PDA

View Full Version : The Crimes of Oliver Byrne

Dodge
11/08/2005, 10:20 AM
No, not the ones he was convicted of in court but his footballing "crimes"

I'm not talking about general annoyance or even Shels as a club being c.unts (like the Derry jersey thing or Monday night) but specific incidents where Mr. Byrne has, at the very least, embarresed himself. Has Ollie had an "incident" with every club in the country? Please feel free to add your own

Pats
Fighting in the directors box in Richmond
Involved in a pats director falling down stairs in Tolka

Rovers
Involved in an altercation with Roddy Collins
Shifting of blame for attacks on Linfield fans onto Rovers fans

Drogheda
Involved in incident which saw Club PRO ending up on ground

Derry
Went into Derry support to forcefully remove flag, in the process damaging said flag

Oh and before anyone worries about legal stuff, all the above are facts (and worded carefully ;) )

EnDai
11/08/2005, 10:23 AM
Haha! :D He did say "Celtic or Rovers" though, specifying green and white hooped jersies, I guess they could have been angry TNS fans though? :)

wws
11/08/2005, 10:25 AM
Drogheda

F Cassidy (Smithers to Ollie's Mr Burns) has pointed out that the Drogheda PRO was wearing unmarked clothing, with no badge identifying himself as an official PRO or cameraman, he was also taking pictures - which is strictly forbidden in a democratic modern society like Ireland - therefore this "PRO" WAS FAIR GAME REALLY!

thecorner
11/08/2005, 10:29 AM
Pats
Fighting in the directors box in Richmond
Involved in a pats director falling down stairs in Tolka

Rovers
Involved in an altercation with Roddy Collins
Shifting of blame for attacks on Linfield fans onto Rovers fans

Drogheda

Derry
Went into Derry support to forcefully remove flag, in the process damaging said flag

Oh and before anyone worries about legal stuff, all the above are facts (and worded carefully ;) )
Cork City
Went into City support at tolka 2 seasons ago to forcefully remove flag, in the process gave one of our fans a dig

SeanDrog
11/08/2005, 10:35 AM
F Cassidy (Smithers to Ollie's Mr Burns) has pointed out that the Drogheda PRO was wearing unmarked clothing, with no badge identifying himself as an official PRO or cameraman, he was also taking pictures - which is strictly forbidden in a democratic modern society like Ireland - therefore this "PRO" WAS FAIR GAME REALLY!

I love it WWS - worded perfectly and shows the nonsense coming from Shels at the moment

Number 4
11/08/2005, 10:52 AM
After the defeat in Dalymount to Bohs earlier this season he got involved in several arguements with supporters and agressively asked one or two (as we used to say in school...) for their 'go'. (Love that expression.)

stickyjoe
11/08/2005, 10:57 AM
out of interest how come hes never been charged with any of these offences IF they did really happen ?

either he didnt commit them or else people havent got the balls to make a complaint ?

wws
11/08/2005, 11:01 AM
he was charged over incidents in Richmond - he got off

its basically low key incidents involving a high key figure (or someone who should know better) - he's a complete waste of garda time and resources - like the violent drunk or the brawling fool

it really is a matter for the league to draw the line and reign him in

im afraid the "breakthrough" in europe (a total fiction) has been used as a cover to blur the lines between Irish footballs interests and Shels self interests and egos of their main staff - at this moment they are literally out of control - and I forsee mayhem in Cork if the FAI dont do something quick!

Jerry The Saint
11/08/2005, 11:16 AM

The man in question was in fact PRO of the Drogheda Casuals - Ireland's Number 1 Public Relations "Firm".

paudie
11/08/2005, 11:16 AM
This comes under the "embarassing himself" banner.

A few years ago at a City Shels game in Turners Cross the ref didn't play the right amount of injury time.

Shels lost and Ollie came out and said the four (i think)minutes of injury time should played but not at Turners Cross because the home fans were too noisy and refs felt intimidated :confused: . He went on about appealing to FIFA and everything.

There had been no trouble at the match at all.

He said all this in a TV interview shown on RTE news as well :rolleyes:

Poor Student
11/08/2005, 11:20 AM
Also under the embarrassing himself banner is his rant against Bohs following Shelbourne's title win at Richmond last season.

