PDA

View Full Version : When did that happen

Dyl10
09/08/2005, 12:45 PM
I was just looking at the premeir division standings on 11 a side and I realised Longford are 4th :eek: ! When the **** did that happen :confused:

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 12:53 PM
Over the weekend. Looks like with all the accusations of being hapy with 'mid-table medicrity' maybe other fans have actually convinced themselves it's true.

Dyl10
09/08/2005, 12:58 PM
Over the weekend. Looks like with all the accusations of being hapy with 'mid-table medicrity' maybe other fans have actually convinced themselves it's true.

Yeh and maybe your fans are eating there words about sacking mathews

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 1:04 PM
Yeh and maybe your fans are eating there words about sacking mathews
I don't think there were that many calling for his head.

Cosmo
09/08/2005, 1:07 PM
Longford are a decent side and deserve where they are at the moment. Can't stand other supporters crying over them playing very cautiously at times - thats part of football and if thats the way they have to play to get results in particular games so be in.

Dyl10
09/08/2005, 1:23 PM
I don't think there were that many calling for his head.

Well after the game in europe there were quite a few

patsh
09/08/2005, 1:24 PM
Longford are a decent side .
Agreed, I just wish their own manager realised it....:rolleyes:

Dyl10
09/08/2005, 1:32 PM

Well i think there an ok side but I dont think there starting 11 is a top 5 side so then what else got them there? there manager maybe?

Slash/ED
09/08/2005, 1:34 PM
The season isn't over yet, talking about managers 'getting them into fourth' is a bit pre mature.

Poor Student
09/08/2005, 1:34 PM

What more can they achieve than remaining in both cups and being 4th? Yes they could have progressed one more round in Europe but that was a freak result.

Maz
09/08/2005, 1:35 PM
The season isn't over yet, talking about managers 'getting them into fourth' is a bit pre mature.

Agree....its great to be in 4th and I'm delighted with it but job now is to keep getting points and maintaining top half table status.....

And possibly hang onto a cup or too if possible ;)

Dyl10
09/08/2005, 1:37 PM

But they are in fourth and we are well into the season! I dont think they will finish there at all but you have to give them and the manager credit for getting them there even if the season hasn't finished

Slash/ED
09/08/2005, 1:39 PM
But they are in fourth and we are well into the season! I dont think they will finish there at all but you have to give them and the manager credit for getting them there even if the season hasn't finished

I'll give credit based on where they finish espically keeping in mind Bohs are one point behind them with a game in hand.

Poor Student
09/08/2005, 1:40 PM
I'll give credit based on where they finish espically keeping in mind Bohs are one point behind them with a game in hand.

Farrelly is out for two months and their form has taken a little dent as of late. I'm not so sure Bohs have the depth of squad to pull themselves up for the end of the season.

Longfordian
09/08/2005, 1:45 PM
Our domestic form has been very good lately. One loss in 17 league and cup games, would be hoping to finish fourth or fifth and I think we will if we add a few goals. Second tightest defence at the moment.

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 1:49 PM
This is the way i see what is going on in the club at the moment with regard to ambition or long term strategy, or whatever you want to call it, of the senior team.

Since promotion to the Premier in 2000 we have been aiming to achieve and maintain status as a solid premier-class team which, when the right time comes, will be fully capable of setting out each season with winning multiple trophies as its season goal.

The trophies within easiest grasp of a club of newly promoted LTFC's stature are the cups. They require an ability to beat any of the league clubs 'on the day' and, of course, a bit of luck. Tactics will usually include a much tighter gameplan, less flamboyant than certain teams playing in the league, where a loss will not mean exit from the competition. Our cup succes over the last few seasons is well documented.

In my opinion, no club with a first team not comparable to those current ones of Cork City or Shelbourne are going to win any league championships. We don't have a first team of that quality. We are forced by virtue of squad strength to often apply those tactics that are better suited to cup ties. If it means maintaining stable postions in the league and another season of exposure to top flight football season after season then surely it will help develop the squad in terms of experience (as long as they are young and as long as they stay with the club).

In our managers since promotion we had Stephen Kenny, Martin Lawlor and now Alan Matthews. Kenny had a team (which included a demon striker in Keith O'Connor) which was an equivalent of a Shels or Cork of the first division. His managerial style suited players who were justifiably confident in their superiority to the opposition. This superiority was lost in the Premier and i think that's why Kenny left for Bohs. His style wasn't what Longford needed any more. Lawlor tried to go for more of the same, being a bit bullheaded along the way and ultimately came up against a brick wall. Matthews, however, seems to appreciate how if we are smart about it we can keep up with the big dogs and reap the longer term benefits of sitting in their wake. Eventually, the move will have to come from Longford and we will have to up a gear and quit the underdog mantra and that needs to come in the near future, imo.

Since 2000, we've maintained a solid enough place in the Premier, no longer overly worrying about keeping out of the relegation zone. We have further developed a fine home for ourselves. We have played in Europe for three seasons. We're making a bit of a balls of that but had our first win this season and I'm sure will learn from drastic errors made. I can see where other fans are annoyed at the style of play often employed. I don't agree with their opinion on it necessarily though. Each team comes to each game with a plan of action. It's up to each team to undermine the other's, not bow down to it. We've been successful in that at least. We've a lot to be content with at the club. Evidence of complacency has shown up on (rare) occasions but that's something all clubc have to deal with. I reckon we are still approaching, in good time, the time where we have depth to be starting each season with multiple trophies, including the league title, in our sights.

