PDA

View Full Version : Galway United 1-1 Sligo Rovers

sligoman
05/08/2005, 11:44 PM
Just back from Galway now. It was a fairly poor performance from both sides which led to a fairly boring game, but then you have to expect that every once in a while. Overall the result was fair as no team really deserved to take all the points :(.

Petmuller
06/08/2005, 12:18 AM
Don't agree at all with your summation as I don't think Rovers did enough to get a point. Rovers were in disarray from the start. Too many poor performances for my liking. Team totally unbalanced. As has now become the norm O' Hara was outstanding between the sticks only for him Galway would have and should had the game won by half-time. Rossitor was way off the mark, his passing even when he had time was nothing short of deplorable. Low has had one of his worst games since joining Rovers, wasn't tuned in at all tonight. Burns had a nightmare. I don't think this guy is training at all and if he's going to stary at the club he'll have to reside in the town as this business of flying in for games and home again is not on this day and age. Carr was terrific, if only the rest would show the same courage and heart as this man, my man of the match. Feeney was totally out of it, did absolutely nothing constructive all game. Should have been substituted after half an hour as the writing was on the wall even then. O' Grady's passing has gone to the dogs. His heart is certainly in the right place but his over zealous challanges is only getting himself booked and the points are adding up as he's been booked in every game since his suspension. Must be due another couple of games soon. No good to the side when this is happening.
Faz was hot and cold, when cold he was freezing. Needs to get himself more involved in the game and certainly will have to get himself off the mark score wise. He'll certainly not get there the way he's going. Ralf's best position is right full. I have said before that he's wasted in this position but I've since formed the opinion that he'll serve the club best in defence. A sound performance but his best was when he went back to cover for Rossitor. Flannery's supply of the ball was nil most of the time. We don't have anyone in midfield that is capable of supplying a decent through ball something our forwards would thrive on. Until we find someone that can feed the forwardline it's no good who we play up front as we can't score when we don't have the ball. McTiernan took his goal very well and almost scored immediately afterwards, if he had only got a touch. Brown battled very hard when he got his chance but again the supply is not there from midfield and he played most of his time tracking back looking for the ball which is no good when your job is scoring. McCann came on for Rossitor and to make place for him the whole side was disrupted. He replaced Low at left full, who in turn replaced Faz on the left side of midfield, who in turn replaced Ralf out on the right of midfield when he slotted into Rossitor's position. An awful lot of changing to replace one man?

Has the bubble burst .... I think so.

The County Dawg
06/08/2005, 1:18 AM
listening to Ocean fm the verdict was pretty even in the first half but galway owned the second.
petmuller, you seem to always give an unbiased report on sligos travels......maybe you should get a job in the press.....well done

Aaron GUFC
06/08/2005, 2:42 AM
.....No Sligo fan can disagree cos if they did they would be completely bias. ;) Galway United were ROBBED. The ref was a disgrace. Derek O'Brien=Legend! :D Disapointed in Barry for missing the peno as he played great and hes on form.

rockstar
06/08/2005, 7:30 AM
Cant agree with that statment ,thought the game was evenly balanced most of the time,how you can say you were robbed is beyond me,i had a good view of the penalty incident and i feel he got it 100% right,dont often comment on referees but i feel this ref was very fairyou should see some of the ones we get,anyway a draw was a fair result on the night and some of the galway players didnt look intrested at times,again Gerry Carr was our best preformer on the night all in all well take a point and it might be the start of a revival.

garykelly
06/08/2005, 9:06 AM
btw derek o brien is a cheat tbh i no it, ill admit it, here's a statistic in the last 3 games including this evening fixture derek o brien has won 3 penalties :o from diving, but we can take alot from this game and with around 14 games left its all to play for :D

vinny, this is very big of you to post this. An honest and non-bias comment. Fair play to you. O'brien kissing the crest was a bit of a joke cos i believe he'd leave galway at the drop of a hat should a better option arise. The fact he dives all over the place suggests a lazy player.

Alan O'Donovan is a great player. Saw him for Mervue in con cup final and he simply ran the show.

A draw was a fair result, although either side could have lost the game. After ye scored it looked more likely that the team to lose would be us.

I'd thought we played some really good stuff, albeit after we scored. I'd say to people not to be too critical of our performance. The goal was class and the flick from Feeney was great. Personally with the way the front line has gone i'd try feeney up there and bring murtagh into midfield. O'Grady alongside Feeney is not really working as Conor has to do too much to cover midfield, leading to some last ditch tackling. I think Conor is suspended now for two games. He's got 3 yellow i think in 3 games and it's his third suspension so i think he's out for two. open to correction though.

It seemed to me as the game wore on that our players have lost their hunger to win, get to the ball first and generally be involved for more than 50% of a game. Our right back issue is worse than ever. Rossiter was at fault for the peno incident as Derek O'Brien simply ghosted past him. I dont like giving out about players but Ian looked too pedestrian all game and like last week proved a weak link. Cretaro should go back to right full, at least until r o'donnell is back, if he'll be back. Raph is a wonderful player and gives his all every game. His eagerness to get the ball and do well for rovers is second to none. Our best player along with O'Haras shot stopping although i do think O'Hara has to start coming off his line. Burns og was avoidable as i think the 'keeper might have commanded the situation. I think while Galway missed a peno and hit the post, that they might not have scored cos things just werent going for them in front of goal. but that's not suggesting galway didnt deserve a draw. they did. It was an entertaining game.

The pitch at Terryland is an example of what a pitch should be. It's looks class. It's a great set-up right through, from the match programme to the club shop. It's great to see supporters and those running the club working together for the benefit of soccer in Galway. It's a credit to everyone involved at the club.

feo123
06/08/2005, 9:23 AM
.....No Sligo fan can disagree cos if they did they would be completely bias. ;) Galway United were ROBBED. The ref was a disgrace. Derek O'Brien=Legend! :D Disapointed in Barry for missing the peno as he played great and hes on form.
were u at the game?? He gave ye f*****g EVERYTHING!! :mad:

Redzer
06/08/2005, 10:00 AM
I think Petmuller got it mostly right. Carr was our man of the match. Feeney is pushed of the ball too easily for my liking. Rossiter is carrying on where he left off. He will cost us games, mark my words.
Once McT and Flannery went off, we lost our attacking forwards. Foley and Brown created nothing. Brown gave away free after free, for a big man he should be better in the air.
McCann played well, but to change half the team to slot him in, says something. Burns was dissapointing. Faz, Raff, McT, Flannery, Carr and O'Hara are the only players who can hold their heads up. The rest under performed.
Galway would have won that game if they were any good. The penelty miss was a howler. Moran also had a header off the upright, a bit unlucky.
All in all it was an enjoyable game. A draw was a fair result. But we wont win anything if we continue with this level of performance.
By the way, fair play to the North Sligo and South Sligo boys who brought along banners for a bit of colour. Where, again was the drum? :(

The Stars
06/08/2005, 10:07 AM
When Derek O'Brien was playing for us in Terryland,every time he got the ball he was booed and called a waster and now because he wins a peno he is a legend...what the fcuk.

Anyway good first half but we went to sleep in the second.
Raf Creataro=Best right back in the country FACT.Dont play him right midfield when we need him more in defence.
Ian Rossiter is a waster.Anyone who taught he was half good must now admit after that preformance that he is sh!te.

Da Real Rover
06/08/2005, 11:29 AM
Thank you Vinny for not mincing your words and for saying it how it is. But that post by Aaron, that is a joke. We did not deserve to win and neither did galway. We we're sh!te all over the park apart from Faz who ran rings around the galway defence and put in cross after cross, Raf we'll what can ya say about Raf he never gives less than 110% and never underperforms, a true legend. Conor was our lynch pin in midfield and was running the show there, Saint Paul is a genious and it shows how much we really depend on him, once he was taken off we lost all chance of scoring again, Gerry Carr forever giving his all, O'Hara a genious in goal. Galway have really improved and they deserve credit for there performance but being honest and unbiased they didnt deserve all 3 points. Raf should neither be played at defence or midfield he should be upfront with McT it is proven that electric pace and decent finishing make sh!te out of Mediocre First Division sides. As for the Ref, he had a good first half but i dont know what Lally said or did for him at half time well it worked for Galway. The same old sh1te where a challenge by a Rovers player is a yellow card when a Galway player gets a warning. Did anyone else see the linesman who saw Lavine swinging elbows at Rovers players during a scuffle and then the Lineo puts up his flag and puts it down before the ref notices, that was a disgrace. Even so id rather that ref any day before Duddy or Hilda. What really left a sour taste in the mouth was O'Briens cheating and most of all how Lavine conducted himself on the pitch, Lavine was a disgrace and deserved to get the red multple times but got nothing. Also do players not get punished for taunting fans.

Rovers1
06/08/2005, 12:28 PM
i see a few simularities between this Galway team and our team for the past few years, apart from a SHI T lazy right winger,Derek O Brien,SO HAPPY when Moran missed the peno!!! a very unbalanced team,aggresive with maybe one talented player (Longford reject Lavine),everytime the ref turned his back,a Galway man had his fist in a Rovers players face. Galway are a hit and hope side going nowhere just like we were a couple of years ago. And,like us, were over the moon with a DRAW against the best team in the league!! shows what Galways ambitions are when theyre happy with a draw.

as for the game,we ripped apart Galway in the first half,although we were lucky not to lose with Dereks dive and a galway man hitting the post. Game could have gone either way

Aaron GUFC
06/08/2005, 12:44 PM
Galway did deserve to win. And the ref is a disgrace for giving us a peno. Derek O'Brien is a legend cos he won 3 penos in the last3 games, Its hilarious. The ref also letplay go on on several ocassions when players were fouled and didnt get advantage. Judging on our 2nd half performance we should of won its as simple as that.

sligoman
06/08/2005, 12:46 PM
Derek O'Brien is a legend cos he won 3 penos in the last3 games, Its hilarious.
And for some reason you think he's a "legend" for doing this? :confused: Dirty cheat is a bit more realistic

Rovers1
06/08/2005, 12:47 PM
Honestly i dont know how he gets first team football anywhere???

sligoman
06/08/2005, 12:49 PM
Honestly i dont know how he gets first team football anywhere???
Well as your new signature suggests, they'll take anyone. Especially Rovers rejects :D :p

Da Real Rover
06/08/2005, 12:57 PM
Galway did deserve to win. And the ref is a disgrace for giving us a peno. Derek O'Brien is a legend cos he won 3 penos in the last3 games, Its hilarious. The ref also letplay go on on several ocassions when players were fouled and didnt get advantage. Judging on our 2nd half performance we should of won its as simple as that.
What about our first half performance, or does that count for nothing. Either talk sense here or go back to the krusty forum because your just sh!t stirring. The ref was so bad and biased against us in the second half i even saw Galway fans laughing at some of the decisions he gave against us. Also you can keep that Rovers reject, take the scraps off our table all you want.

Rovers1
06/08/2005, 1:01 PM
Well as your new signature suggests, they'll take anyone. Especially Rovers rejects :D :p

whats lalllys number? ill give him a ring and try and oraganise a trial for myself,see they play the Dubs next,might do Rovers a favour and grab a hat-trick my self!!

sligoman
06/08/2005, 1:06 PM
whats lalllys number?

086-I'M SH!TE. That's 086-4674483 :D

Conor H
06/08/2005, 1:15 PM
i see a few simularities between this Galway team and our team for the past few years, apart from a SHI T lazy right winger,Derek O Brien,SO HAPPY when Moran missed the peno!!! a very unbalanced team,aggresive with maybe one talented player (Longford reject Lavine),everytime the ref turned his back,a Galway man had his fist in a Rovers players face. Galway are a hit and hope side going nowhere just like we were a couple of years ago. And,like us, were over the moon with a DRAW against the best team in the league!! shows what Galways ambitions are when theyre happy with a draw.

as for the game,we ripped apart Galway in the first half,although we were lucky not to lose with Dereks dive and a galway man hitting the post. Game could have gone either way
We weren't delighted with a draw against yee...we were delighted with a draw against the league leaders and the performance,especially in the second half.You have to remember back to the last game in terryland and how much we have improved since.

Galwayexile
06/08/2005, 2:54 PM
Well done sligo for stealing a point last night,

Red4Eva
07/08/2005, 7:31 PM
thought we were incredibly shaky at da start but after 15mins we settled&were miles better team for half an hr with mctiernan at his best. if he didn't go off i think we wud have won. considering we had 2 best chances(wen mct got injured&feeney somehow put dat one wide) apart from either goal i think it's quite proposterous to say that we robbed a point even if galway were better team in 2nd half. also eric lavine shud hav been sent off. on balance of play&chances i doubt either manager. no way was dat a peno either. how cud ye possibly stick up4derek after he left for more money&only went back cos he was a spectacular failure&we cudnt get rid of him quick enuff. kissin da crest after dat is jus disgraceful. i'm disappointed dat galway fans have to spoil a decent match(wit good atmosphere&crowd) by comin on here and claiming we robbed a point. i think dat jus shows how petty&childish certain posters are

what a performance by gerry carr!! lavine didnt get a sniff

Rovers1
07/08/2005, 9:44 PM
what a performance by gerry carr!! lavine didnt get a sniff

agreed!! Gerry aint as good as he was but,put a high ball in and gerry will always win against player like Lavine

Petmuller
07/08/2005, 11:01 PM
gerry carr is still a great player and servent to sligo rovers and was your best player, agreed i dont like derek o brien he dives etc, but the fact of the matter is that you had three real chances two of those to a player that was subbed of during the first alf, and feeney missed a howler, fact is fact we had a peno we hit the post we scored and o hara made a fantastic save, you coming out and saying that and i dont speak for all galway fans that we deserved to win is childish, is folly, the fact is we are the underachieving mid table outfit and the great sligo brought a team of superstars that we bereft of ideas and looked tired and happy with the draw, dont post sh!te just to shoot below the belt plz, say it like it is, personally i hope 1 of us goes up, but if sligo play like that much longer they will soon find that they are on the trails of a very good dublin city side,

Vinny I agree with most of what you say.
What I don't agree with is your comment that Dublin City is a very good side. Having seen most sides in this league at least twice I have to say that there's not one good side in this division. All teams are capable of beating each other and there's a long way to go before this league draws to it's conclusion. Consistancy is the name of the game and should any team adapt some class of form then they are well capable of walking away with it. Rovers have put together a decent run but there has been called a halt to our gallop. The truth of the matter is that we were more than lucky on a number of occasions and we rode our luck well. Luck will play a huge part in whose to eventually gain freedom from this awful division.
One thing I will say in Dublin's favour and it's this, in Dermot Keely they have the best manager in this division. I firmly believe that and I'd expect to get slated for saying it but it's my opinion. The team that breaks away from the pack and make it first to the finish line will be the team that has the greatest belief in themselves that they can do it. The manager is the man that has the job to instill that belief in his players. A good manager can make a good player out of an average one. That's the difference.
Keely leads the way, the rest have to prove that they are good enough, it's as simple as that.

Red4Eva
08/08/2005, 11:53 AM
it's a bit painful havin to call keely a good manager(considering the "tactics" he employs) but for the first division he knows what he's doin. i agree that there is no genuine good team in this division, if there was they'd be 10 points clear, all u have to do to win is not be sh*te really&a quick striker helps(o'reilly, collins or moran).

on friday's game i think galway have improved a lot. o'donovan is a good player. john russell was out too. i don't think they have da real bit of class tho to catch dublin city or us(once we get ourselves together).

how does it make a difference if 2 of our chances fell to a player who got injured? does that mean they're not chances??? also if steve missed a howler doesn't that mean it was a good chance. i wasn't sayin that no1 cud claim galway may have deserved to win, i was commenting on galwayexile sayin "well done sligo for stealing a point last night"

Aaron GUFC
08/08/2005, 12:57 PM
when i said that i meant, he got injured in the first half and 2 of your chances where in the first half and you had one chance in the second, if you read what i wrote i said you had 3 real chances i never said that they werent chances :)

Rambler1
08/08/2005, 2:09 PM
Has the bubble burst .... I think so.
Never mind ye will change personalities when ye play us in 2 weeks and have the best performance of the year. Don't know what it is about us that raises yer game but it happens everytime. Should be good game once again though......

Red4Eva
08/08/2005, 3:35 PM
Never mind ye will change personalities when ye play us in 2 weeks and have the best performance of the year. Don't know what it is about us that raises yer game but it happens everytime. Should be good game once again though......

didnt think we were at our best either time we played ye. played well in 1st half in showgrounds&ok in st.colman's

Da Real Rover
08/08/2005, 5:42 PM
Why must every debate between Rovers supporters and Galway supporters fall into bickering, In fairness Vinny gave a fair and balanced match report but Aaron and galway exile all you are doing is stirring up agro. Cop onto yourselves and talk sense or p1ss off to your forum. Personnally i dont want to read your squabbling on our forum.

Aaron GUFC
11/08/2005, 1:35 AM
Aaron is at my house and i posted while he was logged in, my bad :o

...Da Real Rover I didnt stir up sh!te at all ;) Be Careful in future Vinny youre letal under my name :D :p

Rovers1
11/08/2005, 6:36 PM
all this talk of match reports, im bringing a note pad and pen with me to Limerick game. :p