PDA

View Full Version : Childhood memories: music

Gerrit
14/08/2005, 6:33 PM
Which songs do you remember from your childhood and teenage years that can bring you into a melancholic mood? You know, the sort of songs an adult is not supposed to like, but that still touch you somehow because of the attached memories...

I was a teenager during the nineties, and even though I am heavily into eighties music ever since reaching adultery (oops, I mean adulthood :D ) I still have to secretly admit liking these ones:

ACE OF BASE - The whole "Flowers" album always takes me back to my holiday in Spain. I broke my knee cap there and couldn't walk for a week, so it was a crap holiday, but somehow I still have nice memories of the car drives along the costa's with Ace of Base playing all the time (it was the only record I took with me :p )

ARMY OF LOVERS - Okay, I know this is deeply embarrassing, but I used to like them very much when I was like 12 years old... "Israelism", "Crucified", "Obsession" (my favourite of theirs) still bring back memories of the worryless old days... You can still watch the videos on this fansite: www.armyoflovers.info

GALA : I still think "Let a boy cry" is one of the best dance songs of the last decennium. One of the only dance songs with mature lyrical content. I grew out of dance music as soon as puberty reached its final stage, but I still like this one song.

Neish
14/08/2005, 8:04 PM
My fav song whem i was a kid(3 or 4 years old) was I Just Called To Say I Love You-Stevie Wonder.

1st song I really remember hearing was Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana was 11 or 12 when it came out I heard it on the radio. Bought Nevermind shortly after that

hamish
15/08/2005, 5:25 AM
The earliest song I can remember is "How much is that doggy in the window?" :o :D

Y'know, the one with the waggily tail. :D

superfrank
15/08/2005, 1:44 PM
I'm still in school but a song that, as Gerrit said, put's me in a melancholy mood is "The Man Who Sold The World" by Nirvana. My older brother was mad into them and I was like six when Cobain died but that was my favourite song by them.

Gives my a few goosebumps thinking that it was twelve years since the Nirvana Unplugged concert and it's even harder to believ it's eleven years since he died....ah Gerrit look what you've started!

hamish
15/08/2005, 2:09 PM
I was like six when Cobain died

:eek: :eek:

Jesus, I'm getting out of Footie - at my age, feels like being in a kindergarden.
No offence superfrank. :D

superfrank
15/08/2005, 2:16 PM
Then who would we have to enlighten us with their tales of wisdom and hilarious experiences. Stay sir hamish!

In the words of Marvin Gaye: Baby please stay. Don't go away.

Ehh, don't read too much into that though.

hamish
15/08/2005, 2:21 PM
Then who would we have to enlighten us with their tales of wisdom and hilarious experiences. Stay sir hamish!

In the words of Marvin Gaye: Baby please stay. Don't go away.

Ehh, don't read too much into that though.

Of that you can be sure, superfrances :D

BTW wisdom, enlighten and hilarious do not belong in the same line as Hamish - even with a :rolleyes: attached. :D

The second song I remember as a young kid is "Rock around the clock by Bill Haley and The Comets. My sister tells me that I used to rock the pram in delight when it came on the radio. LOL :D

EDIT - couldn't understand why a pile of ***** came up for clock. Take me to leave the L out. :o

superfrank
15/08/2005, 2:23 PM
Rock around the what? :eek: Did you say clock or ****?

hamish
15/08/2005, 2:25 PM
Rock around the what? :eek: Did you say clock or ****?

:o Just edited that post.

What was that you mentioned about wisdom and enlightenment, superfrances? :D

superfrank
15/08/2005, 2:36 PM
You must've had other things on your mind, lady hamish. ;)

Anything you can do, I can....

gustavo
15/08/2005, 2:40 PM
i remember there was a cd out maybe about a year or two ago that had all these songs that i liked when i was 11 , 12 and i was seriously thinking of getting it but didnt in the end , had all 2 unlimited and snap culture beat etc etc anyway i didnt get it cos i realised i would probably listen to them all once and never again , this is the link by the way!
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?source=676&page=title&r=CDJ&Cur=257&title=109214

ken foree
15/08/2005, 2:43 PM
driving to kerry as a kid, listening to the eagles and beach boys the old man was playing. they were among the earliest memories. the chlorine sound of the b. boys, i was the perfect age for that sun music. eagles made an impression but not as much as the former. then what else was he playing, planxty and stockton's wing, boil the breakfast early by the chieftans. abba too, from the mother maybe. beatles records were there at home but not played a lot

hamish
15/08/2005, 3:10 PM
You must've had other things on your mind, lady hamish. ;)

Anything you can do, I can....

