PDA

View Full Version : Why?

1 9 2 8
14/08/2005, 8:01 PM
The Samba band, why get them back? Why were they put beside the Shed was it to drown out any singing? Is it just be or did the wreck anybody else’s head :mad:

nephin
14/08/2005, 8:26 PM
Probably trying to get some sort of atmosphere going. Might not have worked but at least they tried.
All I've heard here is people asking to get the shed open again to allow people back in to create an atmosphere with a bit of singing and chanting. Now that its open I think its quiter the place has got. Sure there's a bit of singing now and again but only when the team is winning. When the team need the support there's not a word.

Red4Eva
15/08/2005, 11:48 AM
i was right in da corner of da shed nearest da samba band, i couldn't concentrate on da game for 1st half. why will more ppl not go into the shed??

sligoman
15/08/2005, 11:50 AM
All I've heard here is people asking to get the shed open again to allow people back in to create an atmosphere with a bit of singing and chanting. Now that its open I think its quiter the place has got. Sure there's a bit of singing now and again but only when the team is winning. When the team need the support there's not a word.I agree! The samba band tried but failed

Rovers1
15/08/2005, 6:23 PM
it annoys the head off me,listenong to them but it does give a bit of atmosphere to the game. they should go to the railway end

madjack
16/08/2005, 11:11 AM
The Samba band, why get them back? Why were they put beside the Shed was it to drown out any singing? Is it just be or did the wreck anybody else’s head :mad:
you are just typical of the tiny mindedness of the current Rovers support :mad:
a few years back their attempts to make a bit of noise would have been drowned out by the singing in the shed, and the shed would have lead them in fact!
If I'm not mistaken the shed burst into song once and twice they did a rover chant which was ably assisted by the drum beaters. Drown out any singing! Get a life, or should I say get a voice!!! I've never seen the shed so layryngitic!!

madjack
16/08/2005, 11:14 AM
Probably trying to get some sort of atmosphere going. Might not have worked but at least they tried.
All I've heard here is people asking to get the shed open again to allow people back in to create an atmosphere with a bit of singing and chanting. Now that its open I think its quiter the place has got. Sure there's a bit of singing now and again but only when the team is winning. When the team need the support there's not a word.
totally agree. I keep seeing threads about the lack of atmosphere in the showgies and now when someone makes a bit of an effort the typical moanie-hole sligo response on this thread is "why bother". fcukwits.

madjack
16/08/2005, 11:18 AM
it annoys the head off me,listenong to them but it does give a bit of atmosphere to the game. they should go to the railway end
maybe you should make a bit of noise yourself and you mightnt notice them so much. Bunch of wimps. In my day the shed was alive with song, from "away in a manger" to na na na nah. Christ, on saturday they had every opportunity to sing something along with the beat created by the drummers, but what did they do?

Moan on an internet forum afterwards! Thats it, I've no more time for this bunch of wimps, I'm off to find a few real supporters. Maybe they should rename this area "the sligo rovers begrudgerers forum"

kkontour
16/08/2005, 11:25 AM
Thumbs up from me for the Samba Band. Thought they added decent noise when the crowd were quiet. It is needed as the shed hasent found its voice since the before the closure last season. :)

Red4Eva
16/08/2005, 11:27 AM
why will more people not go into the shed????? only a select few in there deserve criticism. it's hard to make enuff noise between a few ppl. if it was wedged there wud be far more singin

madjack
16/08/2005, 12:34 PM

FYI nobody put them anywhere... and it included 2 members of the Sligo Samba band - who came voluntarily out of the goodness of their hearts - and myself - a rovers fan and musician (not a drummer I might add) who, having discussed the lack of atmosphere with Gary of the bit o' red trust, agreed to try and do something about it.

So what do you suggest, brainbox 1928? I didnt hear any alternative ideas from you... I'm listening :cool:

Rory H
16/08/2005, 12:41 PM
brainbox :eek: ...cover your ears!!!

i vote for theme nights...70's night is st pats...

1 9 2 8
16/08/2005, 6:19 PM
a few years back their attempts to make a bit of noise would have been drowned out by the singing in the shed, and the shed would have lead them in fact!
No a few years ago when we had Galway in the cup the Shed was in full voice but IOM the samba band drown out the singing.

