PDA

View Full Version : Summer or What?

Redzer
08/08/2005, 9:45 AM
“As you are no doubt aware, the 2005 season marks the third season since the eircom League switched to a summer soccer programme and as such will end the three- year experimental period which was agreed when the switch was decided upon.
At its meeting of July 11th, the eircom League Board of Control decided that it would seek submissions from all clubs relating to the timing, structure and format of the 2006 and subsequent seasons in advance of any decisions being taken in relation to next season and following seasons.”
Unquote.
Above is part of a letter, which has been sent to all clubs. I'm wondering what the Sligo fans on this forum think?

Red4Eva
08/08/2005, 11:57 AM
i have to say i miss da atmosphere of pi$$y cold winter nites but da pitches are a damn sight better now. it's all about gate receipts&revenue so i'm sure that's what'll swing it

Conor H
08/08/2005, 12:07 PM
i have to say i miss da atmosphere of pi$$y cold winter nites but da pitches are a damn sight better now. it's all about gate receipts&revenue so i'm sure that's what'll swing it
Ya i agree the atmosphere on a dark wwinter night is alot better but factors like playing surfaces and Irish teams in Europe is what will swing the vote imo.

Petmuller
08/08/2005, 12:11 PM
“As you are no doubt aware, the 2005 season marks the third season since the eircom League switched to a summer soccer programme and as such will end the three- year experimental period which was agreed when the switch was decided upon.
At its meeting of July 11th, the eircom League Board of Control decided that it would seek submissions from all clubs relating to the timing, structure and format of the 2006 and subsequent seasons in advance of any decisions being taken in relation to next season and following seasons.”
Unquote.
Above is part of a letter, which has been sent to all clubs. I'm wondering what the Sligo fans on this forum think?

Redzer I'm wondering how you got your hands on such a letter, are you a committee member ;)
For what it's worth I think we should go back to the old timing as it is more suitable to everyone as in the dark dreary nights there's never much else to do and no one has the excuse that they were at the beach, saving the hay, or whatever. The pitch issue is a non-runner in my view as the ball spends more time in the sky than on the ground.

Redzer
08/08/2005, 12:29 PM
Redzer I'm wondering how you got your hands on such a letter, are you a committee member ;) .
Are you old enough to remember Watergate? :rolleyes:
No, unlike yourself I dont have that privilege, I got it off the Kildare County Official Forum. So, please dont send out the lynching mob. :D

LondonRover
08/08/2005, 3:01 PM
For purely selfish reasons I prefer the summer football cos it's easier for me to get home to matches but I agree that the atmosphere is always better under lights.
That said, that match in Dublin last week hardly felt like summer football now did it? Maybe that's why the atmos was so good!

Petmuller
08/08/2005, 3:37 PM
Are you old enough to remember Watergate? :rolleyes:
No, unlike yourself I dont have that privilege, I got it off the Kildare County Official Forum. So, please dont send out the lynching mob. :D

Too late they're already on their way.
You'll have to do a runner like Mondo :D

kkontour
08/08/2005, 4:16 PM
Have to be the cold winter nights for me.
Bring back memories of the 2003/2004 season when the lights went up! :D

thejollyrodger
08/08/2005, 4:31 PM
anything that helps the EL in Europe TBF

Da Real Rover
08/08/2005, 5:51 PM
anything that helps the EL in Europe TBF
I loved the crap winter nights for armosphere and the ice-ickles hanging out of every orophus but success in Europe is the only way to drag this League out of the Dark ages. The best way for that to happen is Summer Football.

redman
08/08/2005, 6:03 PM
I prefer the atmosphere of the cold winter nights under the floodlights, the ridiculus Santa hats at Christmas, the hot toddy's and chat about the match afterwards. What better way to start Saturday evening......no other commitments from 7pm onwards of 'beach, saving hay' etc leaving conscience free to concentrate on important things!!!

Light wingers however tend to get bogged down in the cr*p.

red metal
09/08/2005, 10:54 PM
Have to be the cold winter nights for me.
Bring back memories of the 2003/2004 season when the lights went up! :D

I think you,ll find the lights went up the 93/94 season.

kkontour
10/08/2005, 7:35 AM
I think you,ll find the lights went up the 93/94 season. :o :o :o

Redtop
10/08/2005, 11:47 AM
Well for good surfaces the summer football but for the craic the winter.. what else would ya be doin on a cold winters night? :)

roversforever
10/08/2005, 7:46 PM
Well for good surfaces the summer football but for the craic the winter.. what else would ya be doin on a cold winters night? :)
Playing astra turf games!!!

Redtop
10/08/2005, 11:11 PM
fair enough :) will ya be playin on the new rovers astroturf r the sports complex? :D

1 9 2 8
13/08/2005, 11:43 AM
Just going back to Petmuller on the MC. I wonder is there many of the MC keeping an eye or taking part on this forum