PDA

View Full Version : Sligo Rovers 1-1 Limerick

sligoman
13/08/2005, 10:27 PM
Now I know how Limerick fans felt the when we played them in Hogan Park. We were robbed tonight:mad:. Limerick deserved nothing from the game. Everything was going well for us until the ref added 4 minutes on at the end. Now, for once, I am not going to criticise the ref because he had a very good game and I would like to see him back at the Showgrounds in the future but there was no way that 4 minutes should have been added on. Also fair play to the massive crowd down from Limerick:rolleyes: :D. That Donnelan fella that was sent off, definetely has to be banned for a few games after knocking the red card out of the ref's hand:mad:. I am very pleased with tonight's performance but once again we just managed to score one goal, this is very disappointing considering the strikers we have. Cobh lost tonight, so hopefully this will start a run of poor form for them and we can beat them next week. If we play like we did tonight then I think we can and will win it. Faz and O'Grady were star players tonight and once again Rossiter cost us the match :mad: . Why does that man not tackle?

The Stars
13/08/2005, 10:33 PM
Foley had a good game aswell,but as we said before silly tackles and Ian Rossiter cost us 3 points.
How could sean start Rossiter and leave Raf on the bench...Hopefully ians terrible preformance tonight will be the final straw.

The Stars
13/08/2005, 10:42 PM
Last night? :confused:
is that better now.......

Shiba
14/08/2005, 10:42 AM
I dont Know how Ye reckon Rossitor cost Us the game.He done everything you ask of a defender in that situation and clearly won the ball I was sitting directly in line with the incident and in no way was it a free.Even if Rossi did give away the free who was suppose to be marking the player who scored on the back post I don't think Rossi was there.The ref had an improved game on Duddy but I thought he was very selective in some of his free kicks awards.Blew McT for turning a player,our players could not challenge for a ball in the air at all.Our biggest problem is that we are not taken the chance we are creating,so I think we have to start looking at where we start getting goals from other than Mc T,our midfield need to be more aggressive in winning keeping and passing the ball for 90mins and not just in spellsLets just hope Galway can do us a favour!

redman
14/08/2005, 11:12 AM
A very disappointing result more due to the timing of the equiliser. I was surprised at the poor quality of Limerick as a whole they offered nothing and still got an away point.

I cannot remember a more boring game especially in the first 45 mins. I am convinced there must have been an all time world record broken for the number of throw ins on the far side.

I must also question some of the decisions made by Sean Connor. How could he leave one of our best players on the bench for so long. I am of course referring to Raf. In my opinion McCann did not do the business and should have been substituted. He does not get down the wing and get any decent crosses into our front men and like on previous occasions Connor seems to be tinkering and upsetting the team in order to accomodate a position for him.

I thought O'Grady and Foley were excellent and played with passion and got stuck in. I thought Rossi was unfortunate to have a free awarded against him leading to the equaliser but he should have enough experience in those type of situations at this stage.

nephin
14/08/2005, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't really blame Rossi for giving away the free kick. It seemed a harsh free kick but these things happen. It was a simple lack of oncentration that cost us the win. Marking was terrible.
Our set pieces particulary from corners is awful. We cannot get the ball over the first man and I think this has to be worked on more.
O'Grady and Faz were brilliant and a great finish from McT. In fairness to McCann he is a left back and not a midfielder. Why was Raf droped? A bad decision from Sean I feel.
Its a set back but it would be a lot worst had we lost.

sligoman
14/08/2005, 12:17 PM
A late, late Conor Molan strike denied Sligo Rovers a chance to move to top of the Division One table as 10 man Limerick snatched a draw at the Show Grounds.

Rovers looked set for victory as they led 1-0 with time up. However Molan struck three minutes into stoppage time to break Rovers hearts. There had been far less drama in a scoreless first half were Sligo dominated possession.

However the visitors upped the pace after the break and went close through Kupono Low and Conor O’Grady. They eventually took the lead on the hour mark when Paul McTiernen finished neatly inside the box.

Hopes of a Limerick fight back were dented when Brian Donnellan was dismissed for a foul on O’Grady with four minutes remaining. However Molan’s injury time header stole City a point on virtually their first attack.

sligoman
14/08/2005, 12:20 PM
I dont Know how Ye reckon Rossitor cost Us the game.He done everything you ask of a defender in that situationCan you answer my question though? Why does that man not tackle? Every time a Limerick player came up to him with the ball he backed up and backed up until the Lim player took it round him. Raf should of been playing in that position, it's as simple as that!

sadloserkid
14/08/2005, 12:56 PM
Rossiter was excellent for you lot last night. He had Brian Donnellan in his pocket for 90 mins. Get over the fact that he wanted to play in the Premier for crying out loud lads. Even if was with Harps.