Get a life, or should I say get a voice!!! I've never seen the shed so layryngitic!!
I do sing for Rovers home and away. When was the last time you stood in the shed and sang your heart out for the Bit O' Red? :rolleyes:

So what do you suggest, brainbox 1928? I didnt hear any alternative ideas from you... I'm listening :cool:
Get more people in the Shed and there will be more noise in the Showgrounds having the samba band playing right beside it isn't going to help. What annoys me is that when we travel to away games we have large numbers of vocal support but at the Showgrounds most of these supporters stay quite. It's very dishearten for the few us fans who try and make an atmosphere at the Showgrounds. Then you wonder why there is a lack of noise from the shed? You should ask the awayday singers not me:(

madjack
16/08/2005, 6:58 PM
One thing is for sure - if there was enough singing and chanting you wouldnt have to worry about 3 drummers 1928. In answer to your other question -Unfortunately present and recent circumstances mean I dont get to as many games as Id like to but when I do I am amazed as to the negativity coming from the main stand in particular. Prior to the reopening of the shed at one game I saw faz produce moments of sublime magic only to be told "cross the f*****ng ball FFS" and another occasion had to restrain myself from boxing a guy behind me who just kept saying "stupid, stupid" every time we lost possession. With home support like that the away team have a great advantage :mad:
Anybody else believe thats a Sligo trait? call yourself a supporter, go to the games, and then knock them at every opportunity with negative sh1te - anything but actually support them...

1 9 2 8
16/08/2005, 7:16 PM
I hate that too madjack next time your in the Showgrounds go to the shed instead :)

Redzer
17/08/2005, 9:58 AM
One thing is for sure - if there was enough singing and chanting you wouldnt have to worry about 3 drummers 1928. In answer to your other question -Unfortunately present and recent circumstances mean I dont get to as many games as Id like to but when I do I am amazed as to the negativity coming from the main stand in particular. Prior to the reopening of the shed at one game I saw faz produce moments of sublime magic only to be told "cross the f*****ng ball FFS" and another occasion had to restrain myself from boxing a guy behind me who just kept saying "stupid, stupid" every time we lost possession. With home support like that the away team have a great advantage :mad:
Anybody else believe thats a Sligo trait? call yourself a supporter, go to the games, and then knock them at every opportunity with negative sh1te - anything but actually support them...
I think I can see where 1928 is coming from here. In all fairness to the Samba boys, their sound is not ideal for a football match. It’s the same drone beat all the time. You need a variety of different tunes or songs to create a football atmosphere. When the shedheads did chant, the band did try to give them a beat. But, their drum was not sharp enough; it just sounded very dull. If the Trust had given them their drum, it would have sounded better.
Also, It is very rare to hear the shedheads booing or abusing the team itself. That comes mainly from the “fair weather” supporters gathered in parts of the new stand. When things go wrong they are gone back to watch Super Sunday on the telly. While the shed boys still come and support the team.
I was disgusted on Saturday night when after full time a section in the main stand booed the team.
But, also the ref had not finished blowing the whistle when Conor O’Grady had ran down the tunnel. He should have stayed along with the rest of the team and applaud the supporters.

jstuff
17/08/2005, 12:48 PM
There was not too much noise from the shed in any event on Saturday night. A couple of spurts but nothing more.So there can be no complaining that the samba drums overshadowed the shed.

I thought the drummers done a good job, at least there was no dead silence so fair play to them for that.

On your comments about the drum, the drum is available for all supporters of sligo rovers to use, however, we tried to use it in the shed, but failed and we were told in no uncertain terms that the shedheads didn;t want a drum, drowning out there singing. Furthermore, they would stop singing if we joined in with the drum. So we have held back the drum from the showgrounds since then. There is no point in playing it in the new stand, for obvious reasons, ie the crowd giving out about the noise.
However, I will reiterate that the drum is available to all sligo rovers supporters on request.

