Petmuller
07/08/2005, 9:26 AM
Match report taken from the Official Linfield website www.linfieldfc.com

Linfield 3
Sligo Rovers 0

Date : 6th August 2005
Competition : Pat McShane Testimonial
Venue : Home

Linfield scorers : Larmour (31), Ferguson (81, 90)

Pat McShane donned the Captain’s armband for his testimonial game against Sligo Rovers at Windsor Park today. Having made his debut in the 1994/95 season, Pat has played 307 games for the Blues.

Linfield had the best of the early chances in the first half. On 12 minutes McShane crossed from the left, but Ben Mackey’s header from ten yards was deflected over the bar. Two minutes later David Larmour collected the ball on the edge of the box, before sliding it through to Mark Picking who had cut inside from the right. When it looked as though Picky was going to blast the ball, he decided to side foot it. The ball however went well wide of its intended target.

With just over half an hour played, Linfield took the lead. Picking played the ball in from the right to Larmour, who turned and fired home from ten yards. Larmour’s finish looked all the better for the tight angle he had to cope with. Two minutes later Mackey had a good chance to double the Blues’ lead, but his side-footed 12 yard effort was easily saved.

HALF TIME: LINFIELD 1-0 SLIGO ROVERS

There were over twenty minutes of the second half played before either side produced a chance at goal. Douglas played the ball through to Thompson, but his 16 yard effort from the right side of the box went straight to the keeper. On 72 minutes McShane tried his luck from twenty yards, but again the shot was straight at Rouse.

Thompson was released through the middle with a great ball from Glenn Ferguson in the 78th minute. He went through one-on-one with the keeper, but Thompson shot too early and the keeper did well to block the ball with an outstretched leg.

On 81 minutes Thompson was released through by a fantastic pass from Mulgrew. Instead of firing in the shot this time, Thompson played the ball square to Ferguson, who eventually turned a defender and slotted home from four yards.

In the final minute Ferguson made it three for Linfield. He produced a good finish from six yards after a cross from the left by O’Kane.

FULL TIME: LINFIELD 3-0 SLIGO ROVERS

Linfield Team : Mannus, Ervin, McShane, Kearney, Murphy, Kingsberry, Larmour, Picking, Mackey, McAreavey, Bailie. Subs: Ferguson, Thompson, Mouncey, Gault, Douglas, O’Kane, Nelson, Mulgrew.

Sligo Rovers Team : Rouse, O’Donnell, McCann, Sheradin, O’Hara, Murtagh, Burns, Conn, Alvors, Brown, McCartney. Subs: S.McCann, Lovere, Connon, Flynn.

garykelly
07/08/2005, 5:29 PM
with ryan o'donnell playing in this game, our right back problems cud be about to end.

Red4Eva
07/08/2005, 7:47 PM
banana, jay&carlos all played for u21s today as well. i think brown cuda done with a 20mins&a goal hopefully to get his confidence up. 3 matches in as many days is a lot but he f*ckin needs it

Petmuller
07/08/2005, 11:07 PM
with ryan o'donnell playing in this game, our right back problems cud be about to end.

I was chatting to one of our players tonight and he was telling me that Ryan's tail of woe continues. He twisted his knee and had to come off. The knee, the same one he was out with all season, shot up like a balloon and they'll not know what damage is done until the swelling goes down.
Ryan had been playing very well and delighted to be back.

Hopefully for his and Rovers sake all will be well.

CollegeTillIDie
08/08/2005, 7:26 AM
Well no disgrace in a First Division EL team losing to the Setanta Cup holders who beat the Premier Division EL champions now is there? ;)

gustavo
08/08/2005, 11:06 AM
plus it was a second string team we had out so i wouldnt be too bothered.

LondonRover
08/08/2005, 3:04 PM
I have to say, am I the only one that's noticed that this drop in form appears to coincide with playing all these friendlies (Lincoln, Celtic, Linfield)?

Is it a good idea to be playing more games in the middle of the season when you're pushing for promotion/going for the title? :confused:

Red4Eva
08/08/2005, 3:38 PM
I have to say, am I the only one that's noticed that this drop in form appears to coincide with playing all these friendlies (Lincoln, Celtic, Linfield)?

Is it a good idea to be playing more games in the middle of the season when you're pushing for promotion/going for the title? :confused:

the lincoln match definitely was more trouble than it was worth. burns played 70mins&wasn't very sharp v kilkenny. true of other players too. which has coincided with our dip in form.

Petmuller
08/08/2005, 3:40 PM
Just another excuse lads.
Whatever happened to the thinking the more games the sharper one becomes?

Red4Eva
08/08/2005, 3:42 PM
i'm not using it as an excuse i'm sayin it was a bad mistake by our manager.

Da Real Rover
08/08/2005, 5:45 PM
keep the startingly brilliant political comment off this site!.
gustavo

Petmuller
08/08/2005, 5:53 PM
Don't think there was call for that remark but then it's what I've come to expect :(