Roverstillidie
09/08/2005, 2:44 PM
From 2000 -2003 or so, Longford were the model held up as how to run an Irish club, and rightfully so. Stadium being develloped, young ambitious manager running a decent side on a modest budget.
I wouldnt say the wheels have come off, but it was inevitible the progress would slow, especially on the stadium front. The stewarding situation up there needs to be sorted asap, and some facilities for away fans would be nice too. Longford have to adjust their mentality up a division and make that leap from the mid table comfort zone to challengers. Winning the cups was a vital part of this. The momentum needs to keep going, or they could slip back very hard and fast. Look at Waterford.
Have crowds increased recently, especially since the cup wins?

patsh
09/08/2005, 2:50 PM
What more can they achieve than remaining in both cups and being 4th? Yes they could have progressed one more round in Europe but that was a freak result.
I know what you are saying, but they have some excelent players and an overall good squad, most of whom can play some decent football.
However, their manager obviously believes in "fear football": so afraid of losing that they will do anything to avoid being beaten.
Why doesn't he try to win games?
Anytime I've seen Longford play under that creep, they are sent out to avoid defeat, not to try to win the game.

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 2:54 PM
Crowds have fallen off a bit as far as i gather.

Another point i meant to make when starting the above post is that i am very glad that we didn't pour stupid/unreasonable amounts of money into either the stadium or even making teh club fulltime. Bad financial management has had a detrimental effect on a few decent NL clubs already.

Dyl10
09/08/2005, 2:55 PM
I know what you are saying, but they have some excelent players and an overall good squad, most of whom can play some decent football.
However, their manager obviously believes in "fear football": so afraid of losing that they will do anything to avoid being beaten.
Why doesn't he try to win games?
Anytime I've seen Longford play under that creep, they are sent out to avoid defeat, not to try to win the game.

Even if it is crap football they play it makes little differance if it is effective and they get results! So why fix it if its not broken?

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 2:57 PM
So why fix it if its not broken?
It won't need fixing but it will need changing in the near future. Critics are correct in suggesting the club cannot carry on indefinitely as it is if it wants to be successful. Where i disagree with them is that we are wrong to be doing it at the moment.

patsh
09/08/2005, 2:57 PM
Even if it is crap football they play it makes little differance if it is effective and they get results! So why fix it if its not broken?
Thats the point, it is crap football. Very, very few people want to watch the kind off sh*te Longford churn out.
It might be great for their own fans, but it's hardly an inducement to anyone else to watch it.
They get found out very quickly in Europe, so maybe it does need fixing.

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 3:00 PM
Thats the point, it is crap football. Very, very few people want to watch the kind off sh*te Longford churn out.

In fairness Patsh we have put up some good displays. Waterford and Shamrock Rovers away were good games for us this season. The essence of my point is that we would be over presumptuous to try to maintain that style of play against the likes of yourselves.

Dyl10
09/08/2005, 3:01 PM
It might be great for their own fans, but it's hardly an inducement to anyone else to watch it.
They get found out very quickly in Europe, so maybe it does need fixing.

Well i think your wrong! Maybe its just my opinion. I doubt longford town or their fans care what other clubs think as long they are succesful. So are you saying longford should change there style of play because other fans want them to? :rolleyes:

patsh
09/08/2005, 3:09 PM
The essence of my point is that we would be over presumptuous to try to maintain that style of play against the likes of yourselves.
Why?
Because your manager is afraid of losing, thats why.
Those players and team CANNOT progress if the manager beats it into them that the best they can hope for against City or $hel$ or whoever is to hang on for a draw. Surely you can see that this is a vote of no confidence in his own player's ability?

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 3:21 PM

It's also possible that informed decisions are being made as regards how we should play going into those games. It has got us a win and a draw from out last two meetings with Cork. Just because you haven't seen us go out and get thrashed in Cork doesn't mean it wouldn't happen if we applied different tactics.

Surely you can see that this is a vote of no confidence in his own player's ability?
I look at it as playing to your strengths. The team as a whole is not as good as some other teams in the league. Simple as. Doesn't mean we can't get results when they're there for the taking. We don't always play the boring football (because that's what it is - as far as i'm concerned, calling it sh!te is unfair when it gets results) you talk about.

It's very easy, might i add, to sit on your cosy perch at the top giving off about other teams and their managers, but it may be worth remembering that each club has their own battle to fight. I honestly think you and others are being very unbalanced in your criticism given our achievements each season.

Dyl10
09/08/2005, 3:21 PM
Why?
Those players and team CANNOT progress if the manager beats it into them that the best they can hope for against City or $hel$ or whoever is to hang on for a draw. Surely you can see that this is a vote of no confidence in his own player's ability?

That is a ridiculous post! most teams when they play the top 2 teams hope to hang on for a draw :rolleyes: