PDA

View Full Version : Paul Deering

sligoman
11/08/2005, 1:20 PM
Sligo soccer referee, Paul Deering has been appointed to officiate at a senior international in Iceland next Wednesday.

The friendly match between Iceland and South Africa will take place in Reykjavik on Wednesday night August 17th.

Mr. Deering will be Assistant Referee on the match while the referee will be Dave McKeon from Dublin.

Mr. Deering, a member of Sligo branch of the Irish Soccer Referees' Society, has been refereeing since 1994 and became a senior referee in 1998 when he joined the eircom League panel of which he is still a member.

In 2001, Mr. Deering was assistant referee at the FAI Cup final between Bohemians and Longford Town and in 2004 was Fourth Official on the League Cup Final between the same clubs. He also held a FIFA assistant's badge for the 2001 season and officiated at matches in Slovakia, Armenia and Israel

Mr. Deering, a journalist with "The Sligo Champion", becomes the first Sligo referee to officiate at a senior men's international soccer match.

He regularly officiates in the eircom League both at senior and U-21 level and also in the local junior and youth leagues.

Senior referees' assessor for Connacht/Ulster, William Bradley welcomed Mr. Deering's appointment and said it was a measure of the high esteem in which the Sligo official was held.

"He is fully deserving of this honour. Paul is one of the most dedicated referees on the Eircom panel and I am certain he will do very well in his first senior international," said Mr. Bradley.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
All I'll say is: :confused:

nephin
11/08/2005, 2:14 PM
They must be really short of refs if their giving that man an international match.

Petmuller
11/08/2005, 2:55 PM
Let's not put down our own, it's great to see a Sligo man get international recognition. Congratulations Paul.

Hopefully he'll learn something about refereeing during this appointment.

sligoman
11/08/2005, 2:58 PM
it's great to see sligoman get international recognition.Thanks Petmuller :D.

Sorry, couldn't resist it :o

deecay
11/08/2005, 4:12 PM
well done to him. He mite not be the best, but how many of can say we have been an official at an senior international match

Petmuller
11/08/2005, 4:13 PM
Thanks Petmuller :D.

Sorry, couldn't resist it :o

I think you jumped the gun somewhat there sligoman as I don't really think you want to be associated with Mr. Deering now do you?
I'm still confused as to what you get up to on match nights in the showgrounds ;)

sligoman
11/08/2005, 4:17 PM
I'm still confused as to what you get up to on match nights in the showgrounds ;)lol, well I'm not the ref anyway :D :p

Da Real Rover
11/08/2005, 4:43 PM
I cant believe your congradulating Deering, have yee all that short memories. I'll show as much loyalty to him as he does for his local team and tell him to **** off to Iceland and stay there cause all hes good for is holding up numbers. Maybe your one in Countdown will be stepping down soon, a possible opening for our local legend?

Petmuller
11/08/2005, 7:03 PM
lol, well I'm not the ref anyway :D :p

Well that's another one off the list.
I'm narrowing it down ;)

sligoman
11/08/2005, 7:04 PM
I'm narrowing it down ;)What have you got left? Also, I'm not the manager or a player so there's another two off it for ya ;)

rockstar
11/08/2005, 10:43 PM
:eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Redtop
11/08/2005, 11:11 PM
Did sailor foley not do an international match years ago?

ranting rover
12/08/2005, 8:37 AM
Is it just me or does it not sound extraordinarily amateur to have a national league game refereed by a local?

I think it is a lose-lose situation for Deering, for not wanting to appear to be giving his 'local' side any perceived advantages would it not be human nature to automatically give 50/50 decisions to the other team?

I haven't seen him in action for a few years at least but if he is such a muppet then he wouldn't be held in such high esteem by UEFA/FIFA or whoever...

Ash
12/08/2005, 8:57 AM
Jebus what is the world coming to!
Paul Deering is possibly the worst ref in the world.
He dosent seem to know half the rules!!!!

The only ref that matches him for uselessness is his
brother Eugene who used to ref in the Roscommon League

Redzer
12/08/2005, 9:59 AM
I think it is a lose-lose situation for Deering, for not wanting to appear to be giving his 'local' side any perceived advantages would it not be human nature to automatically give 50/50 decisions to the other team?
If he'd give us 50% of the LEGAL decisions due to us, that would be an improvement!!!
Who would want to referee a game in Iceland?

Rory H
12/08/2005, 10:24 AM
:) as long as he is out of the country im happy

Petmuller
12/08/2005, 10:51 AM
Is it just me or does it not sound extraordinarily amateur to have a national league game refereed by a local?

I haven't seen him in action for a few years at least but if he is such a muppet then he wouldn't be held in such high esteem by UEFA/FIFA or whoever...

In fairness to the national league he doesn't referee any of our competitive games. He does officiate as fourth official which I assume is to cut costs. On saying that I feel you've hit the nail on the head as to the reasoning behind his 'poor' performances. I always feel that Deering seems to excert too much energy concentrating on not seeming to be sideing with the local team, which in turn tends to make him go the other way. What puzzles me is that at every game we have a referee's advisor which in our case is Willie Bradley and I can never understand how he never sees the game like the rest of us. Paul's appointment for international duty I'm sure is aided by the Brad's reports so obviousily he's more than happy with his performances.

gustavo
12/08/2005, 10:56 AM
he brings anal retentiveness to a new level :(

Ash
12/08/2005, 10:59 AM
I always feel that Deering seems to excert too much energy concentrating on not seeming to be sideing with the local team, which in turn tends to make him go the other way.

He must think he's from Athlone too in that case :p
Always brutal when he was an official at our games. One season we even
appealed to the League that he not ref any more of our matches, in fairness the
League saw our point and he didnt officiate any game in Mels for the rest of
the season

But to agree with your point, I always felt it was the same when John Stacy
refereed any of our matches in years gone by. Anything even blatently 90/10
in our favour was always given to the opposition.
Just afraid of being branded bias toward home town I reckon