PDA

View Full Version : Dublin vs Tyrone

Anto McC
12/08/2005, 6:39 PM
Anyone else going and who will win

Superhoops
13/08/2005, 9:32 AM
Anyone else going and who will win
Hope Dubs win for no other reason than these Ulster teams are getting far too arrogant.

hamish
13/08/2005, 9:39 AM
If you'd asked me a few months ago,Anto, I'd have said Tyrone but nowadays Dublin have really become a much more confident outfit and I reckon they'll shade it.

Meant to mention before RTE showed the Dubs manager at the Shels v Steaua Bucharest game.

Rebal Boy
13/08/2005, 11:18 AM
I'd say this is going to be a very close and exiting game. I don't know who will win, but whoever does it will only be by a point or 2. As long as the Rebels win tomorrow I don't care.

Anto McC
13/08/2005, 11:22 AM
Being a betting man,i wouldn't bet against Tyrone but i have a rule,in which i never(with a few exceptions) bet against the team i support.so i have no money on this and I'm going for Tyrone :(

Docboy
13/08/2005, 11:47 AM
Will be there myself alright,though it's going to be a bit dicey. Hopefully the dubs do it with a point to spare!

ciaran76
13/08/2005, 2:08 PM
How many sending off today do ye reckon then ? ;)
2 ?

Poor Student
13/08/2005, 4:00 PM
Dublin 0-5 Tyrone 0-3

Poor Student
13/08/2005, 4:25 PM
Dublin 1-10 Tyrone 0-08

Goal from Tomas Quinn.

Anto McC
13/08/2005, 6:30 PM
1-14 each is how it finished.Despite having no bets on before the game,2mins into the second half i bet a mate i was at the game with that it would be a draw(having seen the way the referee was going) the referee was actually very impartial but i still got lucky and came out a tenner richer :p :D

As for the replay,I think Dublin will definetly win.Another dodgy second half performance like those from the last two years won't help their cause in any game but at least they are still getting results from them which they didn't under Lyons

sligoman
13/08/2005, 6:35 PM
Bogball, who cares? :rolleyes: :D

Anto McC
13/08/2005, 6:39 PM

Well you're from the bog,so you :D

If you don't have anything decent to add to the thread,don't add anything at all :rolleyes:

Superhoops
13/08/2005, 7:02 PM
Well you're from the bog,so you :D

If you don't have anything decent to add to the thread,don't add anything at all :rolleyes:
Whether Sligoman is from the bog or not does not really matter, but I agree that if he hasnt got anything relevant to add then he should not bother.

I assume Sligoman did not watch the game but if he or anyone else didn't, they missed a great Irish sporting occasion, 78000+ at Croke Park.

Whether you like Gaelic football or not, you could not fail to appreciate the fact that this will probably be the best attended sporting event in Europe this weekend and it happened in Ireland!. Any true Irish sports fan should be proud of that and would be better off giving the GAA credit for making it happen rather than making crass and infantile comments.

sligoman
14/08/2005, 1:05 AM
Well you're from the bog,so you :DTypical Dub comment, anyone not from the capital is a buff :rolleyes: :D

sligoman
14/08/2005, 1:06 AM
Whether Sligoman is from the bog or not does not really matter, but I agree that if he hasnt got anything relevant to add then he should not bother.I was taking the **** so calm down :rolleyes:

Anto McC
14/08/2005, 2:06 AM
Typical Dub comment, anyone not from the capital is a buff :rolleyes: :D

Not always but if you have to be a Dub to understand,I happen to like people from Wexford and Carlow and someone from Sligo :p :D

sligoman
14/08/2005, 2:09 AM
Not always but if you have to be a Dub to understand,I happen to like people from Wexford and Carlow and someone from Sligo :p :D :D :D

hamish
14/08/2005, 3:57 AM
Dublin should have edged it but that Tyrone goal was terrific.

