PDA

View Full Version : McAteer criticised over penalty nightmare

sligoman
09/08/2005, 12:17 AM
Former Irish international Jason McAteer missed a crucial spot kick for Tranmere Rovers on Saturday afternoon – and then shipped criticism from manager Brian Little over his decision to take the ball after the penalty was awarded.

McAteer’s side fell to an opening day 1-0 defeat at the hands of Swansea City in Wales.

But it could have been different had Trigger’s kick not been saved by Swans keeper Willy Gueret – with manager Little insisting that summer signing Chris Greenacre should have been the one to step forward.

After the game, the Rovers boss said: “I don’t know what happened because I assumed Chris would be taking it.

“I hadn’t spelled it out to them and I think Chris stepped down when he saw Jason take the ball.

“I’m not going to say Jason won’t take the penalties again because Ryan Taylor was one of my best players and he missed two last year.

“But I’d hope the man I’d brought in to score goals won’t give up such an easy chance next time. As it worked out, missing that was a massive blow for us.”

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/acrossthewater/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=18591

Baker
09/08/2005, 1:50 PM
This shows a complete lack of responsibility on Little's part. He didnt tell anyone that Greenacre was to take the penalties and then rants to the press when McAteer takes it instead! Does he expect the players to be mind readers? Not good management at all and Little might be better served looking at his own failings with communicating this first.