Vitruvian Man
11/08/2005, 11:24 AM
out of interest how come hes never been charged with any of these offences IF they did really happen ?

either he didnt commit them or else people havent got the balls to make a complaint ?

This seasons "incident" at Bohemians where Ollie had to be restrained from attacking a Bohs Fan, p iss-pants Heary did the whole "I know where you live I'm going to get you" speech to another fan and Dave Rodgers asked yet another fan out into the lane for a fight. Has not been investigated by the FAI yet, it is on hold because Ollie swung digs at Roddy Collins before the Rovers match.

Maybe "that" investigation will be put on hold as well by the new "incident" involving the Drogheda match officials and PRO.

Maybe it's a clever Shelbourne tactic to keep piling fresh incidents on top of each other so that the FAI are so confused they never investigate anything.

Schumi
11/08/2005, 11:28 AM
He also stole 20k worth of Alan Cawley from UCD. The judge ordered Shels to pay penalties when he found against them so I think "stole" is an appropriate word.

Poor Student
11/08/2005, 11:31 AM
He also stole 20k worth of Alan Cawley from UCD. The judge ordered Shels to pay penalties when he found against them so I think "stole" is an appropriate word.

Has it been paid up yet btw?

Schumi
11/08/2005, 11:34 AM
I assume so. We won the court case ages ago.

TheOwl
11/08/2005, 12:07 PM
My favourite Ollie moment was at a Shels match a good few years ago now. He was behind the goal at the Drumcondra End and players were kicking into that goal before the match or else at half-time.

Anyway, one ball was kicked over the bar and you could then see Ollie lock eyes with the ball, he backs up, backs up and then shapes himself for a volley. He connects with the ball as sweetly as a nut firing the ball back towards the pitch. Only problem was that the rocketing ball cannoned of an unaware female Shels fan’s head!

For once in his life Ollie was very apologetic and looked after her well. Bloody hilarious to watch as an innocent bystander though.

Poor Ollie, the hooligan with a heart of gold!

pineapple stu
11/08/2005, 12:33 PM
Has it been paid up yet btw?
Technically, yes. Unfortunately, legal conditions mean the exact means of payment can't be disclosed.

thecorner
11/08/2005, 12:35 PM
F Cassidy (Smithers to Ollie's Mr Burns)

see that he hasnt come back on the thread where the report is of the game on their official site yet

Drumcondra Red
11/08/2005, 12:41 PM

Do you even know who Fintan is wws? He is the main connection between the club and the fans and does a lot of good voluntry work for Shelbourne Football Club, and I think you should edit the above post, or use your words very carefully when talking about him in future.

Slash/ED
11/08/2005, 12:42 PM
Technically, yes. Unfortunately, legal conditions mean the exact means of payment can't be disclosed.

Still, all those smokes could come in handy for you ;)

pineapple stu
11/08/2005, 12:43 PM
Still, all those smokes could come in handy for you ;)
:D

I may as well officially deny that Ollie's paying us in stolen cigarettes!

thecorner
11/08/2005, 12:44 PM
Do you even know who Fintan is wws? He is the main connection between the club and the fans and does a lot of good voluntry work for Shelbourne Football Club, and I think you should edit the above post, or use your words very carefully when talking about him in future.

why...that post isnt one bit libellious

Schumi
11/08/2005, 12:46 PM
:D

I may as well officially deny that Ollie's paying us in stolen cigarettes!I thought Hugh Brady was planning to build the new ground out of them!

Edit: I notice you said stolen cigarettes. How about legit ones?

Supersaint3
11/08/2005, 12:57 PM
why...that post isnt one bit libellious

Agreed??? :confused:

we might have hurt his feelings though.... :rolleyes:

Jerry The Saint
11/08/2005, 1:10 PM
Do you even know who Fintan is wws? He is the main connection between the club and the fans and does a lot of good voluntry work for Shelbourne Football Club, and I think you should edit the above post,

So describing someone as Ollie's "Smithers" - a loyal, supportive assistant - is a horrible thing to say about someone. Well, I agree but I'm surprised you have such a low opinion of your club's leader.

or use your words very carefully when talking about him in future

Sounds suspiciously like a threat, no? What are the future consequences of talking about Mr. Cassidy in this manner? :confused: Should we be worried about Ollie Releasing The Hounds? (Of course Ollie couldn't be held responsible for any action said hounds may take. Even though the biased media would still blame him...)

wws
11/08/2005, 1:21 PM
Do you even know who Fintan is wws?