We deserved nothing from the game but given Ciarán Foley's display of 'How to elbow, kick and throttle' everything in sight until he was pulled off I feel perfectly justified in stealing a point.

sligoman
14/08/2005, 1:17 PM
Get over the fact that he wanted to play in the Premier for crying out loud lads. Even if was with Harps.The fact that he played for Harps doesn't bother me in the slightest, what bothers me is that he is playing terrible since he came back. Fair enough, last night was probably his best performance since he came back but it was still very poor

Red4Eva
14/08/2005, 2:44 PM
for once we got a decent display of refereeing in the showgounds but i dunno bout 4mins!! played pretty well apart from the dullest 1st half in a long time. taut o'grady was unbelievable great goal from mct&another good performance, he'll be missed in cobh. i could never make a case for not playin a fit raf.

Rovers1
14/08/2005, 2:50 PM
i dont think we deserved to win,Rovers werent great at all,Limerick are another hit and hope team,although second half they deserved their goal.
As for Ian Rossiter,only made 1 decent tackle in the whole game,he is very very overated,not sharp enough,doesnt know how to defend set pieces,walks away from his marker when defending

John O Donnell was there too,seemed to be taking more notes on Lims than Rovers :confused:

Shiba
14/08/2005, 2:59 PM
I can only image what Sligoman would saying bout Rossitor if he dived in to every tackle!I remember certain comments been made bout us losind Rafs ability to take the forward he was playing in Ian position.

sligoman
14/08/2005, 5:07 PM
I can only image what Sligoman would saying bout Rossitor if he dived in to every tackle!I remember certain comments been made bout us losind Rafs ability to take the forward he was playing in Ian position.Shiba, I'm not the only one here that is against Rossiter. Rossi was one of my favourite players til he moved clubs and I'm glad to see him back but I dont want him playing if he risks our chances of promotion

redrov2005
14/08/2005, 6:50 PM
Well Well Galway did us a favour by beating Dublin City. Now we really could do with a win in Cobh just to get things going again. BTW What's the story with Conal Murtagh ? Not even on the bench last night. Is he injured or what ?

gustavo
14/08/2005, 7:22 PM
i presume he must have been redrov cos surely he isnt below ciaran foley in the pecking order !

gustavo
14/08/2005, 7:25 PM
The fact that he played for Harps doesn't bother me in the slightest, what bothers me is that he is playing terrible since he came back. Fair enough, last night was probably his best performance since he came back but it was still very poor

well ive only seen him play once against dundalk and he wasnt terrible . he was competent , i can see why the harps lads gave him his nickname !
my only problem is that he seems to be taking a team place off raf who would be first on my teamsheet.

1 9 2 8
14/08/2005, 7:53 PM
I think Rossiter isn't fit to wear our shirt he cost us two points against Limerick and god knows how many more he will cost us until the end of the season

Petmuller
14/08/2005, 8:07 PM
Left the showgrounds last night utterly disgusted. Many things went through my mind and there's only one answer to all my questions. I have questioned Sean's tactics here on a few occasions and have been ridiculed for doing so. After the away game in Dublin I asked the question regarding us defending set pieces and as to how many goals we have conceeded this season through dead ball situations. We don't seem to be able to deal with the simple aspects of the beautiful game. Again last night both our full backs went AWOL for the set piece. No one took up position at either post, this is not the first time this has happened and I'm left wondering do our coaching staff even bother watch the video of the games in order to learn from our mistakes. After last night I'm convinced the answer to that one is obviously not.
A number of weeks ago an article in our match program discussed the lack of our side being able to kill off the opposition when we are a single goal in front. Last night was a class example of us not being able to kill off the opposition and we were delt the hammer blow for our inability to do so. That very same article our manager took exception to and it hasn't gone unnoticed that Sean hasn't put pen to paper in the program since. So in the mean time while Sean sulks the team continue to prove the author of that said article to be correct.
The worrying aspect of all this is that the season is into the second half and we don't seem to have learned anything from our mistakes of the first. We'll not get it right all of the time but when we get it wrong we must learn from the mistakes and refrain from making the same one again. Players not taking their positions for set pieces and continueing to do so is very worrying. If we can't get the simple things right what hope is there.
This weekend the results once more have gone for us when our own result didn't. I don't think it would be very wise to expect this to continue. Last night is was shear heart break to loose the lead so late in the game. Simply there's no excuse. We threw away two points and if we continue to do so then it's hello first division for another season at least.

