PDA

View Full Version : TV Viewing Figures this season

pete
10/08/2005, 9:05 PM
Anyone got the numbers.

I noticed Shels CL qualifiers didn't make Network 2 top 10.

A face
10/08/2005, 10:07 PM
Thats something they should be doing ... publishing the viewing figures of all games !!

Slash/ED
10/08/2005, 10:20 PM
I'd imagine not great, the choice of games to show has been awful

Number 4
11/08/2005, 8:04 AM
Anyone got the numbers.

I noticed Shels CL qualifiers didn't make Network 2 top 10.

Pete the figures I saw had the Steaua v Shels game at number 9 in the weekly top 20 for Net 2 for w/e 31/7. 141,000 was the viewer figures associated with that.

eirebhoy
11/08/2005, 9:10 AM
Thats something they should be doing ... publishing the viewing figures of all games !!
www.medialive.ie

SeanDrog
11/08/2005, 9:14 AM
bet the Cork / Shels game will have massive figures - people tuning in to see mad Ollie and Co. get wound (big time) up by the encouragable Corkies.

Looking very forward to tuning in for this one - don't let us down Corkies.

anto eile
11/08/2005, 12:44 PM
i trust the carkies will make use of this game to engage in copious over-zealous amounts of ollie-baiting

Schumi
11/08/2005, 12:47 PM
We can only hope!

TheOwl
11/08/2005, 12:49 PM
i trust the carkies will make use of this game to engage in copious over-zealous amounts of ollie-baiting

Worrying to see the Shels vs. Steaua game getting 100,000 less viewers than a really, really poor Mayo vs. Cavan All-Ireland qualifer.

pete
11/08/2005, 1:14 PM
Pete the figures I saw had the Steaua v Shels game at number 9 in the weekly top 20 for Net 2 for w/e 31/7. 141,000 was the viewer figures associated with that.

Those figures probably not on Aertel (http://www.rte.ie/aertel/p369.htm) yet. That page just has home leg listed.

141k isn't bad figure though. Its the summer so all numbers wilkl be less & Premiership gets maybe 230k max during winter.

shedite
11/08/2005, 1:26 PM
In fairness, nothing will beat GAA. Even in a bad GAA season as it is now. Fact is, RTE would LOVE more people to watch eircom league. It's in their interest too. They don't pick bad games on purpose! I love the idea of Monday night football this week. Unfortunately eircom league chairmen are so concerned about maximising attendances, they are unwilling to change kick-off times. Imagine a Monday (or tuesday) night game every week. A lot of the potential viewers for a Friday night game are already at games on a Friday night. There'd be huge viewing figures.

Sky did it at the dawn of the Premiership and I reckon it's one of the main factors why the premiership is so succesful. Matches are on when people have nothing else to watch. Sundays - Omnibus editions or soccer. Monday night. What else ya gonna watch

Slash/ED
11/08/2005, 1:36 PM
The problem there is mondays so generally mean poorer attendences, not just the money lost to the home side but also it makes the product look alot poorer on TV.

bigmac
11/08/2005, 1:41 PM
The problem there is mondays so generally mean poorer attendences, not just the money lost to the home side but also it makes the product look alot poorer on TV.

If they had some dublin derbies moved to Monday nights the attendance shouldn't suffer that much. Surely a Bohs Rovers game for example would get as many on a Monday as a Friday?

Slash/ED
11/08/2005, 1:45 PM
If they had some dublin derbies moved to Monday nights the attendance shouldn't suffer that much. Surely a Bohs Rovers game for example would get as many on a Monday as a Friday?

So dublin matches every week so? The Cork fans will be delighted :D

Dyl10
11/08/2005, 2:11 PM
In fairness, nothing will beat GAA. Even in a bad GAA season as it is now. Fact is, RTE would LOVE more people to watch eircom league. It's in their interest too. They don't pick bad games on purpose! I love the idea of Monday night football this week. Unfortunately eircom league chairmen are so concerned about maximising attendances, they are unwilling to change kick-off times. Imagine a Monday (or tuesday) night game every week. A lot of the potential viewers for a Friday night game are already at games on a Friday night. There'd be huge viewing figures.

Sky did it at the dawn of the Premiership and I reckon it's one of the main factors why the premiership is so succesful. Matches are on when people have nothing else to watch. Sundays - Omnibus editions or soccer. Monday night. What else ya gonna watch

there was a good crowd at shells and drogheda last monday

crc
11/08/2005, 2:12 PM
So dublin matches every week so? The Cork fans will be delighted :D... you could hold the odd Cork-Waterford, Derry-Harps game on a Monday night.

republic
12/08/2005, 11:32 AM
In fairness, nothing will beat GAA. Even in a bad GAA season as it is now.