On the crowd, it is a bit stupid to get onto the players about every mistake and definitely makes by blood boil, even passing back the field seems to get a boo or heckle. I suppose being top of the league has done this to our supporters and has increased the bar in terms of performance we expect from the players.

red arrow
17/08/2005, 8:30 PM
i am supporting the rovers for 35 years and i am still young at heart. i attend the matches with my 2 children in the new stand and sometimes it makes my blood boil to hear some of the comments from some of the supporters. for instance last sat night the team that one the yorkshire cup sat behind me. during the course of the game one of the team members never stopped talking to his friend and verbally abusing the quality of play on the field. he thought he knew it all. i would also say that he is not at every game from listening to his comments as his knowledge of the players names was limited. he then started to slag the crowd when they started to support the rovers. of course he was trying to impress his friends at least one of them had the guts to tell him shut up. my point hear is a guy playing under age football maybe he is a good player i dont know but i will tell yee something he let himself down and the team he represented and only that i am a patient person i would have turned around andboxed him in the lugs. now we are all hear to support sligo rovers and if the sambaband come out to make a bit of noise we should show our appreciation. i though they were very good. if it was gary kelly who arranged them fair play to him. if we all did as much as gary for the rovers instead of cribbing and crying we would all be better off. sometimes on this board you would think that some supporters were our enemies. for gods sake cut out the **** and be as one and support the rovers. we have shed heads ,drummer boys goths in sligo i dont care what yee call yourselves but please dont come across as being divided be as one and support the reds. i keep saying it all those young guys who gather in the shed get the numbers up nad start with the pats game. i love to look over from the new stand and see all the colour and hear the singing. this is where we can intimidate teams. remember the noise comming from the shed in the mid 90s. i say to all of yee now if each one of yee get 5 into the shed for the oats game with the drums and samba band and make as much noise as possible we can win this game. nobody has mentioned once how faz has tried to lift the crowd by making hand gestures to raise the noise levels. hear is a guy from another country telling us what e should be doing but nobody listens. ill say no more its up to yee to get the ball rolling

Shiba
17/08/2005, 11:02 PM
. Prior to the reopening of the shed at one game I saw faz produce moments of sublime magic only to be told "cross the f*****ng ball FFS" and another occasion had to restrain myself from boxing a guy behind me who just kept saying "stupid, stupid" every time we lost possession. With home support like that the away team have a great advantage ...

Cant agree more Madjack,I had lads sitn behind me at thelast game,abusing the players one minute and cheering them next and more so at the local players,just they grew up in the area of these guys thinks they can just abuse the F*** out of them.On this occasion it was Connor,not so long back Flannery and before that Gallagher.And with alot of poor preformance in the last few seasons not just this one,this kind of added pressure at home doesn't help team morale.

Red4Eva
18/08/2005, 1:36 PM
Also, It is very rare to hear the shedheads booing or abusing the team itself.
flannery,browne and gallagher mightn't agree with u there

i've said it a few times already but why won't more ppl go into the shed???

loadsa ppl are criticising the shed but it's hard to keep the noise goin if there's only 40 of us in it

akearins
18/08/2005, 2:44 PM
All too true.At one game I stood on the terrace beside the shed (shed was till closed) and a middle aged supporter starting his usual rant, this time it was about Flannery.At on stage he started to get onto him when he didnt chase a ball into the corner.5Mins later he chased down what seemed a lost cause and and was abused for wasting his energy chasing lost causes.Wher do you go from here. Well mayeb we are too nice if you hear someone constantly abusing the team and players tell them shut it, ask them are they here to support or abuse.The problem is that it seems acceptable to criticise the team and noone says anything so its about time we did....and it might stop.

Also for those criticising the side remember that last season we lost 17 Games last season and conceded 50 goals before that we Drew 13 and lost 9 conceding 39goals. Sean is working slightly over the budget Don had has us joint top and we still complain. So remember that when you start to criticise

Red4Eva
18/08/2005, 3:02 PM
have to agree with all of the above. i flipped out with one miserable old c*nt who kept layin into gallagher during da 1st limerick game this season. durin da same game i moved twice bcos there was ppl talkin bullsh*t. some1 told me after saturday's limerick game that when they were leaving the stand sum1 behind them was sayin "they should get rid of connor, he's useless". like wat da fu*k do ppl expect?? we're joint top

Rovers1
18/08/2005, 5:48 PM
[QUOTE=madjack] In my day [QUOTE]

:rolleyes:

Rovers1
18/08/2005, 5:49 PM
have to agree with all of the above. i flipped out with one miserable old c*nt who kept layin into gallagher during da 1st limerick game this season. durin da same game i moved twice bcos there was ppl talkin bullsh*t. some1 told me after saturday's limerick game that when they were leaving the stand sum1 behind them was sayin "they should get rid of connor, he's useless". like wat da fu*k do ppl expect?? we're joint top

aye,there was a muppet behind me saying that Connor 'didnt have a clue'
felt like punching the *****