

Bohs were well worth that point.