PDA

View Full Version : UCD 1 - 1 Finn Harps

Poor Student
05/08/2005, 8:44 PM
We went behind only for Martin to equalise from the spot for the second week running. Disappointing result. I hope at the very least we outplayed them. We can give up any hope of progressing any further up the table with results like this. :mad:

CollegeTillIDie
05/08/2005, 11:46 PM
We went behind only for Martin to equalise from the spot for the second week running. Disappointing result. I hope at the very least we outplayed them. We can give up any hope of progressing any further up the table with results like this. :mad:

First half was very even and half-time saw the scoreline still blank.
Harps goal was a cracker. Stephen Capper fired it home from around 30 yards.
We showed character to come back and equalise. And Willie Doyle came on as a sub three minutes from time.

pineapple stu
06/08/2005, 2:09 AM
After last week's great performance in Dalymount, UCD were brought back down to earth with a point from a dull game against bottom of the table Finn Harps in Belfield.

Unsurprisingly, UCD kept the same team as last week, with Damien Dupuy not considered fit enough to make the squad. Brian Shortall came onto the bench, as did the returning Willie Doyle. Aaron McEniff made his league home debut at left back, a position which he could hold for some time in the light of Rob McAuley's departure.

Very little of interest happened in the first half; UCD were arguably the better team but found Harps' often massed defence hard to break down. Harps' defence was particularly shaky, with the back four hoofing into touch at the least sign of pressure being put on them. However, chances were at an absolute premium - the best being a volley from Robbie Martin from the edge of the area which went harmlessly wide.

Harps took the lead seven minutes into the second half - former Irish youth international Stephen Capper picked the ball up in midfield and tried a speculative 30-yard shot which took a deflection to lift it over Darren Quigley and into the top corner of the net.

The goal, wihch coincided with Harps' only real spell of superiority, failed utterly to spark any life into the game, although UCD were level again ten minutes later. Robbie Martin burst into the area and was brought down by Gavin Cullen in the Harps goal; Martin got up to score the penalty himself.

Martin was at the end of what little UCD did manage to create - a shot from the edge of the area was narrowly wide, while another run was only ended when he was brought down on the corner of the box. Pat McWalter did have a tame header spilled by Cullen, although there were no UCD players following in to capitalise, while sub Brian Gannon caused a few problems with a couple of mazy runs. Shortly before the end, Willie Doyle came on for his second debut and although he put himself about well, he failed to create any real openings, although in that he was not exactly alone.

UCD host Longford Town next week; in the first round of matches, Longford and Harps both claimed uninspiring 1-0 wins over UCD - Pete Mahon will be hoping next week's game doesn't complete a pair of uninspiring 1-1 draws.

UCD - Quigley; Mahon, McEniff, Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, Hurley (Gannon), Dicker, O'Donnell; Martin, McWalter (W Doyle). Subs not used - Gallagher, Shortall, Sammon.

Att - 394

Poor Student
06/08/2005, 10:21 AM
That's a platry attendence. However if Harps brought no fans then it is a good attendence on behalf of our fan base. How many did they bring?

My girlfriend watched the 2nd half of UCD v Bohs on TV last week and said to me we look like the kind of side who could play for 5 hours and not score. :( Hopefully Doyle can rectify that. At least it sounds like a freak goal as opposed to a defensive gaffe. How did McAniff look? Was the defence solid? Was Micko any more settled at left wing?

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2005, 3:15 PM
That's a platry attendence. However if Harps brought no fans then it is a good attendence on behalf of our fan base. How many did they bring?

My girlfriend watched the 2nd half of UCD v Bohs on TV last week and said to me we look like the kind of side who could play for 5 hours and not score. :( Hopefully Doyle can rectify that. At least it sounds like a freak goal as opposed to a defensive gaffe. How did McAniff look? Was the defence solid? Was Micko any more settled at left wing?

Harps had about 34 or 35 at the game. They made a lot of noise and helped with atmosphere... some of our fans shouted " Going Down Going Down Going Down... they responded .... So are we So are we so are we " :D

pineapple stu
06/08/2005, 3:53 PM
That's a paltry attendence.
When you consider the game last year had 293, then it's not too bad - up 33%, in fact. Harps reckon they brought about 50.

At least it sounds like a freak goal as opposed to a defensive gaffe. How did McAniff look? Was the defence solid? Was Micko any more settled at left wing?
The defence was fairly solid - Quigley had little enough to do. Micko had a decent game, as did Gannon on the other wing. We just don't have the creativity at the moment to break teams down... :(

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2005, 4:12 PM
When you consider the game last year had 293, then it's not too bad - up 33%, in fact. Harps reckon they brought about 50.

The defence was fairly solid - Quigley had little enough to do. Micko had a decent game, as did Gannon on the other wing. We just don't have the creativity at the moment to break teams down... :(

And we lack the height to play route one into the bargain ! ;)

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2005, 4:14 PM
pineapple stu.

You forgot about Tony Mc's first half header that Cullen the Harps keeper dived full length to save at the expense of a corner.

Poor Student
06/08/2005, 4:26 PM
And we lack the height to play route one into the bargain ! ;)

Paul Byrne would/will give us this option in my opinion. On this topic how close is he to full fitness?

I suppose you're right about the crowd Pineapple. This is as unappealing a league home game as we can get from an attendence point of view this season. Still means we had a core fanbase of 300 or so. Double the amount that went to see us play bottom of the table Limerick last season. How was the weather?

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2005, 4:33 PM
Paul Byrne would/will give us this option in my opinion. On this topic how close is he to full fitness?

I suppose you're right about the crowd Pineapple. This is as unappealing a league home game as we can get from an attendence point of view this season. Still means we had a core fanbase of 300 or so. Double the amount that went to see us play bottom of the table Limerick last season. How was the weather?

Three times what went to see us play mid table possible promotion contenders Cobh Ramblers to be fair too!

pineapple stu
06/08/2005, 4:42 PM
How was the weather?
Not raining, not sunny. Overcast, I suppose. I know of a fair few fans though who are away - Slovenia, Croatia, Denmark, US, etc. That's just from the few I know. Seems this is the reality of summer soccer, unfortunately.

A few lads - Paul Byrne, Allie Mac's brother, Sully and others - were in the hospitality area at half-time talking about Micko's miss last week in less than complimentary terms! Had the game on in the Montrose before heading over - for some reason, not entirely surprised that Gary Dicker was the only one to come in to watch himself! :)

Colie
07/08/2005, 5:35 PM
Even Pete Mahon agreed that we're on ly where we are coz we can't score. It's so damn frustrating.

CollegeTillIDie
08/08/2005, 7:33 AM
Even Pete Mahon agreed that we're on ly where we are coz we can't score. It's so damn frustrating.
If you look at UCD historically since we joined the League... please see Current Statistics thread... you will see we have HARDLY EVER been able to score consistently as a League club. 20 years ago we finished 4th in the League and our top scorer had 6 League goals to his name.

Willie Doyle last season was something of a blip as was Michael O'Byrne's two seasons reching 14 and Jayo's 13 in his final campaign for College.

carrickharp
08/08/2005, 7:41 AM
See link for some photos from Fridays match
Click Here (http://www.irishfootie.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=73)

Schumi
08/08/2005, 12:52 PM
Our inability to play well against the worse teams in the division is getting silly at this stage. We did nothing on Friday, the same away in Waterford and Harps and at home to Rovers.

they responded .... So are we So are we so are we " :D
I expected that reply but couldn't hear it over us.

Roo69
08/08/2005, 3:41 PM

Shocking match of football mirrored by a shocking crowd !

Both sides created very little real goal scoring chances throughout the 90 minutes, Cappers goal was a beauty but was defo helped by a slight deflection which gave it the spin to come back down under the bar. Harps could have no complaints about the peno, but there keeper was very poor for it, went right underneath him.

UCD by no means outplayed Harps, i reckon Harps had more of the ball in the 2nd half and did more with it, they where unlucky not to take all 3 points.

It was good to see Willie Doyle making his comeback for College, to good of a taalent to not be playing footie.

A few other eL managers (Doolin/Cousins and Mathews) there checking out both teams i presume and on that showing i dont think they have anything to fear.