PDA

View Full Version : Are red teams more successful than blue ?

OwlsFan
05/08/2005, 12:58 PM
Apart from in Sheffield of course (where neither is successful), the red teams seem to be more successful than the blue (Man U vs Man C, Liv vs Eve, Ars vs Chel). In fact, other than Rangers but their unmentionable rivals don't play in red), it's hard to think of any top club side that plays in blue (Inter M perhaps but are AC more successful ?).

So who can name consistently successful club sides that play in blue ?

pineapple stu
05/08/2005, 1:01 PM
FC Basel got to the Second Group stage (best ever achievement by a Swiss team) of the CL a few years back wearing red AND blue...what does that mean?! :confused: :)

FC Porto in Portugal are fairly successful - blue and white. I think CSKA Moscow wear blue as well? UEFA Cup champions.

Saw the theory before alright - wonder how many more teams play in red than in blue overall though?

sligoman
05/08/2005, 1:01 PM
The same applies to, Sligo Rovers(red) are more successful than Finn Harps(blue) :D

shedite
05/08/2005, 1:02 PM
Barcelona won the Spanish league wearing red and blue :eek:

sligoman
05/08/2005, 1:04 PM
Shelbourne and Derry are both red:eek:. I think this is one for the conspiracy thread, :D.

OwlsFan
05/08/2005, 1:08 PM
As an aside, what's David Pugh doing these days Sligoman. He's the only Sligo Rovers player I can recall from my LOI watching days.

Blue and red doesn't.

shedite
05/08/2005, 1:09 PM
Is this about politics???

http://libertyunbound.com/archive/2004_07/stooksbury-team.html

fosterdollar
05/08/2005, 1:11 PM
Longford Town vs Athlone Town ;)

sligoman
05/08/2005, 1:16 PM
As an aside, what's David Pugh doing these days Sligoman. He's the only Sligo Rovers player I can recall from my LOI watching days.
I have no idea to be honest. He used to be on the management comittee, I think. I haven't seen him at the Showgrounds in a good while. Maybe if you ask that in the Sligo Rovers forum someone there might be able to tell you ;).

superfrank
05/08/2005, 1:51 PM
Benfica have more Portuguese titles then Porto.

This is helped by the fact there have only been five different champions in Portugal ever. And the title has only been in three different cities.

ciaran76
05/08/2005, 2:31 PM
Benfica have more Portuguese titles then Porto.

This is helped by the fact there have only been five different champions in Portugal ever. And the title has only been in three different cities.

Sounds like a great league !!!! Actually i wonder is there many other countries have this kind of low Champions winners ?

pineapple stu
05/08/2005, 2:56 PM
That's mad (http://www.rsssf.com/tablesp/portchamp.html)! And Boavista won their first and only title just five years ago! Belenenses also have just one title win - back in 1945/46! You have to go back to 1971/72 to find a team with no titles even finishing in second place!! In fact, only Setabul and Academia have finished in second place without winning a title! :eek:

Poor Student
05/08/2005, 2:57 PM
Sounds like a great league !!!! Actually i wonder is there many other countries have this kind of low Champions winners ?

Latvia have just one winner, Skonto Riga have won all titles there I think. I know Slovenia have only had three NK Maribor, Olimpija Ljubljana and NK Gorica.

pineapple stu
05/08/2005, 2:59 PM
Skonto are 12 points adrift this year, with a 6-point penalty hanging over them too. Latvia and Slovenia haven't had leagues since 1938 either!

Poor Student
05/08/2005, 3:02 PM
Skonto are 12 points adrift this year, with a 6-point penalty hanging over them too. Latvia and Slovenia haven't had leagues since 1938 either!

So it seems the great runs of Rosenborg and Skonto are coming to an end. :eek: He didn't say how old the league had to be!

Schumi
05/08/2005, 3:27 PM
Rubbish. UCD (Blue) v Trinity (Red & black). End of that theory! :D

De Town
05/08/2005, 3:28 PM
Rubbish. UCD (Blue) v Trinity (Red & black). End of that theory! :D
are UCD not green now :confused: ;)

Tony Montana
05/08/2005, 7:22 PM
Only one I can think of is Valerenga who've won more titles than Lyn,but Lyn have won more cups I think?Apart from that,it holds true (even Genoa are more successful than Sampdoria!) :eek:

shedite
05/08/2005, 7:27 PM
In Italy.

AC Milan (red) - 17 titles
Inter Milan (blue) - 13 titles

Roma (red) - 3 titles
Lazio (blue) - 2 titles

CollegeTillIDie
05/08/2005, 11:44 PM
In Yugoslavia/Serbia Montenegro

Red Star ( red and White) edge ahead of Partizan ( black and white) in titles something like 22 to 20. Don't know of any successful team wearing blue in that country.

The County Dawg
06/08/2005, 1:02 AM
generally teams wearing bright colours do the best.
Chelsea, like Blackburn are exceptions as both were successful due to money.
Celtic have much the same reason although their predominately white stripe does help.
Best example of all was in germany. Bayern, wearing red, always seem to dominate their league but who remembers Borussia Dortmund in that horrible flourescent kit.

pineapple stu
06/08/2005, 1:10 AM
are UCD not green now :confused: ;)
That's our away kit. Or rather, our previous away kit as we're still waiting on O'Neill's to deliver the shorts for our new kit. :rolleyes:

who remembers Borussia Dortmund in that horrible flourescent kit.
I do. Very similar to Harps' kit. Hmmm...there goes the idea about bright jerseys being successful! :)

superfrank
06/08/2005, 12:29 PM
Marseille tend to do better then Nice who are from the same area. Same with Strasbourg (blue) and Metz (red).

1860 Munich are less succesful then Bayern. I think they're still in the German equivalent of our First.

Real don't wear blue but they are more succesful then Atletico, Rayo and Getafe.

Tony Montana
09/08/2005, 11:51 PM
Real don't wear blue but they are more succesful then Atletico, Rayo and Getafe.

:confused: :confused: But Real wear white,and Getafe wear blue.Whats your point there?

crc
10/08/2005, 12:25 AM
Successful blues:

Linfield
Club Brugge
OM

Red seems to be more successful on the whole, but Cork City seem to have more success when they're not in red (was the 1992/3 title in white and green?)

superfrank
10/08/2005, 11:23 AM
:confused: :confused: But Real wear white,and Getafe wear blue.Whats your point there?
I thought Getafe had abit of red in their jersey.

Anyway my point was in Madrid the red team are less succesful then other ones except Getafe.

anto eile
11/08/2005, 1:15 PM
In Yugoslavia/Serbia Montenegro

Red Star ( red and White) edge ahead of Partizan ( black and white) in titles something like 22 to 20. Don't know of any successful team wearing blue in that country.

under josip broz (tito) i beleive ,but am open to correction, that club teams had to wear the yugoslave colors in some form or another. red white and blue. (partizans away kit is blue and red btw and red/blue was their first choice kit for their first 13 years-between 1945-1958) http://www.soccerbot.com/yugo/tables/yugo05.htm seems to prove this mostly right with a couple of exceptions (obilic being the most obvious but their club crest is in the yugoslav colors ,example: http://www.worldfootball.org/logo.php/country/YUG/club/1000001055)
obilib are named after milos obilic - a serbian hero. (not a war-criminal type from recent times) but from the 14th century afaik
http://members.tripod.com/~fcobilic/obilic.html heres a picture of obilic playing in blue and white