07/08/2005, 1:35 PM
http://www.irishfootie.net/phpBB2/index.php

interesting. the new foot.ie?

Pablo
07/08/2005, 1:36 PM
http://www.irishfootie.net/phpBB2/index.php

Poor Student
07/08/2005, 1:40 PM
Why are there only 5 club forums there? :confused: Why would anyone try to go running up against this place? There are only so many eL fans who'll bother posting online.

Poor Student
07/08/2005, 1:43 PM
Hmmm, they seem to have over 2,000 registered members, not much less than ourselves. Is it an amalgam of the forums of those 5 respective clubs? Bloody ugly layout.

Pablo
07/08/2005, 1:53 PM
good idea though. a collection of seperate forums. The EU of forums if you will!

Poor Student
07/08/2005, 1:59 PM
good idea though. a collection of seperate forums. The EU of forums if you will!

Eh Pablo, what do you think foot.ie is? :confused:

dahamsta
07/08/2005, 2:04 PM
That site's been around since 2003 (http://web.archive.org/web/20030407084720/http://www.irishfootie.net/). Looks like they just restarted the forums or something.

adam

Pablo
07/08/2005, 2:15 PM
Eh Pablo, what do you think foot.ie is? :confused:

i'd consider foot.ie to be a monarchist state where as the new place seems to be run on a local government basis.

answer your question?

Pablo
07/08/2005, 2:17 PM
That site's been around since 2003 (http://web.archive.org/web/20030407084720/http://www.irishfootie.net/). Looks like they just restarted the forums or something.

adam

they've merged all the smaller clubs forums together from what i can see, a lá foot.ie

A face
07/08/2005, 2:23 PM
Nah ... foot.ie is established now and is far better than that now.

Would take months getting to where foot.ie is now, and to be honest foot.ie is the job cause i get info straight away, dont want to have to wait for that one to get up and running.

Anyway .... should you be posting that here ?? :p

Poor Student
07/08/2005, 2:26 PM
I didn't think you were making specific comments in relation to its administrative structure. I just meant foot.ie is also a collection of official or de fact offical club forums too only different clubs.

bigmac
07/08/2005, 2:27 PM
the waterford united fan forum has been up and running for quite a while. only just recently shifted it to the new place for technical reasons. seems to be place for team specific chat whereas foot.ie is for general talk about the league and between fans from all teams.

Poor Student
07/08/2005, 2:28 PM
Would take months getting to where foot.ie is now, and to be honest foot.ie is the job cause i get info straight away, dont want to have to wait for that one to get up and running.

It has every chance. Notice they are the main forums of clubs who's forums are dead here. Just like we have certain active club forums like Longford, Cork, UCD etc. It'll be foot.ie just with a higher content of other club's fans.

thejollyrodger
07/08/2005, 3:14 PM
lots of new boards starting up now but foot.ie is probably the best. worst out is boards.ie which is completley totalitarian

EnDai
07/08/2005, 3:26 PM
Boards.ie are very strict in the football forum because of the crap that threads used to descend into. It's also been around for about 5 years, so can't be described as new! :p

Cosmo
07/08/2005, 4:21 PM
the way its set up you would think its trying to be the new foot.ie. However hope it doesnt try and go by foot.ie principles (no offence ;) ) whereby for example drogs talking about a general EL thingy in the drogs forum and then its moved to the general EL section.

That was my favourite thing about the drogs forum where drogs could talk about anything amongst themselves

Gerrit
08/08/2005, 6:11 PM
The thing however is, if all those people would come here instead of starting a second forum, there would be no "less active club subforums" here. I don't see the point in an active UCD and Longford subforum here and an active Cobh and Limerick (or whatever) subforum there. Why did they even bother to restart the forums instead of coming here? For once jumping on the bandwagon would have been a good thing ;)

Is there anyone here that will register ?

I think for football on this island I'll stick to just foot.ie and irishleagueforums.net, no need for more. Add to that the Belgian clone of foot.ie and the more international BigSoccer.com forum and I'm busy enough anyway :)

BohDiddley
08/08/2005, 8:25 PM
I don't see why there should be one big board. This is the internet, not a tv station: it doesn't make any difference if there are 40 threads on one board or 20 each on two, or 10 on four. Most peope here are, I would say, reasonably computer literate, and can handle a few extra bookmarks in their browser or whatever comes after that.
This board has too strong a Cork flavour lately for my taste. You could just about tolerate the langers -- they've won the league, after all -- until we were taught a couple of salutary lessons there by the board gestapo, to do with sigs and closed threads. Now, I'd quite welcome an alternative so that I don't wake from nightmares of Hitler with a Cork accent.
I'm sure something similar. if not so extreme, will happen with all boards, and people will vote with their mice and go where they are most comfortable, which in my case means mods showing some elementary understanding of democratic discussion.
PS: why has boards.ie not got an EL MB. Is there history there?

