PDA

View Full Version : Brasileiro (Brazilian Championship)

Kerry Blue
04/08/2005, 9:42 PM
I started following the Brasileiro this year after a relation of mine in the U.S. got me into it. He's married to a Brazilian girl who grew up beside Sao Paulo's stadium, so they are the team I've been following. They're not doing great in the league but won the Copa Libertadores and the Sao Paulo Championship. Also there are live games on TV each weekend which is helping me to get to know teams and players. Does anyone else have an interest or info on some good websites (in English!)?

jorge
04/08/2005, 10:00 PM
I like to see whats going on in Brazil.I'm more into the Peruvian League tbh.Here is a link (http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=78019&progr=16) to team updates and all the round-up.You probaby know about it already.

I saw Sao Paolo won the Libertadores they did well.I see they have Marcio Amorouso back (He was linked to Birmingham all last summer)What do you think about Corinthians worse than Chelsea imo.

Good to see your following South American football :)

Éanna
04/08/2005, 10:52 PM
Have always kept an eye out for fluminense for no reason other than I took a shine to their jerseys when I was about 9 or 10. Check the tables/results every now and again and if theres any live action on tv (e.g. bravo) I'll try and watch it. That said, I doubt if I could name any players or anything!

drinkfeckarse
05/08/2005, 8:10 AM
if theres any live action on tv (e.g. bravo) I'll try and watch it. That said, I doubt if I could name any players or anything!

Do you know what that makes you then Éanna................?

.......a barstooler ;) :D

paudie
05/08/2005, 8:16 AM
I think Ponte Preta are top at the moment, which is a bit of a surprise as they are a small club from Sao Paulo state.

Corinthians aren't doing well at all after all the money they spent. The minimum they'd expect is to qualify for the Copa, which means top 4 or 5.

drinkfeckarse
05/08/2005, 8:17 AM
.......or a locationally challenged supporter as OneRedArmy would say :D

paudie
05/08/2005, 9:41 AM
I think Ponte Preta are top at the moment, which is a bit of a surprise as they are a small club from Sao Paulo state.

Corinthians aren't doing well at all after all the money they spent. The minimum they'd expect is to qualify for the Copa, which means top 4 or 5.

Just looked at www.soccerbot.com and realised I was talking through mo hata in the last post as Corinthians are now top.

You go on holidays for 1 week and its all change in the Brasileiro :rolleyes:

lofty9
05/08/2005, 10:11 AM
Watched a great game at the weekend between Santos and Corinthians. Santos won 4 -2 but the defending was more funnier than Comical Crawleys on Wednesday night. Saw 'wonderkid' Robinho miss an open net form 2 yards - €40 million! That guy seems very lightweight- i reckon he'll be kicked around the place in Spain. You can see games on Sunday nights on sky digital ch 425 and brasilian ch Record 830 - its good to watch as it is attack, attack attack all the way. Check it out.

Kerry Blue
05/08/2005, 4:50 PM
Watched a great game at the weekend between Santos and Corinthians. Santos won 4 -2 but the defending was more funnier than Comical Crawleys on Wednesday night. Saw 'wonderkid' Robinho miss an open net form 2 yards - €40 million! That guy seems very lightweight- i reckon he'll be kicked around the place in Spain. You can see games on Sunday nights on sky digital ch 425 and brasilian ch Record 830 - its good to watch as it is attack, attack attack all the way. Check it out.
Watch out for 'my team' this weekend (Sao Paulo) against Goias. There's always loads of goals as the defenses aren't great, but then isn't that traditional with Brazilian football. :)

superfrank
06/08/2005, 12:37 PM
I like Corintians, don't know why just do. How's Tevez getting on, anyone know?

Also have a soft spot for Vascvo since they beat Man U in that World Cup thing a few years ago.

Gerrit
06/08/2005, 3:10 PM
I like... nobody. I absolutely dislike Brazialian soccer, both their clubs and national team.

I do have interest in South American soccer, but my main interests Argentinian, Bolivian, Peruvian, Ecuadorian, and Falklands.

The Brazilian national team only brings me fun when they lose, they're great to support AGAINST and to see them get hammered by Argentina :D
Brazilian football is arrogant. I hate it.

CollegeTillIDie
06/08/2005, 3:22 PM
I like... nobody. I absolutely dislike Brazialian soccer, both their clubs and national team.

I do have interest in South American soccer, but my main interests Argentinian, Bolivian, Peruvian, Ecuadorian, and Falklands.

The Brazilian national team only brings me fun when they lose, they're great to support AGAINST and to see them get hammered by Argentina :D
Was on holiday in South America and got to see some Group games from the Copa Libetadores... got to like some Chilean teams.
Visited the Club offices of Santiago Wanderers De Valparaiso and Club Deportivo Everton of Vina Del Mar and also visited their stadia.

Gerrit
06/08/2005, 3:25 PM
As long as it's not Brazil.

jorge
06/08/2005, 6:20 PM
Why??? :confused:

Kerry Blue
06/08/2005, 7:51 PM
Don't they have a reason to be arrogant! :rolleyes:
After all they have won the World Cup more times than any other country and some of the greatest players the world has ever seen have been Brazilian. You must tell me why you hate Brazil so much or are you just one of these 'fans' who hate any team thats successful? :confused:

hamish
06/08/2005, 8:28 PM
There is a Brazilian football programme on the same channel that hosts Bikini Beach. Also, for those with Sky, the Portuguese/Brazilian channel Record also has Brazilian footie.

Poor Student
06/08/2005, 8:38 PM
There is a Brazilian football programme on the same channel that hosts Bikini Beach.

Hamish how would you know that? :eek: Fan of word puzzles no doubt? :D

hamish
06/08/2005, 8:46 PM
Hamish how would you know that? Fan of word puzzles no doubt?

LOL :D :D

It's just before Setanta Ireland on the Sky thingamajig so it's easy to hit the wrong button - that's my excuse anyway. :D
What is amazing about BB is the unfortunatw women trying to talk $hite and fill in the time between phonecalls - how does that site pay for itself??

Poor Student
06/08/2005, 8:54 PM
LOL :D :D

It's just before Setanta Ireland on the Sky thingamajig so it's easy to hit the wrong button - that's my excuse anyway. :D
What is amazing about BB is the unfortunatw women trying to talk $hite and fill in the time between phonecalls - how does that site pay for itself??

You know Hamish, it's the greatest load of ******** I've ever had the misfortune of stumbling on. I wonder exactly what you think. I only came across it the night before I left a week ago and the girl came to a pause stayed silent for two mins looking at the camera. It was as if she didn't know what to do next and she couldn't ask someone on live. She was paralysed with fear. :D

For your info, I thought Setanta was 429 and BB was somewhere in the crap fest that is the channels numbered with 200 before Sky Movies. No? :p

hamish
06/08/2005, 9:29 PM
You know Hamish, it's the greatest load of ******** I've ever had the misfortune of stumbling on. I wonder exactly what you think. I only came across it the night before I left a week ago and the girl came to a pause stayed silent for two mins looking at the camera. It was as if she didn't know what to do next and she couldn't ask someone on live. She was paralysed with fear.

For your info, I thought Setanta was 429 and BB was somewhere in the crap fest that is the channels numbered with 200 before Sky Movies. No?

427 is BB/Wrestling/Brazilian Footie, next is Setanta Ireland at 429 (where is 428 ?). Next are a rake of linked channels, Celtic, Rangers, Racing , more Setantas, Prem Plus and more Setantas.
BB switches to the Sky entertainment channels after 9pm - its second last amongst a pile of betting channels at 278.
Actually, I remember that episode you mentioned - I thought she had a bet with the producer as to how long she could stay quiet. :o
Seems that BB is full of good looking students making a few bob on the side??
Did I say students PS?? heh heh :p

Honestly, I really do not watch that channel very much :o - have you seem some of the girls on it - some good loking but some.yeuch. :eek: :D

I'd better stop...the words "hole" and "digging" come to mind.

eirebhoy
07/08/2005, 11:03 PM
Just looking at the table:
http://www.soccerway.com/national/brazil/first

Vasco, Flamengo and Sao Paulo all down the bottom. They're the 3 most recognised teams to me.

And only 4 teams have scored more than Vasco. They still have Romario though. :) Junior Baiano must be getting on if they're conceding 47 goals. :)

Metrostars
08/08/2005, 12:15 AM
Just found out on Friday that I may have to go to Sao Paulo in October on business. Is the season still on then? If so, I'll have to get to a game there.

Poor Student
08/08/2005, 10:25 AM
How is Romario doing? I cannot believe the man's sheer durability.

Gerrit
08/08/2005, 6:51 PM
Reply to why I don't like them:

I don't like big teams. Yes, you can say success has the opposite effect on me than something turning me on. I dislike the atmosphere of the big top teams. "We always have to win, we're better than the rest, we must win trophies every time, we look down on small amateur teams". I don't like that. Professional football is making me very sick sometimes, and always it's because of the "always wanting more" mentality of dominant influent teams. Which is why I cannot support or even like teams such as Barcelona, Madrid (hate them !!) and Juventus.

I prefer the friendly amateur atmosphere. I think I mentionned several times before since I joined this forum, that I prefer the Luxembourg league over the Spanish, that I would support the Cook Islands anytime when they play Brazil.

I just don't like the atmosphere at big clubs. That's also what I like about the EL. The day the clubs grow as big as English first division teams and get 15000 spectators every week, I'd probably leave it and turn into LSL football. Amateur over professional anytime for me, minnow over top team.

Brazil represents everything that I dislike about the big teams. I just dislike them. Just the football. I have nothing against Brazil as a country or their people. I just hate their football team (even though my favourites Norway beat them 2 times out of 3 in the last 15 years ! :D )

PS: don't start about Rosenborg now... We're still a small team in Europe and dominated a league not really notorious for its big stars...

PS 2: there are exceptions. I have a soft spot for Argentina somehow. I do support Norway if it'd be NOR-ARG and I'd also support Luxembourg of San Marino or so against ARG. But I do prefer ARG over the other big ones.

PS 3: hating succesful teams is a bit stupid maybe, but I do feel it's better that way than if I'd have been gloryhunting and jump on the Brazilian bandwagon :)

eirebhoy
08/08/2005, 6:59 PM
How is Romario doing? I cannot believe the man's sheer durability.
Vasco have got a new coach and he wants to build the team around Romario. He's the captain.

Poor Student
08/08/2005, 7:01 PM
Well Gerrit we all draw different things out of the game. Some enjoy the pure emotion of winning. Some enjoy the style of play above the result. Others enjoy the chess like tactical battles in places like the Serie A. Some like it from their armchair and some like to be on the crumbling terraces on a cold dark damp December evening. We don't need to justify ourselves. I must say though, your approach to the game is as unique as I have seen.

Poor Student
08/08/2005, 7:03 PM
Vasco have got a new coach and he wants to build the team around Romario. He's the captain.

I thought I read something bizarre like he was leaving at the end of the season to join Socrates' English non-league side. :confused: Delighted to see the aul fella will keep going. Even into his late 30's he has a bizarre knack of finding the net prolificly without even training though I read a while back he was doing poor this season.

superfrank
08/08/2005, 7:43 PM
Wasn't he at Fluminense? I thought he was going to retire as well. What's he now? 38 or 39??

Kerry Blue
08/08/2005, 8:31 PM
Just found out on Friday that I may have to go to Sao Paulo in October on business. Is the season still on then? If so, I'll have to get to a game there.
You lucky sod!! The Brasileiro doesn't finish until December 4th. Sao Paulo play 3 games at home during October:

8th v. Ponte Preta
23rd v. Santos
26th v. Brasiliense

Of course if you'd rather watch that other team from that city (Corinthians :eek: ) they play the following matches at home in October:

2nd v. Brasiliense
8th v. Fortaleza
23rd v. Parana
30th v. Vasco da Gama

Kerry Blue
08/08/2005, 8:38 PM
Reply to why I don't like them:

I don't like big teams. Yes, you can say success has the opposite effect on me than something turning me on. I dislike the atmosphere of the big top teams. "We always have to win, we're better than the rest, we must win trophies every time, we look down on small amateur teams". I don't like that. Professional football is making me very sick sometimes, and always it's because of the "always wanting more" mentality of dominant influent teams.
Funny that you feel that way and you support a fully professional team like Shelbourne which are probably the richest club in the league at the moment. (I'm open to correction on this but I don't know any other club that has more funds.) Also I have no doubt whatsoever that Shelbourne do want more success and would love to dominate Irish football for years. Therefore I think you'd do better following another team. :p

Éanna
08/08/2005, 8:47 PM
Do you know what that makes you then Éanna................?

.......a barstooler ;) :D :D :D

Kerry Blue
12/08/2005, 11:10 PM
Ponte Preta take on Corinthians this week and the game is live on Channel 425. KO 8pm approx. Ponte are on a slide having lost their last 3 games while leaders Corinthians have only won 1 of their last 4 matches. It's very close at the top with only 3 points separating the top 7 teams.

jorge
12/08/2005, 11:24 PM
Watch Javier Macherano=Quality

Gerrit
14/08/2005, 4:42 PM
Funny that you feel that way and you support a fully professional team like Shelbourne which are probably the richest club in the league at the moment. (I'm open to correction on this but I don't know any other club that has more funds.) Also I have no doubt whatsoever that Shelbourne do want more success and would love to dominate Irish football for years. Therefore I think you'd do better following another team. :p

Well, in Ireland there are no real big teams, are there? Shels have maximum 1000 lads in the ground if they play Harps on a Monday evening.