Yes I do, have talked to him on several occassions, not very recently it has to be said.

He is the main connection between the club and the fans and does a lot of good voluntry work for Shelbourne Football Club,

Not in dispute. Nor ever called into question by me.

and I think you should edit the above post, or use your words very carefully when talking about him in future.

I disagree.

see below and tell me what part of his own posts I'm misrepresenting:

Ollie didn't know who he was.

He wasn't one of the regular press photographers.

He had no bib identifying himself as a press photographer.

He didn't identify himself as a photographer for a Drogheda newspaper.

He didn't identify himself as the PRO for Drogheda United.

so there u go

WeAreRovers
11/08/2005, 2:03 PM

Far be it from me to defend wws but what the hell is wrong with what he posted? Fintan is Ollie's lapdog/Smithers. There's no doubt about that. I've pointed it out before but Shels are the only fanbase with no sense of independence. Ollie says jump and you all ask how high. Very dangerous.

If you lot started asking questions and having a pop at Ollie something might change. You're his 'customers' after all. Consistently taking his crap and even worse backing him up is not good for you as a group of fans.

Even your Ultras got Ollie to pay for your Tifo stuff. Have you any self-respect at all? If so, prove it and call Ollie's bluff.

KOH

EnDai
11/08/2005, 2:08 PM
Even your Ultras got Ollie to pay for your Tifo stuff. Have you any self-respect at all? If so, prove it and call Ollie's bluff.

Where as you got yours for about 4c to the euro of the actual value :)

pete
11/08/2005, 2:28 PM
IMO Oily is ruining Shelbourne football club. From the outside it seems like through his actions he encourages a nasty atmosphere & can now see Manager & players copying his antics. Shels would be better off without Oily as i;m sure plenty of other money men in the background.

Galwayexile
11/08/2005, 3:49 PM
ollie byrne is a muppet, all he does is bully ppl if he doesnt get his own way.Hes a disgrace to the eircom league. Nearly every week hes up to soemthing, why doesnt he keep his mouth shut.

Anto McC
11/08/2005, 4:06 PM
If you lot started asking questions and having a pop at Ollie something might change. You're his 'customers' after all. Consistently taking his crap and even worse backing him up is not good for you as a group of fans.

You're right an at the next match we are going to storm the pitch and ask for his resignation and then we'll move on to Pressuring Nusty into resigning and by this time next year,with a bit of luck we'll be fighting relegation and extinction all while playing out of somebody else's ground but at least nobody will tell us what to do

If you and the rest of the Rovers fans put as much effort in your own joke of a club as opposed to the attempted destruction of others,you might not be clinging on to past glories like you are now

It's one thing to have Cork,Pats,Bohs and other clubs fans offering their opinion on what has happened and what should be done,I accept their points no matter how biased or flawed,i don't always agree but i accept the points but when Scumrock Rovers fans start trying to offer/force their opinions,it is so f*cking annoying because of the shambles that is their club

Anto McC
11/08/2005, 4:07 PM
IMO Oily is ruining Shelbourne football club. From the outside it seems like through his actions he encourages a nasty atmosphere & can now see Manager & players copying his antics. Shels would be better off without Oily as i;m sure plenty of other money men in the background.

Shels would be nothing without Ollie and so long as he is at the Helm we will always have a bright future

Kmo000
11/08/2005, 5:19 PM
I first met Ollie at a Shels shareholders meeting about 1980. He was embroiled in a takeover battle for a football club on its knees. Take a look at Rovers today - that was us without the 400 club. I can vividly recall fighting Thurles Town (who I hear you ask!) to avoid bottom spot and the fight for re-election to the league.

