PDA

View Full Version : Changes To Possible World Cup Squad

livehead1
06/08/2005, 5:36 PM
who do people think will be brought into the squad for the world cup who aint in it now...
personally i think glenn whelan and stephen ireland both have chances as they seem like they will both see action for their clubs ...im sure there are many more..?

byrnie20
06/08/2005, 6:27 PM
Apart from the two that you mentioned,Stephen Kelly has a great chance and i wouldn't be suprised if Owen Garvan was in.

TheJamaicanP.M.
06/08/2005, 6:51 PM
I agree with the point about Stephen Kelly. When I saw him play in the World Under-20 Championships, I remember thinking he'd be in our first 11 by the time Germany 06 comes around (fingers crossed we'll make it). In addition, I think Kevin Doyle will make his international debut next February. However, I fear that fatigue may prevent him making it to the World Cup. I'm surprised that people have'nt talked about Clive Clarke a bit more. Here is a player who will finally make the step-up to the Premiership and he can play left-back. I'm looking forward to see how he and his former team-mate at Stoke, Graham Kavanagh, get on in the Premiership. I have a sneaky feeling that they may surprise a few people.

Indeed, earlier today I was counting how many Irish players I think will play in the top flight this season. I estimated that at least 25 players who are currently eligible for the national team will play this season. Added to that are the likes of Dean Kiely and Lee Carsley who are now retired from the international game. Nonetheless, just wait for the calls for Carsley's return when he takes to the Chamnpions League stage with the Toffees.

As a footnote, I would just like to give Mark Kennedy a mention for an impressive display for Wolves this evening. I remember seeing him in a pre-season friendly for Mick McCarthy's Millwall against Longford Town when he was only 18. He scored 4 goals that day and looked like a real gem. Later that season, he tore Arsenal to shreds at Highbury in the FA Cup. However, a record transfer for a teenager, to Liverpool set in motion what has been a turbulent career. I think he has matured now and offers more than a lot of the younger players we talk about on these boards. However, I dont think for one second that Brian Kerr will ever pick him.

Qwerty
06/08/2005, 10:36 PM
I'm going to take the position that the only currently uncapped player to make the World Cup squad will be a goalkeeper. I do think that Doyle has the best chance of any uncapped outfield player and could make it but it may take an injury to open the door.

If you look at it Kenny, Elliott and Andy Reid have all been introduced into the squad since the start of the current campaign - and McGeady has had a couple of look-ins as well, I don't really see any more additions except a 3rd GK.

tetsujin1979
06/08/2005, 11:38 PM
I can't see Stephen Ireland getting into the squad this side of Germany 06, talented he may be, but to the best of my knowledge he hasn't even played for the U-21s yet, and he'd want to be something extremely special to jump straight into the senior side. Having said that, Pearce has said after coming on to set up the second goal against Olympiacos today

If I had to outline two young players who have really given my elbow a nudge this pre-season, it would be Stevie Ireland and Bradley Wright-Phillips
Unfortunately, he was taken to hospital with a suspected broken wrist after the game :(

zinedineontour
07/08/2005, 8:20 PM
Apart from the two that you mentioned,Stephen Kelly has a great chance and i wouldn't be suprised if Owen Garvan was in.

ffs lads garvan , ireland and to a lesser extent whelan are only getting into their clubs sides now whelans be in sheff wed side a while but only stepping up to a higher level now ... they are only kids who need to concentrate on their club careers not full international football ... do you really think they are worth a place in the squad at this stage when we have france to play in a months time ???

thejollyrodger
07/08/2005, 9:44 PM
Who to bring : -

The usual suspects,

Given
Kenny

Cuningham
O Brien
Dunne (if fit and mentally up for it)
Kelly

A.Reid
D.Duff
Keano
Cunnigham
Kavanagh
Mc Geady

Clint
Robbie
Elliott

A good enough team there.

on a more negative note , who not to bring

Josh ? - lack of games - CRAP positional play and CRAP ball retention

Mr Invisible 1 (holland) - rarely seen with the ball in an Ireland jersey

Mr Invisible 2 (Miller) - as above

Mr Blobby (Carr) - physically unfit and mentally not a the races

Hearte , slow - both mentally and physically + anyone for penos:p?

McCanada
09/08/2005, 1:52 AM
Although what I've seen of Stephen Kelly has been impressive, I think he may have a tough time this year because of the signing of Paul Stalteri, a right back with Spurs. As a Canadian, I've seen a lot of him, and he's a very good natural right back, and he's been playing at a high level for a few years now in Germany. Kelly would, unfortunately, have a tough time getting in the team ahead of him, and he is unlikely to be an option at centre of defence at club level too, with other new signings and depth. Not being a squad regular at this point, a lack of first team action won't help him come World Cup time.

Colbert Report
09/08/2005, 2:17 AM
Carr has lost 13 pounds this summer and is in the best shape of his life. I find it hard to believe that you watched the Israel game and could say that about Harte - he is all heart and the type of player Jack Charlton built his teams around. We need more of them.

Éanna
09/08/2005, 11:20 AM
Doyler. he's better than morrison, doherty or macken

drinkfeckarse
09/08/2005, 12:20 PM

In your opinion don't forget ;) Lets wait and see what he does first.

BTW Stephen Ireland had a fall out with Kerr afew years ago so even if he got in the City team and done very well, would Kerr forgive and forget or would he cut his nose off?????

youngirish
09/08/2005, 12:27 PM
You could be right: Kelly was playing for Spurs reserves yesterday. See
http://www.spurs.co.uk/article.asp?hlid=297650

This usggests that he has been dropped, despite his good performances in pre-season. Quite unlucky really.

