PDA

View Full Version : Is Setanta Sports value for money...?

Closed Account 2
14/08/2005, 7:44 PM
At £140 for a year its pretty expensive, does it show the German and French League matches live, and does it show the top ones (eg Marseille-PSG, Bayern-Schalke etc) or does it just show poor ones (eg Frankfurt v Bielfeld) ? Does it (the UK based one) show any other leagues except the German, French and unmentionable one?

Poor Student
14/08/2005, 7:51 PM
I know the Irish one shows the French League. Not sure about what quality of games. It also shows Serie A I think? Isn't the Bundesliga covered by Sky Sports? It also shows the league which cannot be mentioned. As well as this it shows GAA and F1 too. Possibly Celtic League rugby as well.

jorge
14/08/2005, 10:30 PM
Yes,it shows most of the football Sky Sports 1,2,3,xtra and eurosport show plus loads more.(el,bundesliga,le championat internationals and all those other sports)

ciaran76
15/08/2005, 7:37 AM
If you have NTL it come part of the package. I watch some Prem. games on it and the German league. i am not sure if i would pay extra for it though

stickyjoe
15/08/2005, 8:15 AM
the setanta sports that you get free with NTL is excellent(not sure if its exactly same as the UK one). plenty of eircom,bundesliga,serie a matches & highlights. It also picks up a lot of matches which other stations dont have. Next week it is showing Uniteds championg league qualifier and also Everton v Villareal. last week it had rangers and some cyprus team.

also had an old match on last night. first time i`d seen that. it was holland v ireland in the world cup 82 qualifiers. 2-2 draw in Rotterdam,cracking game it was too.

Junior
15/08/2005, 9:31 AM
£140 also includes C.eltic and Rangers TV as well

thejollyrodger
15/08/2005, 10:13 AM
its €140 a year or €13 a month in Ireland. Pity they dont show any of la liga games. Its quality football. But if they show as many games as sky sports then i reckon its a good deal, plus they have good el coverage and the setanta cup.

Aberdonian Stu
15/08/2005, 10:53 AM
It's very much an event driven channel. Unlike Paramount which gets better ratings but is effectively showing the same repeats continuosly Setanta's repeats are basically a way of filling in the gaps between the events.

Therefore in order to judge it as a channel it should be judged on the quality and relevance of the events to its target audience.

F1: A no-brainer for its audience, very much a Ronseal.

Rugby coverage: French league has the quality but struggles for relevance as even though the standard is good the question remains over level of interest. They generally show the most relevant matches though. Celtic league, quality is variable but relevance is high. The real question is keeping the interest of the target market with such inconsistent quality of play.

Football: EL - targets well, Unmentionable - ditto, EPL - Last year did a good job considering the package available but the package isn't great, Serie A - reportedly improving this year but varied last year from the best game to the worst game some weeks, Bundesliga - has serious potential, Championnat - ditto.

Réiteoir
15/08/2005, 11:07 AM
I've got it over here in the UK (we get Setanta Sports Ireland as part of the package now).

Apart from the eL (which is the one main reason I subbed to it in the first place) - the GAA coverage is good as is the Bundesliga and French Championship.

The only things we don't get in the UK are the F1, the golf and the Premiership.

Well worth the monthly fee imo

superfrank
15/08/2005, 1:06 PM
I have it as part of the ntl cable dealie, no fancy satelites for me! I think it's well worth the money. I always watch the Bundesliga, Serie A and Ligue Une shows. And I sometimes watch the SPL and EPL matches too. So it gives me a bigger outlet to watch European football when I don't have Sky.