I'm no fan of Ollie but without his influence it is hard to see how the Donnelly family would have become involved with Shels resulting in the purchase of Tolka Park and the success achieved in recent years. Its a great shame that along with the positives there are the 'incidents' which follow Ollie around tarnishing him, Shels and by extension the clubs fans.

It does not make me proud to call myself a Shels fan in the face of this type of ill discipline by senior figures at the club and they must act to control these public displays of petulance. If they feel the need to vent their frustration then do it in the dressing room behind closed doors for christ sake :mad:

Longfordian
11/08/2005, 6:02 PM

The FAI accounts presented at their last AGM show a payment to UCD of 25,000 I think it was, could've been twenty, explained to delegates as being for Cawley. They were then supposed to dock it from Shels prizemoney for Europe this season, that's what our FAI delegate told our club anyway, though his attention span has been known to fluctuate!

Schumi
11/08/2005, 6:03 PM
25k is probably correct, including the interest and penalties.

pineapple stu
11/08/2005, 6:14 PM
The FAI accounts presented at their last AGM show a payment to UCD of 25,000 I think it was, could've been twenty, explained to delegates as being for Cawley. They were then supposed to dock it from Shels prizemoney for Europe this season, that's what our FAI delegate told our club anyway, though his attention span has been known to fluctuate!
Faie enough - if the FAI are saying it! That's exactly right (think it's leauge prize money actually, but same difference). Wait for Ollie to complain when Shels don't get their full prize money now! :rolleyes:

TonyD
11/08/2005, 8:24 PM
Shels would be nothing without Ollie and so long as he is at the Helm we will always have a bright future

Even if that is true it doesn't change or excuse the fact that he is a toe-rag of the highest order. Twice I've witnessed at close hand him trying to attack people at Richmond Park, the second time he had to be restrained by the Police. Still Anto, as long as he keeps the money coming in, eh?

Slash/ED
11/08/2005, 8:24 PM
Still Anto, as long as he keeps the money coming in, eh?

Exactly :)

OneRedArmy
11/08/2005, 10:58 PM
I'm sure someone will ask the question next AGM about the recovery of the E25k (plus additional interest) from Shels. Absolute disgrace FAI paid. Obviously to keep it from dragging further through the courts.

Réiteoir
12/08/2005, 5:13 PM
Should we be worried about Ollie Releasing The Hounds?

Excellent...

Juz the Hoop
15/08/2005, 11:10 AM
You're right an at the next match we are going to storm the pitch and ask for his resignation and then we'll move on to Pressuring Nusty into resigning and by this time next year,with a bit of luck we'll be fighting relegation and extinction all while playing out of somebody else's ground but at least nobody will tell us what to do

If you and the rest of the Rovers fans put as much effort in your own joke of a club as opposed to the attempted destruction of others,you might not be clinging on to past glories like you are now

It's one thing to have Cork,Pats,Bohs and other clubs fans offering their opinion on what has happened and what should be done,I accept their points no matter how biased or flawed,i don't always agree but i accept the points but when Scumrock Rovers fans start trying to offer/force their opinions,it is so f*cking annoying because of the shambles that is their club

Its amazing how many Hellbourne fans heads are in the stand over this. A friend of my dads was defending Ollie to the hilt yesterday and wouldnt agree with any of the points that my dad and other people were making to him. If this was an isolated incident fair enough but it aint. Any hoop will tell you I used to stick up for Ollie but lately that aint the case. As you are doing Anto he called us all scum and said he had proof that fans of Rovers were involved in fighting with Linfield fans. That was May 22nd its now August 15th thats 12 weeks wheres the proof? Since he has none where's his apology nowhere to be seen. I really wanted to go to Tolka last monday but after what happened no way.

What right has he on the pitch anyway he shouldnt be anywhere near it at the end of the game. One day something serious is gonna happen unless he is dealth with now.

His article in the IOS yesterday was appalling. It was petty and his go at us reaks of jealousy reaks of it. He wanted us gone so he could mooch in on tallaght etc. Also because of the former glories you mention Anthony is the reason why Ollie finds every little excuse/opportuinity to have a go at us he has an inferiority complex towards us he shouldnt but he does.

