PDA

View Full Version : Keane to miss Italy friendly

thejollyrodger
08/08/2005, 3:56 PM
Keane to miss Italy friendly
08/08/2005 - 16:17:44

Manchester United midfielder Roy Keane will not play in Republic of Ireland’s friendly against Italy at Lansdowne Road next week.

The 35-year-old missed out on Manchester United’s pre-season tour to Asia with a hamstring injury but played in the recent friendly against Belgian side Antwerp and is understood to be fit for the start of the Barclays Premiership season.

Having returned to international action following retirement after the 2002 World Cup, Keane has a vital role in his country’s current qualification campaign and Brian Kerr’s side have a good chance to reach Germany next year.

“There is a crowded fixture list at this time of the year – it is better that we definitely have Roy available for the vital qualifying tie against France in Dublin on September 7,” said Kerr.

Following victory against the Faroe Islands in June, Ireland are top of Group Four, although France have a game in hand.

The clash against Raymond Domenech’s side has added significance following the decisions of Claude Makelele, Lilian Thuram and, in particular, Zinedine Zidane to return to the international scene.

Like Keane, Zidane is an icon in his own country and the veteran pair look set to face each other in an encounter which could decide the outcome of the group, with Switzerland and Israel also in contention.

Richard Dunne is included in the squad for the Italy clash despite a foot injury which looks to have ruled him out of the start of Manchester City’s Barclays Premiership campaign.

Steve Finnan of Liverpool and Sunderland’s Gary Breen also return to the squad for the Azzurri clash on August 17.

“This game against Italy, one of the aristocrats of world football, is still of vital importance in the build-up to the France game and our final two qualifying matches away to Cyprus and home to Switzerland,” Kerr added.

“Any one of four teams can still win automatic qualification to the finals - ourselves, France, Switzerland and Israel.

“That’s how tight it is. I am not surprised French boss Raymond Domenech wants all his best players available for the game in Dublin.

“But right now I am more concerned about our match against Italy and keeping our unbeaten home record.”

No real surprises though :rolleyes:

pete
08/08/2005, 4:20 PM
No real surprises though :rolleyes:

Why don't Keane & Kerr come out & just tell us all what we know already - Roy won't play in any friendlies.

eirebhoy
08/08/2005, 4:54 PM
Why don't Keane & Kerr come out & just tell us all what we know already - Roy won't play in any friendlies.
No need. Last friendly during this WC campaign. :)

NeilMcD
08/08/2005, 5:34 PM
Cause they would be lying if they said that, He has played against, Romanica, Bulgaria, Celtic, and maybe once more since Kerr has taken charge.

pineapple stu
08/08/2005, 6:54 PM
I think it was pointed out when Keane came back that he wouldn't be playing all the friendlies anyway. No problems with the decision at all.

Poor Student
08/08/2005, 6:56 PM
I think it was pointed out when Keane came back that he wouldn't be playing all the friendlies anyway. No problems with the decision at all.

Did he not in fact claim there would be no special treatment and he'd be trying to play in all games? Maybe I'm wrong though.

jbyrne
08/08/2005, 9:38 PM
Did he not in fact claim there would be no special treatment and he'd be trying to play in all games? Maybe I'm wrong though.

i think a 35 year old who could have to play up to 5 league matches and 2 european matches in the four weeks before we play france should get special treatment. its only a friendly and the fresher roy is for france the better for us. its common sense, thats all

tricky_colour
09/08/2005, 12:10 AM

So who cares? Even if that was true?
Certaintly not me.

Are you trying to have a go at Roy? What purpose does it serve?
Look at all the French players who retired (Zidane etc..)
did they get the stick Roy gets?

As long as he plays in the important games I couldn't give
tuppence what he does in the friendlies. He won't get injured
pushing a shopping trolley around Tesco's (hopefully).