A face
08/08/2005, 8:47 PM
PS: why has boards.ie not got an EL MB. Is there history there?

eL fans kept starting topics about the eL and the other guys didn't like it so they banned any new sign-ups to that forum. Still the same now i think.

I just want to pass comment on the rest of your post, and not directed at you. I think alot of people use this 'theres too much Cork' or 'Its all pro Cork' thing a bit too much ... to be fair, there are not half as many City fans here now. Its more up to others to get over this and contribute to whatever forum you choose. Stop using this argument as a crutch. If you have a problem with a poster, take it up with them, not the club they support ... stop trying to label other posters etc.

gypsydownunder
09/08/2005, 6:02 AM
I just want to pass comment on the rest of your post, and not directed at you. I think alot of people use this 'theres too much Cork' or 'Its all pro Cork' thing a bit too much ... to be fair, there are not half as many City fans here now. Its more up to others to get over this and contribute to whatever forum you choose. Stop using this argument as a crutch. If you have a problem with a poster, take it up with them, not the club they support ... stop trying to label other posters etc.

Complete and utter rubbish.
Let's just examine the evidence...

Currently, at the time of writing there are 9,961 threads in the Premier League section. Of these 5,437 are for one club ... you've guessed it Cork City. Nothing wrong with that per se.

But there's definately something wrong with trying to claim there's no bias towards content.

gypsydownunder
09/08/2005, 6:06 AM
And another thing.

The censorship rules are really juvenile on this board.

Sh1t, sh!te, c rap, boll ox, c e l t i c, [and even fcuk] are all fine inoffensive words in any credible footbal forum

Cosmo
09/08/2005, 7:20 AM
The thing however is, if all those people would come here instead of starting a second forum, there would be no "less active club subforums" here. I don't see the point in an active UCD and Longford subforum here and an active Cobh and Limerick (or whatever) subforum there. Why did they even bother to restart the forums instead of coming here? For once jumping on the bandwagon would have been a good thing ;)

Is there anyone here that will register ?

I think for football on this island I'll stick to just foot.ie and irishleagueforums.net, no need for more. Add to that the Belgian clone of foot.ie and the more international BigSoccer.com forum and I'm busy enough anyway :)

Would ye give it a rest - I'd hate this to be the main drogs forum, while I agree with the 'hardline' attitude with the mods on here (bar 1 or 2 people) as it keeps the site credibility, I like being able to go to the drogs forum and talk about what we want to talk about without worrying that it will be binned, etc.

though agree that there should only be one general EL forum

BohDiddley
09/08/2005, 8:27 AM
eL fans kept starting topics about the eL and the other guys didn't like it so they banned any new sign-ups to that forum. Still the same now i think.
I wonder if anyone has tried to start a separate EL forum there.

I don't mind the Corkness in itself. I don't have any problem with the club: they play good football and they have great fans -- I wish them well. What irks me about the board is the blatant Cork bias in the mod-ing and the autocratic, if-you-don't-like-it-you-can-lump-it attitude of the admins.

A face
09/08/2005, 10:30 AM
Complete and utter rubbish.
Let's just examine the evidence...

Currently, at the time of writing there are 9,961 threads in the Premier League section. Of these 5,437 are for one club ... you've guessed it Cork City. Nothing wrong with that per se.

But there's definately something wrong with trying to claim there's no bias towards content.

If you look at what i said .... Cork City forum is quite NOW .... not when those posts were made !!

Think about it !!

A face
09/08/2005, 10:35 AM
I wonder if anyone has tried to start a separate EL forum there. [/QUOTE}

I think it was asked for loads of times ... several polls, suggestions and reasoning .... it just was never gonig to be entertained no matter what the outcome.

[QUOTE]I don't mind the Corkness in itself. I don't have any problem with the club: they play good football and they have great fans -- I wish them well. What irks me about the board is the blatant Cork bias in the mod-ing and the autocratic, if-you-don't-like-it-you-can-lump-it attitude of the admins.

Ahh .... what about all the MODs not from Cork ... are they all biased too ?
I hear what your saying but the rules on the site are mostly to cut out all the crap .... to keep the signal to noise ratio up .... that is not always Cork thing but some people try to make out ot be that. If some people didn't act the twát, then there wouldn't be a problem .... i am not saying i am without sin here but at least i admit it

BohDiddley
09/08/2005, 11:39 AM
I think it was asked for loads of times ... several polls, suggestions and reasoning .... it just was never gonig to be entertained no matter what the outcome.
Why not? Did they actively block it? Interesting if they did.

Ahh .... what about all the MODs not from Cork ... are they all biased too ?
I hear what your saying but the rules on the site are mostly to cut out all the crap .... to keep the signal to noise ratio up .... that is not always Cork thing but some people try to make out ot be that. If some people didn't act the twát, then there wouldn't be a problem .... i am not saying i am without sin here but at least i admit it
I hadn't noticed any bias from non-Cork mods. Do you have any examples? I have already referred to specific threads. If you do have examples, then they represent further evidence of foot.ie shortcomings, not a balancing of bias, if such a thing could exist.
As for people acting the ****, I certainly am in favour of strong mod-ing (e.g. against name-calling, personal abuse and simple disrespect for other people) once it is done for clear breaches along clearly defined rules and not on whim. It's when mods decide that signal they find inconvenient is noise that the logic starts to unravel.

pineapple stu
09/08/2005, 12:33 PM
And another thing.

The censorship rules are really juvenile on this board.

Sh1t, sh!te, c rap, boll ox, c e l t i c, [and even fcuk] are all fine inoffensive words in any credible footbal forum
I disagree. Phrases like those usually indicate juvenile minds and get overused. foot.ie is one of the few forums around where you can actually have a sensible, intelligent discussion without people turning around and calling you a ****ing ******, and it should be praised for that.

Cosmo
09/08/2005, 12:36 PM
I agree that curses should be blocked out - otherwise this site would be firewalled on me at work

bigmac
09/08/2005, 12:55 PM
fair enough with the swearwords, it forces people to think up of more civilised alternatives, but blocking ceItic, why is the name of a football club blocked?

Cosmo
09/08/2005, 12:57 PM
fair enough with the swearwords, it forces people to think up of more civilised alternatives, but blocking ceItic, why is the name of a football club blocked?

Uh oh, here we go again :D

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 1:06 PM
Somebody give me some aspirin...

Poor Student
09/08/2005, 1:09 PM
Celtic isn't blocked anymore, is it?

the 12 th man
09/08/2005, 1:26 PM
Celtic isn't blocked anymore, is it?

its needed in the junior league forum among others so its unblocked AFAIK.

Poor Student
09/08/2005, 1:31 PM
its needed in the junior league forum among others so its unblocked AFAIK.

As far as you know? Didn't I just prove it. :p

BohDiddley
10/08/2005, 1:08 PM
I think most people can tolerate a few swearwords. It doesn't really matter -- it's not as if you don't hear them in RL anyway (and not just at EL, as some people in Malahide :rolleyes: would have us believe).
What does matter is that there a clear rules, firmly but fairly enforced.

sligoman
10/08/2005, 1:50 PM
I just registered on that forum and got a Sligo Rovers section set up on it :cool:. I'm the only Sligo fan on it though :o :D

Cosmo
10/08/2005, 2:07 PM
'I think most people can tolerate a few swearwords.'

no some people can't as they's then be firewalled from the site at work :mad:

fosterdollar
10/08/2005, 2:18 PM
'I think most people can tolerate a few swearwords.'

no some people can't as they's then be firewalled from the site at work :mad:
foot.ie is savage for me at work. For some reason websense doesn't pick it up when i type in the url minus the 'www' in the address bar. It's defo the only MB i can access out of full access hours and it's one of the very few footie sites i can get at.

Mr A
10/08/2005, 2:27 PM
The Irish Footie Network forums have been around a long time but were hacked last week so the admin put up a new version. The three premier clubs who have forums on there all are busy message boards, and in the case of Harps we use it simply because it's the one we've always used and we like it. The general eL section always existed but was never that busy. This may change somewhat now that the forums are more closely linked with it but I can't see this forum being replaced as the main eL board.