Yeah breakfast :o

Please no oral jokes about that, superfrank

Another memory - Fats Domino's big hit, "Josephine" with the brilliant "Natural Born Lover" on the B-side. Just ordered them again from a rarities records seller.
Domino? That was 1960 and I was 6 years old. :D

Ruairi
15/08/2005, 3:25 PM
the first album i can remember owning is Paul Simon's "Graceland", when i was 6.. an odd choice for a 6 year old i know.. but every time i listen to it now it brings me back to listening to it onmy headphones before i went to sleep...

another song which has just sprung into my head now is that song that was out for the world cup back in 1990.. i think it was sold in pennys, and went along the lines of

"we're gonna shout out loud we're gonna show we're proud HEY!!! we're the team that jack built.. and when we start to play you're going to hear us say HEY! we're the team that jack built.

The team that jack built, we'll all agree, we're going down in history
The team that jack built, we'll all agree, we're on our way to italy"

and then there was a rap kinda bit where they were shouting

"we dont care, who'll be there, rudi gullit maradonna!!!"

anyone else remember that?

gustavo
15/08/2005, 3:45 PM
i know it was from an ad but i remember the song from an esb ad, would have been mid to late eighties i think it was about this young guy coming home from college and his mother going to pick him up and the journey they had , anyway the song was going back by dusty springfield really haunting song imo and shows how good the ad was that i still remember it nearly 20 years on.

Gerrit
15/08/2005, 9:00 PM
Going back some further into my childhood. When I was 4 years old I was a heavy Boy George fan :eek: I couldn't get enough of "Karma chameleon" :p Looking at the make-up in my bag though, I'm not sure if Boy George was such a good influence ;)

The the first single I bought myself as at age 9... Erasure *shame shame* doing an EP with 4 Abba covers... I also remember Enigma from that era, and some English dj called Guru Josh. Enigma was not that bad even, my first signs of good taste :)

Gerrit
15/08/2005, 9:08 PM
The earliest song I can remember is "How much is that doggy in the window?" :o :D

Y'know, the one with the waggily tail. :D

Ah yeah, that was a cute one :D

strangeirish
15/08/2005, 9:11 PM
Showing age here, but, Showaddywaddy? :eek: 'Under the moon of love' and Mungo Jerry 'In the summertime'

Metrostars
16/08/2005, 2:46 AM
There two records that stick out in my mind. First off, I used to spend a couple of weeks every summer at my uncles farm and sure enough he had a record player. The only record of his I liked was the Beatles' Yellow Submarine. Played it over and over. Must have been only about 5 at the time (mid 70s).

The other was called "Cross your heart" or something like that by "Tina", it was Ireland's Eurovision entry around 1973-4, watched the National Song contest and I guess she was my first infatuation at the ripe old age of 5. Made my mother buy the record and I was gutted and crying when she didnt win the Eurovision and Abba won that year.
I tell ya,she was robbed.

Gareth
22/08/2005, 1:26 PM
Been a while since I posted, but music that makes the awl brian cogs reverse back to days of yore......

In the Army now - Status Quo
China in your hand - T'pau (I know, I know)
and when I was very small,
The oldest swinger in town and Help by the Beatles.

Troy.McClure
22/08/2005, 9:06 PM
I had Bosco's album :cool:

Partizan
22/08/2005, 9:14 PM
Howard Jones - New Song, summer '83 and that fabulous concert that he did in the Butler Community Hall in Waterford..........still talked about.

NJTom
22/08/2005, 11:28 PM
Driving from Dublin to Connemara sometime in the early 1970's (I don't remember the year) and hearing De Danann's version of the Beatles Hey Jude on the radio at least three times during the journey.

CollegeTillIDie
26/08/2005, 12:12 AM
First actual childhood musical memory was hearing Scott and the rest of Walker Brothers doing " The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore" , on the radio when we were living in Canada around the age of 4 or 5, which is to this day my all time favourite record.

