PDA

View Full Version : Imitatition is the sincerest form of flattery...

Roverstillidie
08/08/2005, 9:21 AM
Not only do certain clubs follow what Shamrock Rovers fans do first off the pitch (tifo flags, ultra groups, fighting :) ), now Cork ****ty decided to copy our 'half time hero' idea.

It involves introducing a club legend at half time, having a Q&A and awarding him a pennant. For example, the hero on Friday was 4 in a row winner who went from the hoops to Chelsea, John Cody (fair play to the 200 SPA fc supporters who bothered to travel the 2 miles to the game, the only away 'fans' so far to try and disrupt it, even the gypo's behaved. Pure class).

Who do c awk introduce in their attempt? Some former CORK HIBERNIANS player :confused: . Not one former Cork City player deemed worthy. Well done you yokels. I'd call it pathetic but no doubt Colm will close this thread as well if i do.

Dyl10
08/08/2005, 9:30 AM
Who gives a **** what other clubs copy! If it helps in anyway to boost the attendances of eL clubs then i am all for it

Roverstillidie
08/08/2005, 9:34 AM
Who gives a **** what other clubs copy! If it helps in anyway to boost the attendances of eL clubs then i am all for it

grand, but if you are going to rip something off, best not to make k nobs of yourselves doing it.
i mean, introducing a former player of another club as your first legend? thats outrageous. but amusing nonetheless...

Number 4
08/08/2005, 9:50 AM
Isnt that what you just did with Cody or are you seriously trying to say that Shamrock Rovers is the same as this one.

Hecko
08/08/2005, 9:56 AM
That Rovers played on the Southside, owned a ground and not a burberry baseball cap in sight.... Probably a bit more different to the crowd you follow than Hibs and and their natural successors City. Next you'll be accusing Pats, Bohs and City of ripping off your copyright on hooliganism.... :rolleyes:

Roverstillidie
08/08/2005, 9:56 AM
Isnt that what you just did with Cody or are you seriously trying to say that Shamrock Rovers is the same as this one.

its the same club ffs. so yes.

hibs and city arent. so no.

keep up please.

A face
08/08/2005, 10:03 AM
Not only do certain clubs follow what Shamrock Rovers fans do first off the pitch (tifo flags, ultra groups, fighting :) ), now Cork ****ty decided to copy our 'half time hero' idea.

Are you losing it altogether ???? ..... What are you on man ????

Are you seriously trying ot make out that Rovers are the only club that can introduce past players to the home crowd ?? Have you got a patent on this ?? So were the first ever club to do this ever ??

Come down out of the clouds or you'll hurt yourself ya tool !!

Unreal ..... i have heard it all now .... Un-fúcking-real !!

Number 4
08/08/2005, 10:03 AM
How many holding companies of the club have folded owing loads only for another new company to spring up and 'trade' as Shamrock Rovers at this stage. Same club? Well, using the same name I'll give you that.

Keep up ? Its hard to keep up with each new Shamrock Rovers.

pete
08/08/2005, 10:04 AM
Imitatition is the sincerest form of flattery...

Yawn. :rolleyes:

No one cares about this especially when you have to submit half the posts to this thread yourself.

Poor Student
08/08/2005, 10:05 AM
Indeed because Shamrock Rovers are the first ever club to come across the highly unique idea of taking a former player onto the pitch at half time and acknowledging their contribution.

A face
08/08/2005, 10:09 AM
I think he's making the point that Rovers introuduce past players who played for Rovers.

To be totally honest .... i dont really care who they played for ..... the player in question was a huge Cork legend .... it doesn't matter who he played for.

By the same token, Davie Barry used to play GAA ... and he is still welcome and got a huge reception the last time he was introduced. He hit the bar too

Poor Student
I think he's making the point that Rovers introuduce past players who played for Rovers.

I think he's making an arse of himself.

fosterdollar
...which, of course, you do have the uniqueness of doing.

Number 4
08/08/2005, 10:11 AM
League titles :confused: Oh dear !

BTW: I wonder will the GAA sue rovers for plagiarism?

wws
08/08/2005, 10:18 AM
even the gypo's behaved. Pure class).

what you sayin here....the gypos are pure class for not ripping the píss out of your half time hero - so the chant on Friday is true???

"Bohs and Rovers....the best of friends"

:D :p

Roverstillidie
08/08/2005, 10:25 AM
im not laying copyright to introducing players at half time, or tifo flags etc. Its just we were the first Eircom League club to do them. There is a pattern of other clubs copying what we do. Shels Briogad Dearg, half a dozen clubs with tifo stlye flags etc. Even, if you want, the burberry thing.

Then cork do the 'half time hero' (my understanding is thats what they called it... word for word) about 2 months after we start it, and introduce a former player of another club!?!

its a fair dig!