"If you and the rest of the Rovers fans put as much effort in your own joke of a club as opposed to the attempted destruction of others,you might not be clinging on to past glories like you are now"

Wake up and smell the coffee Anto. Have you been on Mars the last 4 months? We are just pointing out facts to you. Its hypocritical of you to accept other fans points of view and not accept ours. We have an opinion just like everyone else.

As for Fintan Cassidy yes he is loyal to Shels and Ollie so hence the Smithers reference but outside it Fintan is a decent bloke. There are good people at Shels like Tosh Maher, Brian Hathan and Fran Rennick they dont deserve this rubbish. That said the are one or two condisending gits at Shels.

KOH

JUZ

bohs til i die
15/08/2005, 11:38 AM
What about the aforementioned Mr Cassidy putting photo’s or scans of a match observers report of an incident under investigation on an internet MB? This is a deliberate attempt to smear the good name of a photographer who was assaulted by Ollie Byrne. I am basing this assumption on the pictures in the newspapers over the past few days. Ollie Byrne had no right being on the pitch either. He claimed he was worried that the pics being taken would harm the image of the game. It’s a shame the other half dozen photographers were so close to take pics of all the post match antics.

Last October, after Bohs beat Shels in Dalymount, Ollie wanted the cops called because one Bohs fan spat at a Shels player, who had tried to climb across the ad boards to confront other Bohs fans calling them bottlers. Then Fred Davis struck a Bohs fan over the head with his clipboard [in the tunnel for the home team] before Fenlon and Bosco Collins went wading into the crowd looking to pick a fight with some Bohs fans. Jason Byrne’s tart then tried to pick a fight with a Bohs fan who was mocking Byrne’s record on Shelbourne’s european run last year.

I told Ollie that I’d call the cops, but I’d also have to report his employees for assault and threatening behaviour. All of a sudden calling the cops wouldn’t be necessary.

Éanna
15/08/2005, 11:41 AM
This comes under the "embarassing himself" banner.

A few years ago at a City Shels game in Turners Cross the ref didn't play the right amount of injury time.

Shels lost and Ollie came out and said the four (i think)minutes of injury time should played but not at Turners Cross because the home fans were too noisy and refs felt intimidated :confused: . He went on about appealing to FIFA and everything.

There had been no trouble at the match at all.

He said all this in a TV interview shown on RTE news as well :rolleyes:he also went on the pitch at the end of that game and attempted to get the referee. There's more to it, which I won't post because it could be dodgy (legally), but lets just say he was his usual self.

bohs til i die
15/08/2005, 11:45 AM
I first met Ollie at a Shels shareholders meeting about 1980. He was embroiled in a takeover battle for a football club on its knees. Take a look at Rovers today - that was us without the 400 club. I can vividly recall fighting Thurles Town (who I hear you ask!) to avoid bottom spot and the fight for re-election to the league.

I'm no fan of Ollie but without his influence it is hard to see how the Donnelly family would have become involved with Shels resulting in the purchase of Tolka Park and the success achieved in recent years. Its a great shame that along with the positives there are the 'incidents' which follow Ollie around tarnishing him, Shels and by extension the clubs fans.

It does not make me proud to call myself a Shels fan in the face of this type of ill discipline by senior figures at the club and they must act to control these public displays of petulance. If they feel the need to vent their frustration then do it in the dressing room behind closed doors for christ sake :mad:

Shels have never owned Tolka Park, they have always just leased it ..... and now they ahve sold that elase toa property developer, have they not?

EnDai
15/08/2005, 12:45 PM
Shels have never owned Tolka Park, they have always just leased it ..... and now they ahve sold that elase toa property developer, have they not?

Shelbourne have something like a 100 year lease on Tolka. They can sell that AFAIK, which is worth alot of money to the corporation if thewy can get it and start building apartments on it...

anto eile
15/08/2005, 12:53 PM

your ignorance is astounding

beleive it or not ,we are about 5 years ahead of almost every club in this league.not becasue we are "ahead" of them. but because every other club is up $hit creek, and will be brought very quickly back to earth. Rovers were the first of the shambles clubs to have sorted ourselves out. but youl learn soon enough when you see for yourself where shels are a year or two from now