PDA

View Full Version : Daryl Murphy

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

robbie_B
10/08/2005, 9:56 AM
http://skysports.planetfootball.com/list.asp?hlid=297904&CPID=8&CLID=&lid=3&title=Black+Cats+bag+Murphy&channel=premiership

Plastic Paddy
10/08/2005, 10:07 AM
Good luck to Joe and credit to Mick Mac for backing him. :)

:ball: PP

Qwerty
11/08/2005, 12:35 AM
Sunderland AFC & HFSP

dr_peepee
11/08/2005, 9:29 AM
I'll be hugely surprised if the move works out for him. Kelvin Davis is obviously number one there. Mart Poom when fit is also a very good and experienced keeper, and young Ben Alnwick is very highly rated up there. He's been sigend as a safety net. I think he should drop down a division or two were he's garaunteed a game.

zinedineontour
28/09/2005, 9:57 AM
Daryl Murphy played last night left back for sunderland reserves.. By all accounts he had a very good game and supplied a lot of crosses in from the left.. Good to see the lad doing well and if he can transform himself into a left back then it will give him more options.. better chance getting a game left back for sunderland as well if he develops well ..

Dawn_Run
28/09/2005, 10:12 AM
Interesting. But he's too much of a threat going forward to have him left back imo. He's well able to notch aswell.

zinedineontour
28/09/2005, 10:17 AM
Interesting. But he's too much of a threat going forward to have him left back imo. He's well able to notch aswell.

True but saw him in training for sunderland as well at left back as well and he looked canny .. Hopefully will add another string to his bow and give him a better chance of playing .. Will find it tough to get in up front at the moment ..

hoops1
28/09/2005, 10:33 AM
D Murphy at left back :eek: :confused: :mad: :eek:
That just about sums up why Sunderland are at the bottom of the league
and why Keane had such contempt for Mc Carthy

livehead1
28/09/2005, 11:37 AM
dont be a clown. sunderland and mccarthy have every right to ask a player to play anywhere. hes only a young lad and it is a club in ireland who decided that murphy was best placed to be a striker. maybe he has come over here and people have realised that at the moment he isnt best suited to being a striker. so if thats the case then what would u rather have him do....play as a left back (and well , according to most) of be classed as a striker and get a 15minute run out for the reserves every week or so.

hoops1
28/09/2005, 11:45 AM
Of Course McCarthy can play him anywhere he wants In goal if
the humour takes him.
But after seeing him playing up front and deciding to pay the money
for him, to play him full back after a few months is stupidity!
Hes an experienced u21 International striker,If Mc Carthy needed
a full back he should have bought one
He is going to do terrible damage to this lads career with this folly.
Murphy needs to gain experience playing in his proper position
Cant think of another manager who would pay money for a forward
and play him as a defender so soon!

drinkfeckarse
28/09/2005, 12:22 PM
It does seem strange so soon after buying him but a lot of managers notice little things that make them think someone can operate in a different position. Sure a lot of centre halfs started out as forwards. Sol Campbell is the obvious one that springs to mind, Ashley Cole was a winger and only started to play at left back when he came back from a loan spell at Crystal Palace.

No harm in trying it I think.

Ash
28/09/2005, 12:30 PM
Did Gary Kelly go on trails with Leeds as a striker and then in training
something was noticed and they moved full back and signed him

Shelsman
28/09/2005, 12:43 PM
This is true. He played for Home Farm as a striker. In a way a striker turned into a defender knows the tricks and turns he is likely to come up against.

Stuttgart88
28/09/2005, 12:46 PM
That's right. Wilkinson said that he felt Kelly was a reactive rather than pro-active player.

AFAIK, Mark Kennedy used to play in goal at Home Farm.

tetsujin1979
28/09/2005, 12:51 PM
Hasn't Rory Delap played every outfield position bar left full and left wing?
Alan Smith has been converted from striker to holding midfield wannabe.
So why not striker to left full?

Schumi
28/09/2005, 1:00 PM
Cant think of another manager who would pay money for a forward and play him as a defender so soon!
Gary Doherty?

Stuttgart88
28/09/2005, 1:05 PM
Hasn't Rory Delap played every outfield position bar left full and left wing?
I have a vague recollection of Delap playing for an Ireland B selection at left-full at Tolka, God knows when. So even more versatile than you think! I think it was Ireland against Ireland in some shape or form. He played upfront against Turkey in the away leg of the play-off.

