PDA

View Full Version : A new domestic league ?

thejollyrodger
10/08/2005, 5:54 PM
With all the cóck ups that the administrators of the Eircom League are making, which includes everything from the Ollie and Nutsy rountine to the UEFA club licenceing to club financing etc isnt it about time a new league was set up?

A merger with clubs from the north should be discussed to see if they can be brought onboard.

If so - A priemer league with 16 teams. Two regional divisons below that with either 2 or 4 teams promoted/relegated.

All teams entering the priemer division have to strictly meet UEFA club licenceing and sound club financing.

3 European places : 1 Champions League, 1 UEFA Cup and 1 Inter toto

The FAI to administer the league as per GENESIS.

Setanta Cup to be extended to Wales and Scotland.

I wasnt a fan of losing out on places in Europe until I seen the results Longford got earlier this season. 2 places is enough considering this small league and few full time professional clubs serious about Europe.

The 2 team going into Europe should be very strong.

The north will still have a regional league with a few teams in it. This might be enough to satisify FIFA/UEFA regulations for a domestic league for a national side.

Pressure can put on the FAI via the government to ensure that everything is done by the books. If not finance will be withheald. It would be a big improvement on the current regieme.

Expanding the Setanta Cup to Scotland would be very good for the top clubs in the Eircom League. There should be (hopefully) bigger prizemoney and bigger audiences. Plus the teams will get to play against very good teams.

Maybe the team who came 3rd or 4th from scotland and the top team from Wales so it gives all the clubs a chance.

thoughts ??

sligoman
10/08/2005, 6:16 PM
thoughts ??Leave things as they are. I agree that the Setanta Cup should be extended to Scotland and Wales but DONT merge with the NI teams cos I think an all-Ireland league would be a bad idea.

thejollyrodger
10/08/2005, 6:23 PM
why do you say that sligoman ? There hasnt been much trouble from our northern friends and things are bound to be more peaceful in future years.

Hopefully Setanta will look at expanding into Scotland and Wales.

Troy.McClure
10/08/2005, 6:27 PM
Wales.

:confused: :confused: :confused: Its stronger we want it to be getting, not weaker (Longford are Longford, cant really explain the result :o)

sligoman
10/08/2005, 6:30 PM
why do you say that sligoman ?I dont know really, I just feel it's a bad move for the league if they do it :o

Bald Student
10/08/2005, 6:31 PM
I propose that only people who won't make excuses for members of their club acting violently be allowed to support this new league.

Drumcondra Red
10/08/2005, 6:49 PM
I like the idea of the Setanta being stretched to Scotland and Wales, a real celtic cup, Sligoman doesn't want an all-ireland league cos Sligo would find it tougher getting up!!!

sullanefc
A merged league would mean merged national sides.

What you are proposing is that the strongest teams in the north will join the southern league. I can't see that happening. Linfield playing in the Eircom League???? :confused:

ifk101
I dont think a merger with the Irish league is a good idea either. Id rather if the focus was on the development of a pyramid system. Correct me if I'm wrong but this must be the first year that all of our Euro. representatives have won at least one match in Europe. Clearly if anything this shows the league of ireland is progressing in the right direction, albeit slowly.

sligoman
10/08/2005, 6:50 PM
Sligoman doesn't want an all-ireland league cos Sligo would find it tougher getting up!!!:rolleyes:, the last time we played ye we bet ya so you'd do well to keep quiet ;) :D.

thejollyrodger
10/08/2005, 6:57 PM
Im on about a merger with the northern clubs. their best teams go with our best teams. Its just that our league is stronger so there will be more EL clubs in it at the beginning.

An extra spot in Europe is only good if your teams going into Europe are strong enough. If not they lose and bring down the whole co-efficent.

the clubs at the bottom end of the new priemer division are defintely going to feel the pinch but its better for the whole league.

pineapple stu
10/08/2005, 7:09 PM
Linfield playing in the Eircom League???? :confused:
I don't know - check out www.ilf.net - they seem very happy to rub into the Glentoran fans' noses the fact that they're All-Ireland champions! :p

I think the proposal is far too radical to have any real meaning. Best thing fans can do is pressurise the FAI/eL to improve its administration of the league and accept that progress happens slowly but consistently and is happening slowly but consistently.

superfrank
10/08/2005, 7:22 PM
Surely if the two leagues merged we'd get six European places, not just three.

crc
10/08/2005, 7:31 PM
Surely if the two leagues merged we'd get six European places, not just three. :rolleyes:

Its the league that earns European places not the 'country'. Even a combined UEFA coefficient would probably still only entitle us to three places.

A single top division is the only way for football to go in Ireland IMO. I also think that the best prospects for that lie in a breakaway of the best clubs (or at least the threat of it). If that were to happen (however unlikely), it is possible that the new league wouldn't get any European places initially if the IFA and FAI dug their heels in.

pete
10/08/2005, 7:40 PM
With some IL sides in serious financial difficulties & the top sides seeing the benefits of fulltime professionalism i can really see a move by the top sides on both sdies of the border making a move on this in next couple of years.

The FAI don't really want to have to look after the eL. As long as it doesn't damage the International sides they won't care.

Once the FAI, IFA & Uefa agree a new league would be relatively easy to implement. Hire independent administrators with properly structured rules & regulations.

A face
10/08/2005, 7:44 PM
I disagree with the Setanta Cup

I think it is best if it stays the way it is now (4 from each) until it gets established .... why people here want to bring in other teams straight away is beyond me. We'd have to share the spoils and less media attention. I think leave it for at least 5-6 years and then consider doing something.

A face
10/08/2005, 7:53 PM
I wasnt a fan of losing out on places in Europe until I seen the results Longford got earlier this season. 2 places is enough considering this small league and few full time professional clubs serious about Europe.

Are you mad ... you are going to base it all on Longford .... playing in Europe is a great way to attract crowds to eL ..... and you'd happily sign that away ?? ...... spend a bit more time thinking it through will ya !!

The north will still have a regional league with a few teams in it. This might be enough to satisify FIFA/UEFA regulations for a domestic league for a national side.

That aint exactly water-tight !!

Pressure can put on the FAI via the government to ensure that everything is done by the books. If not finance will be withheald. It would be a big improvement on the current regieme.

The government cant handle their own finances ... not to mind ours :p
Seriously ... cant see them wanting to help footie in this country.

Expanding the Setanta Cup to Scotland would be very good for the top clubs in the Eircom League. There should be (hopefully) bigger prizemoney and bigger audiences. Plus the teams will get to play against very good teams.

How does it benefit us exactly ??
I say hold on a while till it is established first

thejollyrodger
10/08/2005, 10:39 PM
Im just going on clubs results in Europe. Realistically only CCFC and Shels have a chance in Europe. They are the only two sides taking Europe seriously. I was dead against losing the third place but to be honest the third team is usually weak.

If we just had two clubs then our co-efficent would rise sharply (im sure its easy to work out by how much). We have a better chance of getting a by into the 2nd round proper, plus getting the third spot back in a future date when the co-efficient increases. The league (in theory) should be stronger then and the third club would do very well.

Im not 100% on the northern situation, maybe they do need their league but it should be looked at.

In fairness, its only the government that can put pressure on the FAI because it has the carrot of funding to use as a stick (is that phrase right). The FAI will never do something on its own accord.

Granted its only the first year of the Setanta Cup but if it does prove sucessful then it should defintely be expanded to Scotland and Wales with 2 groups. Its going to attract a far bigger audience and prize money will be far great for all participants.

Dyl10
10/08/2005, 10:49 PM
Im just going on clubs results in Europe. Realistically only CCFC and Shels have a chance in Europe. They are the only two sides taking Europe seriously. I was dead against losing the third place but to be honest the third team is usually weak.

If we just had two clubs then our co-efficent would rise sharply (im sure its easy to work out by how much). We have a better chance of getting a by into the 2nd round proper, plus getting the third spot back in a future date when the co-efficient increases. The league (in theory) should be stronger then and the third club would do very well..

The league wont be stronger because if only shells and cork keep getting into europe then who will get all the money, big players and publicity?? also the league standard will rise over the next year or two because realistically there will be 5 teams(Shels Cork Derry Bohs Drogs) competing for the top 2 places

ThatGuy
10/08/2005, 11:11 PM

How many games has Shelbourne won in Europe this decade? 2?

How many games has Bohemians won in Europe this decade? 5?

Still think only Shels and Cork should be allowed in Europe? How does less teams having the added experience and financial gain of European football make the league improve? Is there any logic behind your post at all?

Slash/ED
10/08/2005, 11:15 PM

For christ sakes what sort of comment is that? Do you realise if we're lucky this year the third team could be Shels anyway?

I do think the cup winners should go into the inter toto and the league 3rd place into the UEFA though, the inter toto will be around next year apparently.

EnDai
11/08/2005, 7:09 AM
I do think the cup winners should go into the inter toto and the league 3rd place into the UEFA though, the inter toto will be around next year apparently.

We HAVE to say that now though! ;) Haha!
If somethign like that was to even be considered it would have to be done prior to the start of a new campaign, can't go changing it to suit our needs at will! :)

patsh
11/08/2005, 7:23 AM
I agree a new league should be set up. It can be called the Drumcondra and District Hoofball, Boxing & Tantrum Throwing League.

It should consist of one club, $helbyrne.

Then the rest of the clubs could get on with playing football and trying to improve the image and standard of the eL.

thejollyrodger
11/08/2005, 8:16 AM
i dont want to get sidetracked into which club should be in europe. I just meant that there is only really 2 clubs at a time that can do well in europe. If bohs were in europe this season, i couldnt see them going very far. Similarly if Bohs were 2nd next season or even first and shels were fourth, shels would probably lose all the games.

my point is that only 1 or 2 teams at the top of the league can do well.

A good point there about changing the cup spot to inter to to . A good idea IMO.

ThatGuy
11/08/2005, 11:37 AM
i dont want to get sidetracked into which club should be in europe. I just meant that there is only really 2 clubs at a time that can do well in europe. If bohs were in europe this season, i couldnt see them going very far. Similarly if Bohs were 2nd next season or even first and shels were fourth, shels would probably lose all the games.

my point is that only 1 or 2 teams at the top of the league can do well.

A good point there about changing the cup spot to inter to to . A good idea IMO.
Great point. Sure Shels, Bohs, Drogheda etc aren't going to win the league this year. Is there any point in them taking part in the rest of the matches? :rolleyes:

thejollyrodger
11/08/2005, 12:05 PM
here i dont know what the problem is... im just saying that the top clubs can do well in europe but the 3rd or 4th place team (WHOEVER THAT MAY BE !!) wont.

Slash/ED
11/08/2005, 12:09 PM
The third placed team last year did alot better than the second placed team that year.