PDA

View Full Version : £1000 a week for part timers?

wws
03/06/2001, 4:12 PM
Are NL wages out of control at the top?

Clubs cant get punters in at the gate, but still Shels stump up big money to sign best players. Can it be sustained or will small clubs like Dundalk bankrupt themselves again in an effort to pay the ridiculous wages for part time players of the likes of Stephen McGuinness?

Here are some interesting figures from Eamonn McCann in Sun Trib:

"Harps sources claim Keely was able to offer Minnock £1000 a game, and that this proved more attractive than Shamrock Rovers counter offer of £750 a match plus a rent-free house in the Dublin area"

"Part-timer Peter Hutton was on £400stg a week for Derry"

Daniel McD
03/06/2001, 6:36 PM
Well WWS, your message there inspired me to sign up to phootball.com, so it was a nice bit of advertising ...

Just better let you know some facts

[1] We are not a small club. In fact, our capture of the St Pats captain is more a restoration of proper order, than anything else. We have the money now. We may be a small club in world terms, but relative to any other League club, there isn't much difference. Any club that is financially stable will attract the players

[2] We are not going to bankrupt ourselves. If you go to my site, read the message board and any message by js, our financial controller, you will see that every £ spent this year has been budgeted, everything necessary has been done. This is the man who along with fellow co-op board have taken the club from £400,000 debt to acting with a £25,000 SURPLUS for the coming year

wws
03/06/2001, 6:46 PM
attendances on thursday in first div, source: Oriel web

by your own admission the Dundalk club have basically given up on proactively increasing gate revenue by leaving Thursday night fixtures for the premier so they can concentrate on developing the bar income

are you a football club or a drinking club?

Ridiculous wages for part timers wil restore the old order alright........Dundalk near liquidation again for the second time in how many years.

Stephen McGuiness was not a first team regular last season at Pats

the thread wasn't meant to be about Dundalk but there u go I think all clubs are paying too much

rebel yell
03/06/2001, 9:25 PM
Wages caps have never worked anywhere! it's up to the clubs
to be sensible. Cork Hibs went bust on gates of upto 10000 a week in the glory days. where did all that money go?- not on wages! Dundalk fans are fickle in a way. Consider there's not too many competing sports in Louth and weigh up the great tradition.
Then ask why <900 per week. Brave move by the club, come on
Dundlak support ur team, like we do ours.:confused:

Daniel McD
03/06/2001, 11:46 PM
900 a week in Division One, next year will be different story, and consistent away support also

Cork attendances this year have been poor once team dropped out of top two, so it's not really right to boast about Cork attendances is it ? When you were at Bishopstown things weren't great fanswise, so I wouldn't look to Cork for an example of fan loyalty ...

WWS... read this

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~chip/danview.html

We increased our wage bill significantly this year, paying for the likes of Martin Reilly etc etc, but still reduced our debt, so much so that we are working at a surplus. When relegated we had debts of £350,000. £72,000 remains, being mortgaged off at £8k over nine years. We are working at a surplus of £25k for this year. How do I know that ? Because our financial controller posts it on my site message board, and indeed as shareholders we were all showed the budgetary plans for the year ahead.

Other clubs [like ourselves up to two years ago] did everything behind closed doors, no one knew what was going on with the club, and financial crisis were and are sprung upon the fans. This will never happen with us again, because we have some brilliant businessmen in charge. Get ready, we're back for the long haul.

Proper order too

wws
03/06/2001, 11:54 PM
I think thats great for Dundalk.........maybe they could get onto the new NL commissioner and present that model for all NL clubs as a way of conducting financial affairs...open, accountable above board and budgeted within means.

All I know is Pats seem to have taken a deliberate policy to avoid unrealistic wage support for part timers..........remember wages are the topic of this thread not whether or not Dundalk have learnt from their last disaster, although I agree with your point that they obviously have learned their lessons...but how much of a sign on fee did u give McGuinness?

Is that on the record? Are his new wages?

Post them up if you have them from your financial controller?

pete
05/06/2001, 12:47 PM
For 750-1000 a week clubs should be getting professional footballers whose job is to play football!!!!

And we wonder why clubs can't go get a fulltime squad together :(

Aging players taking 750+ a week from clubs are bleeding the league dry! Can't blame them for taking the money if the clubs are offering though.....