The Stars
14/08/2005, 8:41 PM
Well said Petmuller....Im begining to question Sean's team selection....He has Raf on the bench(our best player) and the excellent Conal Murtagh sitting in the stands in his best dressed....I dont know what it is but something isnt right at the moment in his head...

roversforever
14/08/2005, 9:00 PM
tim mcCann is an average player,a good squad player but not one that will make a huge difference.as a left winger kusten is better than him.but why didn't sean just leave tim on the bench,leave faz on the left anf raf on the right.murtagh is class and should be starting.im not a rossi fan but to be fair i thought he did ok last night.he didn't cost us the points either.the ref got the free kick decision wrong but he was quite good and we have only ourselves to blame for the dropped points.does anybody know how bad mct's injury is?

p.s thought the drum players were very good for a while but then the noise died down badly.

Red4Eva
15/08/2005, 12:08 PM
i have to agree with sc about evrything he said regarding the programme notes. every 2nd wk i got a good laff outta sum of da stuff that was written regarding the national team as well.

Heinze
15/08/2005, 12:37 PM
Murtagh may or may not be taking up a college place in Manchester, I reckon this is why he was not selected!

sligoman
15/08/2005, 12:53 PM
Murtagh may or may not be taking up a college place in Manchester, I reckon this is why he was not selected!If this is true then thats bad news for us :(

Lim till i die
15/08/2005, 2:37 PM
Lads I know with a late, late equaliser ye probably have the right to feel robbed but ye are a lot poorer than ye think. You offered precious little going forward and were easily contained for the majority of the game by our not too stellar back line. Your tactic of the wingers dragging the full backs in to allow space for the inevitable cross becomes painfully obvious after awhile and as an attacking force Sligo are IMO very limited. In hindsight I was very happy with our performance. Sure, we got lucky at the end but we went up there went a plan to contain ye and for the most part we managed it. Easily.

Also I thought Rossiter was superb, one of the best full backs I've seen all year. As for that sub-human piece of dirt Foley ye can keep him, it's only a matter of time before an opposing player/fan/team bus lands him in an emergency room

The Stars
15/08/2005, 2:46 PM
Also I thought Rossiter was superb, one of the best full backs I've seen all year.
Ye can have him....he is useless,even one of our coaches thinks so

redman
15/08/2005, 5:43 PM
On 2 occasions people near me in the stand shouted at Sean Connor to make a substitution i.e. to take McCann off. I would have to say that I agreed with this observation but I was amazed at Sean's reaction. He turned his back on the game on both occasions and stared up in the direction of the crowd for a good 15 seconds and if looks could kill!!!!!!!!

I understand that a manager should defend his players but surely he should not so openly display his displeasure with the fans in such a way. I should emphasis that this was not abuse that was being directed at McCann nor at Sean but mere observation on behalf of a number of fans.

Anyway I had the distinct impression (rightly or wrongly) after seeing his reaction that no way would McCann be substituted even if the game went on for a week!!!!!!!!

Shiba
15/08/2005, 6:01 PM
I think Rossiter isn't fit to wear our shirt he cost us two points against Limerick and god knows how many more he will cost us until the end of the season

Again Rossi taken the blame ,I just dont know but there was 10 other players who were on the pitch to defend that freekick.I think theirs minds were all ready in the dressing rooms as like a few weeks ago when they thoughts we,re "We are running away with the league".1928 will get over who is fit to wear the Jersey or not,He be a hero if scores the goal that puts us up and kisses the crest.

Shiba
15/08/2005, 6:14 PM
Shiba, I'm not the only one here that is against Rossiter. Rossi was one of my favourite players til he moved clubs and I'm glad to see him back but I dont want him playing if he risks our chances of promotion

If you really think that Rossi is the one who gonna cost a chance of promotion,I honestly think your going in the wrong direction.Don't get me wrong,I'm not a big fan of Rossi but he always puts in a big effort.At the start of the season it was Flannery at the end of all trhe stick and wasn't good enough to be playing for Us,At the game the other night O'Grady was told he was not good enough for u16 level never mind this level.It is not the players who are picking themselves for the team but "the Manager".So if your looking for people to point the finger at and for costing Us points,I don't think have to look much further than "The Managers" team Selection.

