PDA

View Full Version : Aertel's EL focus-Capital Grants

sligoman
08/08/2005, 2:46 PM
The recent confirmation that a total of 16 eircom League clubs are to receive Sports Capital Grants is great news for the clubs involved.

After funding was suspended last year due to questions being asked over previous allocations, this turn of events is a welcome boost. This is particularly so, considering how senior soccer lags behind other, lower profile and less popular sports when it comes to funding.

With the UEFA Club Licensing system now a reality, funds are available for clubs who have firm plans on the table.

The allocation to eircom League clubs was E5.2million.

The cash means that many soccer grounds around the country will see major construction in the months and years ahead.

As mentioned last week, the Munster FA have received a grant and it is hoped that this will facilitate the construction of a new stand at Turner's Cross in Cork to replace 'The Shed'.

Work is ongoing at the new stadium in Athlone and project manager Tom Burke said last week that their windfall is earmarked for the main stand.

Over in the west, Sligo Rovers also received good news when the grants were announced with E400,000 heading to The Showgrounds.

Ray Gallagher, Chairman of the Sligo Rovers Development Programme, told Sligorovers.com: 'This is a major boost to our development programme.

'It will enable us to expedite this work and also to ensure it is carried out to the highest standard.'

This follows the recent installation of the all-weather facility, which will also boost the club's revenue potential.

As well as this years allocation, the E2million allocated to St Pats and Dundalk in 2002 can now be drawn down. This will certainly come in useful for both sides.

The installation of the artificial surface at Dundalk's Oriel Park is nearing completion and the club should be back home by the end of the month.

The general improvement works that are ongoing will result in a totally new look venue that the club and supporters will be proud of.

St Pat's still have plans for a stand at the Inchicore end of Richmond Park, an area of the ground that really does need something done to it.

When Celtic visited for a friendly in the mid-1990s, the match programme included an artist's impression of a 'Millennium Stand' which was planned for that end.

Nothing ever came of that for various reasons.

Hopefully there will be better news for the Supersaints soon.

A face
08/08/2005, 2:57 PM
I have to say ... the eL focus this year is a good effort on aertels behalf. Credit where its due to be fair !!

thejollyrodger
08/08/2005, 3:03 PM
Fair play to Aertel for doing the whole EL focus. I might even send them an email.

Its good to see the capital grants going ahead again but the money isnt exactly massive. 5.2 million divided by 16 ? Still its better than nothing :D :D

Roverstillidie
08/08/2005, 4:02 PM
is there a full break down anywhere?

A face
08/08/2005, 4:07 PM
is there a full break down anywhere?

Not that i know of .... i wonder is there anything on www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie) ??

thejollyrodger
08/08/2005, 4:28 PM
Not that i know of .... i wonder is there anything on www.fai.ie (http://www.fai.ie) ??

LOL :D