PDA

View Full Version : Super Cup

deecay
06/08/2005, 7:45 PM
With tomorrows Community Shield between Arsenal and Chelsea. I was wondering why is their no Irish equivilent. It could be used in the same way as it is done in England as the curtain raiser to a new season. I was just wondering what people's opinions are on a Super Cup idea. Has their ever been anything like this before in Ireland that isnt here anymore?

jagman
06/08/2005, 8:28 PM
the presidents trophy??????

and whats the point???????

thejollyrodger
06/08/2005, 8:35 PM
i think its a great idea but would it be much of a competition?

Poor Student
06/08/2005, 8:42 PM
Shelbourne v Longford is what this season's would have been and indeed last season's. Is that really a mouthwatering opener that would serve as a curtain raiser? There wouldn't be much interest. Both participants would also have qualified for the Setanta and could already have an extra meeting there.

joeraki
06/08/2005, 8:55 PM
There was a Super Cup I think in the mid 90's, 4 teams in it. Think Cork beat Rovers in the final

Student Mullet
06/08/2005, 9:28 PM
There was a Super Cup I think in the mid 90'sThere was. UCD won it once. It was treated as less important than the league cup and was correctly ended.

There is no demand for this. Teams play each other too often as it is.

Troy.McClure
06/08/2005, 10:18 PM
There was a Super Cup that was basically a preseason friendly competition to freshen up theam playing in Europe and attracted small crowds. Cr@p competition with no use anymore.

Dodge
06/08/2005, 10:30 PM
The President's Cup ran for years but was limited to Leinster teams (it being runby the LFA) Never any real interest in it but gave Pats fns the chance to give dave Campbell dogs abuse after he signed for Shels. Ended up missing the vital penalty in the shoot out

daveh
06/08/2005, 11:09 PM
Remember city playing bohs in the super cup at the cross,losing on penalties.

It was gambles debut if my memory serves me right,he got a class goal aswell,running through the entire bohs defence and smashing it to the roof of the net,thats what brought him to readings attention

jagman
07/08/2005, 11:53 AM
i dont really think there would be enough interest in it as it wont really mean anything and thought of less highly than the league cup

jorge
07/08/2005, 3:38 PM
What we need is the league to improve then you can come up with silly little ideas like that one.

Forget about all theese things and only come up with something if it is to improve the league.

Imo the League Cup should be scraped.

TheOwl
07/08/2005, 10:17 PM
I also remember Richie Purdy breaking Sparky Rutherford's leg in a President's Cup final with Dundalk one year.

The referee (forget who it was) was then presented with a shield at the end of the game, never seen a ref get such abuse at Tolka, and it was totally deserved.

As for Purdy???? Well he is to Shels fans what Ollie is to the rest of yiz!