PDA

View Full Version : UCD 0-0 Longford Town

pineapple stu
13/08/2005, 2:08 AM
The third instalment of the "Battle of the Fanzines" ended in UCD restoring some pride after last week's 24-0 drubbing by Dublin City and keeping up their unbeaten record against De Town.

The match was again played at half-time in the senior game, although the game was played cross pitch this time rather than box to box. UCD loaned Longford a player to bring the sides to 7-a-side, which resulted in a game which was a bit more congested and lacking in clear cut chances than previous encounters. Attempts to panic some of the newer Longford players by pointing out the crowd of a few hundred who would be watching were scuppered when a Town player pointed out he'd played in front of 10000 in a county final once.

UCD were given a boost shortly before kick-off when Harpo turned out to be changing in the shack and not in Croatia as had been previously thought. Longford, meanwhile, were without the two Stapletons, Marty and Pauro, after failing to duck out of their brother's pre-wedding ****-up.

Longford largely dominated the game and probably would have won had it not been for the fine form of Pineapple Stu in nets and the fact that the UCD goal looked a good yard narrower than the Longford one. Massop did get free from Aberdonian Stu's attentions (read: kicks) once, but Pineapple Stu was out quick to deny him, while PS was also dominant in the air for once, punching clear once and claiming a long throw! :eek: The famed massive defence, which had been slightly broken up by Bald Student's defection, was far more solid on the smaller pitch as well. However, my lower leg has now got a nice swelling on it from where Massop fell on me at one stage...

At the other end, UCD hardly got a decent shot away at goal, despite Bald Student spending the last two minutes in goals for Longford calling for a backpass so he could score the winner for UCD. The two senior teams' subs saw the funny side of the game too, with Brian Gannon being encouraged to play by a fellow sub only to reply that he probably wouldn't get a game with us.

In the end though, not a classic, but still good craic. A re-match is being sought in Flancare during the FAI Cup match in two weeks time - can Longford finally break their duck?!

el tk
13/08/2005, 9:11 AM
Worst.Match.Ever. I'd go so far as to say that it was the worst match that pitch had ever seen, closely followed by the actual eL match.

pineapple stu
13/08/2005, 3:28 PM
Worst.Match.Ever. I'd go so far as to say that it was the worst match that pitch had ever seen, closely followed by the actual eL match.
:p

Far too cramped, to be honest. Should have made the pitch bigger.

Unfortunately, I can think of many worse games than last night's though. :( Finn Harps the previous week was one!

Martinho II
13/08/2005, 3:38 PM
sounds like lads that I did not miss out on much. I will have a word with the town secretary and ask him will it be ok if we played on the pitch at halftime, I will ask him as soon as the festivities from my wee bro is over!

cant believe it was 0-0! :(

De Town
13/08/2005, 9:16 PM
terrible game, but pineapple has a future in goals after that performance, held the LTFC attack at bay very comfortably :D

Colie
14/08/2005, 7:20 PM
That was great entertainment. The photographer has that save on camera, maybe he'll post it up. He's a DC fan.

Aberdonian Stu
15/08/2005, 8:50 AM
I thought it was a cracker. A good physical clash.

Might I correct pineapple though, I used my stomach & general frame as opposed to my legs to contain Massop.

Any word on when/where Breifne will put up the photos.

the 12 th man
15/08/2005, 9:26 AM
good performance between the sticks by the UCD keeper.

the narrow pitch though kept some of the players from showing their full pace :rolleyes: :D .

Schumi
15/08/2005, 11:25 AM
A good laugh. Some of the dives from our new striker were quality. :D

Aberdonian Stu
15/08/2005, 12:02 PM
I have to admit the lack of width (the pitch not me) assisted me in marshalling Adrian.

Tactically I think we worked very well, especially considering we lost one of the "Front row" as its known. Obviously we can work on the creative side but we always need work on that.

Generally speaking all the boys read the game very well and I think we can be happy with that aspect of our display. Pineapple's shouts were more coherent and thus more effective than in previous displays, the defensive unit understood each others strengths and weaknesses and adapted accordingly. Midfield was bypassed well. Our attack, while failing to create many opportunities, coped well given the lack of physical strength and brought the defence the relief it needed.

I thought we might have nicked a goal late on, especially given the fact that I suddenly realised I could throw the ball quite far and fairly accurately as well (note must take more throws in future), but we should be pleased with a draw.

I see areas where all of us can improve (obviously including myself, I don't claim to be any great shakes), not all of which rely on improved fitness although that would obviously help.

I will go into further detail in a more private arena than here as I wouldn't want to reveal my tactical insights to Longford.

Anyway lads, be proud of yourselves and look ahead to the big return game.

ltfc_2004
15/08/2005, 12:13 PM
The game was fine if a little rushed at times. No time for killer passes or mazey runs by anyone. I think the crowd enjoyed it. Town were solid at the back although we need a keeper.

next time pitch has to be wider for my silky running skills !!!!!

Also fair play to STIG for the fanzine, pen pics were very funny :D

Pauro 76
15/08/2005, 1:20 PM
seen the pen pics too, hilarious and also true! (me: crap in all positions!)

pineapple stu
15/08/2005, 2:29 PM
For the record, Marty sent along the bits in normal print, but they were too short, so I had to add a little padding, shall we say! Hence the bit in italics! :)