Kevin Kilbane & central midfield is another :)

hoops1
28/09/2005, 1:27 PM
Cole,Campbell, G Kelly and Mark Kennedy(left goals under 15) were in there positions they play now before they Started Senior Football
None were as established as Murphy none got as far as u21 playing those positions
Doherty is neither a good defender or attacker Delap can play all positions
badly
Murphy has ernomous potential as a front man.Given proper guidance
Look whats happening to Doyle with good management
Murphy is being asked to play out of position one he never played before
and when he cant do it Mc Carthy will say he couldnt hack it and send him
back

zinedineontour
28/09/2005, 5:21 PM
D Murphy at left back :eek: :confused: :mad: :eek:
That just about sums up why Sunderland are at the bottom of the league
and why Keane had such contempt for Mc Carthy

sunderland are not bottom of the league firstly.. Murphy is a young lad and playing him at left back will toughen him up and make him a stronger player .. didnt kevin philips start out as a right back ?? Mick knows hes a forward but is trying to improve his allround game .. Good move imo ..

G-Man
28/09/2005, 11:28 PM
Jamie Carragher was a striker when he was a yoths player, and scored on his Prem debut from midfield. It happens quite a lot, players changing positions. Sure Alan Shearer had a trial with Newcastle and he played in goal.

Qwerty
29/09/2005, 12:41 AM
It'a a conspiracy I tell ya - playing Breen up front and Murphy at left back, what going on?

pete
29/09/2005, 8:50 AM
Murphy might just be playing left back for match fitness - maybe Sunderland short of defenders for that match?

hoops1
29/09/2005, 9:44 AM
Toughen him up by playing him full back!No !
Ask anyone where its tougher to play and up front is your answer.
With some big gorilla kicking lumps out of you for 90 mins
At full back chances are the winger will be quicker and trickier rather
than tough

zinedineontour
29/09/2005, 10:21 AM
Toughen him up by playing him full back!No !
Ask anyone where its tougher to play and up front is your answer.
With some big gorilla kicking lumps out of you for 90 mins
At full back chances are the winger will be quicker and trickier rather
than tough

well i think it will improve his defensive side of the game involving him in more tackles and can only be good for the lad ..

hoops1
29/09/2005, 11:23 AM
What i would be worried about is that M Mc Carthy is now doubting
his original decision to buy Murphy and is now trying to get some sort of value out of him buy playing him in a differnet position, Rather than
just letting him go
Which if is the case would be very bad for the lads career.

eirebhoy
05/11/2005, 2:00 PM
He starts up front against Arsenal today. Elliott's injured I think. They've so many injuries that Breen is in the holding role.:eek:

macdermesser
05/11/2005, 2:10 PM
Sunderland
B Alnwick, A Stubbs, G Breen, S Caldwell, N Nosworthy, D Whitehead, D Murphy, C Robinson, D Collins, A Gray, J Stead
Subs: K Davis, S Elliott, A Welsh, T Miller, A Le Tallec

Murphy has started against Arsenal .. but where is he playing? Elliot dropped for Stead (?!)

Sorry .. just saw the above post.

Is he really playing up front? Stead, Gray and Murphy? Away to Arsenal? Will be interesting to see how he gets on.

Fergie's Son
05/11/2005, 4:18 PM
3-1 to Arsenal but I have no idea how Murphy played.

Iorfa
05/11/2005, 6:14 PM
Daryl played on the left side of midfield and acquitted himself well by all accounts.

tetsujin1979
05/11/2005, 7:42 PM
Bit slow to track back in the first half, but otherwise an ok performance, probably Sunderland's best player on the day, but that doesn't say much, Toure gave him an awful run around in the first half, less so in the second

Galwayexile
06/11/2005, 7:41 AM
murphy did well against arsenal yesterday, easily sunderlands best player and should of been put up the top instead of the left sife of the attack as le tallac couldnt hold up the ball at all.Not bad for an EL player who was playing on these shores a few months ago.

Their other striker jon stead cost over a million and who looks the better player from yesterdays match.Hope mccarthy now plays him and elliot together.

OwlsFan
24/11/2005, 12:58 PM
According to the Official Owls website, there is talk of Wednesday taking Daryl Murphy on loan from Sunderland. Don't know much about him other than he scored for Sunderland reserves against Wednesday recently and he used to play for Waterford. Could end up having a strike force of Corr and Murphy.