Doee he shop at Tescos by the way? :p

Colbert Report
09/08/2005, 1:03 AM
Roy Keane is 33, not 35. He turns 34 tomorrow

Superhoops
09/08/2005, 6:29 AM
....As long as he plays in the important games I couldn't give tuppence what he does in the friendlies....
It is not just about him playing, it is about him turning in a 10/10 performance. So far in the WCQ's he was been ordinary, especially against Israel away. Maybe the France game is where he will turn it on. If he does not do somethng special in the France and Swiss game you have to wonder what was the point of bringing him back.

jbyrne
09/08/2005, 8:21 AM
Roy Keane is 33, not 35. He turns 34 tomorrow

oh, in that case he should definately be forced to play :rolleyes:

gspain
09/08/2005, 8:38 AM
It would be daft to play him in the game. He will probably not travel to hungary either if Manyoo win by enough tonight.

I'll be there next wednesday as always but it is Mickey Mouse. France is all that matters.

Eire06
09/08/2005, 8:46 AM
Cause they would be lying if they said that, He has played against, Romanica, Bulgaria, Celtic, and maybe once more since Kerr has taken charge.
Played against China too remember came on as a sub!!

Everyone knows Keane is gettin on a bit and is struggling with fitness and becoming more and more prone to injurys in the last 1-2 years, give the fella a break so he misses the Italy match does it mean he'll give less a performance against France? NO

Anyway I think the friendlys should be used to try other players who don't regularly get into the first 11, like Kavanagh to play Keanes role in mid field and a bit of experimenting.. So we don't really need him at them

gustavo
09/08/2005, 8:48 AM
fair enough yea then that you dont want him to risk injuries by playing him in friendlies , is that because of his importance? then why play robbie and duffer then . his age? why does kenny cunningham have to play in them then :confused:

Eire06
09/08/2005, 8:55 AM
fair enough yea then that you dont want him to risk injuries by playing him in friendlies , is that because of his importance? then why play robbie and duffer then . his age? why does kenny cunningham have to play in them then :confused:

Cunningham plays for Birmingham City!!

Roy has a lot of european games coming up for Man United and has the league starting so his work load will be a bit heavier than Kenny's..

As for Duff and Keane they are much younger than Roy and fitter.. They are well able for all the matches, whereas Roy needs to be rested in whatever way possible before the France match

It is partially about his importance and partially that he might not be able to handle the work load, so if he can pull out of a friendly that he is not really needed for so be it..

NeilMcD
09/08/2005, 9:29 AM
Roy Keane has played in four or five friendlies since coming back to play for Ireland so I dont see what the problem is. I thought it was important that he did play in them so he could be bedded back into the squad and to the pattern of play. Now that has been done I think it is wise that if Man Utd are going to use him sparingly so should Ireland. I would have liked Brian Kerr to use the opportunity to bring in maybe one or 2 players like Stephen kelly and give them a taste of international football or even the senior set up. However We need Keane for France and thats what is important and he is probbly better off in Manchester getting treatment than he would be in Dublin playing the Italians.

OwlsFan
09/08/2005, 10:23 AM
This age thing is an excuse. He did his best many times to avoid friendlies and I believe is quoted as saying "I don't do friendlies". Personally I think this attitude sucks (to use an Americanism) and always has done. Football is a team game and all players should be treated equally. Why should one player be absolved from playing a game and the rest oblidged to turn up. You are saying to the other players, you are inferior and are being treated differently.

You just have to look at the stats to see how often he has missed games:

65 Roy Keane (1991-2005)
62 Gary Breen (1996-2004),
62 Kevin Kilbane (1997-2005)
60 Robbie Keane (1998-2005)

Robbie Keane now almost has as many Irish games played as him!!

That said we have to grin and bear it because he's crucial to our cause just as if Duffer or Robbie said screw most of the friendlies and didn't play.

NeilMcD
09/08/2005, 10:40 AM
Well Mourinhio was on the other night and he was saying a fundamental change in managing players has happened over the last few years in that you dont treat all players the same. it is imperative that you have one way to deal with one player and another to deal with a different player. I think Brian Clough was ahead of the game in this area and he used to treat players differently depending on the circumstances. It is a simplistic formula to treat all players the same but it does not work successfully in my opinion. All players have different circumstance and what you have to do is make sure that you treat all players fairly. But a blanket rule for all players regardless of circumstances is old fashioned and does not work any more. I dont think any of the top managers would subscribe to the old fashioned method.