My mother used to tell me that I got excited in the playpen when I was 18 months old by The Beatles and " She Loves You" don't remember that myself.

Slash/ED
26/08/2005, 12:14 AM
"The Man Who Sold The World"

Love that song. Despite being a huge Bowie fan I have to admit, the Nirvana one is best.

CollegeTillIDie
26/08/2005, 12:19 AM
Love that song. Despite being a huge Bowie fan I have to admit, the Nirvana one is best.

I actually like Lulu's version of that song. David Bowie plays Sax on it and produced it.

CollegeTillIDie
26/08/2005, 12:27 AM
Been a while since I posted, but music that makes the awl brian cogs reverse back to days of yore......

1/In the Army now - Status Quo
2/China in your hand - T'pau (I know, I know)
and when I was very small,
3/The oldest swinger in town and
4/Help by the Beatles.

Ok Gerrit..

Track 1/ Was written by Rob and Fredi Bolland who were Dutch. They also had a version of the song out ( predates Quo's). They went on to produce records for other artists including... Rock Me Amadeus for Falco.

2/ Heart and Soul by them is a better song.

3/ Fred Wedlock a one hit wonder

4/ Well most of us have a fab 4 memory or other. I have both Rutles Albums on CD for example. :p

Slash/ED
26/08/2005, 12:29 AM
I actually like Lulu's version of that song. David Bowie plays Sax on it and produced it.

I have it. I agree it's excellent, but like a completley different song to the Nirvana/Bowie one. You can't compare it really.

Gerrit
27/08/2005, 4:49 PM
I grew up with the Beatles as well, as my dad is a big fan and played it very often. The only weird thing is, I never liked it. Never got me excited. I still don't get why so many people adore the Beatles... I then ended up adoring a Liverpudlian band in the end, but not the Beatles! Not bad music, but it just doesn't move me.

My first humiliating musical memory was when I wanted to buy "Sadeness part I" from Enigma. I went to a record store for the first time but walked out as the priest on the front cover of the record looked scary :eek: I know, shameful that is, but I was a young kid... So because of that scary priest my first record bought myself ended up being a different one: "Abba-esque" by Erasure :eek:

CollegeTillIDie
27/08/2005, 6:52 PM
I grew up with the Beatles as well, as my dad is a big fan and played it very often. The only weird thing is, I never liked it. Never got me excited. I still don't get why so many people adore the Beatles... I then ended up adoring a Liverpudlian band in the end, but not the Beatles! Not bad music, but it just doesn't move me.

My first humiliating musical memory was when I wanted to buy "Sadeness part I" from Enigma. I went to a record store for the first time but walked out as the priest on the front cover of the record looked scary :eek: I know, shameful that is, but I was a young kid... So because of that scary priest my first record bought myself ended up being a different one: "Abba-esque" by Erasure :eek:

That Engima record started a whole new genre of music. Nothing to be ashamed of. Some people thing Michael Cretu is a musical innovator.

sylvo
27/08/2005, 8:03 PM
Musical youth, pass da dutchy, I think they all ended up either in jail or dead after a gang war,

Big Tom, Four country roads. Had that playing in the car for three weeks morning noon and fe*king night while over on Holiday about 24 years ago.

Brenden Shine, Catch me if you can me name is Dan sure i'm yer man, pretty much also had too listen to that morning, noon and night.

Green Door, Shakin' Stevens, man was a superstar, nuff said. Even inspired me to have a green door on my house.

CollegeTillIDie
28/08/2005, 8:47 AM
Musical youth, pass da dutchy, I think they all ended up either in jail or dead after a gang war,

Big Tom, Four country roads. Had that playing in the car for three weeks morning noon and fe*king night while over on Holiday about 24 years ago.

Brenden Shine, Catch me if you can me name is Dan sure i'm yer man, pretty much also had too listen to that morning, noon and night.

Green Door, Shakin' Stevens, man was a superstar, nuff said. Even inspired me to have a green door on my house.

MUsical Youth... Dennis come back with my apple pie... he ended up in jail for theft :D

Good God you have raked up some bad memories there!

Do You Want Your Old Lobby Washed Down ?...

And Gloria and the Mississippi 's " One Day At A Time" sweet Jesus that thing was number 1 in the Irish Charts for almost a year :eek:

Anto McC
28/08/2005, 11:01 AM
I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra and the likes with my Da and i still listen to them now and again,i like that type of music and film.
I grew up listening to Abba mainly with my Ma and i hate Abba and anytype of Disco music.
With my brothers,i grew up listening to Bob Marley and early 90's Rap music which i both still listen to.
The music which predominantly interests me,which is Classic Rock,Nobody in my house or family listened to or even liked

Gareth
29/08/2005, 1:55 PM
Ok Gerrit..

Track 1/ Was written by Rob and Fredi Bolland who were Dutch. They also had a version of the song out ( predates Quo's). They went on to produce records for other artists including... Rock Me Amadeus for Falco.

2/ Heart and Soul by them is a better song.

3/ Fred Wedlock a one hit wonder

4/ Well most of us have a fab 4 memory or other. I have both Rutles Albums on CD for example. :p

Firstly thank you for taking apart my memories....and secondly its Gareth not Gerrit.

CollegeTillIDie
30/08/2005, 8:12 AM
Firstly thank you for taking apart my memories....and secondly its Gareth not Gerrit.

Gareth

Ok getting your name wrong was the only error in my posting however

OwlsFan
21/04/2016, 2:23 PM
I Fought the Law by The Bobby Fuller Four: I remember it because my older brother had a gang called the Law who used to rule us younger guys.

the 12 th man
21/04/2016, 6:49 PM
This thread like an episode of "Dr Who"....

Eminence Grise
26/04/2016, 11:04 PM
Ah, but it's one that deserved to be resurrected.

I grew up in Roscommon in the 80s, so I was exposed to One Day at a Time, The Rose of Castlerea, Four Roads to Glenamaddy - Gloria, Brendan Shine and Big Tom seemed to be the permanent soundtrack in my two uncles' Renault 4s... At home, it was Bob Marley - lots and lots of Bob Marley. Mum grew up in Manchester's Moss Side and most of her friends were Jamaican, so reggae was her big thing that I got into as well.

Buuut, my songs that always bring me back to somewhere warm and fuzzy... The Sawdoctors Red Cortina, The Stunning's Half Past Two, the Bay City Rollers... When I was around 9 or 10, I had a K-Tel compilation album on permanent play, with this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cdFuMgMkBM) possibly explaining why I was particularly uncool for about the next 15 years!

tetsujin1979
17/10/2016, 1:45 PM
Left of the dial, an excellent documentary on TXFM on the golden age of late night radio in Ireland: http://www.txfm.ie/LISTEN-BACK:-The-AwardWinning-Left-of-the-Dial-Documentary-

stann
17/10/2016, 2:58 PM
These ones, in particular, still always bring me back to those impossibly long hot summers of the late '70s in Tramore when they would boom out onto the street from Freddie's amusement arcade's PA on a frequent (but not enough to be annoying) basis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wGUvlez000

stann
17/10/2016, 3:04 PM
And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiDRu8WLvfM

stann
17/10/2016, 3:05 PM
And especially

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjYgLIicqus

BonnieShels
18/10/2016, 11:56 PM
Loads and loads and loads of songs will fill this page from me in the coming days [never knew the thread was here] and inadvertently and independent of this thread this belter came back into my consciousness...

Love this song still to this day. Still makes me smile and the video is just wonderful. Hard to believe it was a B-Side for "Seven Days in the Sun". My late-teens were better for Feeder and my abiding memory of Slane 2003 is singing this to the top of my voice with a mate:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wzqGI_4fIM

tetsujin1979
19/10/2016, 3:29 PM
I was at 2003 as well, and had been at the first U2 gig in 2001. I didn't go to Slane again until the clusterfcuk in 2009, and haven't been back since

TheBoss
19/10/2016, 6:08 PM
Always sends me back in time...

hcqNRaQRUog

BonnieShels
20/10/2016, 2:25 AM
I was at 2003 as well, and had been at the first U2 gig in 2001. I didn't go to Slane again until the clusterfcuk in 2009, and haven't been back since

When you see the lineup for 2003 and given I was a huge Foos fan at the time and QOTSA are probably my favourite band "Just a Day" was the highlight!

I've never been back. Those days are gone.