Eh?? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Irish international matches consistently beat the GAAH games in terms of viewer figures and interest. In fact, rugby internationals often beat the GAAH also. Check out the 2004 figures at medialive.ie . These figures are largely reflected in previous years also.

Further, the released figures do not indicate the number of people looking at matches in pubs and clubs. For some reasons, far more people view international soccer (and, to a lesser extent, international rugby) matches outside their homes than GAAH games. Maybe it's to do with the community/patriotic atmosphere which is engendered with international games - something the GAAH can only dream about.

crc
12/08/2005, 11:55 AM
community /patriotic atmosphere... something the GAAH can only dream about. :confused: :confused: The GAA is all about community atmosphere, that's why they manage to get so many bums on seats (rather than bums on barstools).

Roverstillidie
12/08/2005, 12:01 PM
Eh?? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Further, the released figures do not indicate the number of people looking at matches in pubs and clubs. For some reasons, far more people view international soccer (and, to a lesser extent, international rugby) matches outside their homes than GAAH games. Maybe it's to do with the community/patriotic atmosphere which is engendered with international games - something the GAAH can only dream about.

the second half of that post is outrageous. such waffle i have to defend the gaa, i dont like doing that.

all they have is a community/patriotic thing going on thats why they are so strong and cramming them in up and down the island.

and i think you will find a great deal of gaa heads go to their clubs to watch matches. and what about the aussie games in bogball and scottish games in hurling? internationals that can attract 60k, more than football and rugby do....

bigmac
12/08/2005, 12:18 PM
... you could hold the odd Cork-Waterford, Derry-Harps game on a Monday night.

True. I also think that some of the games between Waterford-Derry or Waterford-Harps could be featured - you'd lose a lot of the travelling support but that's not a huge number for these games anyway. With 7 teams around the Dublin area, there'll obviously be a large proportion of games involving those teams anyway.

Just to throw some numbers at it, if you were to have a Monday night game every week, that'd give you 30 a season, featuring 60 clubs, hence each team should be featured at least 4 or 5 times to keep it fair. Put the 6 Cork Waterford and Derry Harps/(Sligo next year?) games on Monday nights - good derbies to feature. Then put on maybe one each of the Derry-Cork, Waterford Harps games - championship/relegation battles and you've already had each team 4 times. The rest of the games could be largely within the Dublin area (including Drogs and Bray), without an unfair Dublin bias.
I haven't forgotten Longford btw, but I have no idea what would be the best way to feature them in a Monday night match. I suppose a Dublin team or Sligo maybe?

republic
12/08/2005, 1:15 PM
i have to defend the gaa, i dont like doing that.

Neither do I. :) :) :)

and what about the aussie games in bogball and scottish games in hurling? internationals that can attract 60k, more than football and rugby do....

The "aussie games in bogball" are a hybrid of two games which mean absolutely *nothing* in terms of genuine international sport. I have no idea what you mean by "scottish games in hurling". Something of a misnomer perhaps :)

The six nations rugby matches would easily sell out Croke Park while the same is equally true of major soccer internationals. For instance, the match next month against France would sell out Croke Park and still leave lots of punters unhappy at being unable to get a ticket. Remember that 35,000 travelled to Paris.

To me, a single appearance of the Republic of Ireland in the World Cup is worth a lifetime of GAA All Ireland cup finals. Now, if we can translate the exposure, atmosphere, goodwill and interest which an appearance at the World Cup generates to the eircom League we will be really going places.

pineapple stu
12/08/2005, 2:04 PM
I have no idea what you mean by "scottish games in hurling".
Shinty-hurling, I think. The imaginative title for the hybrid between the two!

pete
12/08/2005, 3:36 PM
I think its stupid to compare attendances as the GAA beats everything else hands down.

However it will be interesting to see if the current fad of Croke Park loses some appeal in future years especially for non-dublin counties. Must be an expensive day out for families with €40+ tickets, car/train up every other week.

Why so the GAA play every game in Dublin. Its fine for big semi finals 'n stuff but waste for qualifiers & such...?

republic
12/08/2005, 3:52 PM
I think its stupid to compare attendances as the GAA beats everything else hands down.

This would not be the case if the FAI / IRFU had access to a larger stadium :mad:. Having said that it is nobody else's fault but their own...

Obviously, if the capacity of Lansdowne Road was higher then we would see something approaching the measure of real interest in the true international sports. I recall the IRFU indicating that they could easily sell 80,000 to 100,000 tickets for some of the six nations matches. Similarly, the FAI could easily sell as many tickets for crucial World Cup qualifiers. A real pity then that only 35,000 will be able to attend the match against France next month.

If only a percentage of the interest in next month's match could be generated in the eircom League....

bigmac
12/08/2005, 3:57 PM
If only a percentage of the interest in next month's match could be generated in the eircom League....

Easy peasy - if only it could be more than about half a percent though :(