PDA

View Full Version : Setanta Cup questions...

ThatGuy
04/08/2005, 12:57 PM
When the competition was announced didn't they say that the second one would be midway through our season and early in the Northern season? Does that mean that it won't be on for another 12 months (at least) ?

Will there be more teams in it next year?

How do you qualify (3 league 1 Cup etc) ?

Poor Student
04/08/2005, 12:59 PM
I don't know about the date but each country will enter 4 teams in the next one. The 4th Irish league side will be the winners of this year's Irish League Cup. The FAI have as of yet to decide how we will choose our fourth entrant. In other words they want to see if UCD win the League Cup so they don't give it to that cup. ;)

ThatGuy
04/08/2005, 1:01 PM
Why not have all Premier teams?

Poor Student
04/08/2005, 1:02 PM
Why not have all Premier teams?

What do you mean?

ThatGuy
04/08/2005, 1:06 PM
Why not have 10/12 from each league?

Poor Student
04/08/2005, 1:08 PM
Not enough room in the schedule for such a big competition. Our seasons only overlap for a month or so. Also I think they want to keep it to a certain minimum to make it a sort of elite competition.

A face
04/08/2005, 1:12 PM
Will the money be the same, now that there are two extra teams in it ??

TheOwl
04/08/2005, 1:18 PM
Why not have 10/12 from each league?

Not a bad suggestion.

You could have eight from each league and make it a 2-legged knockout competition.

First round could be made up of all cross-border games to ensure that everybody gets a chance to play somebody from the other league.

dcfcsteve
04/08/2005, 1:22 PM
Not a bad suggestion.

You could have eight from each league and make it a 2-legged knockout competition.

First round could be made up of all cross-border games to ensure that everybody gets a chance to play somebody from the other league.

Leaving aside the fixture congestion, cost, reduction in overall appeal of the tournament etc - you're effectively suggesting an all-island league of sorts there !

Maybe eventually, but let's at least let the Setanta Cup walk before it enters its first marathon...

pete
04/08/2005, 1:23 PM
AFAIK the competition runs for 3 years. I assumed same time every year as its suits Setantas schedule.

I also do not think its official that there will be 4 teams from each next season. I think its just IFA speculation.

TheOwl
04/08/2005, 1:34 PM
Leaving aside the fixture congestion, cost, reduction in overall appeal of the tournament etc - you're effectively suggesting an all-island league of sorts there !

Maybe eventually, but let's at least let the Setanta Cup walk before it enters its first marathon...

The two teams that make the final would only have to play seven games each with my suggestion. Just two more than in last years competition, hardly a case of turning it into a marathon.

Knockout competitions are far more appealing than group games imo.

dcfcsteve
04/08/2005, 1:42 PM
The two teams that make the final would only have to play seven games each with my suggestion. Just two more than in last years competition, hardly a case of turning it into a marathon.

Knockout competitions are far more appealing than group games imo.

I was talking about a marathon in terms of the number of teams involved.

Loughall v Dublin City anyone.....? :o Also, I can't see half the ties attracting the sort of crowds that would even go near to cover the cross-country expense involved.

It's just way too early to go making drastic changes to the Setanta. It's very, very early days for this competition - let's not forget that it took over 20 years to get to having one earlier this season. There's still some uncertainty around it all, and the security impact is still not cut and dry (Derry may well find themselves in it next season).

Why risk destroying an unproven concept in its early stages by trying to take too large a leap forward. The idea needs to bed-in and slowly increase- hopefully to a point where it will slowly morph into an all-island league.

Poor Student
04/08/2005, 1:47 PM
I think also the quality outside of NI's big three declines more rapidly as you go down the table than our league. Unless Institute's French experiment pays off that is. Attendences are quite low up there and everything. Perhaps they kept it to this minimum with that in mind.

TheOwl
04/08/2005, 2:06 PM
I think also the quality outside of NI's big three declines more rapidly as you go down the table than our league. Unless Institute's French experiment pays off that is. Attendences are quite low up there and everything. Perhaps they kept it to this minimum with that in mind.

There probably isn't enough quality up North to justify eight teams alright. 10 and 6 maybe? I just did a mock draw for a knockout competition with the Top 10 from the EL last year and the top 6 from the Irish League competing. Made it an open draw and this is how they came out

Glentoran vs. St. Pat’s
Derry City vs. Dublin City
Shelbourne vs. Dungannon
Limavady vs. Coleraine
Drogheda vs. Waterford
Cork vs. Portadown
Shamrock Rovers vs. Bohs
Longford vs. Linfield.

Not all classics I admit, but it would be a competition I could get excited about, last seasons Setanta Cup bored me until the final!

Slash/ED
04/08/2005, 2:09 PM
AFAIK the competition runs for 3 years. I assumed same time every year as its suits Setantas schedule.

I'm pretty sure the next one is november, I'd assume November next season otherwise we'd enter the same three teams again.

pete
04/08/2005, 2:13 PM
Group Games are better than Knock Out for attacking play. Draws are no use so teams play to win.

Setanta only want to show the islands biggest & best teams. They would have no interest in show mid table teams. The system needs to keep the same for first few seasons. More teams would mean less cash for each club. The competition is supposed to reward the best teams in each league.