Is he any good ?

tetsujin1979
24/11/2005, 1:00 PM
Started and played well against Arsenal recently. Heard some League 2 were looking to take him on loan too.

noby
24/11/2005, 1:09 PM
According to someone on btid he's going to the blades on loan. Either move should be good for him as he'll be getting his game anyway.

OwlsFan
24/11/2005, 2:32 PM
According to someone on btid he's going to the blades on loan. Either move should be good for him as he'll be getting his game anyway.

The Piggies have loads of strikers - let the Owls have Murphy. Last Irish striker from Sunderland wasn't a great success though - one Michael Reddy now plying his trade at Grimsby.

Yes, I remember seeming him play against Arsenal and he looked useful enough. However, with Sunderland not exactly scoring freely why would they let him go on loan ? Do players let go on loan ever really make it for the main club ?

pete
24/11/2005, 2:33 PM
Mick McCarthy seem to be trying to turn him into a winger/wingback which is very strange.

Sunderland haven't many players better than Championship level so a loan won't mean Murphy less well off.

The Owls
24/11/2005, 5:08 PM
Its official Wednesday have signed Murphy.God i hope he works out cause we are in desperate need of a decent striker.If i have to watch David Graham miss any more sitters i will go crazy.Especialy with The derby coming up soon.

noby
25/11/2005, 8:30 AM
Obviously someone on btid got his wednesdays and uniteds mixed up. Best of luck to him anyway.

Stuttgart88
25/11/2005, 9:53 AM
Its official Wednesday have signed Murphy.God i hope he works out cause we are in desperate need of a decent striker.If i have to watch David Graham miss any more sitters i will go crazy.Especialy with The derby coming up soon.
I think there's a real opening at SWFC for a forward. Great chance for Murphy. Agreed about Graham.

drinkfeckarse
25/11/2005, 12:56 PM
Is that the David Graham that signed for Torquay from Rangers? I know he scored a lot of goals for Torquay but did he not go to Wigan then last season?

The Owls
25/11/2005, 6:31 PM
Yeh Graham went to wigan last year but he got injured and we bought him for £300,000.What a waste.When Maclean and Talbot get back there will be no stopping wednesday.They have the potential to be a great partnership up front for us like Hirsty and Bright.Bring back the good oul days.Go on The Owls!

co. down green
26/11/2005, 7:08 PM
Murphy seems to have impressed on his debut

Daryl Murphy almost capped his deput for Sheffield Wednesday, after his loan move from Sunderland, with a goal after five minutes. Murphy burst through the Stoke defence only to have his shot parried away by Stoke keeper Steve Simonsen. Wednesday manager, Paul Sturrock was impressed with Murphy on his debut and is hoping for a lot more from the Ireland U21 international.

http://oneteaminireland.bravehost.com/

pete
27/11/2005, 5:04 PM
Must be in next Ireland squad now.

Dawn_Run
28/11/2005, 9:54 AM
Dont think he's under 21 anymore is he? He wasnt involved in the Cyprus v Ireland U21 game anyway.

OwlsFan
29/11/2005, 12:38 PM
Dont think he's under 21 anymore is he? He wasnt involved in the Cyprus v Ireland U21 game anyway.

Born 15/03/1983 which makes him 22.

http://www.swfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Squad/ProfilesDetail/0,,10304~20187,00.html

Hope he does well in the derby game against Sheffield United this Friday. No matter what he does for the rest of his career this will still be one of the biggest games he'll have ever played in.

Iorfa
12/02/2006, 2:33 PM
Daryl scored his first goal for Sunderland today, a last minute equalizer against Spurs having come on for the last 15 minutes. Keane scored Spurs' goal.

Congrats Daryl :)

adamcarr
12/02/2006, 2:50 PM
It was a good goal. He never gave up and got the goal in the end. I doubt it will do Sunderland much good though.

sligoman
12/02/2006, 3:24 PM
He never gave up and got the goal in the end.In fairness he was only on the pitch for 15minutes so if he had given up then it'd fairly poor.

See our International Football Consultant was at the game too:D.

zinedineontour
12/02/2006, 4:29 PM
Murphy did very well when he came on and took his goal very well ... we deserved at least a draw today much better performance ..elliott might be getting a run in the reserves on tuesday as well happy days ..

Peadar
12/02/2006, 4:54 PM
Lets not fail to acknowledge the cracking shot from Richard Dunne against Charlton. Good goal for a centre-half. Great goal for the Honeymonster. :D