Roverstillidie
08/08/2005, 10:28 AM
what you sayin here....the gypos are pure class for not ripping the píss out of your half time hero - so the chant on Friday is true???

"Bohs and Rovers....the best of friends"

:D :p

the class comment was directed at you... thats very unfortunate grammer!!! :eek:

and i'll take your word for it, we couldnt hear you, something to do with no-one being there to sing it....

Number 4
08/08/2005, 10:29 AM
No its not - other clubs have introduced former 'hero's' at certain times a long time before 2 months ago. Jeez.

Just stop it please !

wws
08/08/2005, 10:33 AM
the class comment was directed at you... thats very unfortunate grammer!!! :eek:

and i'll take your word for it, we couldnt hear you, something to do with no-one being there to sing it....

yeah you're right rovers had 2,000 at it and pats had 300, oh im so embarressed by our lack of support

ure half time show was drowned out by pats slaggin and ure mc admittted as much after the game....sure why would you even mentioned the pats fans above if you couldnt hear them?????!

......Best of Friends...

Cosmo
08/08/2005, 10:33 AM
In fairness he has a point to an extent though is very petty bringing it up as rovers (as does every club in the country) copy stuff too.

Rovers were the first Eircom League club to have tifo flags, the first EL to have the number 12 jersey for fans and the first with the half time hero thingy.

However thats not to say that Rovers dont copy stuff like this from elsewhere - im sure all of the above 3 were seen in numerous places before rovers did them, just not in the EL.

Tbh though this is a stupid thread, who gives a f**k who copys what from where. Sure if we're going to go into it, does anybody notice the amount of songs that Rovers eh 'borrow' from man utd (not saying that theres anyone in the league that doesnt copy songs just making the point that everyone copys everything in football :rolleyes: !!)

Poor Student
08/08/2005, 10:40 AM
Sure if we're going to go into it, does anybody notice the amount of songs that Rovers eh 'borrow' from man utd (not saying that theres anyone in the league that doesnt copy songs just making the point that everyone copys everything in football :rolleyes: !!)

Indeed. What annoys me is hearing certain chants which have intonations and even accents exactly the same as they would in an English football ground. Some people or groups actually chant chants in an English accent from exactly how they copied it off TV.

So essentially the Rovers fan is happy at being the first in Ireland to steal something?

tiktok
08/08/2005, 10:43 AM

We can't help copying you,

next we're going to sell the cross, and wander around the country playing home games at our opponents grounds, then we'll have a succession of chairmen who'll get grants to rebuild, but sure we'll spend that on players and wages, eventually we'll build a debt of €2.3 million euros, but we know we can get that written off for a pittance.

then just when it looks like we're ok again, we'll hire Roddy, so we can get relegated.

Cosmo
08/08/2005, 10:43 AM
'So essentially the Rovers fan is happy at being the first in Ireland to steal something?'

Well that's what it sounds like to me what he's trying to say :rolleyes:

Roverstillidie
08/08/2005, 10:54 AM
'So essentially the Rovers fan is happy at being the first in Ireland to steal something?'

Well that's what it sounds like to me what he's trying to say :rolleyes:

as opposed to second, third, fourth? what does that say about the clubs who ape us? if they didn't use the exact same phrase as rovers just introduced it wouldnt be an issue.

interesting the fact that city had no player worthy of being introduced as a 'hero' is being ignored. does no-one find it bizarre that they would introduce a player from another club as 'a cork city' hero? imagine dublin city introduced a drums (or even home farm) legend as their own?!? madness. but just have a go at rovers instead because we can do it properly.

mission accomplished, the langers are wound up!

TheOwl
08/08/2005, 11:28 AM
its the same club ffs. so yes.

hibs and city arent. so no.

keep up please.

This from the same guy who said "we are entitled to actually break the rules before we are punished" in the registration of players debate last week.

If your former players are still relevant then so to are your former owners.

Silly thread!

ThatGuy
08/08/2005, 11:32 AM

It involves introducing a club legend at half time, having a Q&A and awarding him a pennant. For example, the hero on Friday was 4 in a row winner who went from the hoops to Chelsea, John Cody (fair play to the 200 SPA fc supporters who bothered to travel the 2 miles to the game, the only away 'fans' so far to try and disrupt it, even the gypo's behaved. Pure class).

Who do c awk introduce in their attempt? Some former CORK HIBERNIANS player :confused: . Not one former Cork City player deemed worthy. Well done you yokels. I'd call it pathetic but no doubt Colm will close this thread as well if i do.
Rovers hardly invented any of that ffs. The flags are hardly a revolutionary idea, while a couple of years ago Bohs were bringing out old stars at half time.

bohs til i die
08/08/2005, 11:42 AM

In 2001-02, Bohs had 3 teams on the pitch at half time at different matches from years gone by .....

League winners in 75 and 78
Cup winners in 1992
Team that beat Rangers in 84

Rovers havent started something that has never ever been done before.

fosterdollar
08/08/2005, 11:46 AM
Cup Final last year (albeit before KO iirc)

Dyl10
08/08/2005, 11:50 AM
Cup Final last year (albeit before KO iirc)
:confused:

fosterdollar
08/08/2005, 11:56 AM
:confused:
A club 'legend' from each club was introduced to the crowd and their contributions were recognised. Ours was Paschal Quinn. I know it's ot strictly the same but it doesn't take a great deal of original thought to develop it into what has been discussed above.

Peadar
08/08/2005, 11:58 AM
mission accomplished, the langers are wound up!

It would seem that the only ones wound up are the homeless history peddlers.
Can we expect legal proceedings over infringements on your patents on clapping and singing too? :rolleyes:

interesting the fact that city had no player worthy of being introduced as a 'hero' is being ignored.

We're busy creating heros and legends right now, how about you?

Roverstillidie
08/08/2005, 12:16 PM
this seems to have gotten way off topic, so i wil summerise:

firstly: rovers introduce 'half time hero' to honour former greats of the club.

two months later, cork introduce 'half time hero' and honour a former great of another club.

boyezzz and others have done it before, accepted, but i bet they didnt call it 'half time hero'. its the exact phrase getting ripped off that amused me.

secondly: it's the probable (and belive it or not, i genuinly want ccfc to win the thing ahead of shels) champions inability to find a former city player worthy of the title 'hero' that had me laughing out loud. who awards prizes to former greats of other clubs? seriously?

Number 4
08/08/2005, 12:44 PM

two months later, cork introduce 'half time hero' and honour a former great of another club.

boyezzz and others have done it before, accepted, but i bet they didnt call it 'half time hero'. its the exact phrase getting ripped off that amused me.

secondly: it's the probable (and belive it or not, i genuinly want ccfc to win the thing ahead of shels) champions inability to find a former city player worthy of the title 'hero' that had me laughing out loud. who awards prizes to former greats of other clubs? seriously?

Oh please shut up! You are making an absolute arse of yourself. Its embarrasing at this stage

TheOwl
08/08/2005, 12:44 PM

You are being pathetically pedantic in my opinion. He is a footballing hero from Cork city and the current football club in the city decides to recognise his contribution. This may have you “laughing out loud” but most other people would consider it a nice gesture.

If Ken Doherty paraded a World Championship Snooker trophy at an EL game you would probably be on here going on about “what kind of a club offers prizes to a great from another sport?”

As for the phrase "half-time hero" get over yourself will you? Next you will be saying that Rovers were the first to offer man-of-the-match awards, and now other clubs are using the EXACT same phrase.

There will probably be 20 Rovers fans on here today and 19 of them will make good points, but you always end up remembering the one idiot.

Cosmo
08/08/2005, 12:49 PM
'Next you will be saying that Rovers were the first to offer man-of-the-match awards, and now other clubs are using the EXACT same phrase.'

Like that one :D - definite candidate for post of the month (or do rovers have that one too ;) )

joeraki
08/08/2005, 4:30 PM
Saddest thread of the week.... and it's only Monday :rolleyes:

Troy.McClure
08/08/2005, 4:39 PM

Interestingly Rovers seem to be trying thier best to copy Hibs and go out of business :cool:

OneRedArmy
08/08/2005, 7:09 PM
we were the first Eircom League club to do them. There is a pattern of other clubs copying what we do. Even, if you want, the burberry thing.

Well done, you must be very proud of following a particularly unpleasant British trend from the 70's and 80's......

And you have the brass neck to come up to Derry and wave your passports at us.

"Chavs and proud of it" sounds like the new motto you should adopt.

dfx-
08/08/2005, 7:26 PM
The amount of complete and irrelevant rubbish posted here is unbelievable. :eek: :rolleyes:

What Rovers homelessness and past hooliganism have to do with the discussion of the original topic is beyond me.

The fact is 'Cork City FC' do not have a hero deemed worthy enough from their existance - who says these 'future' heroes will? You've won the league before, yet none of them are deemed worthy to be first in line. So what difference will it make if you win the league this team whilst you're busy making heroes?

'Shamrock Rovers' do. They are not idols from a couple of years ago - they are from a long time ago - these boys you're busy creating as idols will have a long time before they're worthy of the title 'hero'. :rolleyes:

The Stars
08/08/2005, 7:30 PM
This isn't the only thing that Cork stole at half time.
Sligo always let the crowd sample the skills and shooting accuracy of subsitutes at half time........beleive it,it is true :D

Réiteoir
08/08/2005, 7:38 PM
Aye, Bohs did the "half-time good player" (I won't use the exact phrase as I may get sued :D ) thing almost a year ago...

3-2 '84: 20th Anniversary:::13/09/04

Saturday 18th September marks the 20th anniversary of one of the biggest Days in Bohs and League of Ireland's history. On that day in 1984, Bohs pulled off an historic 3-2 win over the Scottish giants, Glasgow Rangers, in the UEFA Cup, in Dalymount, before succumbing to two late goals in the away leg.

Bohs' goalscorers, Rocky O'Brien and Gino Lawless, will be on the pitch at half-time, at Friday's game against Cork City, and will be answering some questions from MC Paul Duffy. Larry Rogan has raided his music archives for the night too, with all the pre-match music from 1984.

The remaining footage from the big night will be shown in the bars after the game.

And as for the "Number 12 Fans Jersey" thing - Vålerenga, the Norwegian club I follow (I was there in Oslo for their match against Tromsø on Saturday) got there first and have done the same since the 5th of May 1991.

The Number 12 Jersey is listed in the match program, on the team lineups read out before each match, and on the Official Club website as "Klanen" - which is the Club's Official Supporter-Group.

The number of fans you see wearing a Vålerenga jersey with the number 12 on the back is substantial.

http://vif.no/spiller_view.php?ad_id=161&adType_id=4

A face
08/08/2005, 9:23 PM
The amount of complete and irrelevant rubbish posted here is unbelievable. :eek: :rolleyes:

What Rovers homelessness and past hooliganism have to do with the discussion of the original topic is beyond me.

The fact is 'Cork City FC' do not have a hero deemed worthy enough from their existance - who says these 'future' heroes will? You've won the league before, yet none of them are deemed worthy to be first in line. So what difference will it make if you win the league this team whilst you're busy making heroes?

'Shamrock Rovers' do. They are not idols from a couple of years ago - they are from a long time ago - these boys you're busy creating as idols will have a long time before they're worthy of the title 'hero'. :rolleyes:

Can i just clarify ....... Introducing someone (hero status or not) at half time is not a new thing at City .... we have been doing it for as long as i'm supporting them. There have been countless events held at half time., and more recently (last 3-4 yrs) Red FM have taken this over and run several competitions like 'Hit the Bar' and 'Keepy Upy' ... Laughing Gas have played at half time, John Spillane has played at half time. Sonia O'Sullivan was introduced at half time and countless junior teams have been introduced. Loads of fundrasiers, etc. Loads of promotions, etc. There is a whole committe working to have things organised.

To say that we copied Rovers on this, is just sad .... if not a bit special/slow ... come off the stage in all fairness. It happens at half time and we called the guy a hero .... get over yourself will ya !!

A pityful thread, it has to be said .... and it undermines alot of hard work being done by the club.

Éanna
08/08/2005, 9:59 PM
Didn't hear whether he was introduced as a "half-time hero" but AFAIK its not the first time a former player has been brought out in front of the crowd at the cross. It just happened that Marsden was in Cork at the time.

Roverstillidie
09/08/2005, 7:22 AM
Didn't hear whether he was introduced as a "half-time hero" but AFAIK its not the first time a former player has been brought out in front of the crowd at the cross. It just happened that Marsden was in Cork at the time.

but eanna, he is not a former player.... :rolleyes:

its quite amazing how a tongue in cheek comment by myself (there is a big smilie attached to the thread, you all saw it), degenerated into personal abuse and anti-rovers nonsense so quickly. what this has to do with rovers 'hooligans' is beyond me. still, its the cross you bear following the countries most successful and famous club.

are we a bit touchy down in c awk at the moment? there is obviously precious little sense of humour on the banks of the lee which confirms a lot of prejudices. get over yourselves, it was a wind up, plain and simple.

Éanna
09/08/2005, 11:18 AM
but eanna, he is not a former player.... :rolleyes:
Cork Hibs are gone. Many of the people who supported them (including people running the club) would have been (are?) Hibs fans, so to all intents and purposes, its the closest there is.

thomas
09/08/2005, 11:44 AM
Rovers original company was wound up and restarted as a new set up in 1971 as not all the shareholders could be tracked.

That company was in turn wound up (debt free) by the kilcoynes and the ownership of the club passed to the mcnamaras.

Then the premier group became involved and similarly set up a new company which down the line became branvard. Again with no liabilities outstanding, though the club was loss making this was covered by shareholders funds.

finally the branvardians racked up a debt of €3.0m which was settled emphatically with all creditors and it is still the same company.

So Rovers have been through lots of changes but still the same club existed.

Hope that clears it up. At no point was any rovers company liquidated so the arguement that its not the same club does not hold any water.