PDA

View Full Version : GAA Jealous of Irish Footballers

pete
08/08/2005, 10:01 AM
Was some sort of RTE/GAA Soccer AM type copy on sunday morning.

Heard Gaelic Footballer saying event he'd most like to be part of would be irish football team in World Cup in USA.

I've heard these comments before & i think behind every GAA player (mayeb supporter too) is a closet Football/Soccer fan.

fosterdollar
08/08/2005, 10:07 AM
I've heard these comments before & i think behind every GAA player (mayeb supporter too) is a closet Football/Soccer fan.
Don't think they're necessarily 'closet' fans. I'm sure most of them will openly admit to following sport in general, with possibly an added interest in football. Often you will find in (especially) underage match programmes that they player profiles will include a football player nominated as their 'sporting hero'.

Donal81
08/08/2005, 10:53 AM
Stupid thread

pete
08/08/2005, 11:16 AM
Well ok not closet fan. I think its thw whole international aspect of football that Gaelic footballers miss out on.

I'm often confused by official GAA line on football when loads of GAA people also attend Lansdowne & players & officials would attend World Cups.

G-Man
09/08/2005, 3:33 AM
I think its thw whole international aspect of football that Gaelic footballers miss out on.

So the international rules game against Australia isnt something that the Gaelic Footballers want?

I'm often confused by official GAA line on football

What is the official line on football? I thought there was just one official line on any foreign game and its just as simple as the GAA doesnt permit foreign games be played in their grounds.

Stupid thread. I play gaelic football and hurling, doesnt mean I cant play soccer either or go to the World Cup (which I do play and have been to). It is possible to like Gaelic football and soccer, some only like one, some like both. what difference is it? Why does there have to be a segregation between the games?

pete
09/08/2005, 9:01 AM
I thought there was just one official line on any foreign game and its just as simple as the GAA doesnt permit foreign games be played in their grounds.

Doesn't allow SOME foreign games.

Pat O' Banton
09/08/2005, 9:19 AM
Some parts of the upper echelons of the GAA seem to have a very narrow minded view on other sports, but many of the rank and file would happily watch the two main GAA sports and football (indeed the Grab All should remember the paultry crowd that attended Clones for the Donegal v Derry Ulster semi final, because it clashed with the penalties and extra time of the Ireland v Spain world cup match)

Donal81
09/08/2005, 9:46 AM
This is ridiculous stuff lads, this 'us and them' notion. I was in Croker on Sunday and I'll be in Lansdowne for the Italy game and I'm sure I'm not the only one who has the gall to enjoy both GAA and football. If you want to have a pop at the GAA, call the thread something else and talk about it properly. This is just poor.

paul_oshea
09/08/2005, 9:49 AM
how many times will you use that as an example when talking about the g.a.a :p

i love both, i love all sports, especially at international level i.e. because i love everything irish.

i will stick by this however, stuck in the hill for a dubs v meath game or any big dubs clash is far better than any other atmosphere i have experienced, because there is continuous scoring/scoring opportunities so the crowds are constantly singing or shouting etc, where as a 0-0 in soccer whether its a big game or not can be dull, as the crowd are silenced for long periods of time.

SuperDub
09/08/2005, 10:26 PM
Why can't Irish people accept most of us are sports lovers regardless whether its gaa/soccer/Rugby etc.

I hold a parnell pk Season ticket holder to see the dubs play but im also a member of the ROISSC i will be on the hill next saturday and in landsdowne next wednesday but sadly some admistrators who run the various sports in this country can't accept most of us have a respect and an interest in different sports too.

Dodge
09/08/2005, 11:02 PM
Think at the top level the GAA admin obviously see real football as a threat to them, both in playing num,bers and more importantly sponsorship money. Think you're average GAA player/supporter wouldn't have any problems with football and more than likely has an interest.

Myself I can't stand the GAA and think the sports are brutal but I'm not going to have a go at anyone for watching those games.

pete
09/08/2005, 11:09 PM
Maybe jealous a bit strong but from comments i've heard over many years they so miss out on the National support at Internationak events.

I don't think they fear us in the eL but do fear the attention internationla football gets.

gspain
10/08/2005, 7:55 AM
Why can't Irish people accept most of us are sports lovers regardless whether its gaa/soccer/Rugby etc.

I hold a parnell pk Season ticket holder to see the dubs play but im also a member of the ROISSC i will be on the hill next saturday and in landsdowne next wednesday but sadly some admistrators who run the various sports in this country can't accept most of us have a respect and an interest in different sports too.

The problem lies in the minority of administrators in one sporting organisation i.e. the GAA. These now appear to be confined to Cork and Northern Ireland.

The F.A.I. have had their problems but bigotry was never one of them.

Paulie
10/08/2005, 9:28 AM
Maybe jealous a bit strong but from comments i've heard over many years they so miss out on the National support at Internationak events.

I don't think they fear us in the eL but do fear the attention internationla football gets.

There's a bloke I know who is heavily involved in the G.A.A. In fairness to him he's not anti football (or soccer as he insists on calling it) but he will defend G.A.A. policies to the end. Even he begrudgingly admits that there is nothing that unites the entire country like our national team playing in a big qualifier, a World Cup or European Championships. There is nothing comparable for the G.A.A. to take part in. I realise that they have the compromise rules series but there is no comparision between the two in terms of importance or the effect that it has on the country.