As I said before Keane has not missed many games since coming back so I dont see the problem here. Its not as if he is been rewarded and the other players are been punished. They want to play for their country, its just decidiing what is best. I think Keane if he was fit and well and was aged 27 and playing for Brian kerr would want to come over and play but in this case he is better off in Manchester been treated for his hamstring.

gustavo
09/08/2005, 12:29 PM
Good points lads , i retract my misgivings,re Clough one example of his unique style of man managment in relation to young players was to punch Roy Keane in the gut after a stray back pass when he just started with Forest. cant imagine Kerr or Ferguson doing that now :D

NeilMcD
09/08/2005, 2:34 PM
Scotland will be without midfielders Barry Ferguson and Darren Fletcher when they line up to play Austria next week.
Manager Walter Smith has decided to leave out any players whose teams have Champions League or Uefa Cup qualifiers either side of the friendly in Graz.

Nigel Quashie, Paul Dickov and Robert Douglas return to the squad, having recovered from injury.

The match is being used as a warm-up for September's World Cup qualifiers with Italy and Norway.

Ferguson's Ibrox team-mates Ian Murray and Steven Thompson are rested, as are Everton duo James McFadden and David Weir.

Dundee United are involved in the Uefa Cup, so there is no place for Stevie Crawford or Lee Miller.

"I just felt myself that it was more important for Scottish clubs and those others to qualify for European tournaments than an international friendly," said Smith.

"For those clubs involved in those games, I felt it was a bit unfair to take a chance on those important players in the group.

"The European coefficient is a big thing in Scottish football and we want to keep up that progress.

"So I felt it was unfair to take players out from Rangers, Dundee United, Manchester United and Everton when it is effectively a friendly international."

Hibs striker Derek Riordan is the only uncapped player in Smith's 20-man pool and is in line to feature.

Riordan's club-mate Gary Caldwell is out of action after fracturing ribs and puncturing his lung at the weekend.

BBC Scotland will broadcast the game live from the Arnold Schwarzenegger Stadium.

Scotland squad: Douglas (Leicester), Gordon (Hearts), Marshall (Celtic), Alexander (Preston), Anderson (Aberdeen), Caldwell (Sunderland), Dailly (West Ham), McNamara (Wolves), Pressley (Hearts), Webster (Hearts), Hartley (Hearts), Hughes (Portsmouth), O'Neil (Preston), Quashie (Southampton), Severin (Aberdeen), Dickov (Blackburn), McCulloch (Wigan), Miller (Wolves), O'Connor (Hibs), Riordan (Hibs).

BrAyCMilan
09/08/2005, 4:44 PM
This age thing is an excuse. He did his best many times to avoid friendlies and I believe is quoted as saying "I don't do friendlies". Personally I think this attitude sucks (to use an Americanism) and always has done. Football is a team game and all players should be treated equally. Why should one player be absolved from playing a game and the rest oblidged to turn up. You are saying to the other players, you are inferior and are being treated differently.

You just have to look at the stats to see how often he has missed games:

65 Roy Keane (1991-2005)
62 Gary Breen (1996-2004),
62 Kevin Kilbane (1997-2005)
60 Robbie Keane (1998-2005)

Robbie Keane now almost has as many Irish games played as him!!

That said we have to grin and bear it because he's crucial to our cause just as if Duffer or Robbie said screw most of the friendlies and didn't play.

Who would you rather have in your side, Roy Keane or Gary Breen, Roy Keane or Kevin Kilbane?????

Superhoops
09/08/2005, 8:15 PM
Who would you rather have in your side, Roy Keane or Gary Breen, Roy Keane or Kevin Kilbane?????
Unless Roy ups his game considerably to what he produced so far, I would rather have KK. In this campaign so far Kilbane has been more effective than Keane. There is still time for Roy to produce a big game and that has to be against France. If we lose against France, IMHO, third place beckons.