PDA

View Full Version : England travel

Gerrit
06/08/2005, 3:37 PM
In October I'm going to England for a week for 3 concerts of Echo & The Bunnymen. The concerts are in Manchester, Leeds, and Birmingham.

Of course, while there, I hope to do some sightseeing as well. I'll be staying two days in each of the three cities.
Does anyone know the area and these cities a bit, and can anyone give me some touristic hints ?

Peadar
08/08/2005, 7:56 AM
Does anyone know the area and these cities a bit, and can anyone give me some touristic hints ?

Will you have a car?
What are your interests with regards to tourist sites?

Lionel Ritchie
08/08/2005, 9:42 AM
Was over in Leeds last week Gerrit and it's a good town for going out, entertaining and the bit of culture. We spent most of an afternoon in the Henry Moore Institute and Leeds City Gallery which is only a couple of hundered meters from City Square/Central Station.

http://www.leeds.gov.uk/artgallery/

Dunno if you're massively interested in Art but if you are even curious it's well worth a look. As well as Moore I saw work by Barbara Hepworth, Andy Goldsworthy, Lowry, Gilbert & George ... and some of the contemprary stuff was very good too. Check out the shop in the basement as well -some lovely stuff in there and all available to buy on credit at 0% interest.

But for the fact we'd ryanair-ed it over we'd have emptied the place.

Some lovely pubs and restaurants (check out Tampopo - http://www.itchyleeds.co.uk/venues/398.html thai/vietnamese/japanese place on South parade -that's half way between the Gallery and City Square) too and generally a good bit cheaper than going out in Ireland.

Gerrit
08/08/2005, 6:57 PM
Will you have a car?
What are your interests with regards to tourist sites?

Unfortunately no car, everything is done by train/bus (whatever is cheapest to travel between the three cities I'm visiting)

My specific interests: architecture ! Some nice old buildings (eg cathedrals, opera houses, churches, ...) and I'll probably like the city. Bit of nice scenery is also welcome at anytime. Some good music stores to pick up rarities is also appreciated as well, certainly on a trip built around concerts like this one ; but most important is architecture for me.

For the evenings: "alternative" nightlife (eg indie/rock pubs rather than regular dancings)

Peadar
09/08/2005, 8:27 AM
Birmingham is one of my least favourite places in England.
It's like a bleek industrial city you'd see in Belgium only less tidy.

Check out these websites...
Visit England, Destination Guide (http://www.visitengland.com/destinationguides/index.aspx)
Manchester (http://www.visitenglandsnorthwest.com/displaypage.asp?page=27)
English Cities (http://www1.visitbritain.com/VB3-en-ie/?source=ppc)
City of Manchester Stadium (http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/united_kingdom/england/north_west/manchester_city_stadium.shtml)
Birmingham (http://www.birminghamswebsite.co.uk/attraction/index.htm)
Leeds City Council (http://www.leeds.gov.uk/menuPage.aspx?view=&style=&typeIdentifier=26-9-2003-87995768&subTypeIdentifier=26-9-2003-632434111)
A Castle in Yorkshire (http://www.skiptoncastle.co.uk/gallery.htm)
The Royal Armouries Museum (http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=2222)

ciaran76
09/08/2005, 9:08 AM
I don't like Birmingham either but if you are travelling down from Manchester then goto Chester. Its a nice city to visit.

Lionel Ritchie
09/08/2005, 9:57 AM
I should point out that the misnomerically monikered Leeds Castle is nowhere near Leeds. It's not even in Yorkshire. According to the link -it's near Maidstone which is down in Kent about halfway between London and Hastings.

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 10:07 AM
I don't like Birmingham either but if you are travelling down from Manchester then goto Chester. Its a nice city to visit.
Good call. Colleges should be back by then so it'll be fairly lively there as well.

Peadar
09/08/2005, 10:22 AM
goto Chester. Its a nice city to visit.

They still do some of the street scenes for Hollyoaks down there. ;)

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 10:23 AM
They still do some of the street scenes for Hollyoaks down there. ;)
Can i come with ya, Gerrit?

ciaran76
09/08/2005, 11:46 AM
Can i come with ya, Gerrit?

Thats disgusting :p :eek: :p

fosterdollar
09/08/2005, 11:56 AM
Thats disgusting :p :eek: :p
too easy

davey
09/08/2005, 10:27 PM
Birmingham is one of my least favourite places in England.
It's like a bleek industrial city you'd see in Belgium only less tidy.

]

Maybe you haven't been in a while. Currently reinventing itself and anyone interested in Modern Architecture will marvel at the new Selfridges building. It gets a bad press but scratch beneath the surface and you'll find a buzzing vibrant city with plenty to shout about.

Oh and its by far the best place in Britain to spend St Patricks day if you can't get home :)

Réiteoir
09/08/2005, 10:42 PM
Head down to Broad Street for a decent night out in Birmingham.

Also try The Mailbox for decent restaurants and bars.

Everything is pretty close to New Street Railway Station - plus there is also a Travelodge on Broad Street that I myself have stayed in before - pretty decent for little cash.

Pat O' Banton
10/08/2005, 8:51 AM
Manchester to Leeds is about £10 return on transpennine express train from Piccadilly.

There appeared to to be a good few goths around the University area of Manchester the other night so check out the goth scene in the University on Monday's. For Decent pubs, Brition's Protection near Deansgate is quite good loads of different small rooms around the place Lowenbrau on tap, with some decent bitters - it is a bit more pricey then some of the other pubs. Salford Arms near Salford Central station always gets good review for its beer.

When you go to Leeds you might want to think about staying in Dewsbury (the home of goth!) its about 15 minutes outside Leeds on the train. Pubs for you would be the Old Turk, and the JFK both goth and punk, there is also a goth club which I can never remember the name off but I will find out from a mate who lives out that way and post it up here, try these on Saturday (Bunnymen are playing Leeds Friday and no concert Saturday I think.)

Birmingham I can't help you with I'm afraid.

CollegeTillIDie
10/08/2005, 8:22 PM
Was in Birmingham last year visiting a now ex-girlfriend. Thought it a very nie city. The centre is grand. There is a very old historic church right smack in the middle of the modern shopping part.

Went to the theatre there and saw a great play "The Crucible" by Arthur Miller. And St. Andrews ground is not far from the city centre if you had time to take in a match.

Thunderblaster
11/08/2005, 11:54 PM
Why not visit a proper city with a true Irish heritage.....Liverpool!!

Plastic Paddy
12/08/2005, 6:14 AM
Maybe you haven't been in a while. Currently reinventing itself and anyone interested in Modern Architecture will marvel at the new Selfridges building. It gets a bad press but scratch beneath the surface and you'll find a buzzing vibrant city with plenty to shout about.

Oh and its by far the best place in Britain to spend St Patricks day if you can't get home :)

Well said Davey. I spent eleven years living in Brum. Great place and great people. Anyone found dissing Birmingham will have to report to me. ;)

:ball: PP

Peadar
12/08/2005, 8:27 AM
Why not visit a proper city with a true Irish heritage.....Liverpool!!

Because he's Belgian and see's enough Irish heritage in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Birmingham is a dump! :p

davey
12/08/2005, 10:50 AM

I think I'll ignore the opinion of someone who lives in Reading :p :p

Peadar, you really should revisit Birmingham, preferably with someone who knows the city well. I guarantee you will have a ball as long as you stay away from Broad St.

sligoman
12/08/2005, 11:48 AM
as long as you stay away from Broad St.I'm curious now, what's wrong with Broad Street?

sligoman
12/08/2005, 11:51 AM
Why not visit a proper city with a true Irish heritage.....Liverpool!!Cos he wants to keep his possessions :D :p

davey
12/08/2005, 12:08 PM
I'm curious now, what's wrong with Broad Street?

Broad st is a long neon strip of chain bars and clubs. Lots of people love it but I find it boring and expensive. Quite likely to get into a fight and you can never get a taxi. Maybe I'm just a bit too old for it.

Digbeth is the best night out IMHO, closely followed by moseley.

Peadar
12/08/2005, 12:43 PM
Peadar, you really should revisit Birmingham, preferably with someone who knows the city well.

Did some work in Burton-on-Trent in May and spent a night in Birmingham. My mate lives there. It wasn't as bad as 1999 but still not a city I like.

By the way, Reading is really nice now, I think you should revisit there. :p

Gerrit
14/08/2005, 5:19 PM
Because he's Belgian and see's enough Irish heritage in Ireland. :rolleyes:

Because I've already visited Liverpool last December to see the Bunnymen, visited it again in June for job reasons, and may visit again in December for another Bunnymen gig... I've seen Liverpool already, don't worry ;) Now first tackeling Leeds, Manchester and B'ham :)

Thanks for all the hints, lads, keep 'em coming !

Thunderblaster
15/08/2005, 2:37 PM
If you are single, go to Nottingham. Women outnumber men by 10/1. :D

Gerrit
15/08/2005, 7:56 PM
:eek: Seems like my next destination is set then :D I'm sure they'll perform in Nottingham as well sooner or later...

Still no date in Belfast and Dublin :eek: Come on management, I'm getting impatient ! :mad:

Peadar
16/08/2005, 8:14 AM

Did I read that it also has the highest rate of STD's in teenage girls in Britain?
Also has more armed police.

Great night out though. :D

Babysis
16/08/2005, 8:23 AM

Supposedly not anymore. My boss was there on Friday and he said its not full of women at all. Sounds like a myth made up by the nottingham tourist board to me :D ;)

Macy
16/08/2005, 8:32 AM
Supposedly not anymore. My boss was there on Friday and he said its not full of women at all. Sounds like a myth made up by the nottingham tourist board to me :D ;)
Full of the men looking for their 10 women now I'd say. A macro version of what happened to Coppers.... :D

Pat O' Banton
16/08/2005, 8:46 AM
Because I've already visited Liverpool ... in June for job reasons,

Not a pharse I thought I'd ever hear!!!

Peadar
16/08/2005, 8:49 AM
Not a pharse I thought I'd ever hear!!!

He never said what kind of job it was.
Could be one of the ones you have to pay for! :eek: :D

Pat O' Banton
18/08/2005, 8:46 AM
He never said what kind of job it was.
Could be one of the ones you have to pay for! :eek: :D

Sorry I just worked out what you meant - I take it were talking about the jobs that Mr. W. Rooney allegedly had in Liverpool ;) :D

Partizan
18/08/2005, 8:57 AM
Did I read that it also has the highest rate of STD's in teenage girls in Britain?

Great night out though. :D

awriite chuckie :p