PDA

View Full Version : Inbuilt Obsolescence

hamish
06/08/2005, 7:24 PM
I bought a Whirlpool micro-wave oven exactly ten years ago which has served me well. Perfect for me, a low fi person, no flashing leds, loads of buttons etc, just basic switches and easy to use.
On Tuesday, the power switch/timer thingy broke, A tiny piece of plastic linking the switch to its stem broke off thus rendering the micro-wave unusable.
The switch is small enough - size wise it would sit nicely on top of one of those, y'know, pack of three condom packets you get in a tiolet pub vending machine, with a couple of milliometres to spare - that's the size of it.
Anyway, I rang the shop I bought it from and, amazingly, they said they could replace it - I had expected that, because of its age, there wouldn't be any replacement parts made for this particlular model, given its age.
Got the replacement switch to day and it cost...........33 fcuking euro and 45 cents. :eek:
In addition, if I had left the micro-wave in to the shop, it would have cost another 30 euro at least service charge.
It would have been cheaper to have bought a new micro-wave, I reckon in places like Power City etc., even without the service charge.

This led me to thinking - have any of you Footiepersons had similar experiences of inbuilt obsolescence in products??

Anto McC
06/08/2005, 10:43 PM
Do you ever stop complaining Hamish :rolleyes: :p :D

dfx-
06/08/2005, 11:00 PM
Obsoles... :confused: .....what? :o :D

hamish
07/08/2005, 5:59 AM
Do you ever stop complaining Hamish

Ah Anto, you know me well enough by now.

Me complain?? :eek: ........I'm very content really with life.

Just amazed at how much junk society creates. When you think of all the washing machines, fridges etc that end up being taken apart in places like India for scrap, parts etc it's no wonder people have such little value on things.
If something fcuks up...ah sure.....feck it out..cheaper to replace it.

We have two recycling bins down here. A brown one for food, bones, grass, sticks etc that will make compost and a blue bin for plastics, cans etc. My sister slags me off about detaching the plastic bits from toothpaste sachets, milk cartons, orange juice cartons or cutting up and emptying the sand out of jug plastic water filters etc. :o
A lot of plastic isn't good enough quality to recycle and ends up in landfills - the very plastic that you see dotted all over the landscape - brown bread containers, biscuit packets etc.

We're subconsciously brainwashed not to get things fixed because it's cheaper to replace.

Take woofers in your speakers for example. They start to buzz and distort - get new woofers? Nah, buy new speakers.

Many businesses depend on the throw away aspect of their products to survive. I mean, if everyone got things repaired, western society would collapse. :D

hamish
07/08/2005, 6:43 AM
Obsoles... :confused: .....what? :o :D

Yeah and I had to check the dictionary to make sure the spelling was right. :o :D

Green Tribe
07/08/2005, 7:45 PM
Yeah and I had to check the dictionary to make sure the spelling was right. :o :D

aye, have you been digesting adam's dictionary that he always refers to...... :eek: :D

hamish
07/08/2005, 7:51 PM
aye, have you been digesting adam's dictionary that he always refers to...... :

Sheridan is a good influence on me these days.

Any examples of Inb. Obs. yourself KT??? Ever buy anything you really liked, some part of it was defective and you had to replace the whole shebang 'cos there was no spare parts.??

And please.....no jokes about men..I know your mind. :p :D

Green Tribe
07/08/2005, 8:25 PM
Sheridan is a good influence on me these days.

Any examples of Inb. Obs. yourself KT??? Ever buy anything you really liked, some part of it was defective and you had to replace the whole shebang 'cos there was no spare parts.??

And please.....no jokes about men..I know your mind. :p :D

Spoiled my joke..... :mad: Men are generally defective :rolleyes: :D

thejollyrodger
07/08/2005, 9:50 PM
We had a dishwasher here for 13 months and the door locking mechanism broke. Just after the warranty ran out and it cost something like €60 to fix it. It was just a part to send away for and the technican repaired in a 5 minute job. Its all a con job. the manufactors make everything so it breaks.

hamish
07/08/2005, 10:10 PM
We had a dishwasher here for 13 months and the door locking mechanism broke. Just after the warranty ran out and it cost something like €60 to fix it. It was just a part to send away for and the technican repaired in a 5 minute job. Its all a con job. the manufactors make everything so it breaks.

Absolutely true - cars are also notorious too for the same reason.

and don't get me started on Hoovers. :mad:

Anto McC
07/08/2005, 10:39 PM
Hamish your turning into my ma or something complaining about Hoovers and the likes.Jaysus i can't even tell you if we have a hoover in my house and if we do,i'll be damned if i know what it looks like :D

Green Tribe
07/08/2005, 11:54 PM
Hamish your turning into my ma or something complaining about Hoovers and the likes.Jaysus i can't even tell you if we have a hoover in my house and if we do,i'll be damned if i know what it looks like :D

Babysis, he's useless, he doesn't know how to do housework....... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D Snigger

Metrostars
08/08/2005, 12:23 AM
Hamish, if you want to fix it yerself, do a google for parts for your model. I'm sure there is something out there. I have a TV in my minivan (for the kids on long trips etc) about 4 years old, sure enough a few weeks ago the frame cracked and fell to the floor. Called the company (audiovox), discontinued model, no more parts etc. Did a search online and low and behold I was able to get a replacement frame for $40. Took about 10 minutes to fix it. Much better than having to pay $500 for a new one.

