PDA

View Full Version : Italy to bring strong squad

eirebhoy
12/08/2005, 5:55 PM
According to reports I've read. Del Piero is expected to get his first callup in 11 months. The likes of Buffon, Vieri, etc. will also be in the squad. I was expecting a reserve squad mainly because an Italian on this site said they wouldn't be bringing any first teamers but now I'm excited. :)

Italian Schedule:
Sunday - Squad announced.
Monday - team gathers at Coverciano, Lippi press conference, afternoon training session.
Tuesday - morning training session, players press conference, travel to Dublin in late afternoon, evening training session at Lansdowne Stadium, Lippi press conference.
Wednesday - Match.

gustavo
12/08/2005, 8:58 PM
they dont really play a lot of stars these days have a lot of palermo players in it the likes of luca toni etc.
a good starstudded line up though would be
buffon
nesta cannavaro maldini
zambrotta gattuso pirlo camoronesi
totti
vieri cassano

wont happen though obviously !

thejollyrodger
12/08/2005, 9:09 PM
who ever they play we should still win. we put everything into meaningless friendlies.. i hope so see some good football though. i take it TV3 are doing delayed coverage?

Colbert Report
12/08/2005, 11:47 PM
I think we will lose 2 or 3-0. The wheels are starting to come off and I don't think Kerr will be the manager come January.

Cowboy
13/08/2005, 2:12 AM
I think we will lose 2 or 3-0. The wheels are starting to come off and I don't think Kerr will be the manager come January.

What an idiotic post, you may have noticed this is a forum for Ireland fans not ill informed detractors. I 'll bet you were one of the many who predicted we would get hammered by Italy in 94 (if you are old enough) Go sell crazy some place else

gustavo
13/08/2005, 7:08 AM
in fairness to vega he is entitled to his opinion however extremist and wayward it may be!

Plastic Paddy
13/08/2005, 7:09 AM
What an idiotic post, you may have noticed this is a forum for Ireland fans not ill informed detractors. I 'll bet you were one of the many who predicted we would get hammered by Italy in 94 (if you are old enough) Go sell crazy some place else

He's perfectly entitled to those opinions, Cowboy, just as you are to yours. Just because Vega007's glass is half-empty makes his opinions no less valid. It's worth remembering that the next time you post in response.

:ball: PP

thejollyrodger
13/08/2005, 7:18 AM

since when have we ever lost 2-0 or 3-0 at home ?? I cant see it happening... last time it was when Mick was about :p . We had always problems scoring goals but never letting a lot in.

A draw or a win for us. The usual story. Still I would rather see us lplay fringe players - lose but learn something

Superhoops
13/08/2005, 8:20 AM
since when have we ever lost 2-0 or 3-0 at home ?? I cant see it happening... last time it was when Mick was about :p . We had always problems scoring goals but never letting a lot in.

A draw or a win for us. The usual story. Still I would rather see us lplay fringe players - lose but learn something
Last time we lost 0-2 in Dublin was in 1998 to Argentina.
Last time a visiting team scored three goals in Dublin was in 1995, 1-3 to Austria.
Last time we lost by three goals in Dublin was in 1985, 1-4 to Denmark.

tonycuna
13/08/2005, 10:15 AM
I'm sure that we'll get a good result, maybe a draw, but I'm sure the lads will put everything to get a win. We'll not lose against azzurri. I'll can go wrong, but at the moment, I'm sure about that :)

eirebhoy
13/08/2005, 12:50 PM
We have to play full strength. There's no need to experiment at this stage in the campaign.

Cowboy
13/08/2005, 12:59 PM
He's perfectly entitled to those opinions, Cowboy, just as you are to yours. Just because Vega007's glass is half-empty makes his opinions no less valid. It's worth remembering that the next time you post in response.

:ball: PP

Then he should be clear about his position IE a supporter or not? Supporters support they dont knock their own team with disparaging remarks especially with little or no evidence to back it up. I'm sorry you felt you had reason to comment on my post but i'm a passionate Ireland supporter and will apologise to no one for that.

Cowboy
13/08/2005, 1:02 PM
in fairness to vega he is entitled to his opinion however extremist and wayward it may be!

Of course he is as I'm entitled to defend my team with equal force.

thejollyrodger
13/08/2005, 1:14 PM
Last time we lost 0-2 in Dublin was in 1998 to Argentina.
Last time a visiting team scored three goals in Dublin was in 1995, 1-3 to Austria.
Last time we lost by three goals in Dublin was in 1985, 1-4 to Denmark.

There you go, 7 years ago. that quite a while. I cant see us losing against italy, a draw is probably the likey outcome.

I suppose it is too close to the France game so Kerr wont try anything new bar replacing people to cover injuries.

sligoman
13/08/2005, 1:18 PM
I can see it been a dull 0-0 draw :(, but I'm still going though :)

-Bray-
13/08/2005, 8:25 PM
Luca Toni plays for Fiorentina. Italy don't like travellinh, don't have a great record.

Qwerty
13/08/2005, 10:30 PM
Italy are top of a pretty weak group, they lost away to Slovenia 0-1 and beat Moldova away 1-0. Failed to impress at home against Belarus & Scotland, on their recent record we should get a win or a draw but I would prefer to get through the game without injuries. Hopefuly Robbie and Duffer will only be used as subs.

26-Mar-05 ITA:SCO 2:0
13-Oct-04 ITA:BLR 4:3
09-Oct-04 SVN:ITA 1:0
08-Sep-04 MDA:ITA 0:1
04-Sep-04 ITA:NOR 2:1

thejollyrodger
14/08/2005, 8:23 AM
Italy are using this game as preperation for their qualifier against scotland. cheeky buggars. We are hardly scotland. I hope italy lose and lose bad

jbyrne
14/08/2005, 3:28 PM
Italian squad for Wednesday's match with Ireland:
Goalkeepers: G Buffon (Juventus), M De Sanctis (Udinese), F Roma (Monaco).

Defenders: A Barzagli (Palermo), F Cannavaro (Juventus), F Grosso (Palermo), M Materazzi (Inter Milan), A Nesta (AC Milan), C Zaccardo (Palermo), G Zambrotta (Juventus).

Midfielders: S Barone (Palermo), M Camoranesi (Juventus), D De Rossi (AS Roma), A Diana (Sampdoria), G Gattuso (AC Milan), G Mesto (Reggina), A Pirlo (AC Milan).

Forwards: A Del Piero (Juventus), A Gilardino (AC Milan), V Iaquinta (Udinese), L Toni (Fiorentina), F Totti (AS Roma), C Vieri (AC Milan).

A lot of big names in this squad... should be interesting

eirebhoy
14/08/2005, 5:31 PM
Italy are using this game as preperation for their qualifier against scotland. cheeky buggars. We are hardly scotland. I hope italy lose and lose bad
:confused:

thejollyrodger
14/08/2005, 5:52 PM
you usually play a team that is similar to the team you face in the qualifiers. Were playing italy because of the similar style to France. Italy must be playing us because they reckon were on the same lines as Scotland :confused:

THe italian coach is a bit of a tatical head like Sachi before him. So I imagine he is going to try lots of formations out if at all possible.

Their attack far outweighs their defence. Very strange for an Italian side, but it will be a good test for our back four. We should score 1 or 2 though, the defence is a bit of a mess for them.

eirebhoy
14/08/2005, 5:54 PM
you usually play a team that is similar to the team you face in the qualifiers. Were playing italy because of the similar style to France. Italy must be playing us because they reckon were on the same lines as Scotland :confused:
lol, Don't be silly. :) It'd be impossible to put friendlies together if teams wanted to play one's similar to their next competitive opposition.

the defence is a bit of a mess for them.
Nesta, Cannavaro and Zambrotta would all be in with a chance of making a World XI.

gustavo
14/08/2005, 7:14 PM
Nesta, Cannavaro and Zambrotta would all be in with a chance of making a World XI.

doesnt make them cohesive as a unit!

-Bray-
14/08/2005, 7:30 PM
Fancy Italy for this one. And at 6-4 :cool:

Colie
14/08/2005, 7:57 PM
I'll go for a draw or a win for us. I mean if we can keep Brazil out....

sligoman
15/08/2005, 12:27 AM
sad very sad, change your nickname to something non IrishCowboy, you are obsessed with giving out to people who doubt Ireland's chances, not everybody can be optimistic the whole time. I think bray was only messing too :rolleyes:

sligoman
15/08/2005, 12:28 AM
I'm going for a very close game. 1-0 or 2-1 to us. If Italy score it will be a late goal in my opinion ;)

Cowboy
15/08/2005, 8:58 AM
Cowboy, you are obsessed with giving out to people who doubt Ireland's chances, not everybody can be optimistic the whole time. I think bray was only messing too :rolleyes:

And your not obsessed commenting on my posts? In any case Bray is well able to speak up for himself.

sligoman
15/08/2005, 11:47 AM
And your not obsessed commenting on my posts?No I'm not, cos after now I wont be able to see any of your posts. I've added you to my ignore list cos your posts are just crap imo. Maybe the feeling is mutual, I dont know :rolleyes: