PDA

View Full Version : Weird subs

gael353
06/08/2005, 3:54 PM
Ok i think IMO that our season is over ok so with that in mind i would give Tommy Barrett a rest for the next two weeks cos hes shagged! And when he comes back hes going up front. We have two good central midfielders in sweeney and keating so use them with Donnelen and god help us Kerins on the other wing. Id start leaving go players i would. Nolan and Wolfe and maybe a keeper or two could go as there just wasting there time and ours. use the 21's some at least 5 are good enough or better then whats on display. Should O'Connor go? two subs he made last night were weird. 1 0 down and he brings on a slow defender for a defender and a defender for a midfielder :confused: Best header of a ball (striker) sitting on the bench in Shane Guiren. Now we have to play the top two in the next two weeks. We've lost four of our last seven games and scraped over the rest, i think with the way we're playing its going to be hard to avoid re-election.

Westside
06/08/2005, 5:26 PM
Very true gael, I said from the moment Nolan & Kerins made thier debuts for us that they were, for want of a better word...........Journeymen, both similar players..........headless, gutless and hinder the team more than help them.If Noc continues to employ long ball tatics then the obvious chioce would be Guerin. McGauley is a liability, 3 sendings off this term and far too slow for a full back.The jury is still out on Wolfe for me, I understand he hoofs the ball far to many times but I wouldn't get shot of him just yet, maybe a stint on the bench might wake him up a bit. Squad could be trimmed a bit Nolan, Kerins & McGauley are 3 who if they left wouldn't be missed. What bugs me is when Noc writes in his programme notes about wanting commitment, determination, and 100% from his players and these 3 amigos are a direct contradiction of that, but still he persists with them. I said before the balance of the team is all wrong now and its reflecting in our results of late.
Get back to basics gaffer..................

1. Mooney, 2. O'Mahony, 3. Tobin, 4. Finnucane, 5. Buckley, 6. Sweeney, 7. Donnellen, 8. Keating, 9. Kelleher, 10. Barrett, 11. Young.

Subs: Guerin, Wolfe, O'Sullivan, Ryan, Bourke.

Again I wouldn't get rid of the "o wise one" (Noc) just yet, he needs the season to see where he has taken this side. I don't think using last year as a guide to measure this seasons success/failures is a fair assessment either. Last year we were a laughing stock, and were the whipping boys of the division. Yes we are better off than last season but the genuine fans frustration is in basic managerial errors that have cost us precious points this season.

sligoman
06/08/2005, 6:45 PM
Ok i think IMO that our season is over okI know it's your opinion but I dont think Limerick's season is over just yet. Ye play us next saturday and if ye beat us(which is not impossible at the minute) then ye're only 5 points behind us. So to say that your season is over, at this stage, is a bit stupid in my view. Maybe ye cant get a good run of winning every game going at the moment but ye are still in with a chance of a play-off spot at least. :)

Kerry Blue
06/08/2005, 7:43 PM
Again I wouldn't get rid of the "o wise one" (Noc) just yet, he needs the season to see where he has taken this side. I don't think using last year as a guide to measure this seasons success/failures is a fair assessment either. Last year we were a laughing stock, and were the whipping boys of the division. Yes we are better off than last season but the genuine fans frustration is in basic managerial errors that have cost us precious points this season.
I think in fairness to NOC we have to give him the season but having seen us play this season it is becoming aparent that NOC has no 'Plan B' when things aren't going our way and when this is the case you have to seriously question a manager's ability to manage a team. This was never more evident than last night. Being a goal down in the second half we persisted in hitting high balls into the City defense which allowed Price and Scully to clear easily every time. Did it not dawn on the "o wise one" to change tactics and play the ball on the ground to use the obvious pace of Kelliher and Donellan (when he came on) to open up the City defense. On the odd time Robbie ran at Scully he couldn't cope and Robbie was possibly unlucky not to have got a penalty. But right to the very end it was long ball all the way. Coupled to this two late substitutions were both defenders! :eek: Did NOC not know we were a goal behind and not ahead. Bringing on Stephen O'Mahony in the last minute was baffling. :confused: What on earth did NOC hope Stevo could possibly do in so little time? It isn't the first time this season that he left it too late to introduce someone in the hope of improving things.

4tothefloor
06/08/2005, 10:05 PM
To be fair to McGauley I wouldn't hold last nights sending off against him. He had to make a tackle as there was a Kilkenny player free waiting for the ball to be squared. I'd prefer to see a player make a tackle to try and save a situation, rather than not bother in case he'd be sent off. I feel sorry for McGauley. He is a centre half who hasn't been given a chance in his best position. Instead we've seen Wolfe and now Molan tried there, neither of whome are centre halves! It's baffling, absolutely baffling. Tom McGauley is a fine centre half and should be partnering Finny. Instead he's out on the wing being played as a full back. Imagine Sligo Rovers signing Finny, and then playing him left back. That's how stupid it is. That is the genius of Noel O'Clueless :rolleyes:

The Butcher hasn't a clue what he's doing IMO. I have always said that i'm willing to give him the full season, and i'll stick to my word. But no prizes for guessing whose head i'll be calling for come November. It's painstaking to have to watch that s**t every second week, it really is. As a fan who goes to every home game i'll admit it's very hard to watch, not a lot of entertainment value. I can fully understand why the roaming supporter has deserted Hogan Park. No man who is in two minds about going to see Limerick would give up a round of golf, or a few pints in the pub to watch that crap. He'd be insane.

LFC Blue
08/08/2005, 8:31 AM
What's with this long ball up to the Kilkenny left back time and time again. Absolutely pathetic football from Limerick. And when i thought things couldn't possibly get any worse a few Limerick fans start singing about their Garden Gnome :o :o

Roadend
08/08/2005, 9:28 AM
What was it with Limerick's awful set pieces the other night. Everythiing being hit to the back post and all bar one, Finni's header off the bar, was hit too long. For a team as blatantly devoid of tactics as Limerick have been lately, shouldn't set-pieces be looked on as a way to score goals. To say they are shambolic from set-pieces is an understatement.

sadloserkid
08/08/2005, 11:17 AM
And when i thought things couldn't possibly get any worse a few Limerick fans start singing about their Garden Gnome :o :o

I thought that was funny (well I would do as I started it I suppose...) I stole it from Cork City fans if I'm to be totally truthful though. I was just trying to lighten the gloom. Surely I deserve some credit for that! :p

Lim till i die
08/08/2005, 2:22 PM
What's with this long ball up to the Kilkenny left back time and time again. Absolutely pathetic football from Limerick. And when i thought things couldn't possibly get any worse a few Limerick fans start singing about their Garden Gnome :o :o

I bloody well told SLK the Garden Gnome chant wouldn't fly :D

Seriously Friday night was the absolute pits, a team completely devoid of guidance of any kind.

On the plus side Robbie did have that past it journeyman Scully in his pocket for 90 minutes :)

LFC in Exile
09/08/2005, 9:09 AM
The defeat on Friday really was down to poor management IMO. Kilkenny were not great - except at the heart of the defence - but even then we played directly to their strengths. High balls to Scully and price are completely wasted. When RK ran at Scully the poor old man was destroyed. (The penalty decision was amazing - I know obstruction is an indirect free kick but I can't see how it could be obstruction when the ball is knocked past the defender and he steps into the strikers path). Anyway, that was the route we should have tried more. Also once big centre halves like that are turned facign tehir own goals they are in trouble. This means getting past the full backs and crossing. Donnellan tried it (though his crossing was woeful). Kerins wasn't able (he really was bad) and Keating is not a winger.

The worrying thing is not that we played a certain way but that when it was blatantly obviously not working we didn't change. Could NOC not see that Scully and Price were winning everything in the air but were vulnerable on the ground? After an hour - 1-0 down - try something else.

LFC in Exile
09/08/2005, 9:40 AM
I have always said that i'm willing to give him the full season, and i'll stick to my word. But no prizes for guessing whose head i'll be calling for come November.

Yeah, lets give him a trial and then hang him. :)

declan hide
09/08/2005, 10:39 AM
The defeat on Friday really was down to poor management IMO. Kilkenny were not great - except at the heart of the defence - but even then we played directly to their strengths. High balls to Scully and price are completely wasted. When RK ran at Scully the poor old man was destroyed. (The penalty decision was amazing - I know obstruction is an indirect free kick but I can't see how it could be obstruction when the ball is knocked past the defender and he steps into the strikers path). Anyway, that was the route we should have tried more. Also once big centre halves like that are turned facign tehir own goals they are in trouble. This means getting past the full backs and crossing. Donnellan tried it (though his crossing was woeful). Kerins wasn't able (he really was bad) and Keating is not a winger.

The worrying thing is not that we played a certain way but that when it was blatantly obviously not working we didn't change. Could NOC not see that Scully and Price were winning everything in the air but were vulnerable on the ground? After an hour - 1-0 down - try something else.

Hasn’t this been the story for the season so far? arent we just going round in circles after each game? Poor management. High balls. RK having to do it all himself…seriously hes having to pick up balls just inside the oppositions half and beat three players to see sight of goal – no wonder his return hasn’t been great. In general I haven’t been impressed with Donnellan at all. As for Kerins…please…no more…the lad doesn’t look like he has the basics of football. Keating on the wing…I couldn’t dream that sh1te up. Nolans few goals don’t paper over the fact he is lazy and could do a lot more. NOC hasn’t changed tactics during matches all season and no-one on this board can understand his team selection. We want the best for Limerick FC…and stuff like this just doesn’t add up and make sense to Limerick FC fans…nor would it add up and make sense to anyone with some degree of football knowledge.

i wouldnt even call it criticism. its just intrigue.

LFC in Exile
09/08/2005, 11:15 AM
Can't disagree with much there, Mr Hide. No matter how hard I try :)