The Stars
15/08/2005, 6:15 PM
He be a hero if scores the goal that puts us up and kisses the crest.
Like he kissed the crest when harps got up......scum

red metal
15/08/2005, 6:25 PM
I dont Know how Ye reckon Rossitor cost Us the game.He done everything you ask of a defender in that situation and clearly won the ball I was sitting directly in line with the incident and in no way was it a free.Even if Rossi did give away the free who was suppose to be marking the player who scored on the back post I don't think Rossi was there.The ref had an improved game on Duddy but I thought he was very selective in some of his free kicks awards.Blew McT for turning a player,our players could not challenge for a ball in the air at all.Our biggest problem is that we are not taken the chance we are creating,so I think we have to start looking at where we start getting goals from other than Mc T,our midfield need to be more aggressive in winning keeping and passing the ball for 90mins and not just in spellsLets just hope Galway can do us a favour! I sit right beside shiba and rossi did,nt give yer man a sniff all night thats why he was sent off soild fustration!it was never a free kick but thats football!if we got it there would,nt be a word about it!It was brown who was ment to pick up the we man who scored!And i here there was wild craic in the dressing room after!

The Stars
15/08/2005, 6:28 PM
Why what happened in the dressing room?

Shiba
15/08/2005, 6:35 PM

We'll see at the end of the season............................

Shiba
15/08/2005, 6:41 PM

A lot of players have passed between the two clubs over the years who have done lot for this club e.g Gavin Dykes(cup winning captain) Tony Fagan (Cup winning Captain and also In side that won the league) if I,m not mistaken Paul Mc Gee.So what are your veiws on these people! Get Over It

The Stars
15/08/2005, 6:51 PM
A lot of players have passed between the two clubs over the years who have done lot for this club e.g Gavin Dykes(cup winning captain) Tony Fagan (Cup winning Captain and also In side that won the league) if I,m not mistaken Paul Mc Gee.So what are your veiws on these people! Get Over It
They did indeed,but i cant ever recall them kissing the Harps crest and saying that i was his dream to win the league with harps,like Rossiter did on national television...can you.
Also,how can you talk about Dykes,Fagan,Ski(all legends) and Rossiter in the same paragraph....

gael353
15/08/2005, 7:40 PM
As for that sub-human piece of dirt Foley ye can keep him, it's only a matter of time before an opposing player/fan/team bus lands him in an emergency room

so so true but guess what club he'll be playing for next season? :rolleyes: and hes shockingly bad. Sligo are only rubbing their hands at his ridding....

Shiba
15/08/2005, 8:21 PM
They did indeed,but i cant ever recall them kissing the Harps crest and saying that i was his dream to win the league with harps,like Rossiter did on national television...can you.
Also,how can you talk about Dykes,Fagan,Ski(all legends) and Rossiter in the same paragraph....

They might all be legends but have all gone to the club that s hated.As for kissing the crest,Can anyone say for Definite they never done it there was as much coverage back them to report these crimes?I sure Gavin when winning with Derry made comments,done things in that Uphoria of it all!GEt over it!

Red4Eva
16/08/2005, 10:46 AM
i think kissing the harps crest was a stupid thing to do so early in his harps career but evry1 is using rossi as a scapegoat. he wasn't that bad&i have to say i'm glad he's back cos it's better than wasting raf

kkontour
16/08/2005, 11:30 AM
Ian Ros was good going forward but still lacks in defence. Admitted, it was one of his better games but he does forget to watch his man who does get in behind him. As for the free kick I did think he put his hand on the lims guys back, who took full advantage. Soft free kick, but he should not have given the ref an excuse to award it.

madjack
16/08/2005, 1:19 PM
anyone else react with trepidation when he took off proven goalscorer and brought on a defender with 10 mins to go? Like lets invite Limerick to come at us, why dont we. Sitting on a 1 goal lead is foolish unless youre Chelsea, and we certainly ain't...

roversforever
16/08/2005, 10:51 PM
anyone else react with trepidation when he took off proven goalscorer and brought on a defender with 10 mins to go? Like lets invite Limerick to come at us, why dont we. Sitting on a 1 goal lead is foolish unless youre Chelsea, and we certainly ain't...
hang on a minute,he didn't get that one wrong.mct was injured so he had to come off.raf has played up front before so putting him there and bringing on gerry carr wasn't a problem.the other players on the bench were banana and jay mccartney.banana was hardley going to come on and jay wouldn't have been much good to us at that stage of the game coz he doesn't give us much defensively and they were always going to come at us for the last 10mins.if sean got it wrong tell me what you would have done?