Anyways, arent microwaves something like $2 nowdays?

Fair_play_boy
08/08/2005, 7:55 AM
At work somebody plugged in an 8 month old 20 inch pc monitor without checking if it was switched off first. In 1% of cases, as we learned later, this can cause the board inside the monitor to burn up. Cost of replacement of the board? About €20 less than the cost of a new monitor. :eek:

Fair_play_boy
08/08/2005, 7:57 AM
. . . . y'know, pack of three condom packets you get in a tiolet pub vending machine, with a couple of milliometres to spare - that's the size of it.Had to read this phrase three times to make sure we were not talking about a personal problem here :p

carrickharp
08/08/2005, 9:12 AM
PS 2 :mad: :mad:

patsh
08/08/2005, 11:17 AM
This led me to thinking - have any of you Footiepersons had similar experiences of inbuilt obsolescence in products??
Windoze?...:rolleyes:

Don Vito
08/08/2005, 12:29 PM
Had a simlar experience with a washing machine, broke the handle off and thought I be rode for a replacement but I hit google and got it delivered for €10. Don't believe what the shops or repair men tell you-try google first.

hamish
08/08/2005, 7:01 PM
replacement frame for $40. Took about 10 minutes to fix it. Much better than having to pay $500 for a new one.

Anyways, arent microwaves something like $2 nowdays?

Jesus, Metrostars, that the very point of my thread - I DID get a spare part/replacement. I don't want to buy a new micro-wave.

ATM I'm searching Goodle for info on Cd players. The laser is defective is my stereo and despite various cleaning CDs etc, it's obvious that the laser is defective. A good buddy, who owns an electrical shop is fixing it for next to nothing as I am a customer there and he's a very honest bloke.

I'm NOT going to buy a new stereo - great speakers and a kick-ass sound - until the laser fcuked up lately.

sligoman
08/08/2005, 7:06 PM
Ah Jaysus Hamish your back! How did last night go for ya?:eek: ;).

hamish
08/08/2005, 7:06 PM
Had to read this phrase three times to make sure we were not talking about a personal problem here

LOL :D - knowing the type of people on Footie - like YOU Corky Boy - the condom packet picture would be perfect to illustrate the size of the switch.
Besides, buying condoms doesn't illustrate personal problems - it's a mature act and means there have never been - and never will be - more little Hamish's running round the place :eek: - even one with Cork connections. :eek:
Surely, Fair Play Boy, that's a good thing LOL :p

sligoman
08/08/2005, 7:08 PM
Ah Jaysus Hamish your back! How did last night go for ya?:eek: ;).Check the totty watch thread, if ya want to know what I mean;) :p.

hamish
08/08/2005, 7:09 PM
Hamish your turning into my ma or something complaining about Hoovers and the likes.Jaysus i can't even tell you if we have a hoover in my house and if we do,i'll be damned if i know what it looks like

That's weird - my sister tells me I'm turning into our Ma too. :o
Shame on you - why aren't you helping your mammy with the hoovering. :p
Actually buy a Dyson - there brilliant and even easy for you to use. :cool: :D

hamish
08/08/2005, 7:14 PM

I don't need a dishwasher 'cos there's only one of me in the house and I think DWers are energy wasting.
However, here's a tip for washing machines - ALWAYS pop an anti-calcifying tablet with EACH load - in ahard water area especially it will put years on your WM PLUS regularly check/clean the screw out part where threads etc accumulate.
Two simple things like that will extend the life of your WM by years.

I think I deserve an RTE series. LOL :D

Anto McC
08/08/2005, 11:07 PM
Shame on you - why aren't you helping your mammy with the hoovering. :p

Because i'll do it wrong anyway thats what ma's are for :p :D

Fair_play_boy
09/08/2005, 12:17 AM
LOL :D - knowing the type of people on Footie - like YOU Corky Boy - the condom packet picture would be perfect to illustrate the size of the switch.
Besides, buying condoms doesn't illustrate personal problems - it's a mature act and means there have never been - and never will be - more little Hamish's running round the place :eek: - even one with Cork connections. :eek:
Surely, Fair Play Boy, that's a good thing LOL :pHamish, are you winding me up? Don't tell me my post was THAT cryptic that you didna understand it???

hamish
09/08/2005, 12:32 AM
Hamish, are you winding me up? Don't tell me my post was THAT cryptic that you didna understand it???

Just messin' Corky Boy, just messin' :D Did you not see the LOL and crack about a Corkonian Hamish............perish the thought. :eek:

TBH I enjoyed your post ;)

hamish
10/08/2005, 10:02 PM
http://www.able2know.com/forums/about55761.html