PDA

View Full Version : Is Shelbournes Implosion good for the League?

wws
10/08/2005, 11:17 AM
Personnally, this has been a great week for Irish football. They've completely lost the plot - there will be absolute war down in Cork (as there was in the Setanta Cup in Turners Cross). Theres no way that game is gonna pass off without a plethora of red cards.

Absolutely delighted. Great for the league. Anyone who isnt enjoying this is either a liar or a shels fan.

Poor Student
10/08/2005, 11:21 AM
It may personally amuse us but how does it make the league look as a product to potential fans and detractors?

pete
10/08/2005, 11:24 AM
Some uninformed people see Shels as Irelands most progressive club etc... but will probably be confused by their downfall. Some may even believe the crap Shels come out about the other small clubs ganging up against the professional club.

:rolleyes:

I think there is no doubt Shels cannot win the league now. Even beating Cork & Derry City twice won't do it now.

League 2006 could be very close with Bohs & Shels recovering to challenge the 2 Citys.

EnDai
10/08/2005, 11:26 AM
I'm a Shels fan, and loving it. For the record; Monday night was absolutely fantastic!

The better all the teams in the league as a whole get, the better the league gets - which is great! Besides, it'd be boring if we won everything all the time! Plus this will also send more money to the likes of Cork and Derry, which is no bad thing.

So in all, its good for the league (though I dont think we've imploded), and thats what matters! We are all Eircom League supporters, regardless of our preferred clubs, and the spectacle is definately one to enjoy :)

pete
10/08/2005, 11:27 AM
I'm a Shels fan, and loving it. For the record; Monday night was absolutely fantastic!

Does Oily know where you live? I'd be very afraid if he does. Are you really a Shels fan? :confused:

Poor Student
10/08/2005, 11:28 AM
Are we referring to Shels' psychological collapse and tantrum antics or their collapse in terms of results?

ThatGuy
10/08/2005, 11:29 AM
We are all Eircom League supporters, regardless of our preferred clubs, and the spectacle is definately one to enjoy :)
I don't agree with that.

I am a Bohs fan. The Eircom League is a sham, my sole loyalties lie with Bohemians.

EnDai
10/08/2005, 11:33 AM
I was trying to refer to the fact that we are all supporters of clubs within the league, and I would much rather a situation like this year than a Rosenborg style situation. It just wouldn't be interesting. But each to their own.

In regards to Monday Night; 4 Great goals, good atmosphere, controversy, 95th minute free kick goal. What more could you want in 90 minutes? (Heh, before anyone points out what I did there, I know! :( :))A victory, most definately, but I cannot say that I did not love almost every minute of it!

Drumcondra Red
10/08/2005, 11:35 AM
ThatGuy: Would you not want to see the EL at a higher standard week in week out? To a neutral bohs matches are quite boring tbh!!!

EnDai: You think its great??? Do I need to remind you of your reaction on Monday night to the Drogs 3rd "goal"????

dcfcsteve
10/08/2005, 11:37 AM

A Shels fan descibing a home draw against Drogheda as "absolutely fantastic" !

Oh, how they've fallen.... :) ;)

ColinR
10/08/2005, 11:37 AM
In regards to Monday Night; 4 Great goals, good atmosphere, controversy, 95th minute free kick goal. What more could you want in 90 minutes?

what more could you want in 90 minutes - a full time whistle at the end of the 90 mins, and not played til the 95th ;) :D

last three matches:

v shels - injury time equaliser conceded :(
v longford - injury time equaliser scored :o
v bohs - injury time winner conceded :(

EnDai
10/08/2005, 11:40 AM
Not the result, the event. Big difference. :)

DR, you know of course I am not saying I think it's great to see Shelbourne fall apart or what have we, what I am trying to get at is that the league spectacle this year has been great. And that is due to what has happened at SHelbourne this year. To recap, I think the league spectacle has been fantastic. :)

And yes, my reaction was not the best to say the least! :( Normally quite calm, ashamed somewhat to be honest!

Slash/ED
10/08/2005, 11:47 AM
It may personally amuse us but how does it make the league look as a product to potential fans and detractors?

In England with Fergusson this is the kind of thing they use to promote the league, it's all hype there. We always focus on the negative they always focus on the positive. It's all entertainment, and whatever about it mondays game was entertaining.

Poor Student
10/08/2005, 11:49 AM
In England with Fergusson this is the kind of thing they use to promote the league, it's all hype there. We always focus on the negative they always focus on the positive. It's all entertainment, and whatever about it mondays game was entertaining.

You're right actually. The bitterness between Man U and Arsenal particularly is used as a selling point. Keegan's ridiculously embarrassing "I'll love it" rant is still replayed today as a famous memorable moment. For whatever reason it works in England but not here.

Slash/ED
10/08/2005, 11:51 AM
You're right actually. The bitterness between Man U and Arsenal particularly is used as a selling point. Keegan's ridiculously embarrassing "I'll love it" rant is still replayed today as a famous memorable moment. For whatever reason it works in England but not here.

The reaosn being we don't have someone like Sky to hype up and focus entirely in the positive of everything. They hype everything, you will never see them say anything negative about the premiership ever and it works.

bohs til i die
10/08/2005, 12:01 PM
I was trying to refer to the fact that we are all supporters of clubs within the league, and I would much rather a situation like this year than a Rosenborg style situation. It just wouldn't be interesting. But each to their own.

In regards to Monday Night; 4 Great goals, good atmosphere, controversy, 95th minute free kick goal. What more could you want in 90 minutes? (Heh, before anyone points out what I did there, I know! :( :))A victory, most definately, but I cannot say that I did not love almost every minute of it!

But none of that has made the papers because of the actions of a Shels player, an official and your manager.

Ollie isn’t holding a towel to this guys face, it is clear to see he has a hold on his camera and is trying to prevent him from doing his job.

Ollie had the nerve to accuse Bohs of being ‘small club, small mind’ because we dropped the 3 ugly sisters on the final day of last season. You lot had a flag with JEALOUS on it in May. What exactly are we supposed to be jealous

Poor Student
10/08/2005, 12:04 PM
The reaosn being we don't have someone like Sky to hype up and focus entirely in the positive of everything. They hype everything, you will never see them say anything negative about the premiership ever and it works.

Setanta take that approach to the Setanta Cup I noticed. Obviously nowhere near as repeated or forced.

EnDai
10/08/2005, 12:37 PM
But none of that has made the papers because of the actions of a Shels player, an official and your manager.

Ollie isn’t holding a towel to this guys face, it is clear to see he has a hold on his camera and is trying to prevent him from doing his job.

Ollie had the nerve to accuse Bohs of being ‘small club, small mind’ because we dropped the 3 ugly sisters on the final day of last season. You lot had a flag with JEALOUS on it in May. What exactly are we supposed to be jealous

What about all your "JUDAS" flags covering Dalymount. One is as bad as the other.

thejollyrodger
10/08/2005, 12:44 PM
Personally I think its bad for the league. I would rather see Shels doing well and push on in Europe. Same goes for any club in the EL. If CCFC knock out the swedish outfit (which they wont :rolleyes: ) it will be a great boost for the EL and Ill be first to cheer them on.

dcfcsteve
10/08/2005, 12:50 PM

That only works when you're dealing with a product that's viewed positively and/or as glamorous.

Fergie and Wenger is all part of the soap opera of the Premiership. When they do something negative, it attracts a lot of media attention but little genuine condemnation - it's all pantomime; not far off the wrestling. People love it because they love the overall product.

The same can hardly be said of the Eircom League, and you can be sure that the actions of Ollie, Fenlon and co will be reeled out at some point by a journo as yet another reason why the Eircom League is worthless and going nowhere. That's why it damages us, but not the EPL.

chippie0001
10/08/2005, 12:51 PM
What about all your "JUDAS" flags covering Dalymount. One is as bad as the other.

Just wait and you see Tolka :)

WeAreRovers
10/08/2005, 1:15 PM
I don't agree with that.

I am a Bohs fan. The Eircom League is a sham, my sole loyalties lie with Bohemians.

Insert "Rovers" for "Bohs" and I'm 100% in agreement. Anyhting else smacks of minnowism - as they like to say on gypoweb. ;)

KOH

Dodge
10/08/2005, 1:23 PM
Don't know if its good for the league but as Jason Byrne's girlfriend says in her place of work "I'm lovin' it!"

ThatGuy
10/08/2005, 1:26 PM
Don't know if its good for the league but as Jason Byrne's girlfriend says in her place of work "I'm lovin' it!"
Classic Dodge!!! :D

Schumi
10/08/2005, 2:23 PM
Probably not good for the league overall but bloody hilarious!

bohs til i die
10/08/2005, 4:35 PM

EnDai ....

you lot had a flag with 'Jealous' on it. It was aimed at us over your signing of the 3 ugly sisters. Why should we be jealous? You bring 750 to your nearest away game against the team that has been your biggest rivals over the past 5 years. Thats pathetic.

The Judas banners was nothing serious, it was all a bit of a laugh. I dont have a problem with the flag, I just dont get what we are supposed to be jealous of?

Anto McC
10/08/2005, 4:46 PM
EnDai ....

Why should we be jealous?

I think it was to do with 2 league titles on the bounce with or without those fans

I agree with Endai,I'm a Shels fan and i'm enjoying the whole lot :)

pete
10/08/2005, 5:01 PM
You bring 750 to your nearest away game against the team that has been your biggest rivals over the past 5 years. Thats pathetic.

I was at that game & i know 750 was official away support but i just couldn't see how there than many. 500 tops i'd have guessed & that would be optimistic.

TheOwl
10/08/2005, 8:31 PM
EnDai ....

you lot had a flag with 'Jealous' on it. It was aimed at us over your signing of the 3 ugly sisters. Why should we be jealous? You bring 750 to your nearest away game against the team that has been your biggest rivals over the past 5 years. Thats pathetic.

The Judas banners was nothing serious, it was all a bit of a laugh. I dont have a problem with the flag, I just dont get what we are supposed to be jealous of?

If Cork win two leagues on the bounce, do better in Europe's top competition than any other EL club in history, and then sign even one of our top players then I CERTAINLY will be jealous of them.

Sure I’m already jealous of Cork and Derry for their successes this season, it’s just human nature.

Maybe, the reason you weren't jealous is because you've never experienced such a glorious few years?

Trust me, if it happens to you, then you will be jealous when other clubs achieve something similar. We must have misread you, perhaps you are content with mediocrity?

But listen, none of the above is serious, it's all a bit of a laugh.

A face
10/08/2005, 8:35 PM
Not good for the league .... but Shels should really show some dignity and composure. They are acting like a cross between Sunday league team and a travelers wedding ... disgraceful.

Dodge
10/08/2005, 9:01 PM
do better in Europe's top competition than any other EL club in history
What's Dundalk got to do with anything?