Stalteiri can also play at left back and considering Edman was far poorer than Kelly last season I'd say he should be more worried about his position in the team.

Also I reckon Joey O'Brien might break into the squad by the end of the season and possibly Potter if he continues to be a regular in the Liverpool team.

gustavo
09/08/2005, 12:31 PM
my main contenders i suppose would be
kelly
whelan
ireland
bermingham
doyle
clarke

out of those i would probably go for clarke or whelan

tetsujin1979
09/08/2005, 2:40 PM
BTW Stephen Ireland had a fall out with Kerr afew years ago so even if he got in the City team and done very well, would Kerr forgive and forget or would he cut his nose off?????

Think he'd be willing to forgive, he mentioned Ireland in the press conference yesterday as one of the Irish players at Man City that have played in preseason, along with Willo Flood.

my main contenders i suppose would be
kelly
whelan
ireland
bermingham
doyle
clarke

out of those i would probably go for clarke or whelan
I'll be shocked if Bermingham plays for the senior side before the world cup, he's only just played for the senior man city side and I think he only has 1 or 2 U-21 caps, save him for the next set of qualifiers

gustavo
09/08/2005, 4:33 PM
I'll be shocked if Bermingham plays for the senior side before the world cup, he's only just played for the senior man city side and I think he only has 1 or 2 U-21 caps, save him for the next set of qualifiers

well theres always one that bursts through that you wouldnt expect so maybe he will be it:)

Patch
09/08/2005, 5:03 PM
What about Paddy McCarthy. Could be good to partner Kenny.You'd have to throw in O Shea for versatility and if got a bit stronger he could replace Roy in centre mid. Kelly and McGeady have to start playing and they'll be good. Harte is back. Hes more confident since hes come back. Hes also the only Irish person who can take a free kick and he looks a bit fitter.

Lets pray we get to Germany!

jimbob117
09/08/2005, 5:59 PM

he is not better than morrison. see how Doyle gets on in his first season in the championship before making that kind of judgement, cause morrison was excellent in that division aswell as being decent for ireland and in the premiership. Doyle has only started out.

TheJamaicanP.M.
09/08/2005, 8:09 PM

From the man who doesn't care. :rolleyes:

Plastic Paddy
09/08/2005, 8:34 PM
From the man who doesn't care. :rolleyes:

:D :D

Your incisive views have been missed JPM. Welcome back. :D

:ball: PP

Superhoops
09/08/2005, 10:39 PM
........You'd have to throw in O Shea for versatility and if got a bit stronger he could replace Roy in centre mid.........
Strength he can build up OK, but his passing is dreadful and I don't see him having the same drive and tackling ability that Keane used to show us.

superfrank
10/08/2005, 11:20 AM
David Connolly got a hat-trick last night and he's got four in two games. Unfortunately, I think he could be back in contention. :mad: :(

tetsujin1979
10/08/2005, 12:21 PM
David Connolly got a hat-trick last night and he's got four in two games. Unfortunately, I think he could be back in contention. :mad: :(
Yeah, a striker bang on form, don't need any of them do we?? :rolleyes:

youngirish
10/08/2005, 1:01 PM
Yeah, a striker bang on form, don't need any of them do we?? :rolleyes:

He's been on form before at club level but always been absolutely s**te for Ireland except against quality teams like Lichenstein. He's not international class give someone else a go like Doyle, Murphy or Macken if any have a half decent season. Even if Connolly bangs in 30 goals this season I still wouldn't let him near another competitive match. Remember his fine performances against Spain in the WC and the Swiss in the Euro qualifiers?

zinedineontour
10/08/2005, 1:10 PM

maybe doherty or macken but nowhere near the level of clinton yet ... clinton has been excellent for ireland in this campaign and up to his injury against france was having the best game ive seen of him in a ireland shirt. doyle has done nowt yet .. wait till he even scores a goal for reading before making stupid claims ..... and for the people who think we should bring in stephen ireland ?? ffs get the lads in the 21s not the ****ing main squad he has been involved in a couple of friendlies for his club ... big swinging micky

a lot of people on here seem to think once a player has a bit of involvement with a club get them in the squad ... let them develop first ...

eirebhoy
10/08/2005, 4:03 PM
He's been on form before at club level but always been absolutely s**te for Ireland except against quality teams like Lichenstein. He's not international class give someone else a go like Doyle, Muprhy or Macken if any have a half decent season. Even if Connolly bangs in 30 goals this season I still wouldn't let him near another competitive match. Remember his fine performances against Spain in the WC and the Swiss in the Euro qualifiers?
My theory, as posted before, is that Connolly just can't play with Keane. He scored 7 goals in his first 15 caps and some of them wouldn't have been starts. Connolly may have 40 caps but would you believe, since Keane was first capped Connolly has only started 5 matches without Keane as his partner (in the other 18 matches he was either partnered by Robbie and/or came on as a sub for the last 15 or so minutes). Them 5 matches were against Sweden, Turkey, Andorra, Cyprus (scored 1), Turkey (scored 1 and got MOM).

At Wimbledon he was partnered with Neil Shipperley and scored 42 goals in 63 games.

So what I am trying to say is don't judge Connolly by his performances when partnered with Keane. Also over half of his caps were substitute appearances which were usually between the 70-90 minute. If Keane was ever unavailable I would be more than happy to have Connolly replace him. Depending on how Elliott does with Sunderland this season though he would be first choice to replace Keane.