PDA

View Full Version : Squad announced for Italy clash

sligoman
08/08/2005, 2:48 PM
Brian Kerr has announced a 23-man squad for the friendly with Italy at Lansdowne Road on Wednesday week.

Steve Finnan, Gary Breen and Richard Dunne, who missed the World Cup qualifiers against Israel and Faroe Islands, return after injury.

Robbie Keane and Andy O'Brien, who missed the Faroes game through injury and suspension respectively, also return to the fold. Midfielder Roy Keane does not feature in the squad.

Kerr sees the game as the perfect warm-up ahead of bigger tests in the autumn.

The Dubliner said: 'This game, against one of the aristocrats of international football, will provide ideal preparation for the important World Cup qualifiers against France, Cyprus and Switzerland over the next two months.'

The team will assemble in Dublin on Sunday afternoon in preparation for the clash with the Italians.

Ireland (v Italy): Given, Kenny, Colgan, Cunningham, Breen, O'Brien, O'Shea, Carr, Harte, Finnan, Dunne, S Reid, Miller, Holland, Kavanagh, Kilbane, A Reid, Quinn, Duff, Doherty, Elliot, Morrison, Robbie Keane.

drinkfeckarse
08/08/2005, 3:16 PM
Thought the Honey Monster was injured and out for a few months with his foot :confused:

KK77
08/08/2005, 3:21 PM
Why no Roy Keane?

Sliogán Dóite
08/08/2005, 3:25 PM
Roy Keane doesn't do friendlies.........well,usually not...

tetsujin1979
08/08/2005, 3:35 PM
No real shocks there, apart from Roy missing out, AFAIK Dunne will not be fit, so expect McCarthy to get a call up, Cunningham isn't 100% either

Stuttgart88
08/08/2005, 4:07 PM
Colgan. Waste of a squad place that could go to someone needing experience like Stephen Kelly. Big Jack used only ever use 2 'keepers.

supasparx
08/08/2005, 4:15 PM
Colgan. Waste of a squad place that could go to someone needing experience like Stephen Kelly. Big Jack used only ever use 2 'keepers.

Or McGeady, surely he's worthy of a 'friendly squad'

jbyrne
08/08/2005, 4:49 PM
Or McGeady, surely he's worthy of a 'friendly squad'

it pains me to say it but i think mcGeady has gone backwards recently. hopefully its only short term

eirebhoy
08/08/2005, 4:52 PM
it pains me to say it but i think mcGeady has gone backwards recently. hopefully its only short term
Agreed, McGeady has been poor since Christmas.

NeilMcD
08/08/2005, 5:39 PM
It looks like Harte has kept Maybury out of the squad. Hopefully if we qualify Stephen Kelly will push for a squad place with the friendlies next year.

Stuttgart88
09/08/2005, 11:15 AM
I wonder has Mark Kennedy been considered as a left-back option at any stage by Kerr. I think that's where Hoddle has been playing him.