PDA

View Full Version : Mickey Evans

TheJamaicanP.M.
09/08/2005, 8:32 PM
This is probably a bit of a silly thread but I couldn't be bothered doin a search on google! Anyway, I noticed that Mickey Evans scored for Plymouth in the Championship tonight, following on from his goal last Saturday. I was wondering is this the same Mickey Evans that played for Ireland a few years ago. Some fans may recall that a Mickey Evans came on as a sub against Romania at Lansdowne in our last WC qualifier in October 1997. He only played 15 minutes and never played for us again. He made a big impact one season at Southampton, scoring a flurry of goals to keep them in the Premiership. Same player??

Plastic Paddy
09/08/2005, 9:07 PM
One and the same, JPM. He scored against my old club tonight. Typical. :o

:ball: PP

Stuttgart88
10/08/2005, 8:58 AM
He & Jon Macken should share their international experiences over a drink sometime. Maybe they should ask Jon Goodman along too.

Plastic Paddy
10/08/2005, 9:04 AM
Add Owen Coyle to the party (he's still banging them in at the age of 105, btw). Eight minutes only. What a waste.

OwlsFan
10/08/2005, 10:14 AM
Add Owen Coyle to the party (he's still banging them in at the age of 105, btw). Eight minutes only. What a waste.

And add Alan Mahon and Butler to that illustrious troupe . Two of the worst 1 game performances I ever witnessed.

I thought Owen Coyle played more than 8 minutes. Must check Google.

Plastic Paddy
10/08/2005, 10:36 AM
I thought Owen Coyle played more than 8 minutes. Must check Google.

It was four minutes according to this report (http://www.clubi.ie/fpage/history/games/94holvire.html).

---

HOLLAND 0-1 IRELAND (source: www.clubi.ie)
Ireland beat their Dutch opponents for the first time in 14 years with a surprise win during their buildup to the 94 World Cup finals. Both sides had their problems in the buildup to the match with Ireland missing a number of key players while the Dutch camp appeared to be tearing itself apart with arguments between Ruud Gullit and the rest of the squad.
The match itself saw Ireland play some good football not normally associated with Jack Charlton's teams. The visitors cut through the Dutch along the flanks and should have taken the lead early on when captain Andy Townsend had a great chance in front of goal but could only shoot straight at Ed de Goey in goal.
The only goal came 10 minutes into the second period when Ronnie Whelan combined well to give the relativly easy task of shooting home from five yards to Tommy Coyne of Scottish side Motherwell. Late on Marc Overmars hit the crossbar with a fierce shot but Ireland held on for a well deserved victory.

Ireland: (5-4-1) Bonner (Celtic); Kelly (Leeds United), Moran (Blackburn Rovers), Babb (Coventry City), Phelan (Manchester City); McGoldrick (Arsenal), Whelan (Liverpool), Townsend (Aston Villa) capt, Sheridan (Sheffield Wednesday), Staunton (Aston Villa); Coyne (Motherwell) Subs: McAteer (Bolton Wanderers) for McGoldrick (71 mins), McLoughlin (Portsmouth) for Phelan (84 mins), Coyle (Bolton Wanderers) for Coyne (86 mins)
Goal: IRE: Coyne (55 mins)

paul_oshea
10/08/2005, 10:52 AM
"source: www.clubi.ie)"

they were the first crowd i got on the internet, nearly ten years ago now! :)
they had the setup on black disk with orange and blue background and orange writing

Plastic Paddy
10/08/2005, 5:50 PM
Edit - thread split and moved to off-topic, to save everyone else the bother of reading the digression... :D PP