PDA

View Full Version : Friendlies

niamh
04/04/2002, 12:53 PM
What sort of friendlies are we looking at to warm up the for next season, given that we're not playing in Europe for the first time in years???

Colm
04/04/2002, 1:11 PM
Brian Lennox has stated his wish to take the club on a pre-season tour of the english midlands. This would incorporate a match against Leicester and 2 other midlands clubs. As far as I know no details of dates etc. have been finalised yet.

ccfcman
04/04/2002, 1:35 PM
always a sweede!

niamh
05/04/2002, 2:50 PM
eh right...what about matches in Ireland?

dalo
11/04/2002, 9:38 AM
i expect it will be rockmount and youghal utd (groan)

Pablo
11/04/2002, 9:47 AM
Dont forget the pre-season training camp in Kerry!

niamh
11/04/2002, 9:47 AM
Woohoo!!! really looking forward to those.

Jim Smith
11/04/2002, 11:18 AM
....I'd like to see them play Swansea. Much better (IMHO) preparation for the season than a game against Celtic or Leicester who don't take the game seriously.

Pablo
11/04/2002, 11:20 AM
Plus Swansea are sh!t! take it from me!

Éanna
11/04/2002, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
Dont forget the pre-season training camp in Kerry!
Yeah, how could any team start a season in the right frame of mind without thumping tralee dynamoes?!

pete
11/04/2002, 1:30 PM
Originally posted by Jim Smith
....I'd like to see them play Swansea. Much better (IMHO) preparation for the season than a game against Celtic or Leicester who don't take the game seriously.

I agree. I never go to friendlies with the big clubs. At least with clubs similar to your own standard you get a somewaht competitive game.

btw won't it be hard to get pre season friendlies in June given the early start to the league?

patsh
11/04/2002, 1:53 PM
btw won't it be hard to get pre season friendlies in June given the early start to the league?
Agree with you there, Pete. It may come down to "Premier Division" vs "First Div" games.
I'm sure Gunther could also get his schoolboys to show their skills against the mighty City.................;)

ccfcman
11/04/2002, 2:31 PM
mega boredom though

Colm
12/04/2002, 5:27 PM
Originally posted by Pablo
Plus Swansea are sh!t! take it from me! That may be true, but still they beat us three summers in a row, which I consider to be pretty damn embarrasing.

Colm
12/04/2002, 6:14 PM
I would love if they go on the tour to Leicester. I think a lot of city fans would travel, I certainly would. We would have a laugh following City accross England.

Shelsman
13/04/2002, 9:16 AM
Originally posted by COLM
That may be true, but still they beat us three summers in a row, which I consider to be pretty damn embarrasing.

This is true, as sceptics will point to results like that. Maybe the City players don't try against Swansea, but you can be damn sure they'll try thier best against Celtic etc and give a good account of themselves.
This well as earning good money for the club and maybe attract a few more fans.

Jim Smith
13/04/2002, 10:32 AM
Believe me Shelsman, the friendly against Celtic was of very little use to the TEAM and I don't know how many new fans or money it made either. I believe Celtic did very well out of it.

Swansea may not be the best team in the world but the were strong and physical and would have reminded the players that the season was soon to be apon them. This season against Longford they looked like they didn't realise that the season had started. Much better to play a team that City will beat if the raise their game a bit rather than someone like Celtic who, with the best will in the world, just don't take CCFC seriously.

Not glamorous games, but practical games are whats needed.

I just feel that all of the time and effort last year went into the Celtic game and nothing was left to prepare for the season.

Éanna
13/04/2002, 1:26 PM
I just feel that all of the time and effort last yaer went into the Cletic game and nothing was left to prepare for the season.
Yeah, sure we had to travel to latvia and lose to qualify for it!

Shelsman
15/04/2002, 4:05 PM
Much better to play a team that City will beat if the raise their game a bit rather than someone like Celtic who, with the best will in the world, just don't take CCFC seriously.

Yes but didn't Swansea beat ye three seasons in a row???

pete
15/04/2002, 5:42 PM
Originally posted by Shelsman
Yes but didn't Swansea beat ye three seasons in a row???

I'm not sure but if they did it was on ly becuase they already had a few weeks pre season training behind them whereas city would have been lucky to have aweek training done.

We did beat the mighty Wrexham once though & pre season is about gettinga competitive game to get fittest up more than just winning games.....

Snatch
15/04/2002, 8:20 PM
I saw City play Sansea in a 99 preseaso game. We had a full team out and were played off the park. Sansea were bigger, stronger, fitter, more skilled, better style, more composed. If you pardon the pun they were in a different league. Even Ollie C was beaten to everyball (are you watching $helsman?;) )

This is a sad statement to make, but thats how it was. As much as I love the Eircom League I believe that the standard of football is very low.

clarke
15/04/2002, 10:31 PM
Will the fact that the League starts early make it harder to ge friendlies- we would have to play them in June.
Also the world cup will rule out a number of internationals teams from visiting the cross!!

James
16/04/2002, 6:03 AM
yea it probably would if we were going for big friendlies but the lads will prob only play cobh and UCC and rockmount anyway..so no bothers ever getting a game with them

pete
16/04/2002, 9:01 AM
I can't agree I ever saw Swansea as motre skillful than city. Sure they were stronger & fitter but that was cos the smallest Swansea player was still over 6 foot.

Its unfair to compare fulltime players who have trained every day for 3 weeks or so against a city team with maybe a couple of training sessions comleted.