PDA

View Full Version : English Clubs Ban Gambling Sponsors on Shirts

Lim till i die
14/04/2023, 1:49 PM
If you're getting addicted to gambling because you saw a gambling sponsor on a football shirt you are a lunatic and the more money can be taken off you the better cos lord only knows what you'd be doing with it if you still had it.

Ffyfes and Pepper are two major sponsors in recent years off the top of my head as I sit here on the jacks that would would be every bit as evil as the evilest gambling company.

Clubs in Ireland haven't the luxury of a "conscience" (ie being hypocrites)

The idea that anywhere has anything to learn from the Premier league about doing the right thing by people is laughable.

The league champions elect are owned by medieval medieval slave drivers, most below them are seeking their own global supervillians so they can compete

But shur they throw an oul few platitudes at the blacks and the gays and whoever else is that months victim and shur all is grand.

Lim till i die
14/04/2023, 2:35 PM
If you're getting addicted to gambling because you saw a gambling sponsor on a football shirt you are a lunatic and the more money can be taken off you the better cos lord only knows what you'd be doing with it if you still had it.

Ffyfes and Pepper are two major sponsors in recent years off the top of my head as I sit here on the jacks that would would be every bit as evil as the evilest gambling company.

The idea that anywhere has anything to learn from the Premier league about doing the right thing by people is laughable.

The league champions are owned by medieval slave drivers, most below them are seeking their own global supervillians so they can compete

But shur they throw an oul few platitudes at the latest cause every couple of months and shur all is grand.

Neish
14/04/2023, 2:44 PM

The league champions are owned by medieval slave drivers, most below them are seeking their own global supervillians so they can compete

But shur they throw an oul few platitudes at the latest cause every couple of months and shur all is grand.

A fine example of the complete lack of understanding of how an addiction just takes over and normal reasoning gets cast aside.
Ever think there may be a very valid reason that just about every group, company, charity etc that deals with [problem gambling is calling for gambling advertisements to be banned or at least curtailed?

As for LOI clubs not have the luxury of conscience, well most have dealt ok so for with not being sponsored by big gambling firms, so I'd say they can have a conscience

Lim till i die
14/04/2023, 2:49 PM
A fine example of the complete lack of understanding of how an addiction just takes over and normal reasoning gets cast aside.
Ever think there may be a very valid reason that just about every group, company, charity etc that deals with [problem gambling is calling for gambling advertisements to be banned or at least curtailed?

As for LOI clubs not have the luxury of conscience, well most have dealt ok so for with not being sponsored by big gambling firms, so I'd say they can have a conscience

In which we find out that lobby groups conduct lobbying in their own interests.

And that gambling companies are the only bad companies.

Sound for that.

EatYerGreens
14/04/2023, 3:37 PM

This is pretty naive to be honest Lim. That's obviously not how advertising works. Otherwise we'd all be buying cars, computers etc etc on the basis of what we see on football shirts too. Which clearly we're not doing, becuase it's more gradual and indirect than that.

What it does is it helps to 'normalise' gambling. Taking what for years was a fringe activity that was seen in many quarters as either socially unacceptable or at best barely tolerable, and turning it into something much more mainnstream. Hence why the gambling ads are all about fun and gambling with friends etc etc . They've spent the last 2 decades taking the industry out of the shadows and trying to inject it into the maintstream of modern life. Just another activity - like going for a walk, watching TV, reading a book or having a game of pool. And part of normalising gambliny is both to make it ubiquitous (it;s literally everywhere in Britain these days, so you canlt avoid it) and also to associate it closely with sport. Because sport is popular, and people can also be persuaded to bet on it.

To flip your point back to you - if gambling companies didn't think it benefitted them to advertise on football shirts, they wouldn't do it. The fact that 40% of Premier League football clubs - almost half - have a gambling company as their main sponsor speaks volumes. These guys aren't mugs. They know exactly what they're doing. And to be honest - they rely on people like you claiming that it has no impact to enable them to continue haviing the impact that they themselves obviously know their sponsorship has. Because that's exactly why they do it.

EatYerGreens
14/04/2023, 3:40 PM
In which we find out that lobby groups conduct lobbying in their own interests.

And that gambling companies are the only bad companies.

Sound for that.

What other industry/category of businesses that are currently able to advertise on shirts are you saying shouldn't be allowed to do so as well ? And on what basis ?

Lim till i die
14/04/2023, 4:16 PM
That's kind of the crux of my argument.

Like I get how advertising works, 100% the gambling ads would be pretty crappy if they didn't encourage people to gamble!

But where do you draw the line? Who is the moral arbiter on what's right and wrong to advertise?

I've already mentioned ffyfes (the workers dear god the workers) and Pepper (managing a big book of distressed loans, no human misery no pepper!) above as sponsors where the argument could be made that they are at least as "evil" as say Paddy Power. But I don't remember any clamour around them

Ill give you an even more obtuse example. Like I'm a fat *******. Throughout my life I have eaten more than the recommended daily calorific intake. I'm sure there's possibly a root psychological cause somewhere beyond being a glutton

Do I get to ban food advertising?

100% gambling advertisements would encourage gambling addicts to gamble more. But are we running football clubs to help with addiction? Or should addiction services be helping with addiction? I get the argument that clubs could be helping their communities by banning advertising "evil" products. But again that brings me back to who is the arbiter of evil? Not to mention the opportunity cost of a club forgoing money in sponsorship which could be used for community work or even for a top new striker which means more people in the gate which means less yoof out wondering the roads etc etc. I just don't think it's as simple as boo gambling bad when clubs are operating week to week.

Allied to all of the above is my deep cynicism about such "gestures".. my original post on this thread was deleted because I made my contempt for the Premier league and its initiatives clear in terms that just aren't cool anymore. But what I was driving at was my deep suspicion that a lot of this stuff is just handy for a lot of people, make a grand statement and yay look at us we made a grand statement that's that problem solved onto the next one. Banning gambling advertising will stop gambling advertising. I don't see much it does to address the root causes of addiction

Anyway thus endeth my contribution as tis near clocking out time

A blessed and peaceful weekend to all LoI fans

Bar Cork

And Shels

Waterford

Galway

Anyway enjoy

sbgawa
14/04/2023, 9:13 PM
Ban mcdonalds next its bad for you.
Clubs should only be sponsored by vegans

Longfordian
14/04/2023, 9:41 PM
The entire League of Ireland is bad for one's health most years. Shut it down.