CollegeTillIDie
14/08/2005, 10:58 AM
Well said Thugball/bogball sucks :D it's only a game for bad hurlers

Superhoops
14/08/2005, 11:39 AM
Well said Thugball/bogball sucks :D it's only a game for bad hurlers
Do you think that players like Kevin Moran, Niall Quinn and Kenny Cunningham would agree with that assessment?

Why did over 78000 (many of who are also Irish soccer fans, especially among the Dubs) turn at Croke Park yesterday?

Gaelic football and hurling played at the highest level is as good as any field sport anywhere in the world.

Anto McC
14/08/2005, 11:42 AM
Do you think that players like Kevin Moran, Niall Quinn and Kenny Cunningham would agree with that assessment?

Why did over 78000 (many of who are also Irish soccer fans, especially among the Dubs) turn at Croke Park yesterday?

Gaelic football and hurling played at the highest level is as good as any field sport anywhere in the world.

Agreed,it's typical Irish sh*te to knock our own,any time somebody from Ireland becomes well known the rest of the country calls them gay or something :rolleyes: and tell us how they are shaming the Irish nation

sligoman
14/08/2005, 1:06 PM
Agreed,it's typical Irish sh*te to knock our own,any time somebody from Ireland becomes well known the rest of the country calls them gay or something :rolleyes: and tell us how they are shaming the Irish nationYeah Anto, your a disgrace to this country :rolleyes: :D

Anto McC
14/08/2005, 1:42 PM
Yeah Anto, your a disgrace to this country :rolleyes: :D

Well i'm just happy enough to be considered well known :D

bigmac
14/08/2005, 4:31 PM
Dublin should have edged it but that Tyrone goal was terrific.

Terrible defending though - two players bought the same dummy twice!

Green Tribe
15/08/2005, 12:15 AM
Hope Dubs win for no other reason than these Ulster teams are getting far too arrogant.

:mad:
:eek: :rolleyes:

Jealousy, jealousy......... :D I'm a Down supporter, so even though i would usually support my province in such a game, i couldn't bring myself to support those tyrone tramps, they are forever thumping us out in the Ulster championship over the last couple of years, we could've nearly got them this year ....fcukers! They are one of the dirtiest players as well. Got to see most of the game, was class.....Down for next year! Up Down! :o

hamish
15/08/2005, 4:51 AM
Terrible defending though - two players bought the same dummy twice!

True, true but it looked a great goal all the same.

carrickharp
15/08/2005, 9:25 AM
Come on it was a great goal, if a Dub had scored it....

Eire06
15/08/2005, 9:36 AM
Great match to watch on Saturday (Not great football!!)
Fair play to the Dubs for not letting Tyrone run away with it (although that free was questionable! Never mind the pulling forward of it).. :rolleyes:

I'm hopin for a Dub Cork final!! :D

Aberdonian Stu
15/08/2005, 10:06 AM
Nearly threw it away but then got out of jail. Should be interesting in a fortnight.

I was very impressed by the ref's interpretation of advantage, both consistent in his application and generally correct in his assessment (one occasion for each team where perhaps he would have been correct to call it back but otherwise top notch).

As with all refs there are areas of his game that need improving, some of which aren't in the rule book. When he went hunting for a player who had committed an offence he shouldn't have gone running all over the place, if he knew the number he should have called the player over and if he didn't he should have taken no action. On the whole it was one of the better refereeing performances I've seen this season.

Superhoops
15/08/2005, 2:32 PM
I was very impressed by the ref's interpretation of advantage, both consistent in his application and generally correct in his assessment (one occasion for each team where perhaps he would have been correct to call it back but otherwise top notch).
I thought there was no advantage rule in GAA, something that leads to inconsistentcies.

My understanding is that even if a referee wants to give an advantage to a team instead of a free that the rules do not allow it and he cannot make it clear to the players that a foul has been committed and that he is playing on to the advantage of the team/player who was fouled.

geysir
15/08/2005, 5:39 PM
:mad:
:eek: :rolleyes:

Jealousy, jealousy......... :D I'm a Down supporter, so even though i would usually support my province in such a game, i couldn't bring myself to support those tyrone tramps, they are forever thumping us out in the Ulster championship over the last couple of years, we could've nearly got them this year ....fcukers! They are one of the dirtiest players as well. Got to see most of the game, was class.....Down for next year! Up Down! :o

Down going up? Maybe if Sean O'Neill starts listening to voices in the night:-)
There was a lot of acclaim for Owen Mulligan's goal and rightly so, but the best ever claim is a bit OTT. I am thinking of the semi final victory of Down over Kerry in the 90's when Down scored two great goals. One of them in particular scored by a player who went on to play a bit of soccer afterwards, for Dundalk I think.
Then there was the great man himself Sean O'Neill, the second goal against Kerry in 1968 or 69 final, on the 14 yard line he was being pulled one way to the left, with the ball on the ground while falling he stroked it with the outside of his right boot into the right side of the net. I was only a young lad standing at the opposite canal end. My family who are all Kerry on one side claimed it was a flouke.

Green Tribe
15/08/2005, 7:32 PM
ahhh the 90's, the paradise years for Down and Ulster teams.... ;) :D Sweet....... :p
As much as it chokes me, I think Tyrone will sneak this replay.

bigmac
16/08/2005, 3:19 PM
Come on it was a great goal, if a Dub had scored it....

Take nothing away from him, when it went in I texted my girlfriend
"Mulligan just scored goal of the season for Tyrone"
You can only beat what's in front of you and he did that easily.

Referee was excellent, helped by the lack of cynical fouling that we saw in other games this year. Equal credit to the two teams for making his life easier. For all people who can't keep their mouth shut I was delighted to see him advance the final free forward - that piece of "gamesmanship" could have cost Tyrone the game - turned a difficult kick into a fairly routine one.

Poor Student
16/08/2005, 4:18 PM
Anyone know when the replay will be? I heard they're going to have trouble finding a slot for it.

geysir
16/08/2005, 4:34 PM
Referee was excellent, helped by the lack of cynical fouling that we saw in other games this year. Equal credit to the two teams for making his life easier. For all people who can't keep their mouth shut I was delighted to see him advance the final free forward - that piece of "gamesmanship" could have cost Tyrone the game - turned a difficult kick into a fairly routine one.

No matter what way you look at it, if the free was given against the Tyrone player for knocking the ball out of the dub's hand then it was no free to begin with. Do you think there is any validity to the conspiracy theorists about the ref going for the draw? I am a bit suspicious by now with the number of games ending in draws with suspicions of flexible refereeing

Aberdonian Stu
16/08/2005, 4:40 PM
There is no rule but there is no obligation to call for a free if you see a benefit in allowing play to continue.

The main area that this differs from camogie is that prior to recent years it was set in stone that a free is a free, making for some truly dull games (and I'm not that fond of the sport to begin with). Thankfully it isn't applied as rigidly anymore.

Superhoops
16/08/2005, 7:42 PM
Anyone know when the replay will be? I heard they're going to have trouble finding a slot for it.
Thought it had been fixed for Saturday 27th At Croke Park, with the winners playing the winners of Laois/Armagh on Sunday 4 September.

bigmac
17/08/2005, 2:34 PM
No matter what way you look at it, if the free was given against the Tyrone player for knocking the ball out of the dub's hand then it was no free to begin with. Do you think there is any validity to the conspiracy theorists about the ref going for the draw? I am a bit suspicious by now with the number of games ending in draws with suspicions of flexible refereeing

Don't think so. Dub prob shaded the decisions (home town crowd etc) but there were one or two frees given against them that shouldn't have been frees. With regard to conspiracy, would the ref have played more time if Dub had missed the kick? I doubt it, he told the player that that was last kick of the game. If a game is a draw after 70 minutes I think refs blow up so nobody can say they lost it because the referee played too much extra time.