And I'm also one of the only people at Shels who prefers to stay it the way it is. I personally would hate it if the EL would grow to be like the EPL or so.

Gerrit
14/08/2005, 5:10 PM
Well Gerrit we all draw different things out of the game. Some enjoy the pure emotion of winning. Some enjoy the style of play above the result. Others enjoy the chess like tactical battles in places like the Serie A. Some like it from their armchair and some like to be on the crumbling terraces on a cold dark damp December evening. We don't need to justify ourselves. I must say though, your approach to the game is as unique as I have seen.

Thanks, I usually get less friendly answers to my opinion :) Not that I really care, after all my opinion is as wrong or right as everyone else's, therefor it is an OPINION (= no one single exact truth possible)

Kerry Blue
16/08/2005, 7:03 PM
Corinthians go 2 points clear at the top with a 5-3 win away to Ponte Preta. Parana and Goias move into joint second with victories over Cruzeiro and Flamengo. Sao Paulo win for the first time in 9 matches :D to move out of relegation zone as Flamengo drop down.

superfrank
17/08/2005, 11:13 AM
Imteresting article on the Brasileiro here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_football/4152158.stm)

Kerry Blue
17/08/2005, 5:02 PM
Imteresting article on the Brasileiro here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_football/4152158.stm)
It's an interesting article all right. The thing is, is that there are a few things not mentioned in the piece which might explain the make up of the season and the time it starts and ends. Before the national championship started in Brazil only regional championships existed. These still do today, and are played at the start of the calender year. It means less time for the national championship to be included within the year, which means several midweek games for clubs and travelling all over the massive country of Brazil. I don't see what the problem with the timing of the league is. The majority of Brazil is in the southern hemisphere so their seasons are different. Also several other countries, even in Europe, play their season from spring to winter, like the Scandinavians, east Europeans and ..... o yes....Ireland. The main problem with Sao Paulo was that they concentrated on the Copa Libertadores so they played many reserve players for the Brasileiro. It seems to be costing them now, but with the huge number of matches they have to play in a season, you can't expect them to be close to winning everything. They have already won the Paulista Championship as well as the Libertadores, so to be up at the top of the Brasileiro would have been quiet some achievement.

superfrank
18/08/2005, 1:26 PM
That chap lives there and he does an article every week. I know all about the state championships and it's a pretty big country. How many teams are in it this year 16 or 22?

Kerry Blue
18/08/2005, 7:17 PM
That chap lives there and he does an article every week. I know all about the state championships and it's a pretty big country. How many teams are in it this year 16 or 22?
There are 22 teams in the Brasileiro (42 games) and 20 teams played in the Paulista Championship this year (19 games). I don't follow the other state championships so I'm not sure how many are in each of those, just that there are 27 state championships in total.

Kerry Blue
09/09/2005, 5:14 PM
Sao Paulo beat their great rivals Corinthians 3-2 last Wednesday night to achieve the double over them this season! :D The mega rich Cotinthians have now gone 4 games without a win and are dropping down the table. Sao are slowly moving away from relegation.
The live match this Sunday on Channel 425 sees top of the table Santos take on relegation threatened Flamengo. K.O. is at 8pm.

superfrank
09/09/2005, 10:36 PM
Anyone know how Tevez has been getting on for Corinthians?

Kerry Blue
11/09/2005, 5:18 PM
Anyone know how Tevez has been getting on for Corinthians?
It seems that Tevez has a problem with the way things are going for him (or not as the case may be) according to a recent interview. He claims to be victimised by Brazilian referees. Read more here:
http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/4854562

Kerry Blue
04/10/2005, 6:23 PM
A Brazilian referee is alleged to have accepted bribes to influence the results of matches in the Brasileiro as part of a betting ring. It has thrown the league into turmoil as he officiated at 11 matches this season and it now looks like all 11 matches will have to be replayed. The football authorities in Brazil (not known to be the world's best) have promised a full inquiry into further allegations of match fixing.
More on the story here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4281626.stm

DeLorean
29/11/2016, 11:00 AM
Very sad news from Colombia where the Brazilian soccer team Chapecoense were amongst the deceased in a plane crash.

Some background on the club here- (https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/29/chapecoense-brazilian-football-team-plane-crash-colombia)