Anto McC
24/08/2005, 6:26 PM
As opposed to starting another thread,I'm just going to revive thjis one

I think Dublin will win by 2 points

SuperDub
25/08/2005, 9:32 PM
I would love it just love it if were to win just to knock the smug Grins off Joe Brolly & Colm O'Rourkes faces. O'rourke has being moaning since the meath match that ciaran whelan was never punished for decking the Meath midfielder.

Green Tribe
25/08/2005, 10:44 PM
Tyrone (feckers) will win. Shall be watching it. :D

Dublin12
26/08/2005, 11:22 AM
up The Dubs :D

Green Tribe
28/08/2005, 5:39 PM
up The Dubs :D

:rolleyes: :D
Click here..... (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0827/allireland.html)

I knew this would happen.
Now, Armagh will hump Tyrone and meet Kerry who humped Cork today....snigger :D and Sam will come North once again! :D
Go on Armagh!

And well done to the Down minors, into the final, would be class - Down for the minors and Armagh for the seniors, sweet............

CollegeTillIDie
28/08/2005, 5:45 PM

Hurling I would agree with. Gaelic football following observation.
Soccer is played in 217 countries worldwide. Gaelic football is played in how many? As to why 78,000 people attended , well how many would you get at a GAA National League (same opposition)in the depths of March with a chilly wind blowing and it bucketing down with rain? Less than 10,000 unless it was the final

geysir
28/08/2005, 6:49 PM
Hurling I would agree with. Gaelic football following observation.
Soccer is played in 217 countries worldwide. Gaelic football is played in how many? As to why 78,000 people attended , well how many would you get at a GAA National League (same opposition)in the depths of March with a chilly wind blowing and it bucketing down with rain? Less than 10,000 unless it was the final
Might it have something to do with windy chilly buckets of rain? I don't know, I am stumped.
Often enough you get league games with 15,000 attending which covers the average total EL weekly attendance.:)
What is the point of coming onto a gaelic football thread and making some facile point about Gaelic not dominating the world? I suggest you might be more at home in some other forums where you can use imaginativly discriptive words like "bogball" etc. without recrimination. I come to this forum to follow a thread on Gaelic football.

CollegeTillIDie
28/08/2005, 8:16 PM
Might it have something to do with windy chilly buckets of rain? I don't know, I am stumped.
Often enough you get league games with 15,000 attending which covers the average total EL weekly attendance.:)
What is the point of coming onto a gaelic football thread and making some facile point about Gaelic not dominating the world? I suggest you might be more at home in some other forums where you can use imaginativly discriptive words like "bogball" etc. without recrimination. I come to this forum to follow a thread on Gaelic football.

The basic point is Championship fans don't go the National League games, in the same way that Rugby International ticket buyers ignore the AIL and Republic of Ireland so called supporters ignore the EL.

We are a nation of bandwagon jumpers and Event attenders. And if the same two teams played in November the crowd would be way lower.

As regards Gaelic football it is just a game for bad hurlers :D

geysir
29/08/2005, 2:50 AM
The basic point is Championship fans don't go the National League games, in the same way that Rugby International ticket buyers ignore the AIL and Republic of Ireland so called supporters ignore the EL.
We are a nation of bandwagon jumpers and Event attenders. And if the same two teams played in November the crowd would be way lower.
As regards Gaelic football it is just a game for bad hurlers :D
If it was your point you kept it well disguised coming after making a disparaging comparison about gaelic's popularity worldwide compared with soccer.

To respond to your point about support,
In GAA, the first loyalty is to the local club and the competition to win is the county championship. After that then the county gets support and the championship is the competition. If they end up in Croke Park like Armagh 3 times and Tyrone have 4 times this year (so far!) and their followers travel in their tens of thousands. Its churlish imo to describe that support as event junkies.
Played at its highest level, is it as good as any other field sport in the world? I don't know, its apples and oranges. Maybe Superhoops made that statement after the Tyrone and Dublin game. I would say that those two games, the athmosphere, the excitement, the ethos and the game quality is as good as it gets anywhere in the world. Its a game which reached a peak in a packed stadium and he is rightly proud of it, thats how I understood his comments, its that simple.